Perfect Storm set to hit Australia

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

Just saw this article. Hope our Aussie friends make out OK.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20070104/sc ... 0104114339
Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

I had heard that Australians were having a real problem with lack of water from a friend with rels in Adelaide. Hope the Ozzies do a better job of catching it and hanging on to it than Thames Water.
guppy

Post by guppy »

it is packing 145 mile per hour winds..hope you all stay safe in aussie land.....
lester88

Post by lester88 »

Good luck to all you Aussies :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

How does that work, paying for your water?

We have water rates here which each household has to pay towards sewage, drains, drinking water etc. we can either have a meter installed and pay for what we use on a quarterly bill or pay a set amount (for large families or heavy domestic users metering is not cost effective).

Is it the same for you or does that level of cost just come in when water is short?
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Tigerlily

Post by Tigerlily »

A few hundred yards up from the Thames, and after days of deluges, we are still under a hosepipe ban!! Thames Water (owned by a German firm) have made oodles of profit and my garden looks like a mudbath, after looking like a desert all summer.

I hope they manage the blessed rain better Down Under!
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

You Aussie's sound like us in California when we have our droughts... :-6 Hope you get just enough rain to make things green again, and no flooding.:D
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

(Is it time to stop our rain dance now?)

Seriously....is everyone ok? All those fires would've left land liable to flooding....
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

thanks for answering my question about water. When you can turn on a tap when you like you tend to get a bit complacent about it. We save rainwater in a butt in the garden and buckets when that's full! It seems a scandal to use drinking water on your garden, hubby has been known to syphon off bath water to water the lawn with but I think that's 'cos he's tight and we have a water meter!!

The bugs in the water reminded me of when the local police station was struck down with a mysterious bug that only affected a certain shift. Eventually it was tracked down to a dead pigeon in the tank in the roof and an impatient copper who would run hot water to fill the kettle to boil it quicker! The other shifts were ok 'cos they used the mains cold water!!

Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Diuretic;507176 wrote: I hope he got an appropriate nickname Imladris :D

Oh he definitely got some stick over it!!

Return to “Australia”