Top 50 Best Breakfasts in the World

Discuss food, drink, and recipes.
tabby

Post by tabby »

Top 50 Best Breakfasts of the World

Oh my, these all look delicious to me! Okay, maybe not all of them ... but only because I can't positively identify some of the main ingredients but probably 98% of them I would try with very little encouragement needed!

Enjoy!
spot

Post by spot »

Go on, there can't be fifty varieties of edible breakfasts anywhere.

I'll list what qualifies:

Curried Kedgeree made with smoked haddock

Kippers with buttered bread

Devilled Kidneys

Fried sausage fried egg fried bacon fried mushrooms and fried bread within reach of a bottle of vinegar and a salt-cellar

Poached egg on toast

Boiled egg with soldiers

Cheese and mushroom omelette with buttered bread

and at a pinch, if you've a lot to stoke up for, fish and chips

all served with mugs of tea

There aren't any others I know of and I've a lot of practice in this area.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

This was listed as a Welsh breakfast, just what is the crap on the toast?
spot

Post by spot »

Rabbit, so they say. I can make it though not for breakfast, that's a mid-afternoon snack.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

spot;1373092 wrote: Go on, there can't be fifty varieties of edible breakfasts anywhere.

I'll list what qualifies:

Curried Kedgeree made with smoked haddock

Kippers with buttered bread

Devilled Kidneys

Fried sausage fried egg fried bacon fried mushrooms and fried bread within reach of a bottle of vinegar and a salt-cellar

Poached egg on toast

Boiled egg with soldiers

Cheese and mushroom omelette with buttered bread

and at a pinch, if you've a lot to stoke up for, fish and chips

all served with mugs of tea

There aren't any others I know of and I've a lot of practice in this area.

NO !!!!!

Fish and Chips ? .........these people will think we are all savages.

Vinegar on a fried breakfast.......never ever...no no no.

A touch of ketchup or brown sauce if you must.

And if they served me eggs with crackly edges like that first picture I would send em back quick........
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
tabby

Post by tabby »

Spot, I had to google "kedgeree" ... that was a new one to me! Sounds much more interesting than my usual bowl of buttered grits!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1373094 wrote:

This was listed as a Welsh breakfast, just what is the crap on the toast?
Commonly called cheese on toast, although it really is not just cheese on toast.

Here is a fair recipe

And it's called rarebit not rabbit............nice with a poached egg on top too.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1373095 wrote: Rabbit, so they say. I can make it though not for breakfast, that's a mid-afternoon snack.

Wrong.

Welsh Rarebit. There Is a world of difference between grilled cheese and a Welsh Rarebit.

Ingrediants for Welsh Rarebit are Mature Cheddar Cheese, finely chopped onions, dried or fresh sage, 3 tablespoons of brown beer, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Cayenne Pepper.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

I don't, to be honest, remember mentioning grilled cheese at all. Perhaps my memory's faulty.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373103 wrote: I don't, to be honest, remember mentioning grilled cheese at all. Perhaps my memory's faulty. No you didn't mention grilled cheese granted but you did say 'Rabbit'

'Rabbit Is grilled cheese, nothing more.... Welsh Rarebit Is an entirely different recipee.

A Buck Rarebit' Is a Welsh Rarebit but served with a lightly poached egg on the top.

Grilled Cheese Is a US Abomination that some believe Is a Welsh Rarebit. Go to Wales and ask for grilled cheese or a Welsh 'Rabbit' as you put It, and they are likely to set the dogs on you.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373106 wrote: 'Rabbit Is grilled cheese, nothing more....Utter cobblers, you make it up as you go along. Check a competent dictionary or cite a reputable cook-book.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1373100 wrote: Wrong.

Welsh Rarebit. There Is a world of difference between grilled cheese and a Welsh Rarebit.

Ingredients for Welsh Rarebit are Mature Cheddar Cheese, finely chopped onions, dried or fresh sage, 3 tablespoons of brown beer, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce and Cayenne Pepper.

That may be your version of the recipe, but THE classic rarebit has no onions or herbs and has flour and milk.

It is basically a thick white sauce with everything else slung in, thick enough to be rolled out like pastry or formed like playdoh.

Was me that called it cheese on toast, as many call cheese on toast Welsh Rarebit in error.
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1373096 wrote: NO !!!!!

Fish and Chips ? .........these people will think we are all savages.

Vinegar on a fried breakfast.......never ever...no no no.

A touch of ketchup or brown sauce if you must.

And if they served me eggs with crackly edges like that first picture I would send em back quick........

Spam Fritters, Brown sauce and fried eggs.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373107 wrote: Utter cobblers, you make it up as you go along. Check a competent dictionary or cite a reputable cook-book.

How To Make Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit!)
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373110 wrote: How To Make Welsh Rarebit (aka Welsh Rabbit!)And that supports your contention "Rabbit Is grilled cheese, nothing more" how, exactly?
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373111 wrote: And that supports your contention "Rabbit Is grilled cheese, nothing more" how, exactly? Simply because, If you took your average person In the street and asked them what Welsh Rabbit Is, as you put It, they would say, cheese on toast.
spot

Post by spot »

Whereas, when you look to competent resources, they all agree Rabbit's an alternate spelling for Rarebit? Right down to the website you chose to quote? I think you just ran out of road, oscar.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

And the Great Welsh Rabbit debate of 2011 the year of our lord continues!!!

I'll take an order with fried eggs please..
spot

Post by spot »

tabby;1373097 wrote: Spot, I had to google "kedgeree" ... that was a new one to me! Sounds much more interesting than my usual bowl of buttered grits! One tends not to move much in the following hour. One of my sons cooked a respectable kedgeree last week and invited me to try it, I was quite pleased with him.
Lon

Post by Lon »

There are many, but here are a few of my favorite breakfasts/ with coffee of course.

Attached files
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

spot;1373118 wrote: One tends not to move much in the following hour. One of my sons cooked a respectable kedgeree last week and invited me to try it, I was quite pleased with him.

I googled it also, sounds good, like a fish and rice casserole.
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1373120 wrote: I googled it also, sounds good, like a fish and rice casserole. It Is. I prefer mine with smoked Haddock.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373125 wrote: It Is. I prefer mine with smoked Haddock.

It's amazing how much like Odie you sound sometimes.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373132 wrote: It's amazing how much like Odie you sound sometimes.

First... Yzgi says 'I googled It, It sounds good'' I write 'It is' meaning It is good.

Your problem Is that you read between the lines and second guess posts. It's all rather tiresome and In fact, It Is you who Is more reminiscent of Odie, In that members find the need to constantly correct you when you have assumed wrong, as In you assuming yesterday that I was writing about you when I was writing about an entirely seperate episode late last year.

Now there Is you hypocrisy... Last night you complain of my writing about Odie and yet here we are, less than 24 hours later with you making reference to her.

Finally, once again, another thread Is taken entirely off topic by you throwing In references to Odie and snide comments.... It's all becoming very boring.
theia

Post by theia »

Thick slice of toast, buttered with Lurpak and covered with Roses Lime marmalade
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373134 wrote: First... Yzgi says 'I googled It, It sounds good'' I write 'It is' meaning It is good.I'm thinking of the number of threads today that you've tied round into a circle by forgetting or ignoring what's already been written. It's getting to be habitual.
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1373135 wrote: Thick slice of toast, buttered with Lurpak and covered with Roses Lime marmalade

Breakfast?

You call that breakfast??

It might, at best, constitute a course.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373136 wrote: I'm thinking of the number of threads today that you've tied round into a circle by forgetting or ignoring what's already been written. It's getting to be habitual.

Why can't a member post In a thread with another member without you Infesting the posts like a lepers scabs? Believe It or not John Spotty, other members like to post with other members besides you. It Invariably makes a forum Interesting.

You seem to home In taking threads off on tangents with snide references to Odie like a demented, one winged wasp flying In circles.

When you have something Interesting to offer Instead of this troll like ability to critisize posts, then I may take you off Ignore.
Oscar Namechange

theia;1373135 wrote: Thick slice of toast, buttered with Lurpak and covered with Roses Lime marmalade I prefer Clover but oh yes, Roses Lime Marmalade !!!
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

%$**&en Hell !!!!!!

Now then.....................what were we talking about ?
Oscar Namechange

Bruv;1373141 wrote: %$**&en Hell !!!!!!

Now then.....................what were we talking about ? Exactly !!!!

Spam Fritters Bruv ? or what about Eggy bread?
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

I will stick with my 2 boiled eggs, a piece of fruit and a yogurt with a big glass of water.... :)
Oscar Namechange

WonderWendy3;1373165 wrote: I will stick with my 2 boiled eggs, a piece of fruit and a yogurt with a big glass of water.... :)

What about some lovely black pudding?

Attached files
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

oscar;1373168 wrote: What about some lovely black pudding?

Yeah, I googled it and ummmm, no thank you in my sweetest tone of voice. Anything with "blood" in the name of the type of food just doesn't go over well with me. Plus, I don't eat any meats except seafood and poultry.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

oscar;1373143 wrote: Exactly !!!!

Spam Fritters Bruv ? or what about Eggy bread?

My favourite breakfast is a fry up with chicken liver beside the bacon.

2 lightly fried eggs, a halved tomato fried caramelised nearly burnt, some thick decent bacon cooked quickly with it's surface seared brown, a large grilled mushroom, golden fried white bread, some chicken liver lightly fried, a couple of slices of crispy fresh baked bread with butter and a cup of black unsweetened coffee.

I am salivating now............
ellieR

Post by ellieR »

I would say bacon and eggs fried with hash brown potatoes, wheat bread toast and coffee with cream.:)

I do like grilled cheese with tomato soup (comfort food). Not sure about the Welsh meal but must be good.
Oscar Namechange

ellieR;1373185 wrote: I would say bacon and eggs fried with hash brown potatoes, wheat bread toast and coffee with cream.:)

I do like grilled cheese with tomato soup (comfort food). Not sure about the Welsh meal but must be good. My Mother always religiously stuck to the recipee of Welsh Rarebit but like you, I enjoy tomato soup and grilled cheese at night as comfort food.

Hash Browns have caught on In England and most cafe's sell them now with a fried breakfast.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373197 wrote: Hash Browns have caught on In England
Traditionalists, on the other hand, fry mashed potato.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1373198 wrote: Traditionalists, on the other hand, fry mashed potato.

I just wish you hadn't mentioned fried mashed potato, spot. I wasn't hungry at all until you did...that lovely golden crispy coating.

Mind you, it no longer tastes like it did when I was young. I think everyone used lard then.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

theia;1373199 wrote: I just wish you hadn't mentioned fried mashed potato, spot. I wasn't hungry at all until you did...that lovely golden crispy coating.

Mind you, it no longer tastes like it did when I was young. I think everyone used lard then.

Talking of fried mashed potato, you just reminded me... Bubble and Squeak with fried eggs :-4

Hash Browns are potato and onions... different all together.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1373200 wrote: Hash Browns are potato and onions... different all together.One's not surprised at one's ignorance. One has never browned an hash.
theia

Post by theia »

oscar;1373200 wrote: Talking of fried mashed potato, you just reminded me... Bubble and Squeak with fried eggs :-4Hash Browns are potato and onions... different all together.

Bubble and Squeak...oh yes
Oscar Namechange

spot;1373202 wrote: One's not surprised at one's ignorance. One has never browned an hash. Hash Browns must not be confused with Irish Colcannon which again Is entirely different.

Colcannon consists of Potatoe, Curly Kale or Spring Cabbage and scallions ( spring onions). Most prefer to eat the Ingrediants as a mash but Is also delicious fried once prepared.
Oscar Namechange

theia;1373204 wrote: Bubble and Squeak...oh yes Oh yes, especially with parsnip and brussel sprouts.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Bruv;1373179 wrote: My favourite breakfast is a fry up with chicken liver beside the bacon.

2 lightly fried eggs, a halved tomato fried caramelised nearly burnt, some thick decent bacon cooked quickly with it's surface seared brown, a large grilled mushroom, golden fried white bread, some chicken liver lightly fried, a couple of slices of crispy fresh baked bread with butter and a cup of black unsweetened coffee.

I am salivating now............

Thats a lot of food. Do you start breakfast in the morning and finish when you go to bed at night.

My favorite breakfast: Fried potatoes, onions, sausage or bacon whip up some eggs and scramble them in, top with shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, and a dab of your favorite hot sauce.
Oscar Namechange

YZGI;1373210 wrote: Thats a lot of food. Do you start breakfast in the morning and finish when you go to bed at night.

My favorite breakfast: Fried potatoes, onions, sausage or bacon whip up some eggs and scramble them in, top with shredded cheese, diced jalapenos, and a dab of your favorite hot sauce.

What's a bacon whip?

In Fife Scotland, they have been known to deep fry left over kebab from the night before for breakfast, It's alleged.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1373214 wrote: What's a bacon whip?

In Fife Scotland, they have been known to deep fry left over kebab from the night before for breakfast, It's alleged.

It is forgetting a comma. Bacon, whip up some eggs.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

oscar;1373214 wrote: What's a bacon whip?

In Arkansas they'll fry up an old leather boot for breakfast.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

YZGI;1373210 wrote: Thats a lot of food. Do you start breakfast in the morning and finish when you go to bed at night.
How can you say that then give this list ?

That is more a dinner.
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Are you sure Hash Browns contain onions ?

My recipe would use grated potato with a bit of seasoning only.

Return to “The Kitchen”