Your Mother

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
theia

Your Mother

Post by theia »

What sort of relationship do you, or did you, have with your mother?

What do you think you have learned from it?

Is there anything you would like to have changed in your relationship with her?

How important do you think her influence has been in your life, and do you think you are similar to her in some respects?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
chonsigirl

Your Mother

Post by chonsigirl »

I have a very close relationship to my mother, I talk to her several times a week. We are 3,000 miles apart, but it is like she is just around the corner from me.:-4
buttercup

Your Mother

Post by buttercup »

theia;737230 wrote: What sort of relationship do you, or did you, have with your mother?

Its always been a rollercoaster ride, i think it always will be

I'm still learning from it

Yes, i wish we were closer

How important do you think her influence has been in your life, and do you think you are similar to her in some respects?

Sometimes i see similarities, more so as i get older, she is important to me, she does influence me but she doesent think she does

Its nice to see you posting Theia :-4
theia

Your Mother

Post by theia »

buttercup;737238 wrote: Sometimes i see similarities, more so as i get older, she is important to me, she does influence me but she doesent think she does

Its nice to see you posting Theia :-4

Thanks, Butter...good to see you again. And thanks for your response too, Chons.

My relationship with my mother has been difficult a lot of the time but now that she is in her mid eighties, I would like to appreciate the better aspects of it instead of the other stuff that seems to haunt me.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
weeder

Your Mother

Post by weeder »

As of today, I have not spoken to my mother in 18 months. She asked me to leave her house last June, because she didnt like an opinion I had, regarding a bad situation she was in. Than incident was the third time she either threw me out, locked me out, or asked me to leave. She also hangs up the phone on you, if she doesnt like something you say. My mother was a tremendous influence in my life, and she is responsible for many of the good qualities I have, that have helped me in professional situations. Her guidance did not help me in social circumstances, as she despises most people, and has never had any interest in interacting with others. I do not think that I am like her at all, and my greatest fear would be to become like her. She is bitter, angry, resentful and vengeful. In her defense I must say that sad and difficult circumstances in her life are responsible for her attitudes. However, I have known many people who having gone through similar traumas, dealt with them in a different way, and managed to lead happy lives. My mother does not like me. I make her feel ( unintentionally ) inferior and weak. She measures herself against ways that I have handled situations, and she feels embarassed in front of me. The price she has paid for bottled up anger and resentment is poor health, and rapid aging. The situations with my mother is very sad, and I am surprised that I dont really give it much thought. The reason for this, is that she has made me feel so bad, on so many ocassions that I am not interested in tangling with any of it. there is no getting through to her, and no changing her. So, at this point I just leave it alone.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
abbey

Your Mother

Post by abbey »

She's my best friend

Lots and lots of patience.

I always kissed her when I was leaving, for some reason, maybe because we spent so much time together we stopped doing it.

Maybe I should start again. :thinking:

I would'nt say she has influenced my life but I do try to follow by example.

We are like chalk and cheese.
chonsigirl

Your Mother

Post by chonsigirl »

When they are older, you have to forgot the harder parts of life with them.

I do this with my grandmother, she turned 98 this week. She is a little grouchy at this point in life, and I must be happy to still have her here. But it is hard, when she asks me everytime, when am I coming home to stay. I cannot answer her, when I do not know. I feel sad, and wish I could do what she wants, to make her happy.
Peg

Your Mother

Post by Peg »

My mom will be 75 tomorrow. Her body is still with us, but her mind isn't. It's rough, but I realize how lucky I am to have had her for this long. She was not supposed to live past her teen years. She was not supposed to have children and live through it. She had four of us. She and my dad taught us right from wrong. They taught us to work hard for what we wanted. They taught us to try to treat everyone nicely, but to also stand up for ourselves. All in all, I'd say I am pretty darn lucky. :-4
minks

Your Mother

Post by minks »

:-4My mom is my very best friend. She will turn 70 on the 20th of this month. I just finished christmas shopping with her about an hour ago. She is of sound mind and body, I could not love anyone more than her. I have always been exceptionally close to my mother she is an amazing person. She has been married to my dad for 49.5 years which is an amazing feat if you know my dad hehehe I love him dearly too.

She has been a huge influence in my life, she has always been my support in many a decisions even when some were totally idiotic. I can't say enough about her, she deserves sainthood in my eyes.

She is prolly the reason why I am how I am with my daughters and grandson. Open minded, loving, yet firm, with a great sense of humor

I Love You Mom

PS my mom has the most suitable name for her which is ... Joy. :-4
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
RedGlitter

Your Mother

Post by RedGlitter »

My mother was truly my world. The absolute heart of our home.

From her I learned love, loyalty, backbone, perseverance and to always stand up for the underdog. And to be fair. My mom had the greatest sense of fairness I've ever known. I learned class comes in many forms and my mom was a class act to the minute she left this earth. That's all I can say without writing a book here. My mom was a good woman.
Patsy Warnick

Your Mother

Post by Patsy Warnick »

My Mother and I were never close - not even friends. My Mother had her favorites out of 6 children, I was not one. I ran away from home when I was 5 yrs. old, so what does that tell you. My Mother was strong and strictand in some ways jealous of me. In the '70s, I went @10 yrs not speaking , writing, acknowledging her.

I allowed my Mother back into my life @ 1990, since I figured I would be left dealing with my feelings if & when she died. We shared time together although there was still tension at times, but I wasn't intimidated by her so I was able to ask questions no other child dared to say. My Mother died July 1995, she wasn't afraid to die, as that was one of my questions. I am thankful for the time we shared. Friends and I know she was proud of me.

What did I get from my Mother besides scars - the older I get the more I really look like her. I got her strength.

My husband will tell me at times - You are your Mother Child

Patsy
theia

Your Mother

Post by theia »

My brother was always my mother's favourite, it showed and naturally it hurt. But not as much as the relationship she developed with my brother's ex wife back in the mid nineties. I could almost accept the fact the my brother was favoured over me, it happens a lot, but now I was faced with my role as daughter, however flawed, being threatened.

Over the past ten years I have put up with being told how wonderful, faultless and caring this person is and how my mother couldn't cope without her. I've flounced, I've tried to compete, I've tried to let it all go and to not let it affect me. And just when I think I'm managing it, this person will pass on an uncomplimentary comment that my mother has made about me. The "classic" happened about nine months ago when my mother left me a message on my answerphone and then didn't replace the handset properly. I was treated to several minutes of being spitefully referred to as "she" by the pair of them.

Ironically, neither could stand the other when this person was married to my brother, but now, they are inseparable. When I'm at my worst I see the pair of them as two of the witches from Macbeth. But that's just to get me through...deep down I'm talking about my mother, and I love her. And there's a lesson here somewhere for me, something to do with valuing myself...
WonderWendy3

Your Mother

Post by WonderWendy3 »

theia;737230 wrote: What sort of relationship do you, or did you, have with your mother? She is my best friend and I love her more than words can express. My hero, strong, kind and heart of gold.

What do you think you have learned from it? I've learned to be a loving woman, slow to judge others, and that coupons are not something to be ashamed of!:wah:

Is there anything you would like to have changed in your relationship with her? I would like to not have to depend on her to help me with the boys, I would like to be financially able to give her enough money that her and Dad don't have to work anymore, and they can do what they "want" to do!!

How important do you think her influence has been in your life, and do you think you are similar to her in some respects? Her strength through really tough times has taught me to be strong. I watched her fight cancer with every ounce of her being and she is still here to help people through it 11 years later!:-4

I guess I am a lot like her, more than I ever thought...I am a giver and I try not to judge people:-4

Big hugs to Theia.....:-4:-4:-4
sunny104

Your Mother

Post by sunny104 »

we have not spoken in almost 8 years, my life is more peaceful this way.

She should've given me up for adoption since I wasn't wanted anyway.....

oh, well. :rolleyes: having them as parents didn't affect my sunny disposition but it did make me stronger and I'm grateful for that. :-6
Chezzie

Your Mother

Post by Chezzie »

I love my Mum, shes not always made the right choices in life and at times myself and my two elder brothers suffered due to those bad choices. Shes a hard worker, shes still working 6/7 days a week in a factory on a shift pattern @ 65 years old.

We have great fun when we are together but as she works so much my kids dont get to see her that much but they are sleeping over on Saturday as its my works do so im very pleased formy girls as they are well excited.
moonpie

Your Mother

Post by moonpie »

I may not have any riches in life, but one thing I was very rich with was my mother's love. She was a very good, caring mother, and I feel sorry for anyone who never had that from their own. She was the glue in my family. It was just 6 years ago at the end of October when mine passed away. She was a good decent woman to one and all, and I do miss her too.
Betty Boop

Your Mother

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;737372 wrote: My brother was always my mother's favourite, it showed and naturally it hurt. But not as much as the relationship she developed with my brother's ex wife back in the mid nineties. I could almost accept the fact the my brother was favoured over me, it happens a lot, but now I was faced with my role as daughter, however flawed, being threatened.

Over the past ten years I have put up with being told how wonderful, faultless and caring this person is and how my mother couldn't cope without her. I've flounced, I've tried to compete, I've tried to let it all go and to not let it affect me. And just when I think I'm managing it, this person will pass on an uncomplimentary comment that my mother has made about me. The "classic" happened about nine months ago when my mother left me a message on my answerphone and then didn't replace the handset properly. I was treated to several minutes of being spitefully referred to as "she" by the pair of them.

Ironically, neither could stand the other when this person was married to my brother, but now, they are inseparable. When I'm at my worst I see the pair of them as two of the witches from Macbeth. But that's just to get me through...deep down I'm talking about my mother, and I love her. And there's a lesson here somewhere for me, something to do with valuing myself...

Hugs for you hunni! :-4 Are you valuing yourself yet?

Mothers and daughters, nightmare lol there is a saying that 'whatever you don't deal with yourself your children will show you' so apply that to your mum and look at it from that perspective for a while ??

You are a wonderful lady, my little girl was talking about you just the other day, these were her words 'Mum, can we go and see that nice lady that gave me the sheep, I think she may want the sheep back, she may be lonely'
theia

Your Mother

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;737612 wrote: Hugs for you hunni! :-4 Are you valuing yourself yet?

Mothers and daughters, nightmare lol there is a saying that 'whatever you don't deal with yourself your children will show you' so apply that to your mum and look at it from that perspective for a while ??

You are a wonderful lady, my little girl was talking about you just the other day, these were her words 'Mum, can we go and see that nice lady that gave me the sheep, I think she may want the sheep back, she may be lonely'

Oh bless her, she's such a sweetie :-4

Could you just explain the "perspective" bit again. It sounds useful but I'm having a :-2 day...can't even work out the sayings on the Wad Juice thread :-5
Betty Boop

Your Mother

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;737617 wrote: Oh bless her, she's such a sweetie :-4

Could you just explain the "perspective" bit again. It sounds useful but I'm having a :-2 day...can't even work out the sayings on the Wad Juice thread :-5

You always challenge me lol give me five :)
Betty Boop

Your Mother

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;737617 wrote: Oh bless her, she's such a sweetie :-4

PM'd you a load of gobblediegook, good luck! :wah:
PurpleChicken

Your Mother

Post by PurpleChicken »

Great thread, one that brings a divergence of answers.

Me well, I'm pretty close to my mum. She lives a few hrs away, but the phone can span the difference.

I have learned so much from her, that it is hard to say. but perhaps more than anything, it has been generosity of time. My folks have never had a lot of money (nor have they been bad off - pretty much average joes), but they have always had time to devote to their community, or family, or friends. I guess no matter how much or how little money we have, one of the most important things we can give is our time.

Like probably most kids, I went through quite a few year as a child and a teenager where I had no time for my parents. Lost myself in my own darker world and somehow just shut them out. I would like to have been closer to both my parents during those years, as I think it would make us even closer now.

We are very similar in a lot of respects. I am probably more stubborn and more inward. We are certainly very similar in our values and for that I am grateful to her!

:-4
Nomad

Your Mother

Post by Nomad »

My mother is gone now.

Funny, that just about sums it all up.
I AM AWESOME MAN
along-for-the-ride

Your Mother

Post by along-for-the-ride »

This is a pic of my Mom at 19, when she met and married my Dad. I came around a year later as the firstborn.

Wasn't she lovely?

I miss her warm hugs, her sweet singing voice, her sense of humor. I miss our chats and our walks.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Accountable

Your Mother

Post by Accountable »

theia;737230 wrote: What sort of relationship do you, or did you, have with your mother?

My mom died just before my 13th birthday. I don't remember much, but from all I've learned I think it best that she left while I still idolized her. She gave me a good foundation to build from, though.
kinks

Your Mother

Post by kinks »

I've always been close to my mum and we got even closer when my dad dies when i was 11.

My mum is also my best friend, we can talk about anything and everything. She's always been so loving..to all of us.

We live so far apart now, but we either always talk on the phone, msn or at least txt eachother everyday and i do find it hard not seeing her that often, when i lived at home, we would always cuddle up on the couch and watch a movie together, go for walks, have nice long chats and have a really good laugh together.

When she does come to visit or i visit her, we still do all that and it's even more special because we spent so much time apart and it could be a year or so before i see her again, so we make the best of the time we have together.

What i got from her......loving, careing, sense of humour, the best cuddles in the world, sensitivity......oh .... and my artistic side but also got that from my dad as well, he was very artistic.

:-4:-4:-4:-4
Imladris

Your Mother

Post by Imladris »

I adore both my parents. My relationship with my mum was more difficult when I was in my teens, I always felt she favoured my brother but then my dad has always been my champion.

My mum and I got closer when I left home. We are now good friends but it's funny that she doesn't tell me if she thinks I'm doing well - she tells my dad who then tells me!!

I'm turning into my mum, I hear her voice and laugh sometimes coming out of my mouth! I say her sayings etc but in character I'm more like my dad.
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
weeder

Your Mother

Post by weeder »

Those of you who write about wonderful relationships with your mothers are so fortunate. If I allowed myself to dwell on it, I would feel incredibly sad about the way things have turned out with me and my mom. I look like her clone. When preparing lectures for gardening clubs, I would open by saying " My mom taught me the names of trees and shrubs, when I was just a little girl. She was the one with the green thumb, and so its surprising to me, that I make my living in this field. I would sometimes take her to the lectures with me. I always hoped she knew, that my comments were a tribute to her, and the love of growing things that she passed on to me. She taught me how to behave socially. How to present myself in all of lifes circumstances. From job interviews, to funerals, to dates. She did a good job raising me. It seems that as I grew stronger, she grew weaker, and it was unpleasant for her. I have had some of the same heartaches and dissapointments in life, that she has had. We could have grown to be two women sharing with each other, and helping each other. She became so focused on every hurt that she has, that she shut out the whole world. It isnt just me who she cast off, its pretty much everyone. I watched her give up on everything. When I would try to motivate her to fight, and not give up, she decided she didnt want me around. And so, I leave it this way. Not speaking. I just always remember the good things about her, and secretly hope that she would miss me someday, and ask to see me. If she doesnt, she will probably leave this world without saying good bye to me.
Uncle Kram

Your Mother

Post by Uncle Kram »

All the qualities in me I like I attribute to my Mom

All the qualities in me I dislike I attribute to my Dad

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
ilona17

Your Mother

Post by ilona17 »

Me and my mother haven't always had the best relationship.

I'm only young and when i was a teenager i went through some things and we used to fight a lot. But we've sorted that out now and we have a good mother/daughter relationship.

I really respect her & look up to her. She's to me the best mum anyone could ask for.

I respect her for courage and strenght and i love her for that too. She's always done her best for me and giving me everything that she had. And you really cant ask for more then that.

She's really an inspiration to me, when the day comes that i become a mother, i'll be proud if i'm half the mother that she's been to me.
[QUOTE]:DLive Everyday Like It's Your Last :-6[/QUOTE]
weeder

Your Mother

Post by weeder »

Strange that I should have this experience yesterday, just after trying to post a kind of nice tribute to my mother, whom I do not speak to. I bumped into a friend ( hadnt seen her in a couple of years) seems she called my mother this past November to ask for my phone number which she lost.

My mom knows this woman well. She would go and visit my mother for me, while I was away living in Georgia. My mother said " I dont know anyone by that name ( Laura ), and dont call here again. Then she hung up on my friend. Thats the kind of cold hearted, bird dung, cruel crap my mother lays on people. And that is why I do not speak to her, I guess one of us will be leaving this life, without having said good bye. Happy New Year, Laura.

Aint life grand? Spend a lifetime trying to become a better person, but you cant clean up the crap in your own back yard. Says a lot about what I know about anything. The good news is that for some strange reason......I feel nothing. It hasnt upset me at all.
theia

Your Mother

Post by theia »

weeder;758798 wrote: Strange that I should have this experience yesterday, just after trying to post a kind of nice tribute to my mother, whom I do not speak to. I bumped into a friend ( hadnt seen her in a couple of years) seems she called my mother this past November to ask for my phone number which she lost.

My mom knows this woman well. She would go and visit my mother for me, while I was away living in Georgia. My mother said " I dont know anyone by that name ( Laura ), and dont call here again. Then she hung up on my friend. Thats the kind of cold hearted, bird dung, cruel crap my mother lays on people. And that is why I do not speak to her, I guess one of us will be leaving this life, without having said good bye. Happy New Year, Laura.

Aint life grand? Spend a lifetime trying to become a better person, but you cant clean up the crap in your own back yard. Says a lot about what I know about anything. The good news is that for some strange reason......I feel nothing. It hasnt upset me at all.

Sure? :-4
weeder

Your Mother

Post by weeder »

Ha ha ha... I KNEW you were going to say that.... I will only be sure when it is too late. But then, that will be her final revenge. So at least one of us will be happy.
Accountable

Your Mother

Post by Accountable »

weeder;758798 wrote: Strange that I should have this experience yesterday, just after trying to post a kind of nice tribute to my mother, whom I do not speak to. I bumped into a friend ( hadnt seen her in a couple of years) seems she called my mother this past November to ask for my phone number which she lost.

Aint life grand? Spend a lifetime trying to become a better person, but you cant clean up the crap in your own back yard. Says a lot about what I know about anything. The good news is that for some strange reason......I feel nothing. It hasnt upset me at all.You're not responsible for everything, y'know. :-6

ps: Please copy this over to the Gay thread as well, okay?
weeder

Your Mother

Post by weeder »

Hopefully, Ill accept that concept before I die. It would be a tremendous relief. Do you do counseling?:)
usernew

Your Mother

Post by usernew »

My mother is my life. She is not only my mother but a good friend too, she is always help me in my bad time. I think she is the best mother in the whole world.
birdseed

Your Mother

Post by birdseed »

mom is a great friend to me. I talk to her daily--see her weekly. She is terrific to vent to--sometimes critical--but comes fom a place of love. :)
Mutley

Your Mother

Post by Mutley »

As of tomorrow I will have had no contact with my mother in 15 years apart from the one phonecall from her to tell me my darling Gran had died. I asked when the funeral was and she told me it had been the day before she phoned me.

This is the sort of thing she liked to do. She and her husband are alcoholics and I suffered from their drunken behaviour in many ways.

I can honestly say that I have disliked her from the day I was 6 and she told me that she wished she had aborted me but she was too scared in case it hurt her. She never wanted me and when my half sister was born when I was 15 it became even more obvious. I moved out immediately and moved in with my Gran who had always been there for me.

I have no regrets about our relationship at all and I do not envy peeps who have great relationships with their mum. I had my Gran for 13 years and that more than made up for the total abuse I received from my so called Mother and her husband.
Patsy Warnick

Your Mother

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Mutley

Your response it a nerve...

I had a similar mother daughter relationship - or - lack of. We never got along.

I ran away when I was 5 years old - she opened the front door for me. I wasn't wanted - I wasn't her favorite out of 6 kids..!! it was obvious - and my sister and I talk about it to this very day.. still upsetting..

I hadn't spoke or acknowleged my mother from @ the age of 19 until @ the age of 36.

When communications did open I had rules - certain issues/people were not allowed to be discussed. etc..

I opened communications - I needed to release my hate - I needed to try for honest answers..?

I needed to be civil and hopefully friends for myself.

We actually had some fun times and we were both finally at peace with our relationship.

I Thank God for my decision - we only had @ 8 years.

Hopefully some day in the future - you'll come to release the hate and make

Peace for yourself however that may be.

You'll know the right time - Focus on you right now - join a activity (dance) /gym to release your feelings

I wish you all the best

If you ever feel like talking - PM me

Patsy
Chockygirl

Your Mother

Post by Chockygirl »

My mum is basically a kind and caring person,but I've never felt very close to her at all.

When I was a kid,my older sister was my mum's confidante and I just didn't really seem to have a place in the family,and as a consequence,I distanced myself emotionally from her.

She also has another side to her personality and has caused a lot of anger and resentment amongst her children.

When I hear other people say that their mother is their best friend,I truly wish I could say the same thing.
Victoria

Your Mother

Post by Victoria »

I love my mother dearly, she has always done her best for us even in very hard times.

My father a bi-polar sufferer left when I was 8 and my brothers 6, 5 and 18mths she remained friends with him and raised us on the minimum of incomes.

She found ways to make everything fun. No money for a hot meal so we had indoor picknik with rug on the floor and campfire songs next to the gas fire. No money for a day out well she took us to the park at dusk with a rug and a thermos and we watched the rabbits come out to play and the deer come to feed...pure magic.

She is fun and lively even with all the heartache she has suffered it has made her older than her 63 yrs but she keeps going finding humour in day to day events.

I phone her every sunday and we talk for a couple of hours.

She is a marvalous gran to mine and my brothers children.

I wish everyone could have had a mother like mine.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”