Crocodile Hunter

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Portia

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Portia »

17 people on the whole planet have died from stingray barbs. it's such a freakish thing. i don't know if they die when they project their barbs.
AussiePam

Crocodile Hunter

Post by AussiePam »

Portia, Steve Irwin died of massive trauma, like a knife stab, suffered from the stingray spine, not envenomation.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Portia

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Portia »

right, of course. it would take time to die from the toxin and bacterial infection. ....there is currently controversy about whether the film of his last moments should ever be released, the police have it now for the coroner, but many people think it should be destroyed before some website gets it.
Shweet tatersalad

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

That film should be locked away in evidence locker and never see the light of day.Unless for medical reasons.but by no means should that be public.
nvalleyvee

Crocodile Hunter

Post by nvalleyvee »

libertine wrote: I just read on another website that Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter has been killed by a sting Ray sticking him in the chest.

Any further news? The article said his wife is trekking in Tasmania.

I used to enjoy Crocodile Hunter . Haven't watched it for ages, because it was reruns.

I know he did some strange things, but he was entertaining.

I feel uncommonly sad. Not like when most celebrities die....but almost bereft.

Very sad indeed. The huge sting ray managed to put its stinging tail through his ribs and pierce his heart. That is the word I got................very sad................what a fine man..............what a good teacher. I will miss him.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Marie5656

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Marie5656 »

Saw a news piece yeaterday which said that it was possible he would have survived had he not pulled the stinger out and waited for medical attention. They interviewed a guy who was attacked in a similar fashion..stung in the chest. His lung was pierced and it was close to the heart. But the people with him called in medical people and had them surgically remove tbhe stingray.
LilacDragon

Crocodile Hunter

Post by LilacDragon »

Marie5656 wrote: Saw a news piece yeaterday which said that it was possible he would have survived had he not pulled the stinger out and waited for medical attention. They interviewed a guy who was attacked in a similar fashion..stung in the chest. His lung was pierced and it was close to the heart. But the people with him called in medical people and had them surgically remove tbhe stingray.

I'm sure that is cold comfort to Terri.
Sandi

Marie5656

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Marie5656 »

LilacDragon wrote: I'm sure that is cold comfort to Terri.

I agree, LD. And it is hard to say what one does when it is a panic situation..and I am sure he paniced. Sad situation.
LilacDragon

Crocodile Hunter

Post by LilacDragon »

I have watched a lot of tribute videos in the last couple of days. This one is one of the best.

Sandi

Uncle Kram

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Uncle Kram »

I am reminded watching that, that there was just no containing his unbridled enthusiasm. Wotta guy.

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
LilacDragon

Crocodile Hunter

Post by LilacDragon »

Saw this on the Animal PLanet tribute to Steve Irwin.

WRITTEN BY drharper on Livejournal - I can't and wont take credit for this myself, but it just seemed right to post this here

_______

An interesting day at the Rainbow Bridge.

Rainbow Bridge is a place of both peace and anticipation as departed pets await their beloved owners. There are plenty of things to keep them contented while they wait: trees you can't get stuck in, endless meadows, splashing streams, thickets perfect to hide in for pounce-attack games.

But one day the residents noticed some rather...unusual newcomers arrive.

The koalas and the kangaroos slipped in rather quietly, but then came the bearded dragons, the skinks and the goannas. The influx of snakes startled an entire family of cats up a tree. Pythons, cobras, tiger snakes, brown snakes and even fierce snakes. There were so many at one point, it seemed the ground itself was alive with writhing. A burly wombat shouldered his way through the crowd and plopped down in a shady spot, barely missing a Jack Russell terrier who yapped indignantly as he abandoned his position.

And then the crocodiles showed up.

Finally, a Great Dane managed to get up enough nerve to approach one of the reptillian giants.

"Um....excuse me," he said hesitantly. "But why are you all here?"

The croc dropped her jaw and laughed. "Same as you, mate," she said. "Waitin' for someone who loved us."

The dogs, cats, gerbils and other "typical pets" looked at each other in confusion, then at the plethora of weird, ugly and downright deadly creatures assembled. Who on Earth could possibly love some of those faces?

"I see him!" shouted a green mamba from his vantage point in one of the trees. A cacophony of squeeks, hisses, bellows and roars erupted as the mob surged forward toward a lone human walking across the field toward the bridge. The other animals managed to catch a glimpse of him before he was overwhelmed by the crowd.

"CRIKEY!" he shouted joyously right before he was bowled over by the wombat.

"Well I'll be," said a Persian as she tidied up her fur. "It's that Aussie my human liked to watch on TV. Had to be the craziest human on the whole planet."

"Oh, please," remarked a echidna as he hurried by. "Is it really that that crazy to passionately love something God made?"
Sandi

Rain

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Rain »

I saw on Larry King the other night Steve's best friend. This man was onboard the boat with Phillipe Cousteau when the accident occured. Larry asked him about the video showing his death. This man (name??) said that once it's released from police custody, he'll make sure it's Stomped on. Ruined. So no one will ever see it again. He said that he was made to watch it as evidence of truthfulness. How horribly sad for this man.

As for Steve pulling out the barb, I think that's an instinctual reflex. Don't you? Like when a bug is on you. You quickly swipe it off. Reflex. Get it Off/Out!

:(
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

Here's another view:

SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.

Irwin died in a freak diving accident off Australia’s northeast coast on Monday after he was hit in the chest by the serrated barb from a stingray’s tail.

Echoing comments she made this week in Britain’s Guardian newspaper, Australian-born Greer likened Irwin to a lion tamer and said he had intruded on the habitats of animals and treated them with “massive insensitivity.”

“It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.”
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
zinkyusa

Crocodile Hunter

Post by zinkyusa »

Lulu2 wrote: Here's another view:

SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.

Irwin died in a freak diving accident off Australia’s northeast coast on Monday after he was hit in the chest by the serrated barb from a stingray’s tail.

Echoing comments she made this week in Britain’s Guardian newspaper, Australian-born Greer likened Irwin to a lion tamer and said he had intruded on the habitats of animals and treated them with “massive insensitivity.”

“It’s no surprise that he came to grief,” Greer told Nine Network television.

“We now have enough respect for lions to be embarrassed if we see someone trying to crack whips at them and wave chairs at them. Jumping all over crocodiles is the same kind of thing.”

A truly empathetic lady:rolleyes: His body's not even cold:mad:
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
RedGlitter

Crocodile Hunter

Post by RedGlitter »

Maybe not, but there are a lot of people who do feel that way.
zinkyusa

Crocodile Hunter

Post by zinkyusa »

RedGlitter wrote: Maybe not, but there are a lot of people who do feel that way.

Maybe so, but it's in poor taste IMO to say it publicly now while the family is mourning.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
socwrkMera

Crocodile Hunter

Post by socwrkMera »

i have some pretty strong opinions on this. One, i hear more and more, "well, what'd he expect". Come on now. He might have been wrestling alligators for a career, but he was doing something I did on a cruise. It's the least most dangerous thing he's probably ever done, and he's killed doing it. One of the biggest ironies i've encountered in a while. I could understand these comments, i'd even have to make some myself, if he was killed by a croc. If that was the case i'd have to say well.....don't you have a will just incase? Even so, what a family. There's a wife, 8yr and 3yr. old that especially now, deserve for noone to say "well, sorry, your dad should have known better". If that's the case we need to take all the public memorials of fallen soldiers off the television because they're the ones that signed up for the military. It's just not so.
socwrkMera

Crocodile Hunter

Post by socwrkMera »

zinkyusa wrote: Maybe so, but it's in poor taste IMO to say it publicly now while the family is mourning.

I 2nd that motion........though i speak for myself,not insinuating you have these views but, in saying this, i've read alot of these post before i've made my comments because i'm more of the reader than the respond type, "redglitter" seems to be full of bad taste. it's her way or the highway. Oh boy, i'm new so she might try to pull her "she's been here longer" card i've caught on another thread recently. i don't agree with alot of the "he should have expected it" stuff, especially now when he's got a family torn to pieces that have done nothing but lost a part of their heart in his death. besides the fact that the stingray was buried in the sand, and unseen until it struck him. he didn't even know it was coming. He didn't have a chance. how horrifying to even know that someone had to watch a video of it for evidence. i have no envy towards that individual.
rainingsun

Crocodile Hunter

Post by rainingsun »

flopstock wrote: yeah, it's on cnn and other sites too.

that's too bad. he has a littleone just a couple of years old i think:(

Yeah I know. That was my first thought. It made my heart clench when people started making rude statements in the media about his death right after it happened. I was just praying that they weren't hearing too much of it, or at all. I couldn't imagine being a kid and hearing about your dad is dead and should've knowin it was going to happen. Its just sad anyway you see it I guess.
rainingsun

Crocodile Hunter

Post by rainingsun »

socwrk/ hi, welcome to the forum. I just seen you responded to a post of mine earlier. Kinda funny we arrive at the same place. There's thousands of threads here on this forum. You'll like it, there's something for everyone. I take it you're a social worker?
rainingsun

Crocodile Hunter

Post by rainingsun »

socwrkMera wrote: i have some pretty strong opinions on this. One, i hear more and more, "well, what'd he expect". Come on now. He might have been wrestling alligators for a career, but he was doing something I did on a cruise. It's the least most dangerous thing he's probably ever done, and he's killed doing it. One of the biggest ironies i've encountered in a while. I could understand these comments, i'd even have to make some myself, if he was killed by a croc. If that was the case i'd have to say well.....don't you have a will just incase? Even so, what a family. There's a wife, 8yr and 3yr. old that especially now, deserve for noone to say "well, sorry, your dad should have known better". If that's the case we need to take all the public memorials of fallen soldiers off the television because they're the ones that signed up for the military. It's just not so.

I'm a military spouse, and we too sometimes get the "well you joined so you know the risks" yes we do, but that doesn't mean it would be any less devistating if something happened. I have to say that is seems like the ones I agree with have that sarcastic humor that I have. It's actually kind of eerie. lol.
RedGlitter

Crocodile Hunter

Post by RedGlitter »

socwrkMera wrote: I 2nd that motion........though i speak for myself,not insinuating you have these views but, in saying this, i've read alot of these post before i've made my comments because i'm more of the reader than the respond type, "redglitter" seems to be full of bad taste. it's her way or the highway. Oh boy, i'm new so she might try to pull her "she's been here longer" card i've caught on another thread recently. i don't agree with alot of the "he should have expected it" stuff, especially now when he's got a family torn to pieces that have done nothing but lost a part of their heart in his death. besides the fact that the stingray was buried in the sand, and unseen until it struck him. he didn't even know it was coming. He didn't have a chance. how horrifying to even know that someone had to watch a video of it for evidence. i have no envy towards that individual.

socwrkMera, before you judge me again or make any more rude comments designed to stir up trouble, make sure you have a reason to first. I happen to think the comment was in poor taste myself and am in agreement with Zinky. What I said was that many people seem to feel that way. You can think whatever you want but at Forum Garden we try not to tear people down.
socwrkMera

Crocodile Hunter

Post by socwrkMera »

RedGlitter wrote: socwrkMera, before you judge me again or make any more rude comments designed to stir up trouble, make sure you have a reason to first. I happen to think the comment was in poor taste myself and am in agreement with Zinky. What I said was that many people seem to feel that way. You can think whatever you want but at Forum Garden we try not to tear people down.

I'm gonna stop you on this before it goes any further because I've been up quite awhile now reading threads and what not. I'm not the only one questioning your little ego ya got going on here. I've encountered so far quite a few people who'd beg to differ with you, on several subjects. You seem to have a thing for people who don't happen to like what you say, and you'll turn right around and do it back, yet somehow it's alright for you to do so. You turn on everybody like their hurting you when what they're saying is different from yours. I don't know who you think you're talking to, but I'm not gonna put up with that. Don't complain to me about any bad apples here in this forum because the only one I've noticed is you. Now take a breather, count to ten, and don't step on my toes because i can step on yours. If your in denial do what I did and go read some posts you've made in the past. This conversation is finished and I'm going to go enjoy myself in the rest of this forum. I'm sorry I'm creating a slight amount of drama, but I'm gonna stop this before it starts. Goodbye.
K.Snyder

Crocodile Hunter

Post by K.Snyder »

socwrkMera wrote: I'm gonna stop you on this before it goes any further because I've been up quite awhile now reading threads and what not. I'm not the only one questioning your little ego ya got going on here. I've encountered so far quite a few people who'd beg to differ with you, on several subjects. You seem to have a thing for people who don't happen to like what you say, and you'll turn right around and do it back, yet somehow it's alright for you to do so. You turn on everybody like their hurting you when what they're saying is different from yours. I don't know who you think you're talking to, but I'm not gonna put up with that. Don't complain to me about any bad apples here in this forum because the only one I've noticed is you. Now take a breather, count to ten, and don't step on my toes because i can step on yours. If your in denial do what I did and go read some posts you've made in the past. This conversation is finished and I'm going to go enjoy myself in the rest of this forum. I'm sorry I'm creating a slight amount of drama, but I'm gonna stop this before it starts. Goodbye.

If you were going to stop it you wouldnt have posted this garb.

I'm not one to step in others' business, but considering this is a public forum I feel the right. Having said that, I think this is a little over the top, and its rather unclassy.
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

Lulu2 wrote: SYDNEY, Australia - Feminist academic Germaine Greer said on Wednesday she hoped the death of Australian “Crocodile Hunter” Steve Irwin would mark the end of what she called exploitative nature documentaries, a discordant note amid floods of tributes.

I would argue with Ms Greer that the so-called exploitative nature documetaries have served to raise public awareness of our fellow creatures and have done far more to create an atmosphere of respect and a consensus for conservation of species than any PETA demonstration ever did. These documentaries are educational and allow us to experience nature and wildlife in its natural environment under natural circumstances. Steve Irwin was a defender of the wildlife he documented and crocs are better off with advocates like Irwin who see them as something more than handbags and boots.
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

Glitter, Adam, Zinky....I posted "another view" (Ms. Greer's) because it's a valid opinion and shared by many in the "animal education" community. The fact that Mr. Irwin is no longer with us is, indeed, tragic, especially since he died in such a public way and has young children.

I'm glad for the children that he's left such a large video legacy.
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

I addressed Ms. Greer and stated why I thought Irwin was a great educator of wildlife and why I think his work has had a tremendous impact on wildlife conservation efforts. Ms. Greer is a "feminist academic" not a biologist. I'm curious, as someone who works in a zoo, where you stand on the issue if you don't object to letting us know and I'm wondering what Ms. Greer's view would be of zoos for that matter. In case you don't know, I am a big fan of responsible zoos and nature documentaries.
zinkyusa

Crocodile Hunter

Post by zinkyusa »

I'm not that well versed in the proper way to handle animals for documentaries etc and will defer to adam, lulu et al on that issue, my point was simply to have some empathy for family. I feel Ms Greer was kicking them while they were down and it was not right. There is a proper time and place for that debate and her forum wasn't it IMO. Didn't mean to come off like I was picking on lulu or glitter, far from it..;)
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

You can pick on LuLu, she likes it.:)
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

"She likes it?" (Shhhh, Adam, don't reveal our lil' secret!) Kinky, in no way have I seen disrespect from YOU! I'm thinking we're probably seeing Ms. Greer's comments taken out of a total context. The sad part is that she IS right....I'm hoping they were couched in a statement of sympathy for the family.
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

But why is she right? I just don't see it. My full interest in wildlife conservation began with my love of nature documentaries. I am now a member of National Geographic and the National Wildlife Federation. Without people like Irwin, I suspect I wouldn't give a hoot about preserving wildlife. LuLu, I'm betting my bottom dollar that people like Ms. Greer wouldn't cotton too much to zoos either. What do you think?
CheshireCat

Crocodile Hunter

Post by CheshireCat »

Adam Zapple wrote: But why is she right? I just don't see it. My full interest in wildlife conservation began with my love of nature documentaries. I am now a member of National Geographic and the National Wildlife Federation. Without people like Irwin, I suspect I wouldn't give a hoot about preserving wildlife. LuLu, I'm betting my bottom dollar that people like Ms. Greer wouldn't cotton too much to zoos either. What do you think?

I agree with you Adam! Whole heartedly! Without Animal planet and people like Steve, we would be oblivious to situations concerning wildlife preservation. Steve Irwin did great things for wild life, he dedicated his life to it! I have much respect for the man and anyone that would try to trample his good name now, of all times, is just publicity seeking filth!
"My body is the earth but my head is in the stars."

God Bless BR!!!
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

Adam/Cheshire....there's another thread on this board in which I said something like this...

I've been handling reptiles for 15 years and know something about this. Steve wanted his shows to be engaging (of course) and, in order to do that, he chose to "glamorize" them by handling the reptiles in a way which made them fearful/aggressive and heightened the DRAMA.

It always made me CRAZY to see the way he handled snakes.....he deliberately made them act aggressively by making them afraid. I saw him on tv once (I think "Good Morning America") and he had a very large snake...maybe eight feet long. The snake wasn't being active enough, apparently, so Steve hung it like a rope (a HUGE "no-no") and then flung it onto the floor, so it would try to escape. Naturally, the snake looked more "dangerous," the tv personalities "oooooh-ed" appropriately, and when Steve yanked the snake back upright, it very nearly bit him in the cheek! MORE "OOOOOOOHS'' and "AAAAAHS," of course....but he'd done that deliberately.

The same thing's true of the way he'd leap onto crocodiles/alligators. NONE of that was necessary!

If you know many zoo people/animal handlers, they'll tell you we've all applauded him publicly for arousing interest/concern for animal habitats, etc.....but we've cringed privately when he mis-handled those same animals.

It's like Marlin Perkins or Jack Hanna....you've got to love 'em for what they've publicized...but they're DOOFUSES when it comes to actually handling those animals.
Adam Zapple

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Adam Zapple »

Good points, Lu but I dont' think any animals are really harmed in the making of those documentaries. ;) I think the positives outweigh the negatives.
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

I'm sure that's what Steve thought. It's a fine line...but my concern is that he also "taught" people to disrespect and mishandle animals.

IT IS MY HOT-BUTTON, OKAYYYYYY? :wah:
RedGlitter

Crocodile Hunter

Post by RedGlitter »

Lulu, I agree completely with what you're saying. I have always hated the way Steve handled animals. Outright harrassing them at times. I don't think complaining of this is in any way shadowing his name or memory, what he did speaks for itself, the good as well as the bad.
RedGlitter

Crocodile Hunter

Post by RedGlitter »

zinkyusa wrote: Didn't mean to come off like I was picking on lulu or glitter, far from it..;)

Thanks, Zinky :) I am in agreement with you about the inappropriate timing of Greer's comment.
Jcas

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Jcas »

I was really saddened by this tragic event.......and also by Germaine Greer and her woefull timing of her comments.

I liked the comments of Steves best mate when he was asked what he thought about Germaines comments .... his reaction was "Germaine who....who is Germaine Greer????"
Amie

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Amie »

I'm still to this day saddened by the loss of Steve Irwin.

He's done a lot of good for this world, you only have to walk inside Australia Zoo to know his love and passion for animals and the environment.

Whether you loved him, or he just drove you nuts with his whacky ways, he bought wildlife to people in a way never done before, and that legacy will be enormous for the kids who loved him.

In spite of all that, he was an adoring father, son, friend, and husband, and a human being and he deserves respect for that alone.

Oh and Germaine Greer is an attention whore, nothing more, nothing less. I'm surprised she hasn't commented on Vegemite being banned in the USA, any old time Australia is in the news she's there flapping her chops. :mad:
Bryn Mawr

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Amie;440065 wrote: I'm still to this day saddened by the loss of Steve Irwin.

He's done a lot of good for this world, you only have to walk inside Australia Zoo to know his love and passion for animals and the environment.

Whether you loved him, or he just drove you nuts with his whacky ways, he bought wildlife to people in a way never done before, and that legacy will be enormous for the kids who loved him.

In spite of all that, he was an adoring father, son, friend, and husband, and a human being and he deserves respect for that alone.

Oh and Germaine Greer is an attention whore, nothing more, nothing less. I'm surprised she hasn't commented on Vegemite being banned in the USA, any old time Australia is in the news she's there flapping her chops. :mad:

All too true.

And welcome back - long time no see
beautiful_soul

Crocodile Hunter

Post by beautiful_soul »

Lulu2;391675 wrote: Adam/Cheshire....there's another thread on this board in which I said something like this...

I've been handling reptiles for 15 years and know something about this. Steve wanted his shows to be engaging (of course) and, in order to do that, he chose to "glamorize" them by handling the reptiles in a way which made them fearful/aggressive and heightened the DRAMA.

It always made me CRAZY to see the way he handled snakes.....he deliberately made them act aggressively by making them afraid. I saw him on tv once (I think "Good Morning America") and he had a very large snake...maybe eight feet long. The snake wasn't being active enough, apparently, so Steve hung it like a rope (a HUGE "no-no") and then flung it onto the floor, so it would try to escape. Naturally, the snake looked more "dangerous," the tv personalities "oooooh-ed" appropriately, and when Steve yanked the snake back upright, it very nearly bit him in the cheek! MORE "OOOOOOOHS'' and "AAAAAHS," of course....but he'd done that deliberately.

The same thing's true of the way he'd leap onto crocodiles/alligators. NONE of that was necessary!

If you know many zoo people/animal handlers, they'll tell you we've all applauded him publicly for arousing interest/concern for animal habitats, etc.....but we've cringed privately when he mis-handled those same animals.

It's like Marlin Perkins or Jack Hanna....you've got to love 'em for what they've publicized...but they're DOOFUSES when it comes to actually handling those animals.

Hm...but maybe that teaches us how a snake will react in certain situations and what shall be done when it happens and what shall not be done, just a second thought of that situation :)
RedGlitter

Crocodile Hunter

Post by RedGlitter »

Well...at the snake's expense. That's not too cool. :(
Lulu2

Crocodile Hunter

Post by Lulu2 »

Just curious...how do I biff a saltie?

Return to “Australia”