Australian Republicans - American Republicans

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I heard that an earlier thread had caused some confusion, on the terminology.

I don't think anyone in this Forum is unaware of the existence in America of Democrats and Republicans, and we probably all have at least a smattering of a glimpse of what each party is about.

Australian Republicans have absolutely nothing to do with right wing politics. And absolutely nothing to do with American politics. The movement towards making Australia a Republic - that is having an Australian Head of State in place of the British Monarch - is non-party. Australian Republicans are found in all parties here. The referendum on the subject was scuppered by a right wing politician, but the leader of the Republican movement is also a right wing politician. The left wingers are mostly in favour of Australia becoming a Republic.

Hope that clarifies any confusion.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Is that somehow relevant?

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1286240 wrote: I heard that an earlier thread had caused some confusion, on the terminology.

I don't think anyone in this Forum is unaware of the existence in America of Democrats and Republicans, and we probably all have at least a smattering of a glimpse of what each party is about.

Australian Republicans have absolutely nothing to do with right wing politics. And absolutely nothing to do with American politics. The movement towards making Australia a Republic - that is having an Australian Head of State in place of the British Monarch - is non-party. Australian Republicans are found in all parties here. The referendum on the subject was scuppered by a right wing politician, but the leader of the Republican movement is also a right wing politician. The left wingers are mostly in favour of Australia becoming a Republic.

Hope that clarifies any confusion.

Gotcha Pam:-6

Our Republicans are usually conserative and right wing.

Our Democrats are usually less conserative and more liberal.

WikiAnswers - What is the difference between Republicans and Democrats
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Isn't it amazing, Kathy, how the same word can carry such different loadings in different contexts.. :D

I guess we all assume too, that we all understand each other's major celebrations etc. At least one non-Australian FGer admitted he hadn't a clue what Australia Day meant. Grin. I think we got well wishes from about four non-Aussies. It's a start, I suppose. It would be nice, wouldn't it, if we all could all travel more and become more informed about each other's cultures.

:-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Pam:-6

Why do you have that lone chair in that quiet room?

Come join me and let's chat about some fun books and drink lots of coffee and vino while stuffing our faces with lots of decadent, yummy food...:D:p

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Kathy Ellen;1286294 wrote: Pam:-6

Why do you have that lone chair in that quiet room?

Come join me and let's chat about some fun books and drink lots of coffee and vino while stuffing our faces with lots of decadent, yummy food...:D:p

That's pretty much how I feel in here these days, Kathy - and I was feeling it even more so last week. I'd love to join you in reality for pizza and vino or a cosmo- but am about to head off to a meeting shortly. Take care!!!

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1286293 wrote: Isn't it amazing, Kathy, how the same word can carry such different loadings in different contexts.. :D

I guess we all assume too, that we all understand each other's major celebrations etc. At least one non-Australian FGer admitted he hadn't a clue what Australia Day meant. Grin. I think we got well wishes from about four non-Aussies. It's a start, I suppose. It would be nice, wouldn't it, if we all could all travel more and become more informed about each other's cultures.

:-6

I agree Pam...We do assume too much, and that's where misunderstanding come into play. It's true...the more you travel...the more you understand cultural differences.

Janny....On my 1st trip home to Ireland I went to a dance and this fella asked me if I wanted to go for a mineral...Jasus, I thought he wanted to go rock hunting...didn't know he wanted to treat me to a soda pop:wah:

I've never been to Oz, and yet I knew your Australia day was important.

I can't believe that only 4 non Aussies replied:-1 But, now people know that Australia Day is an important day for our Aussie friends;) Yes, it's a start...one step at a time.
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

AussiePam;1286240 wrote:

The movement towards making Australia a Republic - that is having an Australian Head of State in place of the British Monarch - is non-party.

Living in a Commonwealth nation that shares the same foreign head of state as Australia, I commend your Republican movement.

My maternal ancestors were United Empire Loyalists. They left Connecticut shortly after the American Revolution to live under the British crown in southeastern Ontario. While I'm pleased that they did so 230 years ago, it's long overdue that we (and you) had our own elected heads of state.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Richard Bell;1286335 wrote: Living in a Commonwealth nation that shares the same foreign head of state as Australia, I commend your Republican movement.

My maternal ancestors were United Empire Loyalists. They left Connecticut shortly after the American Revolution to live under the British crown in southeastern Ontario. While I'm pleased that they did so 230 years ago, it's long overdue that we (and you) had our own elected heads of state.

I agree absolutely, Richard. And such a large proportion of the Australian population these days are from countries other than the United Kingdom. But even many of those who are UK born, or UK descended see the importance of getting our Nation's symbolism updated. At least, Canada has it's own flag. There are still quite a few Australians who feel they fought and died for the current Australian Flag. Personally, I don't think people fight or die for a Flag, it's a bit of cloth after all - they fought and died for Australia. I'd like to see an instantly recognisable Australian flag too. There was one suggested a while back that I found particularly interesting. Not Matilda the boxing kangaroo. That's too flip. But using the colours associated with our landscape. Red earth, prussian blue sky, southern cross. I'll see if I can find it.

Kathy - you've travelled a lot, and are aware of other lands and cultures. I think the more we know, the more we realise we are only just breaking the surface too. That's what I've found. There are always more layers beneath - to explore and appreciate.

AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Here's a website which give details of the 1997 competition to design a new Australian flag. The third suggestion in the top row is the one I liked best.

The Gloo A New Flag for a New Country

Attached files

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

AussiePam;1286282 wrote: Is that somehow relevant?

lol. Ummm... sorry. I was trying to teach another teacher how to embed pictures on a web page and I googled "Australian Republicans" for an example. Please disregard and sorry for putting that up. I meant to delete it and put in an opinion post.:o
Richard Bell

Post by Richard Bell »

AussiePam;1286362 wrote: Here's a website which give details of the 1997 competition to design a new Australian flag. The third suggestion in the top row is the one I liked best.

The Gloo A New Flag for a New Country

As an outsider, purely on an design perspective, I'd favour the third one in the second row.

When it comes to flags and symbols, I believe in the less is more approach.

That kangaroo flag looks like it was designed by a ten year old!
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Richard Bell;1286527 wrote: As an outsider, purely on an design perspective, I'd favour the third one in the second row.

When it comes to flags and symbols, I believe in the less is more approach.

That kangaroo flag looks like it was designed by a ten year old!

The problem of just the southern cross on its own is that it's not just Australian, but gets claimed by other southern hemisphere countries.

The kangaroo is a stylised Aboriginal design... so I would be politically incorrect to roll around the floor laughing... but heck, I'm politically incorrect by nature... so :yh_rotfl

I think somebody suggested a simple spring of yellow wattle on a background of green - like your maple leaf. The green and yellow seem to be Australian colours for the purposes of cricket, Olympics etc.

Return to “Australia”