Would you eat this?

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Richard Bell;519417 wrote: From Wikipedia : (civet coffee)

(This process takes place on the islands of Sumatra, Java and Sulawesi in the Indonesian Archipelago, in the Philippines (where the product is called Kape Alamid))

Yes, SUPPLIES ARE LIMITED! ORDER NOW !!

I'm surprised that there are any civets in the Philippines to eat the berries. I

should have thought they (the cats) would all have been eaten up themselves

by now! BTW, the turds themselves aren't at all like those of the domestic cat,

they consist very nearly of only beans (which themselves retain a covering

membrane). I can't think who thought it would be a good idea to use these

beans, though. I haven't had any, and don't think the genuine article is at all

easily available.
Sheryl

Would you eat this?

Post by Sheryl »

What is the name of that fruit that smells awful, but tastes good. I saw something on it on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows.
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Richard Bell;519422 wrote: Not much call for it in these parts, squire....:D

Have you been thinking what I have been thinking about "Rat Recipes" (IIRC)?

"Rat Mure" - Large black rats hurled at the wall by the chef (etc.).
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;519423 wrote: Would it be more accurate to say all of England?

I should think England, Wales, Scotland, as well as France and other parts of

Europe... you should see what they used to eat in olden times! I made a rook

pie, once, with some birds I got myself. It tasted rather peppery, but OK. The

raw flesh of rooks doesn't look all that appetising, though.

What odd dishes are famous in parts of the USA?
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Pinky;519431 wrote: If it's with other stuff, or cooked with sour cream, then yeah.

I can't eat it on i'ts own though.

I know what you mean,..I am that way with tomatoes...I love tomato based dishes, and like them on sandwiches, but they have to be thin slices, and I don't really care much for big chunks of them in salads like some do...
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky;519424 wrote: I'll give most things a try, as long as they're not covered in cheese!

You funny old thing, you. Tomorrow, I'm having a mess of vegetables in cheese

sauce for lunch. Brussels, carrots, potatoes, leeks. Might add some parsnip.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky;519447 wrote: I have the same sort of thing with mushrooms, I like them in stirfrys, but they have to be cut up really small!

Blast. You have reminded me that I've got some artichokes in the 'fridge, but I

think they went mouldy a while ago. There's a courgette in there, too, from the

late Summer. I suppose that'll have to go, too.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bill Sikes;519441 wrote:

What odd dishes are famous in parts of the USA?

Well in accordance to history I would have to say alot...but as for the overwhelming accepted majority of cuisine I wouldn't really know because I myself have heard people say things were disgusting that we have here and I actually like.

For instance (I wouldn't exactly say that some of these are mainly stricken to America alone, but most are delicacies here).

Fried Green Tomatoes - I love fried green tomatoes

Collard greens and spinach and various other types of greens - I absolutely love spinach, and other greens, although I haven't tried collard greens(I don't know if they mean spinach when they say that because I tend to only hear Collard greens in reference to the south)

Here are some that I found from the U.S.

Three-fried Beans

(US South) Refried beans, battered, and then fried again.

Cactus Apples

(US Southwest, Mexico) A red or purple fruit found growing on beavertail cactus plants. Remove CAREFULLY, roll it around in the sand then skin it with a sharp knife (try not to get stuck by the needles) and slice into disk-shaped sections for eating as a finger food. The purple ones taste like cranberry and the red ones taste like pear. Notes: The juice leaves bright stains. You may want to spit the seeds out. Family gatherings in the outdoors often turn into cactus apple hunts. Kids are always encouraged to help hunt and then eat some. Do not eat more than three at a time. You will get constipated.

Ramps

(USA South) A very strongly flavored member of the onion family. The first fresh green vegetable to appear after the winter in Appalachia, it is gathered and ceremonially eaten. This can leave such a powerful flavor on the breath that kids do it in order to be sent home from school. Wonderful ramp stories are told in the American folklore collection called "Pissing in the Snow, " edited by Vance Randolph.

Grits

(USA South) Cereal made of hominy, which is blanched white corn meal.

Fiddlehead Ferns

(USA Northeast) These are the sprouting, curled tops of new ferns, which resemble the head of a violin. They are eaten as a springtime vegetable. Unusual, but is it so weird? Here's an article in the October 8, 1994, Vol. 146, no. 15, Science News.

Just as undercooked meat or fowl can make a meal sickening, so, too, raw or lightly cooked ostrich fern may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Though harvested commercially for years in the northeastern United States and in western Canada as a seasonal delicacy, Matteucia struthiopteris seems to be the common element in several outbreaks of food poisoning this past may, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention CDC in Atlanta. At one time, native Americans in eastern North America considered this fern a spring vegetable, one adopted by Canadian settlers in the 1700s, the CDC notes. Nevertheless, in New York, one restaurant received complaints from 40 people who ate fiddleheads sautéed for 2 minutes, while no one who ate similarly harvested ferns cooked 10 minutes at another eatery experienced symptoms. Likewise three outbreaks occurred in western Canada, two at restaurants that also cooked the ferns just briefly. Health department officials tested uncooked ferns for bacterial and pesticide contamination but found neither. Nor did they track any other possible causes, the CDC reports in the Step. 23 Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. They conclude that the ferns may contain a toxin that adequate cooking--steaming for 10 minutes or boiling for 15 minutes-- destroys.

Fried Frog Legs

(US South)

Edited --

Clay

(US South) In Georgia & Alabama, in the Southeastern United States, there are rural, generally poor, pockets where eating a particular type of chalky, white clay called "kaolin" is common. People claim to crave it, and it's use is particularly common among pregnant women.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Oh yeah

Cray fish(I believe is the name in the south)

Craw dad (Midwest)

Is popular, but I believe it's also popular in the Scandinavian countries too, but I can't remember...Perhaps it's popular across the globe, but I know people in the south eat it regularly here.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky;519451 wrote: Sounds like it Bill, or you may just discover your very own form of penicillin.

Ah! Once so pert and fresh, but now....

Attached files
RedGlitter

Would you eat this?

Post by RedGlitter »

Sheryl;519432 wrote: What is the name of that fruit that smells awful, but tastes good. I saw something on it on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows.

The Durian fruit. It's supposed to be delicious but smells like fermented death. :wah: It's so bad that hotels even have signs that read "NO DURIAN ALLOWED" because someone just eating one in their room can foul up a whole hotel wing.

I live in Arizona and we have nepalitos ( think that's the right spelling?) which are the skinned flat pads of the prickly pear cactus. Also we make candy and jelly out of prickly pear fruit. I've had the candy and it tastes very light not heavy but it's mostly sugar in my opinion. :)

Forgot to answer K's questions, sorry!

I would not eat that nasty seaweed, or those things like duck babies,feet, crow pie, brains, liver,rabbits, deer, etc.

I would try the fried pickles, kim chee and I wonder about the bananas- I've eaten dehydrated bananas which were really good and sweet but they weren't all black. Maybe it's not the same thing.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;519514 wrote: The Durian fruit. It's supposed to be delicious but smells like fermented death.

Hm. I think they smell quite nice, actually. Fruity.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Pinky;519478 wrote: I hope you're talking about the ingredients of your fridge

Part of the corgette towards the centre of the pic. is now in with the pots.,

carts, brussels, leeks. They smell good! I must go & take them off the hob.
RedGlitter

Would you eat this?

Post by RedGlitter »

Bill Sikes;519562 wrote: Hm. I think they smell quite nice, actually. Fruity.

Really? I've never been near one but I rememeber a tv showwhere they were discussing exotic foods and people were given Durian to try. They were actually getting sick from the smell. It must be some kind of defense mechanism to protect the plants from predators, I would guess.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

RedGlitter;519566 wrote: Really? I've never been near one but I rememeber a tv showwhere they were discussing exotic foods and people were given Durian to try. They were actually getting sick from the smell. It must be some kind of defense mechanism to protect the plants from predators, I would guess.

I've no idea, perhaps it was a bit of play-acting, to increase interest? You can

get durian sweets, a little like fudge, which are nice, and do contain a good hint

of durian. You can also get it in syrup, in tins; or vacuum packed. It's quite a big

fruit, you split it open, and eat the pulp from the cavities inside (there are also

brown stones, about the size of a fresh date, which are inedible). In parts of

the world where they grow, they are far too expensive for ordinary people to

eat frequently. When you buy them, the vendor will (of certainly should!) allow

them to be split, so that the readiness of the fruit can be more easily assessed.

There's not much "meat" compared to the bulk of the fruit!
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

jesse b;519569 wrote: sweet bread on the grill love em

Ah, sweetbreads. Delicious. Where do you get yours?
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

jesse b;519606 wrote: hard to get since mad cow

That's sort of what I meant, I thought that the restrictions might have been lifted.
Bryn Mawr

Would you eat this?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I'm surprised that you've not brought out the old favourates :-

Ox Tail soup

Ox Tongue (or Pork)

Black Pudding (blood and cerial sheeps intestine)

Deviled Kidneys (a standatd British breakfast in former years)

Braised Ox Heart (pot roast for at least 5 hours in a very cool oven)

Tripe and onions (lining of the stomach)

Liver and Lights (lungs)

Chitlins (intestines)

Brains on toast (a bit gritty but OK)

Trotters

It has truely been said that the only part of a pig that you don't use is the squeek!
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Statement - :yh_sick

Question - absolutely none of it.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Would you eat this?

Alligator on a Stick

(US South) Chucks of deep fried alligator (tail part, battered in corn meal, seasonings, probably similar to snake recipe) served on a 10 inch wooden skewer. Seen mostly at outdoor festivals. Has a chewy consistency like undercooked pork. Most people balk at the thought of eating one of these large lizards. When washed well, these can be cooked as anything you like and flavor is close to fried fish, chicken nuggets, or roast BBQ ribs. Mainly from South Louisiana.

Turtle Eggs

(Nicaragua) They look like a boiled ping pong ball. You make a small rip in the soft shell, maybe add a few drops of hot sauce, and then suck the raw contents down, followed by a shot of rum.

Iguana

(Mexico, Honduras, Belize, Panama) In the Yucatán Peninsula, people eat iguanas (also called "Gallina de Palo" (tree chicken) or "Bamboo Chicken") as if it was some sort of farm animal, or some sort of hunting animal, they hunt it in their own houses or in the forest, there are Iguanas of the size of a dashund dog that live in peoples backyards, In my house there are several of them, Yucatecan People even have a Special Cuisine for Iguanas, cause they have recipes of "How to make Iguana Tacos" and a lot more recipes.

Texas Rattlesnake

(USA south) Sent to us by the Sweetwater, Texas, Chamber of Commerce. The Sweetwater Jaycee's 'World's Largest Rattlesnake Roundup' is held each year in March and hundreds of pounds of rattlesnake meat is cooked and served by Chief Chef Corky Frazier."

Snake Blood

(Thailand) According to a recent TV documentary this is served freshly-harvested from King cobras, either as a straight cocktail or a mixed drink, for prices ranging up to $USA 200. The blood is supposed to have medicinal and sexual powers.
Boogalette

Would you eat this?

Post by Boogalette »

K.Snyder;519246 wrote: After doing a few food threads, and thinking to myself how people may find some of the foods I love to be utterly discusting(Okra - Spinach etc. etc.).

I then couldn't help but to think about some really bizarre things that I myself wouldn't go near(Haggis and liverwurst for instance)...

So I'll post some things I have been reading about and ask if any of you would eat it...

I'll post a number of them from time to time, and try to give a brief description of it, and you can say whether you would eat it or not...

Kim Chee

(Korea) Fermented cabbage. The cabbage is soaked in a tub containing salt and red pepper. It is usually left for several weeks before serving, but can be stored for months in clay pots buried underground. Takes on a hot vinegar taste after fermentation

Dried bananas

(Brazil) They're black, wrinkled, dry and sweet. No refrigeration necessary.

Fried Dill Pickles

(USA South) Umm...the name speaks for itself.

Dulse

(Maritime Canada) Dried purple seaweed sold in Atlantic Canada at convenience stores. Should have bits of green algae, small stones, flotsam, and so on, adhering. Eaten as is with relish by the locals. Grotesquely disgusting. Probably poisonous. Possibly could be used with caution as a garden fertilizer.

I would have to say, that I would probably try the fried dill pickles, but as for the rest I wouldn't feed it to a goat.

Hi, I'm new, and I thought I'd try a forum that I knew I'd like...food!

As for the list, my least fav would be the bananas. The first one reminds me of sauerkraut, I like dill pickles, so I think I would try them, and I am from the Canadian Maritimes, so I like dulse very much! When I tell people what it is, they get all 'ewww', but then I ask them if they like sushi, and if they do, I explain that a similar product is in that as well.

It's also very low fat, and chewy.:)
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.~ De Seuss
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

dede35;522316 wrote: Hi, I'm new, and I thought I'd try a forum that I knew I'd like...food!

So you you begin with this thread?

I have to admire your versatility.

I love food too...

I still won't eat haggis.
Boogalette

Would you eat this?

Post by Boogalette »

K.Snyder;522366 wrote: So you you begin with this thread?

I have to admire your versatility.

I love food too...

I still won't eat haggis.

It was the dulse that grabbed my attention:D .

I introduced myself in the intro board, and then I browsed a bit.

And I won't eat haggis either.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

How do any of you feel about eating sushi?

I myself don't like the idea of eating uncooked meat...was wondering what all of you thought about that.
Boogalette

Would you eat this?

Post by Boogalette »

K.Snyder;522403 wrote: How do any of you feel about eating sushi?

I myself don't like the idea of eating uncooked meat...was wondering what all of you thought about that.

I'm an amateur when it comes to this dish. To make myself happy, I discovered that sushi is vegtables and cooked fish, while sashimi is the raw. I really do enjoy it. It's a bit intimidating at first, but what a great lunch! Wasabi, the horseradish side, it potent, but yummy!

I'm not big on raw anything. My family is of Scottish descent and we overcook everything! :wah:
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

dede35;522438 wrote: I'm an amateur when it comes to this dish. To make myself happy, I discovered that sushi is vegtables and cooked fish, while sashimi is the raw. I really do enjoy it. It's a bit intimidating at first, but what a great lunch! Wasabi, the horseradish side, it potent, but yummy!

I'm not big on raw anything. My family is of Scottish descent and we overcook everything! :wah:

Well if I prepare any of it, it will definitely be cooked...I don't know what the infatuation is with eating raw fish, but I don't intend to find out. I don't necessarily overcook my food, but I do like it cooked!
Patsy Warnick

Would you eat this?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Theres something about sushi - I hust haven't brought myself to try it.

I love all seafood - all shell fish,snails etc.. I can't bring myself to try sushi - I'm usually on vacation, guess I don't want to be sick while on vacation - haven't tried it.

Patsy
CARLA

Would you eat this?

Post by CARLA »

I have traveled a lot as well and have tried many strange foods once.. that is it, some I had to pass on...:lips: Just knew I couldn't swallow them..

Give me a good Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich and a big glass of Milk and I'm an happy camper.. :D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Patsy Warnick;522471 wrote:

I love all seafood - all shell fish,snails etc..

Patsy

What about Crawfish?
Patsy Warnick

Would you eat this?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Crawfish - are you kidding me - wonderful.

I truely like all seafood & have tried most everything >

I suppose you haven't - & wouldn't ??

Patsy
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Patsy Warnick;522539 wrote:

I suppose you haven't - & wouldn't ??

Patsy

Nah.

What does it taste like?
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

K.Snyder;522403 wrote: How do any of you feel about eating sushi?

Raw fish can be OK... raw meat is nice. Try thinly slicing some rump steak or

similar, and having it in a sandwich with just some butter, sea salt, and a

touch of freshly-ground black pepper. Wonderful! The steak should be good

and well matured.
Bill Sikes

Would you eat this?

Post by Bill Sikes »

Try raw tuna, pickled overnight in palm vinegar, drained, and dished up with

with a mixture of fresh salad vegetables.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Bill Sikes;522849 wrote: Try raw tuna, pickled overnight in palm vinegar, drained, and dished up with

with a mixture of fresh salad vegetables.

I wouldn't trust any supermarket claiming the tuna they are selling is fresh enough to eat raw...I do see Tuna being prepared with minimal heat, and it doesn't sound bad...
Chookie

Would you eat this?

Post by Chookie »

K.Snyder;519246 wrote: ......think about some really bizarre things that I myself wouldn't go near(Haggis and liverwurst for instance)...

Why do you think Haggis is bizarre? Do you know what's in a haggis?

K.Snyder;519246 wrote: Dulse

(Maritime Canada) Dried purple seaweed sold in Atlantic Canada at convenience stores. Should have bits of green algae, small stones, flotsam, and so on, adhering. Eaten as is with relish by the locals. Grotesquely disgusting. Probably poisonous.

You may get dulse in the Maritimes, but it originates in Scotland and Ireland. The Welsh equivalent is Laver bread.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
RhondaLu

Would you eat this?

Post by RhondaLu »

[QUOTE=Chookie;523547]Why do you think Haggis is bizarre? Do you know what's in a haggis?

Nomad?
Chookie

Would you eat this?

Post by Chookie »

RhondaLu;523559 wrote: [QUOTE=Chookie;523547]Why do you think Haggis is bizarre? Do you know what's in a haggis?

Nomad?

That would be bizarre.
K.Snyder

Would you eat this?

Post by K.Snyder »

Chookie;523547 wrote: Why do you think Haggis is bizarre? Do you know what's in a haggis?

Yes, yes I do know what's in haggis. :wah:

I hated liverwurst more than anything I've tried, and someone whom likes liverwurst told me they hated haggis and thought it was dreadfully awful, so I am hesitant in trying it for that reason alone...the minced up liver, heart, and lungs, wrapped in a sheep's stomach and then cooked doesn't help things much either.

Chookie;523547 wrote:

You may get dulse in the Maritimes, but it originates in Scotland and Ireland. The Welsh equivalent is Laver bread.

ok
Chookie

Would you eat this?

Post by Chookie »

The unfortunate fact that someone likes liverwurst (or not) has no bearing on the eating or not of haggis.

The eating of haggis (for the poor unfortunate foreigner, does not involve the ingestion of the worlds best liquids), for us natives though............

Another thing, K, your tastebuds are not the same as your liverwurst loving pal.

You can't dismiss haggis, cullen skink, clabby doos or bridies without trying them.
novak

Would you eat this?

Post by novak »

Can't believe I'm an Aussie and cannot stand Kangaroo. Very popular here, sold in supermarkets and also on menus in all the better restaurants (as is emu). Just can't come at eating our national emblems

Return to “The Kitchen”