Pick Just Five

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

Lon;1143348 wrote: I'm impressed with your choices.

LOL, Lon, you didn't say we could have any grains, cereals, lentils, nuts, seeds etc. Many have chosen rice but it wasn't one of the items you specified.:) someone mentioned peanut butter and someone else said yogurt but you didn't give us a choice of dairy products either.
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

AussiePam;1143488 wrote: Five years on a desert island, is it now?

OK -

A big hunky male islander sort of mid twenties who has lots of local knowledge and survival skills and knows how to treat a lady (he'll know how to get fish, game, vegies, fruits and make a fire sorta thang)

A good red wine

Coffee

Rice

Ricotta cheese

:yh_rotfl...I want one of those too....a former navy seal for me please :D:D:)
Accountable

Pick Just Five

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;1143086 wrote: # of combinations you can get out of 5 ingredients.

5 = 5x4x3x2x1 = 120

In other words you would have to have the same meal at least every 3.0416666 days on average.
HA! I go to Taco Bell & see 157 different menu items. All they have is lettuce, hamburger and taco shells. :wah:
Lon

Pick Just Five

Post by Lon »

Amber Sun;1143485 wrote: select one or more veggies, cheeses, chicken, pork, beef or fish, any combination of fruits.

No he didn't hun. He said "one or more veggies' .......'any combination of fruits'

both of these statements implies more than one or two or three etc.:)

One or more veggies means -----carrots (that's one choice), spinach (that's two choices)------put them together and that's mixing.:-5
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

Lon;1143534 wrote: One or more veggies means -----carrots (that's one choice), spinach (that's two choices)------put them together and that's mixing.:-5

Yes it is. If I take your carrots and spinach and put them together then they are mixed. :D

Just having fun Lon

You didn't mention why you didn't add the grains, cereals etc.:)

Why not start over again and just ask us what 10 foods we would want if we were to stranded on an Island for a year.
Lon

Pick Just Five

Post by Lon »

Amber Sun;1143496 wrote: LOL, Lon, you didn't say we could have any grains, cereals, lentils, nuts, seeds etc. Many have chosen rice but it wasn't one of the items you specified.:) someone mentioned peanut butter and someone else said yogurt but you didn't give us a choice of dairy products either.

C'mon now------rice would be one choice, peanut butter another, pumpkin seeds another choice------------------get it?

5 picks of any one food item:-5
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

Lon;1143596 wrote: C'mon now------rice would be one choice, peanut butter another, pumpkin seeds another choice------------------get it?

5 picks of any one food item:-5

True hun, but you didn't give us a choice of these remember, you didn't mention seeds, cereals, grains etc.

You are going to try and survive for one year eating only 5 things (no combinations like pizza or stew) You can select one or more veggies, cheeses, chicken, pork, beef or fish, any combination of fruits. Water will be your only beverage.

GO FOR IT-------------PICK YOUR 5

Please give us another chance at foods for survival.:-6
spot

Pick Just Five

Post by spot »

Amber Sun;1143597 wrote: Please give us another chance at foods for survival.:-6I'm not sure Lon's intention was for you to enjoy yourself, it was to see if you could live long enough to be rescued.

I think the test ought to be one ingredient, not five or ten.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AussiePam

Pick Just Five

Post by AussiePam »

Peanut butter

or

brown rice

or

multigrain bread
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

spot

Pick Just Five

Post by spot »

AussiePam;1143618 wrote: Peanut butterPeanut butter's a good call, you can use it as sunblock too.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
nok

Pick Just Five

Post by nok »

Mineral Water and White Rice or Nuts
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
scholle-kid

Pick Just Five

Post by scholle-kid »

Prime rib

garlic

potatoes

brocolli

coffee beans
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
sunny104

Pick Just Five

Post by sunny104 »

BBQ ribs

bread

potatoes

hot peppers

pretzels

:p :D
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Pick Just Five

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Amber Sun;1143492 wrote: LOL, Bryn, he didn't say we could have any grains, cereals, lentils, nuts, etc. He completely overlooked the complex carbohydrates needed by our bodies. So you can't have rice.

Then substitute potatoes - I'd read it as any five foods.

Very surprised the rules say you must specify which vedge but you're allowed a generic "fish". One of the reasons I included it :-)
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

spot;1143614 wrote: I'm not sure Lon's intention was for you to enjoy yourself, it was to see if you could live long enough to be rescued.

I think the test ought to be one ingredient, not five or ten.

When doing a quiz or test I tend to follow instructions not just assume that I know what it means or what the instructor is implying Spot. He also didn't say anything about being 'rescued' the idea of survival came up by someone else in the thread.

Yes, a person could live for a year just picking 5 of the food items that were mentioned, if he/she also had a bottle of vitamins and minerals because malnutrition would set in before half the year was out.

Spot, if you think that only one choice should be given then please give me a few examples out of the list that was mentioned that contains the full range of complex carbohydrates, protein, a full range of vitamins required by the body to function properly and a full range of minerals. We will let the amino acids slide for now. Remember Spot only one choice. :)
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

Bryn Mawr;1143839 wrote: Then substitute potatoes - I'd read it as any five foods.

Very surprised the rules say you must specify which vedge but you're allowed a generic "fish". One of the reasons I included it :-)

LOL, Bryn, I read exactly what was there and the way it was written which gives us a combination of fruits and veggies and yes any kind of fish available. Your choice of potatoes is good, they have the complex carbohydrates but a lot of starch which would put on the weight. I'd probably go for squash or pumpkin myself because they contain the needed vitamin A plus a range of vitamins and minerals. Not all that is needed mind you but what is there would provide less of a chance of malnutrition.

I think Lon is upset with me at this point so I won't venture any further into this thread. :-1 But you could start one Bryn, something fun like survival foods and living for one year on a deserted island. Put lots of different trees and sand on it. Create a scenario and see what ideas we could get off of each other. LOL, that would be a fun thread I think. Let's see how much everyone knows about actual survival.
spot

Pick Just Five

Post by spot »

Amber Sun;1143857 wrote: Spot, if you think that only one choice should be given then please give me a few examples out of the list that was mentioned that contains the full range of complex carbohydrates, protein, a full range of vitamins required by the body to function properly and a full range of minerals. We will let the amino acids slide for now. Remember Spot only one choice. :)Milk.

Unlike you I took Lon's "no combinations like pizza or stew" as his restriction and his list as a non-restrictive set exemplifying "things".

When doing a quiz or test I tend to follow instructions not just assume that I know what it means.
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

spot;1143886 wrote: Milk.

Unlike you I took Lon's "no combinations like pizza or stew" as his restriction and his list as a non-restrictive set exemplifying "things".

When doing a quiz or test I tend to follow instructions not just assume that I know what it means.

Very good spot, but do you really think a person could live for a whole year on nothing but milk? This is interesting. How about a few more examples.
Nomad

Pick Just Five

Post by Nomad »

Amber Sun;1143485 wrote: select one or more veggies, cheeses, chicken, pork, beef or fish, any combination of fruits.

No he didn't hun. He said "one or more veggies' .......'any combination of fruits'

both of these statements implies more than one or two or three etc.:)

But you still only get 5 like the rest of us.

If you pick mixed fruit just exactly how many fruit are in there ?

You cant have 12 fruits an 12 veggies and then still get to choose 3 other items.

Whats next, mixed pork and chicken that only counts as one ?

Thats a big hell to the no young lady !

You are flagrantly abusing the 5 rule and Im going to talk to Lon about rejecting your contribution as fraud and then Im going right to Tombstone to pursue forum litigation.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Pick Just Five

Post by spot »

Amber Sun;1143917 wrote: Very good spot, but do you really think a person could live for a whole year on nothing but milk? This is interesting. How about a few more examples.

Yes. I don't think there are any other unprocessed foods that would manage the trick though.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Pick Just Five

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1143937 wrote: Yes. I don't think there are any other unprocessed foods that would manage the trick though.

Have to be human milk though - as I recall, cow's milk is low in some essential nutrients and contains excess ¿fat?
spot

Pick Just Five

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1144009 wrote: Have to be human milk though - as I recall, cow's milk is low in some essential nutrients and contains excess ¿fat?

That somehow merely adds to the appeal of the desert island, surely. And you preferred broccoli??
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

Nomad;1143933 wrote: But you still only get 5 like the rest of us.

If you pick mixed fruit just exactly how many fruit are in there ?

You cant have 12 fruits an 12 veggies and then still get to choose 3 other items.

Whats next, mixed pork and chicken that only counts as one ?

Thats a big hell to the no young lady !

You are flagrantly abusing the 5 rule and Im going to talk to Lon about rejecting your contribution as fraud and then Im going right to Tombstone to pursue forum litigation.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl.....:-6.....you're gorgeous hun :-6
Amber Sun

Pick Just Five

Post by Amber Sun »

spot;1144019 wrote: That somehow merely adds to the appeal of the desert island, surely. And you preferred broccoli??

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl..sometimes you can be a riot Spot...:-6
Lon

Pick Just Five

Post by Lon »

sunny104;1143823 wrote: BBQ ribs

bread

potatoes

hot peppers

pretzels

:p :D

I'm not sure that you would make it through one year.:-3
Lon

Pick Just Five

Post by Lon »

[QUOTE=Amber Sun;1143873]

I think Lon is upset with me at this point so I won't venture any further into this thread.

I never get upset Amber-------------venture forth!!!:driving:
sunny104

Pick Just Five

Post by sunny104 »

Lon;1144263 wrote: I'm not sure that you would make it through one year.:-3

it's healthier than it seems. :p Potatoes and peppers have lots of vitamins and health benefits. :-6
Nomad

Pick Just Five

Post by Nomad »

sunny104;1144735 wrote: it's healthier than it seems. :p Potatoes and peppers have lots of vitamins and health benefits. :-6

Dont forget those cute little goldfish crackers. Bread group.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Chit Chat”