Crashing Replies!!!

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

I like to post on the fly. That is to say, I don't write down my post in a document and then copy and paste it here.

Tonight, I have had two post replies crash out on me. One was a short poem.

The problem is definitely at FG's end. I don't have this problem anywhere else. The precursor to the problem is writing a post reply where I may hesitate over what I'm going to write. Posts where I don't hesitate writing don't seem to suffer from this problem.

I find this an extremely infuriating problem and I'm surprised I still have a computer table left let alone a computer.

Who else has this problem?
abbey

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by abbey »

I used to, so I started copying often and then pasting it when I got back on. ;)
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

abbey;1117789 wrote: I used to, so I started copying often and then pasting it when I got back on. ;)

But do you seriously copy to paste everything you post?
spot

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by spot »

I'm able to make it happen. There are a lot of short-cut keys in browsers. Typing messily can inadvertently enter a control character which shuts the current tab or switches to another page. A text editor like Notepad or even a world processor doesn't use that sort of switching control so it doesn't happen in those programs. I think it's a natural consequence of typing lots of text into a browser and I strongly recommend against it. It's no slower to have two applications open, one for composing posts and the other for using the Internet.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
abbey

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by abbey »

OpenMind;1117792 wrote: But do you seriously copy to paste everything you post?No, I dont need to anymore but if I'm doing a long post I do, it used to happen that often I could'nt be arsed doiing it all over again so would'nt bother.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1117794 wrote: I'm able to make it happen. There are a lot of short-cut keys in browsers. Typing messily can inadvertently enter a control character which shuts the current tab or switches to another page. A text editor like Notepad or even a world processor doesn't use that sort of switching control so it doesn't happen in those programs. I think it's a natural consequence of typing lots of text into a browser and I strongly recommend against it. It's no slower to have two applications open, one for composing posts and the other for using the Internet.

Sure, but I wasn't making particularly long posts just taking my time over what I typed. The poem I mentioned only had two stanzas.

The idea of having to have another application for composing posts defeats the spirit of a forum.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

abbey;1117813 wrote: No, I dont need to anymore but if I'm doing a long post I do, it used to happen that often I could'nt be arsed doiing it all over again so would'nt bother.

Exactly. The two posts that crashed out weren't particularly long. I just took a little extra time over what I wrote. If I ever write a Coberst style post, then I use a word processor. But short replies to posts shouldn't be affected this way just because I stop and think about what to write next. This never used to happen when I first joined FG.
spot

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by spot »

OpenMind;1117820 wrote: Sure, but I wasn't making particularly long posts just taking my time over what I typed. The poem I mentioned only had two stanzas.

The idea of having to have another application for composing posts defeats the spirit of a forum.

I had a roomful of students in a formal three-hour assessment earlier this month, all using Word on XP, and I said exactly what I'd said in those circumstances since the early nineties. Get the page structured to your liking, save to a filename and when the assessment begins, remember to save by hand every ten minutes and change your filename every hour. Then I made sure they understood why before I allowed them to start.

Obviously you can skate on the thin ice of a browser textbox. I just don't see where the fun lies in doing it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1117830 wrote: I had a roomful of students in a formal three-hour assessment earlier this month, all using Word on XP, and I said exactly what I'd said in those circumstances since the early nineties. Get the page structured to your liking, save to a filename and when the assessment begins, remember to save by hand every ten minutes and change your filename every hour. Then I made sure they understood why before I allowed them to start.

Obviously you can skate on the thin ice of a browser textbox. I just don't see where the fun lies in doing it.

Such incidents as these on FG were seldom in the past. They are more frequent nowadays. And, as I have already stated, these were short posts. It seems to me that the time-outs on the FG servers have been shortened considerably in the time I have been absent.
spot

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by spot »

OpenMind;1117844 wrote: Such incidents as these on FG were seldom in the past. They are more frequent nowadays. And, as I have already stated, these were short posts. It seems to me that the time-outs on the FG servers have been shortened considerably in the time I have been absent.

There are no timeouts on the server, browsing isn't a push technology. Whenever the server gets a request it services it, straight out into the Internet, and the Internet decides which route to send each packet and the packets get re-assembled inside your computer. It's why, when the browser displays what it has so far, it sometimes jumps a long way at a time because a packet got delayed but finally arrived. If packets go missing they're re-requested and the onus on doing that is with the client machine.

What might differ is the routing and the route reliability since whenever it was better.

The simple matter is that some people have fault-free provision from FG and some people have glitchy provision. Either you believe FG singles out certain users out of spite or you accept that the server's behaving. It only takes one user to have fault-free provision for that argument to hold water.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

spot;1117855 wrote: There are no timeouts on the server, browsing isn't a push technology. Whenever the server gets a request it services it, straight out into the Internet, and the Internet decides which route to send each packet and the packets get re-assembled inside your computer. It's why, when the browser displays what it has so far, it sometimes jumps a long way at a time because a packet got delayed but finally arrived. If packets go missing they're re-requested and the onus on doing that is with the client machine.

What might differ is the routing and the route reliability since whenever it was better.

The simple matter is that some people have fault-free provision from FG and some people have glitchy provision. Either you believe FG singles out certain users out of spite or you accept that the server's behaving. It only takes one user to have fault-free provision for that argument to hold water.

I am aware of how networking and Internetworking works. I was trained up to digital telecommunications while telex and facsimiles were still being transmitted over the Strowger network. I updated this knowledge myself in 2000.

If you say that FG's servers have no time outs, I have no reason to disbelieve you other than the experience of time outs. There can be no other reason since nothing is transmitted until I click on the 'Submit Reply' key.
Odie

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by Odie »

OpenMind;1117844 wrote: Such incidents as these on FG were seldom in the past. They are more frequent nowadays. And, as I have already stated, these were short posts. It seems to me that the time-outs on the FG servers have been shortened considerably in the time I have been absent.

I think its your server, firefox always gives me time-outs everywhere!

I have no idea why it does that........but it does!
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by Odie »

JAB;1117945 wrote: Me too. I can usually just hit the back button on the browser and get my post back and then hit reply again and it works.

are you with firefox or another server.
Life is just to short for drama.
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

Odie;1117924 wrote: I think its your server, firefox always gives me time-outs everywhere!

I have no idea why it does that........but it does!

I don't know what my ISP uses for a server. I personally don't have a server. My browser is Internet Explorer. I only experience this problem with FG.
Amber Sun

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by Amber Sun »

OpenMind;1117986 wrote: I don't know what my ISP uses for a server. I personally don't have a server. My browser is Internet Explorer. I only experience this problem with FG.

I have had this problem with Internet Explorer and now Fire Fox on many sites. What I generally do now is simply scroll up with my mouse and copy what I have typed so far and then continue typing in between answering the phone, making coffee etc. If it's a long post I do this a few times. When I have finished the post I scroll up and copy one last time then send the post through. If for some reason the message gets lost somewhere I still have it all copied so simply paste and resend. :)
OpenMind

Crashing Replies!!!

Post by OpenMind »

Amber Sun;1118299 wrote: I have had this problem with Internet Explorer and now Fire Fox on many sites. What I generally do now is simply scroll up with my mouse and copy what I have typed so far and then continue typing in between answering the phone, making coffee etc. If it's a long post I do this a few times. When I have finished the post I scroll up and copy one last time then send the post through. If for some reason the message gets lost somewhere I still have it all copied so simply paste and resend. :)

Indeed, I agree with you but I don't expect it when I have only written a few short lines.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”