Winter Down Under

A forum to discuss local issues in Australia.
Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

Well winter is definitely creeping in down here in Australia. The nights and early mornings are becoming increasingly icy.

So what am I looking forward to? Cosy nights at home in front of the fire, making lots of yummy soups, the winter fashions, snow-boarding (Mt.Buller), the smell of wet earth and eucalypts, counter meals and games of pool at the local pub.

Yay! bring it on. :cool:
abbey

Winter Down Under

Post by abbey »

Hope the winter is kind to you Jika, just hope we get a little of your sunshine :-6 to help the flowers along x
Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

Hey thanks Abbey. :)

I hope the winter is kind too. Probably the only thing that really gets to me is having cold hands and feet. Guess it's time to pull out all the woolly socks and gloves.

I'm willing the sunshine your way :-6 so be sure to post some pics of all those beautiful flowers when they pop up.
BabyRider

Winter Down Under

Post by BabyRider »

With your winter comes my spring. Thank god!!! How cold does it get there, Jika? Is it like our winters with several feet of snow possible, and sub-zero temps for days on end? So odd to me...Mid-May bringing winter.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

Hi BR!

Yeah I guess it is weird trying to imagine our seasons reversed. Don't want to swap by any chance do you?

:wah:

We never ever get it as freezing as you folk up north. It only snows in a few places in Australia, in the southern states like the Victorian high country (mountainous area)

Talking temperatures is tricky b/c we work in celsius down here where as USA works in farenheit and I'm useless at conversion. Anyhow if this makes any sense, the temp can drop down to like -1C in the early mornings and peak about 10C some days.

That probably makes me sound like a complete wimp :wah: compared to your winters but I guess it's all about what people are acclimatized to.

Hope you have a wonderful spring/summer btw. :)
BabyRider

Winter Down Under

Post by BabyRider »

Some days I would gladly swap with you, Jika! But when riding season is getting underway, not for the world!!!

Nah, you don't sound like a whimp at all. Personally, I stay away from the outdoors as much as possible in winter, unless I'm hunting. So perhaps I am the whimp? It sure does matter what you're used to. Friends from the south have a hard time visiting in the winter. Winter bites!!!

But, no matter the season, if I had a chance to visit your country, I'd do it any time of year.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

I'd love to visit the USA sometime too. It certainly has vast, beautiful landscapes and everything from northern snow country thru more temperate climes to tropical southern states.

So do you ride motorbikes in spring/summer in like a competition or something?
BabyRider

Winter Down Under

Post by BabyRider »

I guess we all see other places as more interesting than our own homes, huh? Maybe because the possibility of getting to those far-away places is slim.

Nope, no competition, we just ride. The big cruisers, though, not the "crotch rockets." We call those guys "organ donors." Machines built for the sole purpose of going really fast. It's a lifestyle, really. I mean, there are people who ride, and then there are bikers. We (my finace and I) are the latter.

But I'm taking over your thread, here. Tell me more about your country! Do you really come across kangaroos the way we come across deer?
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

:wah: @ "crotch rockets"

The only time I ever rode motorbikes was as a teen on 'dirt' or 'off-road' bikes. God that was so much fun! Nearly killed myself a few times falling off and the day I smashed-up my very first boyfriends bike ( bent the handle bars, smashed the light and broke the tacometer) he nearly killed me. :wah: oops....my bad.

Now back to Kangaroos.....um yep they're everywhere!

Nah, j/k :) Not in the towns and cities but if you drive or ride out in the country/bush

they are fairly common. Most regions where they are prevalent have warning road signs to advise caution etc.

Gorgeous animals but man can they total a car if they jump out in front of one at high speed.
BabyRider

Winter Down Under

Post by BabyRider »

Well there is something in common! Hit a deer doing 65 or so, and it's a big ol' mess!!!

Were you hurt bad when you dumped the bike? The men are a bit protective of their toys, aren't they?! Big babies.... :yh_bigsmi
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

David813

Winter Down Under

Post by David813 »

I'm envious of your winter Jika!! Because of Global Warming Kansas City and most of the Midwest missed out on the whole season. We're told to expect a bumper crop of insects and violent weather in Spring followed by drought.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

Luckily for me no serious injury although I did score the handle-bars in the neck and was told later (due to painful throat) I was a bee's dick away from having a crushed larynx/neck fracture.

Can't tell you how unimpressed my mother was. :wah: Needless to say I was banned big time from bikes after that. Shame really, they were so much fun especially in the mud. :)

Boys and their bikes and cars, hmmm.......no difference between the Aussie and American males then! :wah:
Jika

Winter Down Under

Post by Jika »

David813 wrote: I'm envious of your winter Jika!! Because of Global Warming Kansas City and most of the Midwest missed out on the whole season. We're told to expect a bumper crop of insects and violent weather in Spring followed by drought.

Sheesh that's bad news David. Hope the farmers don't do it to tough. Missing a whole seasons crop can be devastating financially.

Stay safe if the violent weather rolls in. Eek! that sounds scary. What do they do about the insects? Spray everything?
abbey

Winter Down Under

Post by abbey »

Jika wrote: Hey thanks Abbey. :)

I hope the winter is kind too. Probably the only thing that really gets to me is having cold hands and feet. Guess it's time to pull out all the woolly socks and gloves.

I'm willing the sunshine your way :-6 so be sure to post some pics of all those beautiful flowers when they pop up.I shall go down into Bluebell wood tomorrow, armed with a camera just for you x.

Return to “Australia”