Shadow of Doubt

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
MaryC

Shadow of Doubt

Post by MaryC »

After a year and a half of being unable to find work, I have finally found a job. It's with a very small company (total employees = 4, including the owner) and I have just completed my second week there. Today the owner pulled me aside and told me that two times in the last week, there have been shortages in the register. I have been handling cash for over 20 years now, and I know the shortage is not due to an error in giving change or collecting money. The amounts missing are even amounts (60 one time, 30 the other) and I am convinced one of the other employees is taking money from the till. The owner, who likes to think the best of people, doesn't want to believe that someone is ripping him off. However, for the 8 months that he was the only one operating the register, there were no shortages. Now, with me on board, there have been two. He and I are not the only ones who have access to the register, but are the only ones who use it regularly. He also doesn't seem to want to do anything that might make the other two workers think he is questioning their integrity (like lock the register or point a security camera at it). Really - he seems to only want to believe that it's an error in the cash handling.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can deal with this? I don't want the owner to think that I'm either incompetent or a thief, and I certainly don't want to lose the job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Odie

Shadow of Doubt

Post by Odie »

MaryC;1301340 wrote: After a year and a half of being unable to find work, I have finally found a job. It's with a very small company (total employees = 4, including the owner) and I have just completed my second week there. Today the owner pulled me aside and told me that two times in the last week, there have been shortages in the register. I have been handling cash for over 20 years now, and I know the shortage is not due to an error in giving change or collecting money. The amounts missing are even amounts (60 one time, 30 the other) and I am convinced one of the other employees is taking money from the till. The owner, who likes to think the best of people, doesn't want to believe that someone is ripping him off. However, for the 8 months that he was the only one operating the register, there were no shortages. Now, with me on board, there have been two. He and I are not the only ones who have access to the register, but are the only ones who use it regularly. He also doesn't seem to want to do anything that might make the other two workers think he is questioning their integrity (like lock the register or point a security camera at it). Really - he seems to only want to believe that it's an error in the cash handling.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can deal with this? I don't want the owner to think that I'm either incompetent or a thief, and I certainly don't want to lose the job.

no one else should have access to your till accept you and your manager.

no one else has the right to be in your till.

point that out to him.

It's your register and your responsible for it.

If he can not abide by those rules, then he is not a manager who cares about his employees.

When I handled cash, no one was allowed to touch it.

If I left on break.......it was locked by my code.

and welcome to the forum MaryC!:-6
Life is just to short for drama.
Oscar Namechange

Shadow of Doubt

Post by Oscar Namechange »

MaryC;1301340 wrote: After a year and a half of being unable to find work, I have finally found a job. It's with a very small company (total employees = 4, including the owner) and I have just completed my second week there. Today the owner pulled me aside and told me that two times in the last week, there have been shortages in the register. I have been handling cash for over 20 years now, and I know the shortage is not due to an error in giving change or collecting money. The amounts missing are even amounts (60 one time, 30 the other) and I am convinced one of the other employees is taking money from the till. The owner, who likes to think the best of people, doesn't want to believe that someone is ripping him off. However, for the 8 months that he was the only one operating the register, there were no shortages. Now, with me on board, there have been two. He and I are not the only ones who have access to the register, but are the only ones who use it regularly. He also doesn't seem to want to do anything that might make the other two workers think he is questioning their integrity (like lock the register or point a security camera at it). Really - he seems to only want to believe that it's an error in the cash handling.

I have had two experiences of this kind of problem.

The first was an employee who had been with us for some time and was trusted. Every time a new member of staff joined, he would loot the till making It look as If the new-comer on the till was the thief. We caught him out be doing a till check on the hour every hour without his knowledge. When the money went missing, he was In the Immediate area of the till. We confronted him and he confessed.

The other time, It was a young girl I know that had started a job In a shop. The owner was a real sleaze and would under pay and all sorts. Every time she went In to work, he would tell her that her till was missing money from her shift the night before. She was the only one who used the till and was so upset she was going toleave the job. I told her to call his bluff so for the next few days that he told her that her till was missing money, she asked for the proof. She asked If she could please see the paper-work from when he cashed the till up... Of course, he didn't want to show her. It stopped but she left anyway.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Peg

Shadow of Doubt

Post by Peg »

It's your till, your responsibility. Lock it if you aren't in the immediate vicinity.
FUBAR

Shadow of Doubt

Post by FUBAR »

One of the reasons why tills had bells and prices were .99 cents. You had to always make change so you had to open the till and when the bell went ding the owner knew the till had been opened. Either lock it or get the owner to put in security cameras and let everyone know why..........:sneaky:
hoppy

Shadow of Doubt

Post by hoppy »

On one job I held, we did our till check at the end of our shift. One guy was proud of the fact he never made an error in his count. One day he did his till count, left it on the desk while he went to the bathroom before going home. I used this opportunity to slip a few coins from my own pocket, into his till.

Next day he and boss went nuts trying to find how he screwed up.

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”