It's gotta happen this year

Need help? Ask for it. Serious Discussions Only.
trappedinsidemyself

Post by trappedinsidemyself »

I'm a 33 woman. I'm hoping to find a good guy this year and move into a relationship. I'm running out of time at my age.

I don't want to miss out.

I had so many problems in my 20's that I lost out on enjoying those years and meeting people. I did nothing productive and had no fun when i was younger, my whole my life was spent wasting time online and now i realized im aging fast. I wish i had never found the internet at age 18, it ruined my life because i became a recluse. Now I'm scrambling in 2013 to find a circle of friends and a guy.

What can I do?

Is it too late, am I doomed?
gmc

Post by gmc »

No. You can waste the rest of your life regretting past actions or look at the past learn from it and walk on. You're not the only one that has had problems growing up that may have been hard to deal with but at some point you become responsible for your actions. To use one of my favourite aphorisms it's not what happens to you or what people do or say that matters it's how you decide to deal with it - that is all you can control.
trappedinsidemyself

Post by trappedinsidemyself »

So what can I do now?

It seems like I'm too awkward now to have a normal life.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Might as well try online dating. If that doesn't work for you my next best advice is to take a trip to Bangladesh.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Fiend

Post by Fiend »

Going out and meeting people, socializing, and having fun are all things I completely support. But planning on finding a good guy you're going to be in a relationship in might not be such an amazing idea.

Deciding you want or need a relationship makes you approach everyone you meet with a sort of agenda, and in my opinion obstructs the normal dynamics of a relationship (be it romantic one or just a friendship). Also, if you don't like your life as it is, and find a boyfriend you can not expect him to fix everything for you, one person can't make your entire life work (at least in my experience they can't)

My advice would be to start going out, find hobbies or start classes that would involve you being around a lot of people more often and start building a life you enjoy, and then if you meet someone you'd like being in a relationship with you should be able to offer them an opportunity to have some fun times instead of just hoping to be saved by them.
Minxing the world! @ Nothing Exchange
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

33 is nothing. What is it about the thirties that put folks into panic mode?

I'm 56 this coming year and I recently started seeing someone. And I look like a little old chunky weeble.

Go out and meet life, you'll find friends.

Attached files
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Post by Accountable »

trappedinsidemyself;1416555 wrote: So what can I do now?

It seems like I'm too awkward now to have a normal life.
Normal doesn't exist. :yh_wink

Go to a church. You don't have to be religious or anything. Church people are friendly, that's all. Find one or two you click with. They likely have lives outside of church. As you get to know them and their friends, I'm betting you'll find yourself opening up and becoming less awkward.

If you live in a larger town, you can do the same thing at a club meeting, if you can find one that interests you. Toastmasters, computer clubs, robotics, Society for Creative Anachronism, quilting, whatever.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Lots of things to do in real life. Like AC suggested, go somewhere were there are people. Social skills are always there, you just have to use them.

Join a gym, get into one of the classes. Find a hobby group.

I can not imagine Floppy as a weeble.......

Return to “Friends, Relationships, Advice”