I love george carlin

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Galbally

I love george carlin

Post by Galbally »

Brilliant, I have never seen that guy before, very very funny, and very philosophical as well! :wah:
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
cherandbuster

I love george carlin

Post by cherandbuster »

Hey FuzzyB :)

I just watched George Carlin's latest stan-up special on HBO yesterday

He's just as great at 71 as he always was :guitarist
Live Life with

PASSION
!:guitarist

mikeinie

I love george carlin

Post by mikeinie »

His humour is very dark but he is very good. He touches on a side or realism that people wouldn't want to admit to.

I remember when in the 70’s when he had a skit called the 7 dirty words you can’t say on television. Funny thing is, no all 7 are heard on TV on a regular basis.
cherandbuster

I love george carlin

Post by cherandbuster »

mikeinie;811198 wrote: Funny thing is, no all 7 are heard on TV on a regular basis.

EVEN THE "C" WORD???!! :eek::eek:
Live Life with

PASSION

Peg

I love george carlin

Post by Peg »

I love George Carlin; especially his older stuff like the seven minute warning. He says wouldn't it be great to have a warning 7 minutes before you die and start in this big, long confession, but before you get to the actual confession, you die. :wah: I also like the old one about the dog licking itself in front of guests. :wah:
Marie5656

I love george carlin

Post by Marie5656 »

I got to see him live back in the 70's. Saw his most recent HBO special. I will have to admit I much prefer his older stuff. Alot of the stuff in the current special was funny, but a couple of times he just reminded me of my father when he was on a rant. But I still like him.

Have read a few of his books, and they are good, too, if you get a chance to read them.
CARLA

I love george carlin

Post by CARLA »

My man "George Carlin" one of the best ever. Dr. G he has been around since the 70's I can't believe you never heard of "George Carlin" nothing is out of bound for him and he usually nails it. :wah::wah:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

cherandbuster

I love george carlin

Post by cherandbuster »

rjwould;811426 wrote: Comedy is a pretty difficult business I guess.

Hi There RJ :)

It is a tough business. Just the fact that he's on stage STILL doing it is an accomplishment in itself. :guitarist

But I agree with some of the posters -- even though the special was certainly good, it was not his best stuff.
Live Life with

PASSION

Galbally

I love george carlin

Post by Galbally »

CARLA;811420 wrote: My man "George Carlin" one of the best ever. Dr. G he has been around since the 70's I can't believe you never heard of "George Carlin" nothing is out of bound for him and he usually nails it. :wah::wah:

Yeah, he obviously hasn't been as big over here, as he is over there, he is a good comic, good commentary on things as well. Funny. :D
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.
Lon

I love george carlin

Post by Lon »

Galbally;814024 wrote: Yeah, he obviously hasn't been as big over here, as he is over there, he is a good comic, good commentary on things as well. Funny. :D

I have been a big fan of Carlin since the 60's when he did his "Hippy Dippy Weatherman" on American TV. He has become better with age.

mikeinie

I love george carlin

Post by mikeinie »

cherandbuster;811257 wrote: EVEN THE "C" WORD???!! :eek::eek:

Sure.. have you ever seen Nip Tuck?
watcher

I love george carlin

Post by watcher »

I always wondered why he was featured in so many comedy films I didn't know he was a comedian I only found out recently after discovering he was dead. So RIP George.
I'm too compassionate to be an utter bastard.

Too self respecting to be a caring idiot.

Too much pride to give up the self respect.

And not willing to take the rap for a lack of compassion.

Where does this leave me? Nowhere. What does this leave me? Nothing. Who does this leave me? Noone.
Odie

I love george carlin

Post by Odie »

he has always been tops for me!
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

I love george carlin

Post by Odie »

cherandbuster;811257 wrote: EVEN THE "C" WORD???!! :eek::eek:

he uses every word you can possibly imagine and them some!:wah:

but for him, it works!

Odie

I love george carlin

Post by Odie »

QUOTE=cherandbuster]

It is a tough business. Just the fact that he's on stage STILL doing it is an accomplishment in itself. :guitarist

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cherandbuster, not sure if you knew:

George Carlin, Comic Who Chafed at Society and Its Constraints, Dies at 71

Published: June 24, 2008

George Carlin, whose astringent stand-up comedy made him an heir of Lenny Bruce, who gave voice to an indignant counterculture and assaulted the barricades of censorship on behalf of a generation of comics that followed him, died on Sunday in Santa Monica, Calif. He was 71 and lived in Venice, Calif.

George Carlin served as host of the "Saturday Night Live" debut in 1975. More Photos »

Multimedia

George Carlin, 1937-2008Photographs

George Carlin, 1937-2008

Related

An Appraisal: A Master of Words, Including Some You Can’t Use in a Headline (June 24, 2008)

George Carlin Didn’t Shun School That Ejected Him (June 24, 2008)

TV Decoder: George Carlin’s Televised Stage (June 23, 2008)

Times Topics: George Carlin

Interview: Refusing to Coast on 7 Infamous Words (Nov. 4, 2005)

Blogrunner: Reactions From Around the Web

Enlarge This Image

Vincent Laforet/The New York Times

George Carlin at the Rihga Royal Hotel in Manhattan in 2004. More Photos >

The cause was heart failure, said his publicist, Jeff Abraham. Mr. Carlin, who performed earlier this month at the Orleans hotel in Las Vegas, had a history of heart problems.

“By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth,” read a message on Mr. Carlin’s Web site, GeorgeCarlin.com, and he spent much of his life in a fervent effort to counteract the forces that would have it so. In his always irreverent, often furious social commentary, in his observations of the absurdities of everyday life and language, and in groundbreaking routines like the profane “Seven Words You Can Never Say on Television,” he took aim at what he thought of as the palliating and obfuscating agents of American life — politicians, advertisements, religion, the media and conventional thinking of all stripes.

“If crime fighters fight crime and firefighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight?” he asked in a 1980s routine, taking a jab at the Reagan administration’s defense of the Nicaraguan Contras.

During a career that spanned five decades, Mr. Carlin emerged as one of the most popular, durable, productive and versatile comedians of his era. He evolved from Jerry Seinfeld-like whimsy and a buttoned-down decorum in the ’60s to counterculture hero in the ’70s.

By the ’80s, he was known as a scathing social critic, wringing laughs from the verbal tics of contemporary language like the oxymoron “jumbo shrimp” (and finding another oxymoron in the term “military intelligence”) and poking fun at pervasive national attitudes. He used the ascent of football’s popularity at the expense of the game he loved, baseball, to make the point that societal innocence had been lost forever.

“Baseball is a 19th-century pastoral game,” he said. “Football is a 20th-century technological struggle. Baseball is played on a diamond, in a park. The baseball park! Football is played on a gridiron, in a stadium sometimes called Soldier Field or War Memorial Stadium.”

Through the 1990s and into the 21st century, Mr. Carlin, balding but still pony-tailed, prowled the stage — eyes ablaze with intensity — as the comedy circuit’s most splenetic curmudgeon, raging over the shallowness of a “me first” culture; mocking the infatuation with camcorders, hyphenated names and sneakers with lights on them; lambasting white guys over 10 years old who wear their baseball hats backwards, baby boomers “who went from ‘do your thing’ to ‘just say no’ ” and “from cocaine to Rogaine”; and foes of abortion rights. “How come when it’s us it’s an abortion,” he asked, “and when it’s a chicken it’s an omelet?”

George Denis Carlin was born in New York City on May 12, 1937. His mother, Mary, a secretary, separated from his father when he was an infant, and he grew up with his mother and his older brother, Patrick, on West 121st Street in Manhattan.

“I grew up in New York wanting to be like those funny men in the movies and on the radio,” Mr. Carlin said. “My grandfather, mother and father were gifted verbally, and my mother passed that along to me. She always made sure I was conscious of language and words.”

He dropped out of high school and joined the Air Force, and while stationed in Shreveport, La., he worked as a radio disc jockey. Discharged in 1957, he moved to Boston for a radio announcer’s job, then to Fort Worth, where he was a D.J.

Along the way he met Jack Burns, a newscaster and comedian. They worked together in Fort Worth and Los Angeles, performing on the radio and in clubs and even appearing on “The Tonight Show” with Jack Paar. The comedian Mort Sahl, whose penchant for social commentary Mr. Carlin came to share, dubbed them “a duo of hip wits.”

Still, the Carlin-Burns team was only moderately successful, and, in 1960, Mr. Carlin struck out on his own.

He made his first television solo guest appearance on “The Tonight Show” in 1962, in the interim between Paar’s departure and Johnny Carson’s arrival; the host that night was Mr. Sahl. His second wasn’t until 1965, when he made the first of 29 appearances on “The Merv Griffin Show.”

At that time, he was primarily known for his clever wordplay and reminiscences of his Irish working-class upbringing in New York. But there were intimations of an anti-establishment edge. It surfaced, for example, in a parody of television newscasts, for which he invented characters like Al Sleet, “the “hippy-dippy weatherman”: “Tonight’s forecast: Dark. Continued mostly dark tonight turning to widely scattered light in the morning.”

Mr. Carlin released his first comedy album, “Take-Offs and Put-Ons,” to rave reviews in 1967. He also dabbled in acting, winning a recurring part as Marlo Thomas’s theatrical agent in the 1960s sitcom “That Girl” and a supporting role in the 1968 movie “With Six You Get Eggroll.” He made more than 80 major television appearances during that time, including on the Ed Sullivan Show and Johnny Carson’s “Tonight Show”; he was also regularly featured at nightclubs in New York and Las Vegas.

He was one of America’s most popular comedians, but as the convulsive decade of 1960s ended, he’d had enough of what he considered a dinky and hollow success.

“I was entertaining the fathers and the mothers of the people I sympathized with, and in some cases associated with, and whose point of view I shared,” he recalled later, as quoted in the book “Going Too Far” by Tony Hendra (Doubleday, 1987). “I was a traitor, in so many words. I was living a lie.”

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:

Correction: June 25, 2008

Because of an editing error, an obituary on Tuesday about the comedian George Carlin misstated the location of the Playboy Club where he angered an audience by joking about the Vietnam War. It was Lake Geneva, Wis. (There is no town named Lake Geneva in New York.)

Return to “Comedy”