Friend Advice

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
PizzaMan

Friend Advice

Post by PizzaMan »

What would you do if your friends suffered from mental health problems? Do you have any? I have a few friends with depression and one with bipolar. Never really sure if there is something I can do or if I should just leave them alone when they are going through stuff. On my mind cause I just started working with the SAMHSA and the What A Difference A Friend Makes program. It's this really awesome campaign to help raise awareness about mental health issues and how the support of freinds can increase the chances of recovery. Bells went off for me and I really want to be part of the solution for my friends. Anyways, there is a really cool website for the program that I thought I'd share - www.whatadifference.org/mentalhealth - It teaches people how to be a better friend to those who are suffering. So worthwhile!!
Ozay

Friend Advice

Post by Ozay »

My brother suffers from Mental health problems. I would say that we got on well although it has been a struggle for all my family with him in the past. I would say it is thanks to York NHS that my brother has finally got the help that he deserves. There is no solution to his long term mental health problems but at least they can be managed by medication and intervention by his Community Pyschiatric nurse who visits him once a fortnight. I will have a look at the website that u suggested. My brother has been told he is schizophrenic by doctors in the past but I don't know if this is a generalisation because one of my best friends who also has mental health problems and is a friend of my brothers also says that's what the doctors told him yet he has been bi-polar in the past and certainly hasn't had simular delusions to what my brother had in the past. I think it makes you a stronger person to have been through it all and to have to deal with it.
YZGI

Friend Advice

Post by YZGI »

It's been my experience that if you tell someone they are bipolar you best be ducking half way through the sentence.
PizzaMan

Friend Advice

Post by PizzaMan »

Did anyone visit the website/find it useful? I'd love to hear what you thought. I've found some of the resources helpful to me in my relationships.
Ozay

Friend Advice

Post by Ozay »

I have registered with the website that u have mentioned. I think it is great, they should have something like it in the UK.
biggirls

Friend Advice

Post by biggirls »

i think so , great site indeed

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”