You're fired!... or are you?!?!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Milly

Post by Milly »

If somebody who worked for you and was also a close friend, did something that required you to discipline them, possibly suspend them could you do it?
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

No question.

We would have already had the discussion prior to the incident that Im going to do my job.
I AM AWESOME MAN
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

Milly;1142263 wrote: If somebody who worked for you and was also a close friend, did something that required you to discipline them, possibly suspend them could you do it?
I wouldn't want to but I'd have to.
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Milly

Post by Milly »

Undoubtedly though discipling someone you care for is going to be hard and possibly effect your relationship with that person though don't you think?...

How do you think you'd handle that?

I don't think I could employ someone I cared for in the first place, because I know I wouldn't want to risk the relationship....

Milly

Post by Milly »

Jester;1142380 wrote: I had to do it all the time in the military. It's a different environment though its expected and acknowledged, but I think Nomads got it, its how its done and the fact that it has to be done to maintain order.

Ive been on both ends of it, and felt it done with malice and then by a guys that knew thier stuff and how to handle people, the delivery is everything.

Despite that, sometimes the person isnt ready to reciieve the discipline in any form, they wont be receptive to it, and in that case you just tell it like it is and expect you'll be repeating the performance until its learned or they are fired or quit, at that point, its not a matter of friendship its just life, it happens. It is amazing to me to be in a tight knit military community where you cross paths with people years down the road and find they matured beyond thier problems, it's pretty cool to have a conversation where they naturally admit they were wrong back 'when' and are ready to move on.

I think you bring up a good point there Jester - All's fine if the person knows they did wrong, but if they think they were right... it's a whole other ball game.

Return to “General Chit Chat”