Hunting!!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

With hunting season upon us once again, I find myself wondering WHY? For what reason do all these hunters feel the need?

Yet again I find that I can no longer talk long walks in the countryside with my children and dogs. Yet again my dogs are back to lead walks around our development, instead of being about to run free and swim in the lake.

Yet again there are trucks parked up 'anywhere and everywhere' with hunters wandering around with their guns. Yet again, the news is full of stories about hunters 'accidentally' shooting people.

Why do they feel the need to hunt?

:mad:
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

It's a manly sport, like boxing. Why do men, and some women, feel they need to beat hell out of each other? Because they LIKE it. If you don't like it, don't do it. People who DO like it accept the risks involved. Only a fool would stroll through hunting areas during the season if they were not hunting. Wear orange if you must walk there. Now, I've had my say. Bye.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Pheasy;1042865 wrote: With hunting season upon us once again, I find myself wondering WHY? For what reason do all these hunters feel the need?

Yet again I find that I can no longer talk long walks in the countryside with my children and dogs. Yet again my dogs are back to lead walks around our development, instead of being about to run free and swim in the lake.

Yet again there are trucks parked up 'anywhere and everywhere' with hunters wandering around with there guns. Yet again, the news is full of stories about hunters 'accidentally' shooting people.

Like women feel the need to have babies, men have the need to hunt. It's in the genes and goes way back to the "Hunter Gatherer Times of Man".
Odie

Hunting!!

Post by Odie »

Pheasy;1042865 wrote: With hunting season upon us once again, I find myself wondering WHY? For what reason do all these hunters feel the need?

Yet again there are trucks parked up 'anywhere and everywhere' with hunters wandering around with there guns. Yet again, the news is full of stories about hunters 'accidentally' shooting people.

I to feel the same way, there is NO need to hunt, its considered a sport....some sport!........they have only losers in it!:lips:

-poor defenceless animals!:mad:
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Hunting!!

Post by Nomad »

Theres a movie, I cant recall the name of it. A few hunters tired of easy game decided to hunt men. They picked a guy and brought him out to the woods on a false pretense then told him he had an hr (very generous in my opinion) head start before they started tracking him.

There is also that movie with Cornell Wilde, Naked Prey (?)

Anyway Id like to see more of this.
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Odie;1042926 wrote: I to feel the same way, there is NO need to hunt, its considered a sport....some sport!........they have only losers in it!:lips:

-poor defenceless animals!:mad:

I beg to differ. Here, there IS a need to hunt. We have deer all over the place. Running through town, through stores, into cars and even attacking people on campuses and parks. My daughter works the midnight shift. Two deer ran into her car. One son hit one so far. We have city bow hunts to thin them out. But, every year there is more and more. Any of you bambi huggers want to volunteer to come here and round up a few hundred from our town limits would be welcome. Any takers? I thought not.
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

hoppy;1042955 wrote: I beg to differ. Here, there IS a need to hunt. We have deer all over the place. Running through town, through stores, into cars and even attacking people on campuses and parks. My daughter works the midnight shift. Two deer ran into her car. One son hit one so far. We have city bow hunts to thin them out. But, every year there is more and more. Any of you bambi huggers want to volunteer to come here and round up a few hundred from our town limits would be welcome. Any takers? I thought not.

Oh the need to cull!! :rolleyes:

Culling should be carried out by highly trained game wardens, who don't feel the need to have a gun in one hand and a can of beer in the other (granted not all hunters do this ... but many do .. and one is to many). Highly trained game wardens will more likely to issue a swift accurate shot, not a wound that will leave the animal in pain. Highly trained game wardens would not be 12 year olds either!

The boxing ring doesn't really wash either! In a boxing ring there are two paid individuals who chose to be there, as do the spectators. I will get back to you when I see my next beaten up, blood stained boxer strapped to the back of someones truck as I go up the turnpike!
Oscar Namechange

Hunting!!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1042929 wrote: Theres a movie, I cant recall the name of it. A few hunters tired of easy game decided to hunt men. They picked a guy and brought him out to the woods on a false pretense then told him he had an hr (very generous in my opinion) head start before they started tracking him.

I saw that film too!!!!! I don't know what it was called but it was brilliant.

Great idea. Get all the stupid hunters, give them a half hour start and then let the SAS out to track them. That includes that old pheasent botherer, the Duke of Edinburgh. Now that would be sport!!!! :D:D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Hunting!!

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1043008 wrote: I saw that film too!!!!! I don't know what it was called but it was brilliant.

Great idea. Get all the stupid hunters, give them a half hour start and then let the SAS out to track them. That includes that old pheasent botherer, the Duke of Edinburgh. Now that would be sport!!!! :D:D:D

We could start our own club wink wink

Got anyone in mind ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Pheasy;1043007 wrote: Oh the need to cull!! :rolleyes:

Culling should be carried out by highly trained game wardens, who don't feel the need to have a gun in one hand and a can of beer in the other (granted not all hunters do this ... but many do .. and one is to many). Highly trained game wardens will more likely to issue a swift accurate shot, not a wound that will leave the animal in pain. Highly trained game wardens would not be 12 year olds either!

The boxing ring doesn't really wash either! In a boxing ring there are two paid individuals who chose to be there, as do the spectators. I will get back to you when I see my next beaten up, blood stained boxer strapped to the back of someones truck as I go up the turnpike!

I don't know how they do it where you live. Maybe hunters go around with guns in one hand and a beer in the other there. Maybe they can't shoot worth a rat's butt and wound a lot of animals. Here, we try to cull out those kind of hunters. True, we can't get rid of them all, but we try.

Who would pay for all the many highly trained game wardens it would take to keep game populations in check? Oh yeah, more tax burden on the lowly masses. Sorry, Obama already has plans for all our money. So, come on over, live trap all the deer you want, just get 'em the hell out of here. My town might even pay you a bit.
Oscar Namechange

Hunting!!

Nomad;1043013 wrote: We could start our own club wink wink

Got anyone in mind ?

Wouldn't it be great to get all the Royal Family and all the money men responsible for the economic crisis and use them as bait??

To make it more interesting, we could add polar and grisley bears into hunting them down. Chuck a few lions and man eating tigers in as well.

We could call it 'The pay-back club'. You be president and i'll be VP. :D:D:D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Nomad

Hunting!!

Post by Nomad »

oscar;1043023 wrote: Wouldn't it be great to get all the Royal Family and all the money men responsible for the economic crisis and use them as bait??

To make it more interesting, we could add polar and grisley bears into hunting them down. Chuck a few lions and man eating tigers in as well.

And some of those Kimodo Dragons HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

Hunting!!

Nomad;1043024 wrote: And some of those Kimodo Dragons HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

My nephew is licensed to take all kinds of exotic reptiles here. When the airports sieze them from idiots trying to smuggle them into the country, they have to go some-where and usually it's my nephews house.

I've seen the feeding habits of those things and a fully grown one can tear a joint of beef to pieces. Yeah, let's stick a few thousand of them in as well. Some Bosc Monitors as well, they are equally as fearsome.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---has been with us for ages and will continue as long as there are human beings on this planet. People that do not approve of Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---have been with us also for ages and will be with us into the future. So what's new?
Chezzie

Hunting!!

Post by Chezzie »

Nomad;1042929 wrote: Theres a movie, I cant recall the name of it. A few hunters tired of easy game decided to hunt men. They picked a guy and brought him out to the woods on a false pretense then told him he had an hr (very generous in my opinion) head start before they started tracking him.

Surviving the Game ?
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Lon;1043045 wrote: Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---has been with us for ages and will continue as long as there are human beings on this planet. People that do not approve of Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---have been with us also for ages and will be with us into the future. So what's new?

You are right Lon. Wouldn't it be great if one side just would quit putting critter life above human life and leave other people alone? I don't support the torture of critters, nor waste. My clan ate everything we hunted or killed. I come from a hard drinking bunch but, we drank AFTER the hunt and the guns wrere put away and I always get my hackles up when someone lumps all hunters with the liberal TV viewpoint of hunters and shooters.
Chezzie

Hunting!!

Post by Chezzie »

oscar;1043023 wrote: Wouldn't it be great to get all the Royal Family and all the money men responsible for the economic crisis and use them as bait??

I like the royal family:-4:-4:-4

I dont think they deserve the fate you deal them either:D
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

Lon;1043045 wrote: Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---has been with us for ages and will continue as long as there are human beings on this planet. People that do not approve of Hunting----Killing-----Violent Sports---have been with us also for ages and will be with us into the future. So what's new?

Nothing apparently. Although I would hope, that one our many reasons for being here would be to look beyond the blood lust of others, and attempt to make this world a safer place. Oh well! I guess all the hunting accidents that happen each do serve to cull the human race somewhat :thinking:

Hunting cannot be compared to controlled violent sports such as boxing - although I agree that they barbaric too.
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

hoppy;1043051 wrote: You are right Lon. Wouldn't it be great if one side just would quit putting critter life above human life and leave other people alone? I don't support the torture of critters, nor waste. My clan ate everything we hunted or killed. I come from a hard drinking bunch but, we drank AFTER the hunt and the guns wrere put away and I always get my hackles up when someone lumps all hunters with the liberal TV viewpoint of hunters and shooters.

I hope that not directed at me! To say someone neglects human life just because they care about ALL life is ridiculous! Please kindly point out which part of my posts stated this.

I am concerned about all aspects of allowing hunting to continue.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Pheasy;1043058 wrote: Nothing apparently. Although I would hope, that one our many reasons for being here would be to look beyond the blood lust of others, and attempt to make this world a safer place. Oh well! I guess all the hunting accidents that happen each do serve to cull the human race somewhat :thinking:

Hunting cannot be compared to controlled violent sports such as boxing - although I agree that they barbaric too.

The world is not a safe place to live. There are earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunami's, hurricanes, floods, occasional meteorites, starvation for some. Death as well as life abounds.

Blood Lust??? Vampires maybe, but hunters?? C'mon
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Pheasy;1043060 wrote: I hope that not directed at me! To say someone neglects human life just because they care about ALL life is ridiculous! Please kindly point out which part of my posts stated this.

I am concerned about all aspects of allowing hunting to continue.

I'm guilty of doing what you did. Of lumping ALL critter huggers in with the few who go to extremes. I've seen deer overpopulation cause disease and starvation. And yet, right here in my town we have bambi huggers who love to sit on their porch and watch deer eat their neighbors gardens and shrubs. It don't bother them that Joe sixpack's new car got near demolished last night by a deer running out of a dark ditch in front of him. They don't care that an ariel count showed way more deer that my county can support. At least some areas need to loosen up restrictions and get those populations down.
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

Lon;1043066 wrote: The world is not a safe place to live. There are earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunami's, hurricanes, floods, occasional meteorites, starvation for some. Death as well as life abounds.

Blood Lust??? Vampires maybe, but hunters?? C'mon

:D Okay Lon I'll give you that one, but I am sure I am ahead on points somewhere :p :p
Pheasy

Hunting!!

Post by Pheasy »

hoppy;1043071 wrote: I'm guilty of doing what you did. Of lumping ALL critter huggers in with the few who go to extremes. I've seen deer overpopulation cause disease and starvation. And yet, right here in my town we have bambi huggers who love to sit on their porch and watch deer eat their neighbors gardens and shrubs. It don't bother them that Joe sixpack's new car got near demolished last night by a deer running out of a dark ditch in front of him. They don't care that an ariel count showed way more deer that my county can support. At least some areas need to loosen up restrictions and get those populations down.

My point is safety, and looking for alternatives that are humane and acceptable.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Pheasy;1043079 wrote: :D Okay Lon I'll give you that one, but I am sure I am ahead on points somewhere :p :p

You get many many points on the EMPATHY & COMPASSION SCOREBOARD.
Odie

Hunting!!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1042955 wrote: I beg to differ. Here, there IS a need to hunt. We have deer all over the place. Running through town, through stores, into cars and even attacking people on campuses and parks. My daughter works the midnight shift. Two deer ran into her car. One son hit one so far. We have city bow hunts to thin them out. But, every year there is more and more. Any of you bambi huggers want to volunteer to come here and round up a few hundred from our town limits would be welcome. Any takers? I thought not.

simple, re-locate them.
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Where? To another place that has too many? Maybe your neighborhood? Why not shoot as many as we need rid of and donate the meat to food pantries? That's already being done here.
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Besides, handing off our problem to someone else just don't wash.
southern yankee

Hunting!!

Post by southern yankee »

where i live. during hunting season. i don't see hardly any wildlife. i guess they are hiding. I don't blame them. But at dawn:-5 i hate it the most. Saturday morning. :mad::mad:
southern yankee

Hunting!!

Hoss;1043334 wrote: I hunt because I want to. And I love to. I just got back from a hunt for Quail and I have plans to go out again.

I like the skill it takes to stalk an animal, and bring it down, dress it and prepare it for a meal.

Is there something that you love to do? Why do you love it? yes but there is no blood shed involved;)
Odie

Hunting!!

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1043148 wrote: Where? To another place that has too many? Maybe your neighborhood? Why not shoot as many as we need rid of and donate the meat to food pantries? That's already being done here.

then give the meat to the needy.;)
southern yankee

Hunting!!

Hoss;1043338 wrote: LOL, blood is good. :wah: now Hoss i always conciderd you a nice guy:confused:
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I think, with this issue, most of us will have to agree to disagree.

I understand the need to cull animals and eat meat. I eat a little meat:thinking:

But I will never, ever understand the joy of stalking and killing an animal.

Also, It's not like you're in Africa planning out strategies for the hunt. You're usually in a small, forested area....right??;)
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Kathy Ellen;1043368 wrote: I think, with this issue, most of us will have to agree to disagree.

I understand the need to cull animals and eat meat. I eat a little meat:thinking:

But I will never, ever understand the joy of stalking and killing an animal.

Also, It's not like you're in Africa planning out strategies for the hunt. You're usually in a small, forested area....right??;)

Ever been in the mountains of the West?
hoppy

Hunting!!

Post by hoppy »

Older people here might remember the rationing of WW2. Had some of these younger folks been around then, they might see critters in a different way. We came out better than the townies. I remember eating a lot of chicken, rabbit and venison until gramps ran out of cartridges. No more venison after that. We still had a milk cow and few pigs. Gas was rationed. Field work was a hassle they say.

When your without awhile, you learn appreciation.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

I loved shooting rats at the dumps with a 22 rifle when I was a teenager. That's not hunting, just good fun. I killed 62 rats one afternoon.
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hoss;1043383 wrote: I was just going to tell Kathy Ellen that very same thing.

Here Kathy Ellen, I hunt here:

That's me in the picture, I was hunting mountain quail.

Beautiful picture Hoss:-6, and thank you for not showing a pic of a deer thrown over your shoulder:wah::wah:
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hoss;1043413 wrote: LOL, that was before deer season, I'd have been in big trouble! :wah:

Seriously Hoss...can you explain to me why you love hunting so much. I just don't get it, and maybe I'll understand if you seriously tell me the joy of the hunt....

Does it bother you to look an innocent animal in the eye and shot it? I will appreciate your answer, but please don't quote others and say.... it's what men do from the beginning of time...

I honestly would like to know why you hunt.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Hoss;1043395 wrote: I bet that was good for the dump workers!

The dumps were huge and I never did see more than one or two workers.
Lon

Hunting!!

Post by Lon »

Hoss;1043383 wrote: I was just going to tell Kathy Ellen that very same thing.

Here Kathy Ellen, I hunt here:

That's me in the picture, I was hunting mountain quail.

Hoss----------you look like a pretty big guy---------6' 2" 200 lbs.?
Hope6

Hunting!!

Post by Hope6 »

no offense to anyone on here who likes to hunt, but i hate hunting season with a passion!

living out in the middle of the woods like we do, theres shooting all around you, trucks roaring up and down the road, i'm scared to walk out into my own front yard!

i've had one dog run over and killed right in front of our house, by a hunter!

and another one we found laying in the yard during hunting season with a bullitt in him! :mad:
Kathy Ellen

Hunting!!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

sorry folks....just an aside to Lon.....

Remember the movie "Open Waters" that we disagreed about:D Well, they made a sequel to it that was sooooo bad and funny. I wished that I could have sent a copy to you:sneaky::rolleyes:

You would have appreciated a good laugh:p
K.Snyder

Hunting!!

Post by K.Snyder »

Hope6;1043422 wrote: no offense to anyone on here who likes to hunt, but i hate hunting season with a passion!

living out in the middle of the woods like we do, theres shooting all around you, trucks roaring up and down the road, i'm scared to walk out into my own front yard!

i've had one dog run over and killed right in front of our house, by a hunter!

and another one we found laying in the yard during hunting season with a bullitt in him! :mad:

That's because most hunters shoot at anything that moves...

Return to “General Chit Chat”