Getting Away From Family

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Getting Away From Family

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

If it is me, please tell me.

Recently I was in South Carolina at a meeting of our retired employees. All of them had moved from New Jersey to South Carolina. While talking with them I asked them why they moved and mostly it was cheaper living and the winter weather was better. “Is your family still in NJ?” I asked. Typically the answer was yes; their children and grandchildren were 700 miles to the north. Getting away from family is an anathema to me. These retirees were happy to see family two or three times a year. I get depressed if I don’t see my grandchildren once a week.

Sometimes separation is unavoidable, but I don’t get retiring and then simply moving away from family and friends. I am about to retire and I am not going anywhere.

What’s the story, am I simply abnormal? :rolleyes:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
CARLA

Getting Away From Family

Post by CARLA »

I'm getting close to retirement and wouldn't think of moving away from my family or my home town of San Diego ever. :-6 :-6

[QUOTE]Sometimes separation is unavoidable, but I don’t get retiring and then simply moving away from family and friends. I am about to retire and I am not going anywhere.

What’s the story, am I simply abnormal? [/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

kayleneaussie

Getting Away From Family

Post by kayleneaussie »

There is no way I would move away from my family.
FOC THREAD PART 1
qsducks

Getting Away From Family

Post by qsducks »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;888917 wrote: If it is me, please tell me.

Recently I was in South Carolina at a meeting of our retired employees. All of them had moved from New Jersey to South Carolina. While talking with them I asked them why they moved and mostly it was cheaper living and the winter weather was better. “Is your family still in NJ?” I asked. Typically the answer was yes; their children and grandchildren were 700 miles to the north. Getting away from family is an anathema to me. These retirees were happy to see family two or three times a year. I get depressed if I don’t see my grandchildren once a week.

Sometimes separation is unavoidable, but I don’t get retiring and then simply moving away from family and friends. I am about to retire and I am not going anywhere.

No you are not abnormal friend. My siblings and I live about 5 to 35 minutes away from our parents and wouldn't have it any other way. Although my older brother goes from living in Maine in the summer to living in Mexico in the winter, but does stop by twice a year for a visit. I for one could never live any more than 10 miles from my mommy.
Nomad

Getting Away From Family

Post by Nomad »

Family dynamics are a curious thing. Its understandable that some need more space than others.

In my last e mail to my sis in law I applauded her for moving even further from us as it was a nice buffer from her mind.

Her mind is a terrible thing.
I AM AWESOME MAN
chonsigirl

Getting Away From Family

Post by chonsigirl »

I can not wait to retire, and move back closer to my family. I miss them all the time....:(
mrsK

Getting Away From Family

Post by mrsK »

QUINNSCOMMENTARY;888917 wrote: If it is me, please tell me.

All my married life I have lived away from my siblings & parents.

I am used to it now but at times it was rough.

My kids are stuck with me.I don't plan on being to far away from them:-4:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
RedGlitter

Getting Away From Family

Post by RedGlitter »

My mom and dad have always been my family. I never moved away because I didn't want to be without them in my life and I have no regrets about that choice.

My relatives however...we all keep to ourselves for the most part. Our get togethers are few and far between and sometimes we may as well be strangers.
along-for-the-ride

Getting Away From Family

Post by along-for-the-ride »

You are lucky. My children, grandchildren, my dad, my brothers and sisters all live far away from me. Although, I wouldn't want to live next door to them, I sure wish they lived alot closer. I would enjoy the visits, and having a part of my life shared with them. Ironically, I moved away from my parents and siblings, and my children moved away from Georgia.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
hoppy

Getting Away From Family

Post by hoppy »

My family, on mom's side, were into togetherness. Thanksgiving dinners at our farm, Christmas dinners usually at our farm, summer picnics at fishing spots or parks. Any event was a reason to get together.

My dad's side had one family reunion. The families bunched together in their own little family groups. His side was strange that way. Had I retired under more favorable circumstances, I would have moved away. Far away.
qsducks

Getting Away From Family

Post by qsducks »

hoppy;894979 wrote: My family, on mom's side, were into togetherness. Thanksgiving dinners at our farm, Christmas dinners usually at our farm, summer picnics at fishing spots or parks. Any event was a reason to get together.

My dad's side had one family reunion. The families bunched together in their own little family groups. His side was strange that way. Had I retired under more favorable circumstances, I would have moved away. Far away.

My hubbies family does that strange bunching together thingy too. Although at the last party his one brother did get "out" of the bunch and actually came to another part of the party and had a blast talking to "other people".
cars

Getting Away From Family

Post by cars »

Sometimes relatives have a desire to follow their career goals. And in trying to achieve those goals, it unfortunately can involve them moving from where ever you all once lived. I've seen it, as well as have had it happen! It is just the price of success to them! And sad for us!
Cars :)
qsducks

Getting Away From Family

Post by qsducks »

cars;895247 wrote: Sometimes relatives have a desire to follow their career goals. And in trying to achieve those goals, it unfortunately can involve them moving from where ever you all once lived. I've seen it, as well as have had it happen! It is just the price of success to them! And sad for us!

My brother who lives in Mexico during the winter does so because he broke his back years ago and can't take the New England winters. His kids are beginning to loath living in Mexico in the winter. They want to go sledding.
shelbell

Getting Away From Family

Post by shelbell »

Not at all abnormal. My kids, grandsons, mom and brothers all live within 20 minutes of each other. Although we don't always (ok a lot of the time) see eye to eye, we always know we can count on each other if something big or bad happens to one of us. I'd never dream about leaving all of them.
sunny104

Getting Away From Family

Post by sunny104 »

I prefer being away from family.

Our friends are the family we choose. :-6
AJames

Getting Away From Family

Post by AJames »

sunny104;905362 wrote: I prefer being away from family.

Our friends are the family we choose. :-6

Amen to that. LOL
Single, Powerful and Loving It!

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”