Buying Fish

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
Lon

Buying Fish

Post by Lon »

There is no such thing as fresh fish. Unless you catch the fish yourself and then cook it straight on, more than likely the fish has been iced down or frozen after it was caught.

I love Barramundi (Australian fish) and since I live in California the barramundi that I buy has been frozen, and perhaps for some time. I can buy two frozen fillets for $2.90 USD which seems extremely reasonable to me considering the distance the fish has traveled. However, the same two fillets at another outlet sells for $8.65 USD. I assume that both outlets are making a profit, but what a big difference in price.

What do you pay for fish where you live?
minks

Buying Fish

Post by minks »

Lon;1269537 wrote: There is no such thing as fresh fish. Unless you catch the fish yourself and then cook it straight on, more than likely the fish has been iced down or frozen after it was caught.

I love Barramundi (Australian fish) and since I live in California the barramundi that I buy has been frozen, and perhaps for some time. I can buy two frozen fillets for $2.90 USD which seems extremely reasonable to me considering the distance the fish has traveled. However, the same two fillets at another outlet sells for $8.65 USD. I assume that both outlets are making a profit, but what a big difference in price.

What do you pay for fish where you live?

wow we get salmon fillets fresh (well not frozen) for about $4.00 per fillet. Other fish is higher, but then again it cost big bucks to ship across them mountains (pffft or so they say gawd trucks travel that route a bazillion times a day.)

Just a side note, they did a cross canada study of food prices in a handful of major cities and this fair city pays on average 7% more for our food. Why cause we supposedly can afford to as we are the rich kids on the block...:-5 sure how all did you survey when it comes to pay hmmmm Ok done
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Lon

Buying Fish

Post by Lon »

I like salmon almost as well as barramundi and the price of salmon has gone up quite a bit due to somewhat of a shortage. The Sacramento river near where I live has had diminishing salmon catches over the past few years and the Northwest and Alaskan salmon has always been a bit pricey. Coho salmon is my favorite of all the salmon. Atlantic salmon has always tasted a bit bland to me and the color is pale compared to Pacific salmon.
YZGI

Buying Fish

Post by YZGI »

My favorite fish is Walleye. I think I pay around $240.00 a lb for it after you figure in my boat, rods and reels, lures, gas, life jackets and beer.
Odie

Buying Fish

Post by Odie »

YZGI;1269556 wrote: My favorite fish is Walleye. I think I pay around $240.00 a lb for it after you figure in my boat, rods and reels, lures, gas, life jackets and beer.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Life is just to short for drama.
FUBAR

Buying Fish

Post by FUBAR »

YZGI;1269556 wrote: My favorite fish is Walleye. I think I pay around $240.00 a lb for it after you figure in my boat, rods and reels, lures, gas, life jackets and beer.

Jeez.............you take $238 of beer with you in a boat............:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
YZGI

Buying Fish

Post by YZGI »

FUBAR;1269651 wrote: Jeez.............you take $238 of beer with you in a boat............:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Pretty much, I always take one of my sons with me to drive home.:D

Return to “The Kitchen”