Quitting need help !!!

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
persephone

Quitting need help !!!

Post by persephone »

If this isn't in the right place then someone who can, please move it.

Please give me ideas on what to do to get past the cravings.

I'm attempting to stop smoking, the cravings are now getting worse, and I'm going crazy... Crazy to the extent that I'm really not thinking properly and just made myself look very silly :o

I have two assignments to get done and I can't focus. It would be so easy to light up and say I'll stop again after I've written them, but I've made it 6 days and I'm not going to give up on giving up.

Sugestions please.
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
gmc

Quitting need help !!!

Post by gmc »

Every time you want to buy a packet of cigarettes instead take the money and throw it in the canal. Financially the end result is the same and you will be healthier because of the walk down to the canal.

Personally I gave up when i was twelve. Tried it, threw up never touched it since. Tried a pipe but decided posing was not a good reason to smell like an ashtray.
koan

Quitting need help !!!

Post by koan »

Good luck!

If it comes down to it, get one of your mates to lock you in your room and deliver your assignments for you. Punch your pillow. (always a good idea). Let all the energy from the craving out of your body so its not stuck in there bouncing around. Scream, unless you have touchy neighbours.

If you make it through. Stop. Remember how horrible it was to quit. Imprint that on your mind and never light another one again. You can never have "just one smoke" again. And this is a good thing.
MiwSher

Quitting need help !!!

Post by MiwSher »

You've made it 6 days? Congratulations! I'm trying to quit smoking as well, but I have been using the nicotine gum. Tried the patch but I couldn't handle the ultrapsychotic dreams. I admire your will power. I can't go cold turkey.

Drinking very cold water (preferably with ice in it) whenever you have a craving may help. It does for me somewhat.

Hang in there!

MiwSher
Diagonally Parked in a Parallel Universe ;)
persephone

Quitting need help !!!

Post by persephone »

gmc wrote: Every time you want to buy a packet of cigarettesI don't want to buy a packet, I just want to smoke. Funny though, I went into a shop yesterday and an automatic thing happened while I was paying for a magazine, I asked for 20, my mate shouted at me and the shop kepper laughed, as I went very red.

Koan wrote: If you make it through. Stop. Remember how horrible it was to quit. Imprint that on your mind and never light another one again. You can never have "just one smoke" again. And this is a good thing.Thanks, and I was thinking, at least when I'm doing all that health promotion I can relate more with it now.

MiwSher wrote: You've made it 6 days? Congratulations! I'm trying to quit smoking as well, but I have been using the nicotine gum. Tried the patch but I couldn't handle the ultrapsychotic dreams. I admire your will power. I can't go cold turkey.I'm on patches, not going cold turkey, but I'm only using the 16 hour ones, my thinking was I never smoke in my sleep why do I need 24 hour patches.

Reading all the leaflets from Nicorettes though I should be on the microtabs, for the amount I used to smoke, I think that might be why I'm craving so bad at times, I've reduced the nicotine more than is comfortable according to them.

Good luck to you too by the way.

KlatunIckto wrote: awwwwwwww hec go ahead enjoy life is short here have a cuban ceegar' lmao :( :yh_sick :)
Bad Girls have very high standards, but they love you even if you sometimes fall short.
greydeadhead

Quitting need help !!!

Post by greydeadhead »

Hang in there.. the cravings will lessen. It took me 8 trys to actually quit smoking and I smoked for the better part of 20+years. One thing that helped me was that I tried not to do things that led to me lighting a smoke. That is prolly difficult in your case.. especially if you light one when you were stressed or completing work for school.. Anyway.. hang in there.. you can do it.. and you will feel better later on.. have a great day and be well...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
Bill Sikes

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Bill Sikes »

letha wrote: Please give me ideas on what to do to get past the cravings.

I'm attempting to stop smoking, the cravings are now getting worse, and I'm going crazy... Crazy to the extent that I'm really not thinking properly and just made myself look very silly :o

I have two assignments to get done and I can't focus. It would be so easy to light up and say I'll stop again after I've written them, but I've made it 6 days and I'm not going to give up on giving up.

Sugestions please.

I stopped a few months ago. No-one *needs* to smoke. You know this. If

you stop, your inner mind will try to get you to start again. It will say "just

one", or "You've been without for a while, you deserve one now, just one",

"You are stressed, a cigarette will help, after all you haven't had one in a

while", that sort of thing. You will have to become slightly schitzoid, and laugh

at that part of your mind. You know, in yourself, that you do NOT *need* to

smoke. If you were cut off completely from tobacco, say on an island, where

there was *NO* 'baccy available, well, you might *think* "Oh! I'd quite like

a smoke, but there isn't any tobacco or cigarettes, so I can't - never mind" -

you see? It would be impossible to get any, you *could not* borrow one

from a friend, go to the off-licence or shop or supermarket - you would not

worry about it so much, because you *and* your mind would *know* that

it was impossible to get any! So try to imagine that sort of thing. When your

mind tells you "There's a packet of cigarettes on the table, one won't hurt"

then catch yourself, and laugh at it - why is it telling you that? You know you

don't need it! That was a silly thing to try and get you to do! And you were

*so* nearly caught!! Hah! Not that time! What a ridiculous thought, you are

giving up!! That means you will *never* smoke again. Never. You're just going

to stop. You can live without it. You did before you started, and will again. "Just

one, it'll help you concentrate" - Bugger off you stupid thought!! I've *given up*!

Think it! Every time part of your mind tells you you'd like a smoke, and suggests

a plausible excuse, think how stupid it is! Why is it even suggesting such a

thing! You've stopped smoking! You will not smoke again! *Think it!*

I should lay off the patches too. It's only a bit of nicotine. No harm in that,

but you don't need it. The longer you keep it up, the harder it will be to avoid

having a fag, with all the gunge that you (yes, you!) make *yourself* breath

into your lungs. One won't hurt, will it (Bugger off stupid thought!!). You've

smoked for a while. Your lungs aren't pink, they are black. The sooner you

stop, the sooner they can start to clean themselves up a bit. You are likely to

live a bit longer. You are very likely indeed to improve your life. Will you be

out of breath climbing up the stairs when you're 40? On oxygen when you're

60? Skin all wrinkly and pasty-looking? Pah, balls to all that. You don't need it.

You'll look a bloody sight sillier if that happens. Remember, you've stopped.
Peg

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Peg »

There was just a thing on television. Check out http://www.quitnet.com It is a support site for those trying to quit smoking.
gmc

Quitting need help !!!

Post by gmc »

I see they are going to ban smoking in some public places in England, that might help as well, breal the conditiong, drink, smoke, party.
A Karenina

Quitting need help !!!

Post by A Karenina »

Run up stairs. Run as many flights as you can, up and down if you don't have a tall building - but keep running until you can't breathe. You'll quickly remember why the heck you're doing this.

Then drink a whole glass of water. Eat an orange or something else that tastes fresh. Look at something pleasant while you eat. Then go back to work.

Sounds stupid, I know. Just try it and see if it helps. :)
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
persephone

Quitting need help !!!

Post by persephone »

A Karenina wrote: Run up stairs. Run as many flights as you can, up and down if you don't have a tall building - but keep running until you can't breathe. You'll quickly remember why the heck you're doing this.

Then drink a whole glass of water. Eat an orange or something else that tastes fresh. Look at something pleasant while you eat. Then go back to work.

Sounds stupid, I know. Just try it and see if it helps. :)
Well at least if I do this at work I'll be in the right place for when I collapse :wah:

Seriously though, my friend and I ran round to the shop the other day and I already noticed a difference... I also do not have such a productive cough now... Although I expect that to come back with a vengence.
Bill Sikes

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Bill Sikes »

letha wrote: I also do not have such a productive cough now... Although I expect that to come back with a vengence.

It's interesting... since stopping smoking, I have had two nasty colds,

including coughing, aching bones, etc. Previously, I haven't had such a

thing in years - probably 10 years!
persephone

Quitting need help !!!

Post by persephone »

Bill Sikes wrote: It's interesting... since stopping smoking, I have had two nasty colds,

including coughing, aching bones, etc. Previously, I haven't had such a

thing in years - probably 10 years!The productive cough was a from my lungs having to everyday clean out the crap that I was filling them with.

It's just the same as bronchitis. I just expect that there's more to come at some point.

How long have you not been smoking?

Withdrawl is supposed to give you cold/flu-like symptoms. My neck and back are killing me and that isn't just from work.
Paula

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Paula »

Butts are on the outs, smoking is no longer in style, anywhere; why should others breath stinky. I smoke a bit here and there, have never been a BIG puffer, but at times with good wine, i have a few butts. No-one likes it here so if needed outside. I average about (1) package a week of the smokies... :o
Everyone has these on their face? TULIPS.
Bill Sikes

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Bill Sikes »

letha wrote: The productive cough was a from my lungs having to everyday

clean out the crap that I was filling them with. It's just the same as bronchitis.

I just expect that there's more to come at some point.

A bit of exercise will help get rid of that, pub walking is good if you're in the

right area.

letha wrote: How long have you not been smoking? Withdrawl is supposed to

give you cold/flu-like symptoms. My neck and back are killing me and that isn't

just from work.

I stopped in July. My smoking mind does not speak to me very often now. There

is a pouch of tobacco on a shelf at home, with a few ready-made cigarettes. I

have not wanted to touch them. I have told myself that if I do it'll kill me. I have

not experienced cold/flu-like symptoms, just colds/flu! Perhaps the neck/back

ache are a sign of some other change related to stopping smoking, such as

sleeping in a different position, doing more exercise, or similar? Don't let your

mind tell you a cigarette will help!! If it does, tell it not to be so B- stupid!

N.B. I've still got a bit of a cough. I suppose I've damaged the ciliated epithelium

in my lungs. Maybe it'll improve in the (hopefully) years to come.
Hopalong

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Hopalong »

Hello Letha

I've read all the posts (replies) from those offerering advice . Well, I smoked for almost 35 years and have not smoked now for more than 10 years. I will tell you how I did it and that it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done. YOU -CAN DO IT . You must believe that - it's true - you can , and if you want to YOU WILL.

If you have not smoked a cigarette for even 5 days your doing great. Smokingdoes significant damage to almost every organ in the body. Its really taking a little poison every day.

If you can stop for just 21 days the cravings and the craziness will begin to go away and will be gone not long after that.

Dont let anyone tell you that its easy -it is not - it takes a lot of real courage - truthfully it is almost as powerful an addiction as herione. You may still want to smoke even years later - but you will find that the memory of how bad it was will stop you from starting again . This is no small issue and is really a matter of life and death. Believe that you can take control of your life . It may sound preachy - but you really have to take control and believe in yourself. You control it - it does not control you.

In fact, many have found it easier to stop drinking than to stop smoking.

Go to an AA meeting sometime and witness how many are still strong smokers when they have'nt had a drink in months or years.

Here's how I did it -

I made a promise to myself ( those are the hardest to keep and easiest to break since no one knows but you) - the promise I made was that I would stop smoking before my 50th birthday . I started by gradually reducing my consumption until I was down to 1 cigarette a day. It took me almost 10 months. _ This DOES NOT mean that this is the way for you - you have already gone beyond that and are nearly there . Dont give in - your closer than you realize to being free . The cough and other aspects like weight gain are normal . They will go away with time.

After a few months you will notice how much better you feel and you will begin to see the benefit of how much money is no longer going up in smoke.

Stick with it - you will thank yourself over and over again.

Hopalong
Me Mo

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Me Mo »

I was on 40 a day and it was hard for me to stop but I found to kick start myself use the cigarette patchs for twothree weeks then after that tell yourself you don't ever want to go though that again in approximately 4 weeks you will start to notice things including the small of smokers that will keep you on the straight and narrow.. you will put on weight but deal with that after BTW friends who smoke want you to fail ( sorry ) but thats what I found

good luck anyway Me Mo
If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man: Mark Twain
Clint

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Clint »

I quit about 23 years ago after smoking 20 years (60 a day at one point). A neighbor had just lost his wife to lung cancer after she smoked her whole life. We were talking outside and I ran out of smokes so I asked my son to go in the house and get me another pack. While my son was gone, my neighbor asked me if I realized that I was teaching my son to die like his wife did. I quit that day. I was so committed to quitting that I would wake up in the middle of nightmares, in which I had a cigarette in my hand. If you aren’t committed to quitting, you won’t.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
Paula

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Paula »

you are young--stay smoke free, any form, you will have a better life & more people will want to be around you?
Paula

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Paula »

16 Days Today NO BUTTS!!!! No patch or PILls, i just said -- that's IT!

I can breathe so much better now....
capt_buzzard

Quitting need help !!!

Post by capt_buzzard »

HELP. I'm still smoking the old weeds. I can smoke the pipe too. Wish I could quit both. I've tried more times to stop.:-1
Paula

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Paula »

The torture to change is worth extra years of life..Its been 6 weeks and i am doing fine. I am proud to be a NON SMOKER. YES! ;)
stigletz

Quitting need help !!!

Post by stigletz »

persephone;9318 wrote: If this isn't in the right place then someone who can, please move it.

Please give me ideas on what to do to get past the cravings.

Sugestions please.try chantix i used it and i am quit now for 3 months
Odie

Quitting need help !!!

Post by Odie »

stigletz;1321364 wrote: try chantix i used it and i am quit now for 3 months

that was in 2004, I think persephone has made a decision by now.:wah:
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”