Size Matters

A forum to discuss all to do with clothes, fashion, beauty, and cosmetics.
QUINNSCOMMENTARY

Size Matters

Post by QUINNSCOMMENTARY »

By chance, I saw a Victoria’s Secret commercial on TV recently and it stimulated my thinking. (As an aside those commercials are more interesting than the first issue of Playboy) :yh_sweat

I thought to myself, bras are a rather inflexible device. When I buy a pair of pants off the rack I look for a 36-29 meaning that waist is 36 inches and the length of the leg is 29 inches, but if I happen to be 35 inches around the waist I go to a tailor and have the pants taken in a bit, or perhaps I have the legs shortened a tad.

When I buy a better pair of pants, the tailor fits them to my actual size (for a fee, of course).

But what about bras, they appear to come in a series of rather fixed sizes, you know like 36 C or 34 B or even the infamous DD. Actually they go as high a J. Is every woman exactly a C, or B or D? What does she do if she is actually a C- or B+? Perhaps worse is there any relief if she is a 36 ½ C+? However, there is hope, at least one manufacturer has introduced the A ½, B ½ and C ½, we can only hope that the B ½ is equal to a C – ½.

This all seems rather unfair to me. And what happens if a women gets one of those breast augmentations, do bags of saline come in exactly a C or D (it appears mostly in the D area) size, can you simply add or subtract liquid?

Upon further investigation I did uncover that the 34, or 36 portion of the size is somewhat flexible with an inch or so between hooks so now I feel better that there is some room for comfort.

On the other hand, I buy shirts that are 16-33, but even I am not exactly 33 inches in length for each arm, so I suspect the chances of perfect symmetry in the B or C area is a bit unlikely. How unfair. In fact, most women are asymmetrical (10% severely), with the left breast being larger in 62%.

Am I alone in my dismay? Apparently not, as surveys show that between 70% and 100% of women wear the wrong size bra and who can blame them with all this size variability. ;)

On to the problem of Jockey shorts which only come in even sizes as well.:-1
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." George Bernard Shaw

"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking" Gen. George Patton

Quinnscommentary

Observations on Life. Give it a try now and tell a friend or two or fifty. ;)

Quinnscommentary Blog
qsducks

Size Matters

Post by qsducks »

Umm, thinking. My bras are from Victoria's Secret and they fit very nicely. Doesn't even feel like they're on. And as for underwear for women, they usually come in odd sizes.
RedGlitter

Size Matters

Post by RedGlitter »

Bras suck.

They are irksome and uncomfortable at least if you are built well enough to require wearing one. Smaller women are probably luckier in the comfort realm.

The trick with fitting bras: the larger the cup size, the smaller the band size needed. If you go up a cup size then go to the next smaller size band. If you go a smaller cup size get the next bigger band size.

This is info for the women, Quinn....not for you. :wah: ;)

It only took me years to figure that out and now brassiere buying is pretty much a breeze.

Athough....bras still suck.

:)
qsducks

Size Matters

Post by qsducks »

RedGlitter;897481 wrote: Bras suck.

They are irksome and uncomfortable at least if you are built well enough to require wearing one. Smaller women are probably luckier in the comfort realm.

The trick with fitting bras: the larger the cup size, the smaller the band size needed. If you go up a cup size then go to the next smaller size band. If you go a smaller cup size get the next bigger band size.

This is info for the women, Quinn....not for you. :wah: ;)

It only took me years to figure that out and now brassiere buying is pretty much a breeze.

Athough....bras still suck.

:)

At least the underwire ones aren't too bad.:wah:
Kindle

Size Matters

Post by Kindle »

I agree with Red and Jab. Sometimes I'm happy with what I buy, but mostly I'm not. I'm told I need to seek help from a professional bra fitter. Just the thought of this puts me off.

Does anyone know how and what they do?

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
YZGI

Size Matters

Post by YZGI »

Kindle;1057643 wrote: I agree with Red and Jab. Sometimes I'm happy with what I buy, but mostly I'm not. I'm told I need to seek help from a professional bra fitter. Just the thought of this puts me off.

Bra fitters?

They feel you up.
Odie

Size Matters

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1057643 wrote: I agree with Red and Jab. Sometimes I'm happy with what I buy, but mostly I'm not. I'm told I need to seek help from a professional bra fitter. Just the thought of this puts me off.

I was fitted by a professional, she just measures you, that's all, with your bra on......but she also tried stuffing me into 4 different ones, she refused to go to a larger size that would fit comfortably!

so that hour was a waste of my time.
Life is just to short for drama.

Return to “Fashion Clothing”