Nomad's A Basket Case

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

I want to leave my main job and go full time with my little investigative gig. Ive talked about it with boss # 2 and shes all for it. She offered more $ and I can make probably close to what Im making with the 2 jobs I have now.

Id be giving up my 401K

4 weeks vacation + holiday's

A substantial life ins. policy on myself for my wife.

The 401K I can live without, I can manage my own $.

The vacation is a tough one. I cant really put a $ figure on the value of that kind of time off. With the new gig Id be starting over at the low end of that.

Ins. policies can be bought but Im in a group policy and its dirt cheap.

Im not sure if these 3 things are whats stopping me or not. Theres something else but I really dont know what it is.

Im afraid but I dont know what of.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomers, you're in a bit of a pickle.

Those cons you listed are a good start.

How about listing the reasons why you want to leave your main job and take on this one? That might help flesh things out a bit.

I'm in no position to give anybody financial advice, but I raised an eyebrow when you mentioned losing the 401K. But if you feel you have it covered that's good.

Life insurance. I have heard it said it's a waste of money. I think that's a personal decision. I know without my mom's life insurance, my dad and I would have had no way to afford her service. Just a thought. We live pretty close to the bone though.

Vacations...hard call. Would you be setting your own hours at the new job eventually to where you could give yourself a vacation? Do you go anywhere on your vacations or do you just relax at home?

No offense, just tossing this out there- are you in any kind of "midlife crisis" that's making this idea look extra attractive? You have to be honest with yourself on this one.

Otherwise, it might help us to know why you are considering doing this, and then maybe we can figure out what that gnawing feeling is coming from. :)
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

No its not a crisis at all.

Its damned hard work and I feel like crap all the time.

Im sore, I hurt, I walk horizontally sometimes.

Back, knees, shoulders, I feel old doing what Im doing now.

Plus I loathe it.

I have a chance to do something completely different and I get to use my mind (such as it is) for a change rather than my back.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;910283 wrote: Im not sure if these 3 things are whats stopping me or not. Theres something else but I really dont know what it is.

Are you sure the job's going to be around for the forseeable future? It sounds like a shoestring budget, and times will get rougher before they get better.
RedGlitter

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomad;910301 wrote: No its not a crisis at all.

Plus I loathe it.

I have a chance to do something completely different and I get to use my mind (such as it is) for a change rather than my back.

Excellent Nomad! Those seem like very sound reasons to do something different. This thing that's holding you back, could it maybe just be a fear of change? Most people have some degree of discomfort when they think about making changes just because humans are creatures of habit.

Also, is your investigative job dangerous?
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

rjwould;910306 wrote: Don't do it! :wah::eek:

Right.

Generally speaking a mind is a terrible thing, my mind...........whole different ballgame.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

Accountable;910302 wrote: Are you sure the job's going to be around for the forseeable future? It sounds like a shoestring budget, and times will get rougher before they get better.

The work is there, no question.

People will never stop defaulting on loans and we thrive on a bad economy.

Sounds shitty but I didnt put those people in that position.

The economy is bad for everyone but my credit rating is mid 700's.

In fact the main job is getting bad.

Most of us expect the worst within a year.
I AM AWESOME MAN
kayleneaussie

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by kayleneaussie »

Go for it...life is short enjoy it while you can and if you hate your other job why stay there....good luck:D
FOC THREAD PART 1
Accountable

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;910315 wrote: The work is there, no question.

People will never stop defaulting on loans and we thrive on a bad economy.

Sounds shitty but I didnt put those people in that position.

The economy is bad for everyone but my credit rating is mid 700's.

In fact the main job is getting bad.

Most of us expect the worst within a year.
Jump! With my blessings. You've got to enjoy work; it's a mental health thing.
Lon

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Lon »

Nomad;910283 wrote: I want to leave my main job and go full time with my little investigative gig. Ive talked about it with boss # 2 and shes all for it. She offered more $ and I can make probably close to what Im making with the 2 jobs I have now.

Id be giving up my 401K

The vacation is a tough one. I cant really put a $ figure on the value of that kind of time off. With the new gig Id be starting over at the low end of that.

Im not sure if these 3 things are whats stopping me or not. Theres something else but I really dont know what it is.

I don't know enough about what it is that you want to do Nomad, but sometimes to get ahead 10 steps, you have to take a few steps back and not fear failure. I did this when I was age 31, gave up security for a big question mark and took a few steps back. I was scared, and there was pressure and a fear of failing, but it worked out and I have never been sorry.
Patsy Warnick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Nomad

change - your hesitant a change can be scarey - your hesitating on the list of pros & cons - oh geez is this the right thing to do?? YES

Your body is saying change - so leave the safety net and jump.

There will always be work as a detective - you'll never be out of work.

New job- do you have structured hours? actual office to report in - are you paid Salary - Hourly - or by job?

If you leave your current job on good terms - you'll always have a job and a great referral.

you have to be happy & Healthy - money difference , it's only money

moneys not everything, and you don't need anything anyway - just a job you'll enjoy..

When you 1st mentioned this new job - I thought along the lines of a process server (part time job) wow detective - I'd love that job

you'll be great at this Nomad..

Patsy
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Nomad;910283 wrote: I want to leave my main job and go full time with my little investigative gig. Ive talked about it with boss # 2 and shes all for it. She offered more $ and I can make probably close to what Im making with the 2 jobs I have now.

Id be giving up my 401K

If you don't know what it is, then it is something to be concerend about. Don't make a leap as you are likely to regret it and you can't manage your own money as efficiently as within a 401(k) and if there is an employer match you are even farther behind right from the start.

You will miss the vacation either financially or simply because of work life balance.

Depending on the type of policy, you could probably match it with a term policy.

What about health insurance?

How many and what kind of hours will you work on the new job?

I just retired after 47 years with the same company and I was in Human Resources so I saw people and their job decisions all the time and many made with a great deal of regret later.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

Patsy Warnick;910340 wrote: Nomad

change - your hesitant a change can be scarey - your hesitating on the list of pros & cons - oh geez is this the right thing to do?? YES

Your body is saying change - so leave the safety net and jump.

There will always be work as a detective - you'll never be out of work.

New job- do you have structured hours? actual office to report in - are you paid Salary - Hourly - or by job?

If you leave your current job on good terms - you'll always have a job and a great referral.

you have to be happy & Healthy - money difference , it's only money

moneys not everything, and you don't need anything anyway - just a job you'll enjoy..

When you 1st mentioned this new job - I thought along the lines of a process server (part time job) wow detective - I'd love that job

you'll be great at this Nomad..

Patsy

This is exactly the type of short sighted, naive attitude that gets people in trouble. :-5
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
Patsy Warnick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Quinn

nothing naive about it..

I 'm aware a 401k can be rolled over & invested

Without assuming - perhaps Nomad is insured thru his wife (health Ins.).

His body can't do his current job any more - which he hates his current job..

so it's get another job, be happy or go on Social Security Disability soon when his body gives out, and we all know S.S. pays great..

regret - nothing wrong with trying - and as I stated, leaving on good terms from a long term employer - or Nomad could perhaps take a leave of absence from his current job & try his new job.

sure it's risky/scarey, that's life.

Perhaps I have a care free attitude - I've taken alot of my own leaps and always landed on my feet - no regrets - never unemployed - always happy.

Quinn - Accountable also told Nomad to take the jump - you don't want to pick on Account ?

Go for the change Nomad

Patsy

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by 911 »

Nomad

Patsy makes some good points and so do the lingerers--those who do whatever for security's sake. In the end it's up to you and your family.:-6

When you go to your new job, if you take it, I'm sure your work load will increase. Not knowing exactly what you do, will you be sitting more, in cars or in the office? Walking more, stalking in the heat or cold?

You can always do one of those pre paid funeral deals and get that over with if you get any sort of pay for when you leave your first job.

As someone in a relative field, I have to ask, will you or do you have access to all the goodies that help you get the job done? Access to certain privileged information that makes the job easier? That is a very important deal breaker as that creates more work for you, ie, running around looking for info that could be done in the office.

Best of luck with your decision. If nothing else, you have to be happy in your work or that affects everything else in your life. Including and most important, your kinky sex life!! LOL :D
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
CARLA

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by CARLA »

Nomad RJ pretty much asked the question I would ask. If you can make more $$$ and enjoy the new job more DO IT and don't look back. Your still young now is the time, you may never get another chance and will regret it for the rest of your life. :D Knowing you, you will figure it all out and make the right decision. :cool:

[QUOTE]You can roll the 401k into an IRA. Are you vested in the plan? Thats a more important question in my mind.

You can take the current years vacation while you begin the new job. Just make sure you return to work for at least 1 day so you don't disqualify yourself for the payment of vacation time.(smart idea)

As your retirement acct increases, you should be reducing life insurance anyway, so thats not really a problem, even though its a group plan and is a benefit. Term life insurance is pretty cheap anyway.

Doesn't the other employer offer any benefits, and do you think the employment is as secure as the current job?(need to ask yourself this)[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by flopstock »

so long as you don't get to carry a weapon, go out and have some fun.:thinking:

worse case scenario, you find yourself working as a greeter at wally-world in your golden years to make ends meet. big frickin' deal. how else were you planning to spend your spare time.... tiling fireplaces?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Chezzie

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Chezzie »

Well I always say you only get one chance at this life so if you feel the need for change, do it. Life is way too short to sit weighing up pro's and cons where your personal health and wellbeing is concerned. If its more money, your not compromising your standard of living. Infact from what you say you will be expanding your life span if your fulltime job makes you feel so bad.

Your a smart guy with a supportive wive and you will make the decision thats right for you...

Go Maverick Go:-4
weeder

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by weeder »

There is no such thing as security Brian. We have to make our own destiny.

You know I can relate to the physical damage part. Its only fear of the unknown that is stopping you. Sounds like an adventure to me. Once your on the new job long enough, and have a strong track record, you will be able to tell them you are taking time off for vacation. It may be unpaid, but with the increase in money, you can save for your own vacation. Go.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
pinkchick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by pinkchick »

Nomad;910301 wrote: No its not a crisis at all.

Plus I loathe it.

My lovely friend,

I'm gonna stick my two pence worth in if you don't mind ;)

It may be simple but here it is...

You cannot put a price on having your health.

You hate what you're doing right now.

You have a chance to do something you enjoy.

We spend a hell of a lot of time at work - life is way too short to be miserable in your job.

If it makes you happy Brian and it's what you want, do it.

It's your life ... GO! GO! GO! :-6:-4
Very nearly perfect ... :D
chonsigirl

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by chonsigirl »

I think you should keep the private eye job on the side-does the time you spend with it interfere with family life? Time off? Do you know why you want to make it full time? (it must be lots of fun, it sounds like it)

I look at things as the primary wage earner-I keep my part-time jobs because they are, 1. needed for income, 2. I like them alot. I teach my college classes-and my music. Oh, I would like that full time, have wanted that all my life. But I know it is not sensible for me to do that. So I keep it a part time staff position, get my fill of orchestra and music and all that. But I am older than you, I think 8 years until I retire. Than I can keep the part time jobs, and write all day long. (that only makes a little money, in fact, I try not to make money at it and give it away because of taxes)

This is something to think about-you need to be happy with your employment. Lots of people have left good advice-you need to decide for yourself the pros and cons either way. But be happy in your choice, that is the most important thing.
Betty Boop

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Betty Boop »

pinkchick;911147 wrote: My lovely friend,

I'm gonna stick my two pence worth in if you don't mind ;)

I may be simple but here it is...

You cannot put a price on having your health.

You hate what you're doing right now.

You have a chance to do something you enjoy.

We spend a hell of a lot of time at work - life is way too short to be miserable in your job.

If it makes you happy Brian and it's what you want, do it.

It's your life ... GO! GO! GO! :-6:-4

You already know this but I'm with Pinks here!! :-6:driving::-4
Kathy Ellen

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hey Nomad:-4

Do what your heart tells you...you're smart...if it doesn't work out, you'll figure out somthing else.
Accountable

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Accountable »

What does Laser say?
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

Wow !

Thanks everyone, pro and con.

Ill reply to your questions shortly.

Right now Im processing, I have been processing actually for some time and Im getting near making a decision.

I really appreciate the time you took.

Bri
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

Its a done deal.

I walked out this morning.

Theres a lot more to it than Ive explained here and walking out was the only option.

Ive done the right thing.

A new chapter begins.

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by CARLA »

Excellent don't look back good things will happen I'm sure of it.:cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

minks

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by minks »

High Fives Yellow man, as they say in the biz, nothing ventured nothing gained. No go do what you have been wanting to do you have left the old baggage behind and it's a fresh start.

I am in your boat now, just awaitng the time to jump out of this job and venture into the new adventure....

We can compare notes soon

Congrats Mate.

M
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

minks;912500 wrote: High Fives Yellow man, as they say in the biz, nothing ventured nothing gained. No go do what you have been wanting to do you have left the old baggage behind and it's a fresh start.

I am in your boat now, just awaitng the time to jump out of this job and venture into the new adventure....

We can compare notes soon

Congrats Mate.

M

Really ?

Not what you thought it would be ?

This is the one where you and a co worker left together ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by minks »

Nomad;912506 wrote: Really ?

Not what you thought it would be ?

This is the one where you and a co worker left together ?

Yessir and me and that same co-worker and another co-worker have been building a business plan and hope to be well into it within the next 5 or so months.

This current job was a huge disappointment... we was hood winked my friend.:wah:

― Mae West
Patsy Warnick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Patsy Warnick »

YEH !!!! Here you go Columbo .. Congrats

a exciting adventure - new page in Nomads Land. I'm excited for ya.

sounds like today a opportunity opened for you and the decision was necessary and ultimately the right choice all around.

I'm a good detective - you'll have to give us insight/hints/tidbits on cases

like a game - we'll work on the who done it mystery.

Good Luck - keep us posted

Pats
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

Well theyre sending me through some training and she keeps giving me reading material on surveillance technique's so thats where Im starting.
I AM AWESOME MAN
minks

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by minks »

Nomad;912518 wrote: Well theyre sending me through some training and she keeps giving me reading material on surveillance technique's so thats where Im starting.

ok just so you know I am in the witness protection program and all pictures of me here on FG are not really me.... ok, you get it, right, nobody here really knows what the real minks looks like got it... you do understand right. hehehehe

― Mae West
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

minks;912520 wrote: ok just so you know I am in the witness protection program and all pictures of me here on FG are not really me.... ok, you get it, right, nobody here really knows what the real minks looks like got it... you do understand right. hehehehe

Please :rolleyes:

Ive got pictures of you posted all over the walls.

Theres a room dedicated to you.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by RedGlitter »

Nomad;912493 wrote: Its a done deal.

Theres a lot more to it than Ive explained here and walking out was the only option.

A new chapter begins.

Good deal Nomad. Best wishes too. :)
Accountable

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Accountable »

A new chapter begins.

Enjoy your new career. I have an overcoat if you need one. :)
CARLA

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by CARLA »

Cool Columbo your boss is a women, women know a lot about surveillance. :sneaky:

[QUOTE]Well theyre sending me through some training and she keeps giving me reading material on surveillance technique's so thats where Im starting.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

sunny104

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by sunny104 »

Best wishes Nomad!!! :-6
YZGI

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by YZGI »

Good for you Nomad.

Good luck..

Now if you were to get a spy job that involved a certain Kansan by the the name Yzgi, wisey or any other variation I would be obliged if you could give me a 24 hr head start, thank you very much..
sunny104

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by sunny104 »

YZGI;912765 wrote: Good for you Nomad.

Good luck..

Now if you were to get a spy job that involved a certain Kansan by the the name Yzgi, wisey or any other variation I would be obliged if you could give me a 24 hr head start, thank you very much..

I'll hide you! :D
kazalala

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by kazalala »

Oh i hope it goes great for you, and im pleased you took the risk. I always say you can never regret something you did, only something you didnt do. heres my reasoning,, if you decide to go for it and it turns out bad, the wrong decision, then well you tried it and now you know! If you decide not to take the risk you would never find out how it would have turned out and always be saying i should have gone for it, regetting the fact you didnt. you never know unless you try!:D:-4 Good luck Nomad:-4

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
YZGI

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by YZGI »

sunny104;912773 wrote: I'll hide you! :D
Alrighty then..

Come and get me Nommie!!!:D
chonsigirl

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by chonsigirl »

Good luck Sherlock! :)
Betty Boop

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Betty Boop »

Good Luck Nomes, you'll be fine :-6:-4
pinkchick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by pinkchick »

A new chapter begins.

Nomie I wish you every happiness in your new venture:-4

Go! Go! GO!! :D:D
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Chezzie

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Chezzie »

Do you get to suck a lollypop:D
minks

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by minks »

Nomad;913578 wrote: I wont prolong this anymore, but when I went in today and told them I was all theirs my boss handed me this certificate. In 8 yrs with the other co I never got so much as a good job buddy.

Shes putting me in the lead position, gave me my 3rd raise in 3 months and gave me a twice a month out of town deal worth pretty good change.

Ive been alternating between oh crap what have I done ? and elation.

Not anymore, my doubts are gone.

Ive always done the best I could at whatever it was I was doing and this will be no different.

One door closed.....another one wide open. Im quite pleased.

BRAVO Nomad, good job on taking on the new direction.

― Mae West
Nomad

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Nomad »

I wont prolong this anymore, but when I went in today and told them I was all theirs my boss handed me this certificate. In 8 yrs with the other co I never got so much as a good job buddy.

Shes putting me in the lead position, gave me my 3rd raise in 3 months and gave me a twice a month out of town deal worth pretty good change.

Ive been alternating between oh crap what have I done ? and elation.

Not anymore, my doubts are gone.

Ive always done the best I could at whatever it was I was doing and this will be no different.

One door closed.....another one wide open. Im quite pleased.

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
Patsy Warnick

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by Patsy Warnick »

I'm quite please as well a TOAST to NOMAD:)

how cool

and out of town ??

Good for you Bri

Patsy
CARLA

Nomad's A Basket Case

Post by CARLA »

Very Cool Nomie. :cool:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”