Help! My basement is soaked!

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

It's the water heater...

It's gas...

If I turn off the water until i can call a plumber tomorrow, what happens when the water drains out of that tin can? Will she blow?:confused::eek:

If i don't turn off the water I'm gonna have a swimming pool down there by morning..:-5

cripes! the carpet is toast:-1
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Sunshine

Post by Sunshine »

flopstock;1199894 wrote: It's the water heater...

It's gas...

If I turn off the water until i can call a plumber tomorrow, what happens when the water drains out of that tin can? Will she blow?:confused::eek:

If i don't turn off the water I'm gonna have a swimming pool down there by morning..:-5

There should be a knob that turns the supply off. If you can't find one, call an emergency plumber and ask him. That is very dangerous!!!!!!!!!

Is there a conection where you can attach a hose to in order to drain off the water into something else? Have you a drain near the heater or a door you can stick the hose out of?
Odie

Post by Odie »

just shut the main water valve off for the house.

no different than turning your furnace off......the pilot light always stays lite for the gas...that's normal.

you only ever need to shut the gas vale off is if you smell gas.

call your water heater company tomorrow..........not a plumber
Life is just to short for drama.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Just turn the water off there should be a valve on the water heater. There should be a turn off valve for the gas as well the whole thing need to be shut down. Call a plumber and your gas company. Time for a new water heater. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Your basement is soaked?

Is that an euphemism ? :sneaky:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1199894 wrote: It's the water heater...

It's gas...

Just turn the water heater knob to off. You dont need it on now anyway. Since its the water heater thats leaking you dont need to turn the main valve off to the house. Dont rent a wet vac go buy one at Target or Home Depot. 5 gl should cost about 79 bucks and you should have one anyway.

You can call me if you want to.

Also carpet can be salvaged. Take the carpet up. Take the padding up. That will need to be disposed of. Get the water off the floor. With the wet vac extract the water from the carpet. If you can roll it up anf get it outside to dry.

Or you cam make a claim with your home owners insurance and a co. will come out and do it all. If you do make a claim push for new carpet. Some ins. co. will salvage the carpet but they will replace the padding and cover re-install and carpet cleaning.

Inspect the walls and baseboards for damage if you go through the ins. co. All of it should be replaced or at the very least dried with a blower and de-hunidified so you dont get mold. If you have water lines the drywall may need to be replaced 4' up. Thats a job for a contractor and ins. should cover it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Call your plumber right now! He can tell you which valves to shut off. Don't call the water company...they won't be able to help you & if they do, they'll get some numbnut to come out & it will cost you a fortune. Turn off the gas too.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1199906 wrote: just shut the main water valve off for the house.

no different than turning your furnace off......the pilot light always stays lite for the gas...that's normal.

you only ever need to shut the gas vale off is if you smell gas.

call your water heater company tomorrow..........not a plumber

All the water heater company is going to tell flops is the warrenty on the water heater....and then they will tell her to call her plumber who can easily find out if the water heater still has it's warranty if they installed it.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1200025 wrote: All the water heater company is going to tell flops is the warrenty on the water heater....and then they will tell her to call her plumber who can easily find out if the water heater still has it's warranty if they installed it.
You are correct there Ducks...... good job you know what your talking about with hubs being a plumber.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1200031 wrote: You are correct there Ducks...... good job you know what your talking about with hubs being a plumber.

I just talked to him..he laughed when I mentioned "do you call the water company"...hell no! Call a plumber asap...most are 24/7 & they will tell you how to turn off the water & the gas. Usually with these calls, the customer is #1 in the morning's priority jobs.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1200035 wrote: I just talked to him..he laughed when I mentioned "do you call the water company"...hell no! Call a plumber asap...most are 24/7 & they will tell you how to turn off the water & the gas. Usually with these calls, the customer is #1 in the morning's priority jobs. It sounds the same as here in Blighty Land. Plumber first....... warrenty later.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1200041 wrote: It sounds the same as here in Blighty Land. Plumber first....... warrenty later.

Yeah, save the warranty for later is right. Save your basement. As for the carpets, throw them out...I wouldn't even waste my time especially in a damp wet basement of "saving" them. They will get moldy & stinky.
minks

Post by minks »

qsducks;1200025 wrote: All the water heater company is going to tell flops is the warrenty on the water heater....and then they will tell her to call her plumber who can easily find out if the water heater still has it's warranty if they installed it.

Well if flops needs to know anything about the water heater there would be value to calling the water heater company too, as well there may be a warranty issue or recalls you never know.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

minks;1200055 wrote: Well if flops needs to know anything about the water heater there would be value to calling the water heater company too, as well there may be a warranty issue or recalls you never know.

Calling the water heater company is one thing. They would need to know what part in the water heater died & caused flooding. Most times it's a part that is not under warranty. Total waste of time. In any case, the entire water heater will probs have to be replaced.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive seen 4' of seawater in houses during hurricane elena and that was lowtide.

A water heater is a problem but not catastrophic.

Everything will be fine foops.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1200064 wrote: Ive seen 4' of seawater in houses during hurricane elena and that was lowtide.

A water heater is a problem but not catastrophic.

Everything will be fine foops.

True...but a bytch to replace & the cost is castrophic. Ouch. I get mine free:wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Turn the water heater off first simple, turn the water off simple. Get your book out on the water heater call the company see if there is still a warranty if not get a new one simple. It's a water heater they go out all the time.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

She needs time to panic. We should allow her that. Then she needs to get a kind of wild eyed look while she furtively paces back and forth wondering where to start.

Shell also need time to read all these replies and scream ****ing idiots and then panic again.

Things have to just unfold naturally.
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1200068 wrote: Turn the water heater off first simple, turn the water off simple. Get your book out on the water heater call the company see if there is still a warranty if not get a new one simple. It's a water heater the go out all the time.

Gawd, my hubs used to get parts, heaters, etc. at cost for a neighbor who used to live across the street...they are the biggest cheapskates onthe planet that I know of...anyways their water heater died over the winter...they called us at least 6 times to see if the part was under warranty (it wasn't)...we told them to go to any plumbing supply house & get the part...they didn't want to pay for it, they wanted my hubs to get it for them free. Yeah right!:-5 Haven't talked to them in months, total relief.:wah:...hubs did not get the part for them & has since done no work for them either & even he's relieved:wah:
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl When she is done with all that and the new "Water Heater" is in she can contact her home owners insurance and see if some the damage is covered.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1200073 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl When she is done with all that and the new "Water Heater" is in she can contact her home owners insurance and see if some the damage is covered.

Exactly. I highly doubt the part in the water heater is covered under warranty. Also, if your going away on vacation, etc. turn all your water off.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I wonder if she shouldnt be infracted for posting this in friends and relationships ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Hummmmm!!

[QUOTE]I wonder if she shouldnt be infracted for posting this in friends and relationships ?[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1200079 wrote: I wonder if she shouldnt be infracted for posting this in friends and relationships ?

Or in her Journal, members news, the kitchen (or is there a basement thread):thinking:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Nomad;1200079 wrote: I wonder if she shouldnt be infracted for posting this in friends and relationships ?

idgit!:yh_rotfl

i actually scanned my options before picking this one

Friends, Relationships, & Advice

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.:p
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

flopstock;1200094 wrote: idgit!:yh_rotfl

i actually scanned my options before picking this one

Friends, Relationships, & Advice

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.:p

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Advice being the big question. So, did you call a plumber or not?
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and suggestions... here's an update on the miserable world that is diane..:D

Thanks sunshine aren't you pretty close by, i should have just called you! didn't need a hose to drain it, it was draining quite nicely all over the basement for at least 24 hours..( i had thought the shower was cooler then usual, but just put it down to chill in the morning air..:rolleyes:)

Thank you odie for the common sense (bet you never thought you'd hear that from me did you?:-4) I decided it was safe to venture down and start with the shop vac once the 'smell gas' penetrated my panic gripped brain..:o

Carla can alway be counted on to be around in a crisis.. you should have seen me tossing christmas yard ornaments out the utility room door at midnight, to get to the shut off valve.. i'm pretty sure i decapitated a couple of deer:yh_rotfl

Nomad, my go to guy:-4

I not only own a shop vac, I got the son in law one when i bought mine last year!:p Great big yellow guy... filled 10 times before i went to bed at 3:eek:.. that just got the loose water the was sloshing around my feet..:-5

I couldn't turn the valve on the tank because it has blue rusty stuff on it, so i had to turn off the valve to the house. filled every sink, tub and container with water first though.:-6

I pulled the area rugs outside first thing.. the big guy i may cut into pieces to haul out there later.. dehumidifier going as we speak..

Ducks! Where were YOU when I needed you, young lady?:wah: I figured I could not afford a night call plumber and still eat the rest of june, so i called our handyman we use at work, this morning. He's coming by this afternoon and replacing a valve and the heater, cause i told him it seemed to be coming out the top and the bottom.. doesn't look that old to me... :thinking: why do i want gas when electric bill is cheaper? any idea?

Oscar.. I'm guesssing the blue rusty stuff on the valve thingy means this sucker is way way past warranty..the again, I've proven I know less then nothing on this topic..

Minks..no need to call the company... found the manual.. right next to the waterheater.. under 2 inches of water.:yh_rotfl talk about conveniently located, eh?

Okay kids, break is over... heading back down to resume hauling crap up into the sun...

I'm too old for this, ya know?:lips:

Odie

Post by Odie »

if the warranty is expired........they will give you a name of a reputably plumber.

if the warranty is still good........they call a plumber and its free, accept for parts.

at least that`s the way its done here.....

....if you chose your own plumber, you would pay through the nose.:-5:-5
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Ducks! Where were YOU when I needed you, young lady? I figured I could not afford a night call plumber and still eat the rest of june, so i called our handyman we use at work, this morning. He's coming by this afternoon and replacing a valve and the heater, cause i told him it seemed to be coming out the top and the bottom.. doesn't look that old to me... why do i want gas when electric bill is cheaper? any idea?

Most plumbers well mine anyway would guide you to the basement & tell you which valves to shut off over the phone:wah:...but, you would be first priority at 8am the next day. What are you paying for the heater....ouch!
farmer giles

Post by farmer giles »

your basement is flooded .....:thinking: well well well :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

well full of water :thinking: what a pail joke :thinking: wishing you well flopper:D

wishing well :wah:
Odie

Post by Odie »

flopstock;1200124 wrote: Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and suggestions... here's an update on the miserable world that is diane..:D

Thanks sunshine aren't you pretty close by, i should have just called you! didn't need a hose to drain it, it was draining quite nicely all over the basement for at least 24 hours..( i had thought the shower was cooler then usual, but just put it down to chill in the morning air..:rolleyes:)

Thank you odie for the common sense (bet you never thought you'd hear that from me did you?:-4) I decided it was safe to venture down and start with the shop vac once the 'smell gas' penetrated my panic gripped brain..:o

Carla can alway be counted on to be around in a crisis.. you should have seen me tossing christmas yard ornaments out the utility room door at midnight, to get to the shut off valve.. i'm pretty sure i decapitated a couple of deer:yh_rotfl

I not only own a shop vac, I got the son in law one when i bought mine last year!:p Great big yellow guy... filled 10 times before i went to bed at 3:eek:.. that just got the loose water the was sloshing around my feet..:-5

I couldn't turn the valve on the tank because it has blue rusty stuff on it, so i had to turn off the valve to the house. filled every sink, tub and container with water first though.:-6

I pulled the area rugs outside first thing.. the big guy i may cut into pieces to haul out there later.. dehumidifier going as we speak..

Ducks! Where were YOU when I needed you, young lady?:wah: I figured I could not afford a night call plumber and still eat the rest of june, so i called our handyman we use at work, this morning. He's coming by this afternoon and replacing a valve and the heater, cause i told him it seemed to be coming out the top and the bottom.. doesn't look that old to me... :thinking: why do i want gas when electric bill is cheaper? any idea?

Oscar.. I'm guesssing the blue rusty stuff on the valve thingy means this sucker is way way past warranty..the again, I've proven I know less then nothing on this topic..

Minks..no need to call the company... found the manual.. right next to the waterheater.. under 2 inches of water.:yh_rotfl talk about conveniently located, eh?

Okay kids, break is over... heading back down to resume hauling crap up into the sun...

son-in-law sounds hot!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

geez flops, decapitating deer is illegal here!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

so happy everything worked out...accept the mess!:-5:-5
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Odie;1200127 wrote: if the warranty is expired........they will give you a name of a reputably plumber.

if the warranty is still good........they call a plumber and its free, accept for parts.

at least that`s the way its done here.....

....if you chose your own plumber, you would pay through the nose.:-5:-5

If the warranty is expired your screwed either way. Most warranties are for the heater itself, not the parts inside it. And if the warranty is good and that only lasts for a year or so...it's not free...they have to still put the parts in plus the cost of labor, etc. Yeah, and if you choose to go through your water heater company for a plumber...chances are you will end up with a hack job. Been there done it & seen it. I'm married to a plumber so get your facts straight. Water company...what a joke.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Floppy so how long do you have to wait for a Plumber(you need a plumber no one else will do it right) with the "Water Heater" to come install? That wait is enough to put you right over the top.

This is usually a clue that its time to have the water heater looked at, or replaced blue rusty stuff BAD..!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I couldn't turn the valve on the tank because it has blue rusty stuff on it, so i had to turn off the valve to the house. filled every sink, tub and container with water first though.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1200161 wrote: Floppy so how long do you have to wait for a Plumber(you need a plumber no one else will do it right) with the "Water Heater" to come install? That wait is enough to put you right over the top.

This is usually a clue that its time to have the water heater looked at, or replaced blue rusty stuff BAD..!! :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Carla, my hubs is a plumber & gets these calls all the time..unconviently over a weekend:-5...those customers are so desperate for water...they will pay anything to get it back in order. And yes, they will pay out the nose especially on a Sunday.

Hubs did a job not long ago where a water heater went out/flooded...what a mess as tthe homeowner called the water company...total joke that was...they can hire any hack they want to...they hired a carpenter to do a plumbing job!:-5:-5. Of course, who rode tio the rescue, hubs in his red truck:wah:...he had to replace all the pipes that go into the water heater & the heater itself. He said it was really effed up big time.:wah:. The poor homeowner got stuck with two bills but I do know they are getting their money back from the water company.:)
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I agree cut to the chase get the plumber to order the water heater and come install it they know better than anyone what you need and how to put it in, in the long run it takes half the time.

Just went through this with my mother called our plumber on a Saturday by Saturday early evening we had a new water heater in. Wasn't cheap as she wanted the cadillac of water heaters. :wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

CARLA;1200164 wrote: I agree cut to the chase get the plumber to order the water heater and come install it they know better than anyone what you need and how to put it in, in the long run it takes half the time.

Just went through this with my mother called our plumber on a Saturday by Saturday early evening we had a new water heater in. Wasn't cheap as she wanted the cadillac of water heaters. :wah:

the plumber can go to any plumbing supply house except on a Sunday as they are usually closed, get the wh & install it that day. Usually hubs has them on hand in his shop....but on a sunday you will pay big time. He can usually talk peeps into a very early Monday call..around 8am. In fact he will call one of his employees to make sure the job is scheduled for the next morning.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, I hope you get the water heater installed soon. The carpet might dry out, you can always get one of the shampooing machines to suck up the water out of the carpet.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Floppy:-4

I'm so sorry this has happened to you and hope all turns out well.

We had a big flood at the beach when I first moved here. My crawl space was flooded and my boiler and water heater died. My sump pumps couldn't handle the amount of water in the crawl space:(

The plumber spent 2 days at my home working on the problem, and he was cute too:D:p:o
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1200124 wrote: Thanks everyone for the helpful tips and suggestions... here's an update on the miserable world that is diane..:D

Its a mild sunny breezy day today and I dont have to work or Id come help ya.

I only say that because your 700 miles away.
I AM AWESOME MAN
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I just saw this. How horrible! I had a water heater leak last July. Understatement of the year.

My water heater was located in a closet in the 3rd bedroom of my house--the room that has my computer on a massive antique desk, about 100 video cassettes, 200 audio cassettes, 100 cd's, 100 or so vintage albums, antique books, many, many photo albums, photographic equipment, recording equipment, antique bookshelves, etc.. It happened on a Friday morning, 1 week after I got out of the hospital from having major surgery. I was recovering at my daughter's next door and she walked me to my house to check up on it. We noticed the water pump was running. Then we went into the house and saw and stepped into water on the hall carpet outside the bath & bedroom/office. She screamed for her husband, who was outside, to shut the water off at the pump. Then they began 6 hours of carrying everything out of that room into another bedroom, trying to soak up water, finally ripping the carpet out and pad, getting the shop vacs and trying to dry it out. I was useless, under doctor's orders not to lift anything. They put fans on it and I went to call the insurance company. They arranged to have a disaster company come out to put BIG fans and dehydrators on it for a week. In the meantime, I was to call contractors to get bids on the damage. One company said $15,000. Insurance said, "No way" Another company said, $5000. Insurance Co. still said too high, but I had that contractor call the Ins. and he convinced them that his bid was low but he needed the work.

The work consisted of ripping the floor out of the bedroom and bathroom, cutting the walls up about 2 feet in the bedroom and part of the DINING room, replacing sheetrock, painting, a new bathtub & subflooring and floor coverings in bedroom & bath. And a new water heater, which I had to pay for and I paid to have it moved to the outside where it should have been all the time. The sad thing is I was going to have it moved and just didn't get it done. I kept inspecting it though and it looked ok. It didn't leak from the bottom or top but from a plug on the side. It just corroded & started spilling water out. We figured it could only have been leaking for an hour or so. If we hadn't discovered it when we did my house probably would have sailed right on down to Mexico.

The pathetic thing about it is that I was to meet that morning with a health care worker who was to bring in a cleaning lady, a day worker which would allow me to move back into my home. So I moved back in, 6 weeks later.

My advice to you would be to call your insurance company if you've got damage. And if they resist paying you what your claim is, (I was cautioned that they would try this) stick to your guns. Good luck. I hope it dries out and things are fine. You have to be concerned with mold but bleach will kill that.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I'm so happy I'm married to a plumber:-6 just wish he would fix MY water heater.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

qsducks;1200214 wrote: I'm so happy I'm married to a plumber:-6 just wish he would fix MY water heater.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Ducky, I was going to call you and ask John to help floppy, but it was early in the morn and knew he wouldn't appreciate a call that early:wah

Even I waited until 9 AM to call the plumber:p
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Kathy Ellen;1200230 wrote: :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Ducky, I was going to call you and ask John to help floppy, but it was early in the morn and knew he would'nt appreciate a call that early:wah:

Even I waited until 9 AM to call the plumber:p

Really? I did ask himthis morning after I read the post. He advised me to tell her to bypass the water company & call a plumber asap, turn off the water & gas.
Odie

Post by Odie »

CARLA;1200164 wrote: I agree cut to the chase get the plumber to order the water heater and come install it they know better than anyone what you need and how to put it in, in the long run it takes half the time.

is your mom`s a colored one.:guitarist:guitarist

love the new Maytag Washer & Dryers in teal blue!:D

Plumbers here charge wayyyyyy to much and take their sweet butt time doing it!:-5
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm back..

Water heater in - tried to give him a bad check:D -told me he'd bill me and that I should plan to pay as I can cause he knows it was an unexpected as well as unwelcome expense.. really nice guy:-4

everything dragged outside that was drag-able.. checked the forecast.. yeppers - rain/ possible TStorms...:yh_rotfl

Hurried and cut the grass and now....

I'm gonna go drag stuff into the garage and then hit the hot showers.. whooo hooo:-6

You've all been a source of strength in what started as a crappy day in Illinois.

Now go play somewhere else... this girl is definitely on the edge of taking no prisoners...;)

I'm sure I'll be better after the shower..

hugs!

Diane

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1200311 wrote: I'm back..

thanks for the warning

Now go play somewhere else... this girl is definitely on the edge of taking no prisoners...;)

Ill be your prisoner. I will barrage you with stupidness until your mind collapses. Day night night day.
I AM AWESOME MAN
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Nomad;1201706 wrote: thanks for the warning

Ill be your prisoner. I will barrage you with stupidness until your mind collapses. Day night night day.

And that will be different how?:p

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

He dropped off the bill today... guess.. includes he had to replace the pipe that was going in that was all blue crusty junk...

shelbell

Post by shelbell »

flopstock;1201716 wrote: He dropped off the bill today... guess.. includes he had to replace the pipe that was going in that was all blue crusty junk...

Remember girl, my house smells so I win. :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl ;)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

flopstock;1201715 wrote: And that will be different how?:p

I knew you were going to say that.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”