Celebrity Chef question for UK'ers

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Does anyone know if this UK chef, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall, had a tv show where he visited local people to inquire about their cooking style?

I'm a big fan of "Food Network" and in fact any show that portrays chefs cooking and using local ingredients especially filmed in their own country.

Before "Food Network" became so famous, I remember seeing this UK chef filming a few shows in England. One show was about a local woman who made meals out of flowers, another showing the firemen's cooking at the firehouse and a third show about local man cooking delicious meals in his wee kitchen.

I believe that I saw his show around 15 years ago...about the time when "The Two Fat Ladies" shows appeared in the USA. Like the "Two Fat Ladies" I thought this chef was was so lovely to watch and listen to...

Unfortunately, his show was gone after only watching 3 episodes. I'd like to know more about him.

Thanks for your help.

www.rivercottage.net/
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

He's a very popular, unassuming chef. What you might call a traditional "farmhouse" type chef, who rears and grows his own food.

Well known for his campaigns for ethical treatment and production of meat and for using natural, locally found produce
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Snowfire;1262837 wrote: He's a very popular, unassuming chef. What you might call a traditional "farmhouse" type chef, who rears and grows his own food.

Well known for his campaigns for ethical treatment and production of meat and for using natural, locally found produce

Thank you Snowfire...exactly what I thought. He seemed to be lovely man and very, very interesting. I loved looking at the different types of UK homes with their furnishings and appliances....as compared to ours.

Do you know if he had a tv show where he visited the locals?
abbey

Post by abbey »

RiverCottage.net :-6
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Kathy, I love Hugh and about three years ago on our way to Pembrokshire he passed us in his landrover lol...(One of my claim to fames:yh_rotfl)

Was the show your talking about called Cook on the Wild Side?

He has done lots of different shows Kathy, his Riverside Cottage show is on every week.

Cook on the Wild Side - Episode 1 | Free Lifestyle Videos - Watch Lifestyle Videos Online | Veoh
abbey

Post by abbey »

Cook on the Wild Side - Episode 1 | Free Lifestyle Videos - Watch Lifestyle Videos Online | Veoh#
abbey

Post by abbey »

oops snap chez! :D
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Don't think I've ever seen this fella Ms Kathy - I'll have to go look him up now, thanks:-6
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

abbey;1262860 wrote: oops snap chez! :D

do you think we have the same google chap? :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kathy... I have a deep loathing and hatred for most British celebrity chefs... far too egotistical. I loathe Gordon Ramsey and Jamie Oliver etc. But I do love Hugh and watch him when-ever I'm home. :)
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, thank you so much Abbey, Chezzie, Floppy and Oscar. I am thrilled beyond words to finally have found him. I've been looking for info on this chef for years....15 yrs. I think:confused:

I just googled....hugh fearnley whittingstall youtubes and have quite a few of them...I have next weekend free so I'll be watching them all weekend. Plus I'm going to buy all of his books. I have $100s in gift certificates to Barnes and Noble.

I adore looking at the UK countryside in his videos.

I'm thrilled beyond words....Thanks for all of your help.

btw Oscar...I agree with you about Jamie and Ramsey. I used to like Jamie, but he seems too full of himself and Ramsey is very nasty....:thinking:

Oh, Chez...You must have been thrilled to bits...;)
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh, I do love your man, Hugh:-6

Just watched part one of "Cook on the Wild Side." It was spectacular. Hugh spent time with 2 vegans and their baby eating flowers:wah::wah:, then he was catching eels and crabs on a fisherman's boat in Cornwall and trying to catch fish off of a rocky area with the sea pounding all around him. He finished up the show cooking fish soup for the captain of the boat and the scuba lady who taught him all about seaweed.

Thank you everyone. I will be watching his shows over and over.

I've always wanted to walk the Cornish coast as my friends did, and I will one day.

I hope to buy the whole series...must look online today:p
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

So sad.....I can only find dvd's formatted for UK not USA. Will keep looking but at least I can watch some on youtube. I'd have to buy a multi-regional player to view them....~sigh~
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I dont know if this is convenient Kathy E but I've just streamed an episode over the net using this site.

River Cottage - Watch Catch up Episodes Online | 123WebTV

It transfers you to other sites (in this case UK's Channel 4 ) and you have to suffer a few advertisements but the picture quality was fine and there seemed to be quite a lot of episodes available.

Sadly, searching for dvds in your format came up with a zero. I hope this satisfies your thirst for a bit of H F-W :D

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

.....In fact I'm now watching Christmas at River Cottage. Great stuff

Winston Churchill
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Snowfire;1264857 wrote: I dont know if this is convenient Kathy E but I've just streamed an episode over the net using this site.

River Cottage - Watch Catch up Episodes Online | 123WebTV

It transfers you to other sites (in this case UK's Channel 4 ) and you have to suffer a few advertisements but the picture quality was fine and there seemed to be quite a lot of episodes available.

Sadly, searching for dvds in your format came up with a zero. I hope this satisfies your thirst for a bit of H F-W :D

Oh, that is brilliant Snowfire...Thank you so much.:-6I didn't see that one and have saved it to my favorites.

I have seriously been looking for this fella for 15 years and so glad that I've found him with the help of the UK'ers...;)

I might invest in one of those media region players if I can find one cheap enough.

Thanks again. I'm in Heaven now:wah:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Kathy Ellen;1264861 wrote: Oh, that is brilliant Snowfire...Thank you so much.:-6I didn't see that one and have saved it to my favorites.

I have seriously been looking for this fella for 15 years and so glad that I've found him with the help of the UK'ers...;)

I might invest in one of those media region players if I can find one cheap enough.

Thanks again. I'm in Heaven now:wah:

What is a media region player?:-3
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1265269 wrote: What is a media region player?:-3

A multi-region player.

To make more money the manufacturers of DVDs encode them differently for each continent - you cannot but a cheep DVD from the US and play it in Europe unless you have a more expensive multi-region player and vici verci.

We're so used to it over here that you hardly find a region 2 only player for sale any more.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

flopstock;1265269 wrote: What is a media region player?:-3

Here's some info on a dvd player that is region free...

Make your DVD player region-free in seconds | Wise Bread
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Kathy Ellen;1264853 wrote: So sad.....I can only find dvd's formatted for UK not USA. Will keep looking but at least I can watch some on youtube. I'd have to buy a multi-regional player to view them....~sigh~

Just a thought, but I sorted my mums dvd player the other day to multi-region. It is possible to do, you need the make and model of your dvd player to check out whether it can be done on your model. :-6
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Kathy Ellen;1265371 wrote: Here's some info on a dvd player that is region free...

Make your DVD player region-free in seconds | Wise Bread

Ah, you may have found out how to then...
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Betty Boop;1265373 wrote: Just a thought, but I sorted my mums dvd player the other day to multi-region. It is possible to do, you need the make and model of your dvd player to check out whether it can be done on your model. :-6

Thanks Betty...Just saw your post. I will try to see if I can decode this mystery this weekend on my dvd players. I probably can:D...hope so....I'd love to buy all of Hugh's UK tapes:-4

Return to “The Kitchen”