Living on FOOD STAMPS

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

CNN news reporter, Sean Calleb, is planning on living solely on food stamps during the month of February. He lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, and will blog daily on his experience.

Currently the maximum amount of money you can received as a single person in the US is $176/month. (the proposed stimulus plan would increase this amount by 13%)

Buying groceries for one month for this amount of money, I think, will be no small task and I am interested in seeing what he buys, eats and how he fares phyically. Sean is 6'3" tall and weighs 220 pounds. His B/P is currently at 128 over 82.

On this amount of money he will not be buying name brands and meat, fish and fresh fruits and vegetables will not be abundant.

Anyone living on their own or running a home knows that if you need to save money, the easiest place to save money is on groceries. Depending on your choices, by using coupons, buying the specials, mooching meals with family and making wise selections on everything, you can curtail your grocery expenses. To do this takes careful planning and a willingness to cook from scratch, rather than buying convenience foods.

On paper and in theory, it is easy for the government to say you can live on $176 a month. In practice, how do you actually make it work?

Here in the US people can also receive free food from churches and food banks, but these are over run with requests at the end of every money and sometimes run very low or completely out.

During the Depression a generation of people learned to be very creative in managing what they had. Perhaps what they found to be sucessful would work today? What do you think?

What help do people in other countries receive?

You can follow Sean's daily experience of living on less by logging in at Show Pages - American Morning - CNN.com

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
qsducks

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by qsducks »

I have to shop at 3 different stores for the bargains, cook from scratch and am not on welfare. I steer clear of frozen meals, buy lots of fresh fruit, veggies (also frozen veggies too), canned goods such as broths, tomatoe products, etc. What galls me is when I see peeps at the store using their food stamps and buying every junk food available and yes who wouldn't it gall. They eat crap.:mad:
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

I have to say that I admire the news reporter. Actually I think that gov't officials should be made to live like the lower income people for a year before they are able to run for positions. And they shouldn't be able to live off of family, friends etc., because many people living below the poverty level don't have family and friends much better off than they are, or may have no family at all.

The problem with food stamps as I understand it is that many markets etc., won't accept them. Along with this something that I have noticed is that prices rise for meats and general goods just before the middle and end of each month when cheques and food vouchers are sent out. This effects even the working people as they usually get paid in the middle of the month and the end also. So when food vouchers (stamps) are given out at the end of each month the prices on everything have gone up. I live in Manitoba now but my daughter had pointed this out to me when we lived in Vancouver many years ago. So this appears to be the trend in Canada. I don't know if it is the same in the USA and elsewhere. something else that I have noticed just recently is that the portions or weight has dropped in a box of ?????? yet the price has risen or remained the same.

It's a shame that the reporter is only going to be doing this for one month. That isn't enough time to realize exactly what is happening out there. It will also depend on what time of the month he is given those food stamps.

When a person receives a decent paycheck they pay what the asking price is and don't question anything. When a person scrimps a little as I do I very simply don't pay what the store is asking and go else where or change my planned menu. Thankfully I make everything from scratch, even my own bread, so I pay more attention to nutrition and buy when sales are on.
Nomad

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Nomad »

If youre hungry youve got to be grateful for that $176.00

Some sell their food stamps for .50 on the dollar for cash so they can purchase alcohol and tobacco.
I AM AWESOME MAN
along-for-the-ride

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I agree with AmberSun. Living off food stamps for one month is not the same as living off food stamps every month. But..........atleast we can give him credit for trying.

You're also right, Nomad. Any money for food is appreciated. It does take planning and consideration to make it feed a family for a whole month.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Sunshine

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Sunshine »

I have nothing against anyone needing to use the system to feed and house their familys. What irriates me are those who use the system in the way it was never designed to do. I often come across those who use the link card and drive expensive cars and dress to the nines, jewelery and all. I work my hinny off everyday for less than they get a week and still have trouble wondering which bill is the most important to pay in order to continue to live. Where are they getting all their spending money? Not legally is my guess. For those types, I am sick and tired of paying their way. :-5
fuzzywuzzy

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Just another form of currency to be exploited.:thinking:
scholle-kid

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by scholle-kid »

I was on food stamps for a while when my kids younger ( they are all grown now so I'm talking about 17 years ago ). And if a person stays away from the microwavable foods , junk foods like chips and cookies and cooks from scratch it can be done. I have always liked to bake and cooking has always been one of my favorite things so we ate darn good one the just under $300.00 a month we received a month.
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

Sunshine;1125676 wrote: I have nothing against anyone needing to use the system to feed and house their familys. What irriates me are those who use the system in the way it was never designed to do. I often come across those who use the link card and drive expensive cars and dress to the nines, jewelery and all. I work my hinny off everyday for less than they get a week and still have trouble wondering which bill is the most important to pay in order to continue to live. Where are they getting all their spending money? Not legally is my guess. For those types, I am sick and tired of paying their way. :-5

Hi Sunshine. I am assuming that by 'link' card you are referring to a 'welfare' card? Well I'm going to guess that they are the same thing until you say different.

The reason is that many collect even while engaged in some form of criminal activity because they need to be able to declare some source of income. For others the situation is different. I have known people to declare bankruptcy but a few months before hand signed or 'sold' some major articles to a family member. In this way they get to keep the article. There is also the case of the family of a destitute person (most often a woman with children) being provided with a vehicle in which to drive the children to school, the doctors etc. The car remains in the name of the family member so legally the car is considered a loan.

Then of course there are just those that are lazy and greedy at the same time and scam everyone throughout their life times.
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

JAB;1125685 wrote: It's because the markets don't want to be bothered with redeeming them for cash from the gov't.

True Jab, but these are generally the places that have the affordable produce and merchandise.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

In reading Sean's blog over the last several days, I find his repetitive selection of the same foods for breakfast (banana, cereal and tea) and lunch (peanutbutter sandwich and ice tea) to be rather meager and unsatisfing.

His withdrawal from diet coke hit home to me. That is a rough deal.

What do you think about his menu?

Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

Kindle;1126513 wrote: In reading Sean's blog over the last several days, I find his repetitive selection of the same foods for breakfast (banana, cereal and tes) and lunch (peanutbutter sandwich and ice tea) to be rather meager and unsatisfing.

His withdrawal from diet coke hit home to me. That is a rough deal.

What do you think about his menu?

Well to begin with Kindle, I don't know what 'tes' is, but for the rest of his diet if he continues like this for the next week or two he will find himself sliding downhill very rapidly towards severe malnourishment.

Ironically enough, it is the cheapest foods that are most nourishing and the cheapest to buy. I don't know about where you are living but here a bag of brown rice is .75 cheaper than white. It also produces 3 cups to one where white rice gives 2 to one. White rice is stripped of the bran and outer husk, both of these are utilized by the body. Brown rice is a nourishing source of complex carbohydrates that the body needs. Whole grain steel cuts rolled oats takes a few minutes longer to cook than quick oats but are much healthier for a person and it also produces more per cup than quick oats. These are just two examples of eating properly.

For the price that he paid for one jar of peanut butter I would have spent 1 extra dollar and bought both the brown rice and rolled oats. Assuming the man has a stove to cook on, some soup bones ( 2.00 worth) thrown into a pot of water along with a cup of brown rice and a few carrots (1.50) and an onion (.25) would make a nourishing pot of soup that would last a few meals. Bread is expensive to buy and is lacking in any kind of nourishment (contrary to what commercial bakeries would have us believe). I am not talking about the little corner bakery but the large ones that supply supermarkets. (Actually their bread is good for cleaning wallpaper on the walls). I would have bought a small 5 lb bag of flour, yeast that is cheaper to buy than baking powder and a doz eggs. To this mix of 3 cups of this flour I would have added a bit of lard lard that is cheaper to buy than margarine or oil, and a bit of sugar (to feed the yeast) that is cheaper than honey, and I would have had about 2 loaves of bread to eat with the soup. Or he could add a bit of cinnamon to some of the mix and had buns to eat with his tea in the morning.

I won't go on with this but I think you understand what it is I'm saying here. for the most part it is lack of knowledge and planning. Yes, he may run short of funds and food before the next issue if he were to be getting one, but there are always free meals at churches etc.
weeder

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by weeder »

Trying to live on 176.00 a month for food, would force me to finally eat the kind of diet that would make me lose weight. Money wise, I could do it.

It would be rice, vegetables, lots of water, applesauce, oatmeal, and and, I cant think of anything else. The problem would be the cravings. Bread, chicken, cheese, and the occassional piece of garbage. Cookies etc...

Oh yes... No coffee. That would be hard.

I recently saw a young couple interviewed on TV. They ate on 1.00 a day, as an experiment, and wrote a book about it. Lots of peanut butter, and jelly.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Oscar Namechange

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Kindle;1124991 wrote: CNN news reporter, Sean Calleb, is planning on living solely on food stamps during the month of February. He lives in New Orleans, Louisiana, and will blog daily on his experience.

Currently the maximum amount of money you can received as a single person in the US is $176/month. (the proposed stimulus plan would increase this amount by 13%)

Buying groceries for one month for this amount of money, I think, will be no small task and I am interested in seeing what he buys, eats and how he fares phyically. Sean is 6'3" tall and weighs 220 pounds. His B/P is currently at 128 over 82.

On this amount of money he will not be buying name brands and meat, fish and fresh fruits and vegetables will not be abundant.

Anyone living on their own or running a home knows that if you need to save money, the easiest place to save money is on groceries. Depending on your choices, by using coupons, buying the specials, mooching meals with family and making wise selections on everything, you can curtail your grocery expenses. To do this takes careful planning and a willingness to cook from scratch, rather than buying convenience foods.

On paper and in theory, it is easy for the government to say you can live on $176 a month. In practice, how do you actually make it work?

Here in the US people can also receive free food from churches and food banks, but these are over run with requests at the end of every money and sometimes run very low or completely out.

During the Depression a generation of people learned to be very creative in managing what they had. Perhaps what they found to be sucessful would work today? What do you think?

What help do people in other countries receive?

You can follow Sean's daily experience of living on less by logging in at Show Pages - American Morning - CNN.com

I'd appreciate it very much if you could give me some further imfo as to how your system works with food stamps. The opposition has said that if they win the election, their government will introduce them here. Thanks.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
scholle-kid

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by scholle-kid »

oscar;1126653 wrote: I'd appreciate it very much if you could give me some further info as to how your system works with food stamps. The opposition has said that if they win the election, their government will introduce them here. Thanks.

A person starts out with a 'packet' of about 6 or 7 pages of instructions , rules and regulations. Then there is a 4 or 5 pages application that will ask you about every personal bit of information starting with all the jobs you have had for the last 10 years or so then move onto any and all bank accounts and the amounts in them . Any addresses you have lived at for the last 3 residents. then will ask if you have or will or expect to receive any 'gifts' of cash ' from any family members or if any one has paid any of your bills or food costs . And if not then they start looking at you like your a criminal because how else have you been buying toilet paper .

I am putting a link to a site that has applacations for all 50 states.SNAP (Food Stamp) State Application Forms Online

and a link to info on 'how the food stamp program works'.

Food Stamp Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
Oscar Namechange

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Oscar Namechange »

scholle-kid;1126688 wrote: A person starts out with a 'packet' of about 6 or 7 pages of instructions , rules and regulations. Then there is a 4 or 5 pages application that will ask you about every personal bit of information starting with all the jobs you have had for the last 10 years or so then move onto any and all bank accounts and the amounts in them . Any addresses you have lived at for the last 3 residents. then will ask if you have or will or expect to receive any 'gifts' of cash ' from any family members or if any one has paid any of your bills or food costs . And if not then they start looking at you like your a criminal because how else have you been buying toilet paper .

I am putting a link to a site that has applacations for all 50 states.SNAP (Food Stamp) State Application Forms Online

and a link to info on 'how the food stamp program works'.

Food Stamp Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thankyou very much for taking the time to do that for me. It's much appreciated. :-6
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Amber Sun;1126586 wrote: Well to begin with Kindle, I don't know what 'tes' is, but for the rest of his diet if he continues like this for the next week or two he will find himself sliding downhill very rapidly towards severe malnourishment.

Ironically enough, it is the cheapest foods that are most nourishing and the cheapest to buy. I don't know about where you are living but here a bag of brown rice is .75 cheaper than white. It also produces 3 cups to one where white rice gives 2 to one. White rice is stripped of the bran and outer husk, both of these are utilized by the body. Brown rice is a nourishing source of complex carbohydrates that the body needs. Whole grain steel cuts rolled oats takes a few minutes longer to cook than quick oats but are much healthier for a person and it also produces more per cup than quick oats. These are just two examples of eating properly.

For the price that he paid for one jar of peanut butter I would have spent 1 extra dollar and bought both the brown rice and rolled oats. Assuming the man has a stove to cook on, some soup bones ( 2.00 worth) thrown into a pot of water along with a cup of brown rice and a few carrots (1.50) and an onion (.25) would make a nourishing pot of soup that would last a few meals. Bread is expensive to buy and is lacking in any kind of nourishment (contrary to what commercial bakeries would have us believe). I am not talking about the little corner bakery but the large ones that supply supermarkets. (Actually their bread is good for cleaning wallpaper on the walls). I would have bought a small 5 lb bag of flour, yeast that is cheaper to buy than baking powder and a doz eggs. To this mix of 3 cups of this flour I would have added a bit of lard lard that is cheaper to buy than margarine or oil, and a bit of sugar (to feed the yeast) that is cheaper than honey, and I would have had about 2 loaves of bread to eat with the soup. Or he could add a bit of cinnamon to some of the mix and had buns to eat with his tea in the morning.

I won't go on with this but I think you understand what it is I'm saying here. for the most part it is lack of knowledge and planning. Yes, he may run short of funds and food before the next issue if he were to be getting one, but there are always free meals at churches etc.

Sorry Amber. I didn't notice the error when I reread what I wrote. tes = tea

Also, the food I mentioned was only for breakfast and lunch, the blog goes into supper meals as well.

What Sean is pointing out is that it takes integelligence, careful planning and committment to make this work. Many people who find themselves on the receiving end of this program go into it without proper preparation. There mind set is not as Sean's is. He's doing this for one month and then it ends. People who are on the program are desparate in many instances and worry about what will happen to them and their families if they can't stay on the program.

Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

weeder;1126649 wrote: Trying to live on 176.00 a month for food, would force me to finally eat the kind of diet that would make me lose weight. Money wise, I could do it.

It would be rice, vegetables, lots of water, applesauce, oatmeal, and and, I cant think of anything else. The problem would be the cravings. Bread, chicken, cheese, and the occassional piece of garbage. Cookies etc...

Oh yes... No coffee. That would be hard.

I recently saw a young couple interviewed on TV. They ate on 1.00 a day, as an experiment, and wrote a book about it. Lots of peanut butter, and jelly.

That was my thought exactly in following this.

My fantasy about helping those in need of food goes something like this:

Give them fishing equipment, if they live near water; a freezer to to be able to buy in bulk (sharing purchases with neighbors in the same situation); seeds to plant their own food (and if they don't have space where they live, access to land where they can grow stuff in community with others); possibly a rifle and training in hunting, skinning and preparing the wildlife around them (if they live in the country). The concept being: Don't just hand them the food, teach them how to get it for themselves.

Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Sean has received some of the same suggestions as we made here on FG: buy your bulk items at this store, meats and such at another, and then try to hit a farmer's market for fresh fruits and vegetables. The problem with this, he says, is that people on food stamps don't have a lot of money and transportation costs money.

He also changed his breakfast and lunch menu: two eggs, yogurt, and tea for breakfast and a banana, two tuna fish sandwiches and some left over mac and cheese for lunch.

Diet Coke withdrawal is still a problem and he had a headache at the end of work tho he felt fine after his daily run.

Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

People have been berating Sean for not using coupons when purchasing his food. My thought was how do you get the coupons when you have no money. You probably won't be buying newpapers or magazines and you surely don't have a computer to print them out, unless you went to the library.

Sean writes: "A lot of people also say they believe someone can buy enough food with 176 dollars to fill their stomachs, BUT, is it healthy, is it nutritious, is it filling, do you eat the same things over and over? Yes, yes, yes, and so far....yes.

I bought a lot of carbs when I went shopping. I am relatively active so that hasn't been a drawback... yet. But some seniors write concerned that their carb heavy diet is packing on unwanted pounds. They argue food stamps just don't provide enough money to buy a healthy well-rounded diet."

I'm beginning to think this is more difficult than I first imagined.

Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Sean's research on food stamps has resulted in talks with Sam's Club and why they do not accept them. They have just told him that change is in the works.

Sam's Club is going to roll out a nationwide operation by mid-March and will start accepting food stamps.

Their press release states, "As a service to our members during the current economic environment, we have recently started accepting government issued EBT cards for the purchase of products within our clubs in select locations."

It goes on to say it's their intention to accept the EBT cards nationwide very soon.

People still have to cough up $40 for the Sam's Club membership card.

They still have calls into other large discount stores, and are waiting to hear back.

It makes sense to me that stores where you can get more for less should be accepting food stamps

rosajrms

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by rosajrms »

I buy some fresh veges when they are on sale. Today, I bought some red bell peppers at 2 for $1 and avocados at 2 for $1. I also treated myself to a box of blueberries for $2.

I supplement my food stamps with food banks. There is one here in Tacoma that you can go to weekly - St Leo's Food Connection. This week, I will try the Salvation Army. You can go there 6 times a year.

Food gotten so far from the food bank:

strawberry cream cheese

applesauce cups

pudding cups

canned diced tomatoes

some wierd really thick lemon ade - won't be drinking that, but, it will make the drain smell good

a ring of turkey sausage

apples

frozen carrots

frozen corn on the cob

sliced bread

I like to eat soda crackers, so I buy hummus, cream cheese and avocado dip. Peanut butter breaks me out.

It's the stuff you have to pay cash for that will be the most challenging for me.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Welcome to FG, Rosajrms. :-6 I hope you'll be enjoying yourself here.

Are you a family of one or more?

rosajrms

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by rosajrms »

just me
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

A recent suggestion Sean received from a reader was to purchase Tofu. "Tofu is the cheapest form of protein per pound. It is also very versatile, so you can make it taste like anything."

Does anyone here eat tofu? If so, how do you prepare it?

rosajrms

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by rosajrms »

thanks
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

Kindle;1139792 wrote: A recent suggestion Sean received from a reader was to purchase Tofu. "Tofu is the cheapest form of protein per pound. It is also very versatile, so you can make it taste like anything."

Does anyone here eat tofu? If so, how do you prepare it?

I have recently learned that research has shown that tofu has some very negative aspects to it. I suggest that people google this before deciding whether or not they want to invest in this.

In an earlier post it was mentioned that the journalist who is currently investigating food stamps is suffering from withdrawal from diet soda. This should be an immediate alert to all those drinking it. A question to ask himself is why would a diet drink be 'addictive'?

Diet drinks for the most part are sweetened with Aspertime or Nutrasweet. Both of these are the same product going under 2 names. It behooves everyone drinking diet drinks to google information about this product. When it first hit the market it had not been tested on humans and later when it did it was found that it interfers with various pharmaceuticals and can cause brain tumors.
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

rosajrms;1136842 wrote: I buy some fresh veges when they are on sale. Today, I bought some red bell peppers at 2 for $1 and avocados at 2 for $1. I also treated myself to a box of blueberries for $2.

I supplement my food stamps with food banks. There is one here in Tacoma that you can go to weekly - St Leo's Food Connection. This week, I will try the Salvation Army. You can go there 6 times a year.

Food gotten so far from the food bank:

strawberry cream cheese

applesauce cups

pudding cups

canned diced tomatoes

some wierd really thick lemon ade - won't be drinking that, but, it will make the drain smell good

a ring of turkey sausage

apples

frozen carrots

frozen corn on the cob

sliced bread

I like to eat soda crackers, so I buy hummus, cream cheese and avocado dip. Peanut butter breaks me out.

It's the stuff you have to pay cash for that will be the most challenging for me.

I'm happy to hear you are aware of sensible eating habits rosajrms. I know that if you would like some help on healthy menu suggestions that will extend your food resources by using less money you will probably get help on this thread.:)
rosajrms

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by rosajrms »

I don't cook. And, most soybeans have been genetically modified by Monsanto.

I think I'm getting plenty of protein with hummus - made from garbonzo beans, and from some mixed nuts. I also have oatmeal a few times per week with some nuts and sunflower seeds.

Thanks everyone!
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

rosajrms;1140040 wrote: I don't cook. And, most soybeans have been genetically modified by Monsanto.

I think I'm getting plenty of protein with hummus - made from garbonzo beans, and from some mixed nuts. I also have oatmeal a few times per week with some nuts and sunflower seeds.

Thanks everyone!

I hate Monsanto with a passion. On another thread Themis is talking about us being visited by extra-terrestrials. If this ever proved to be true I would try directing them to fire their first shots there. I sign every petition I can against Monsanto.

Why don't you cook, if you don't mind my asking of course.:) You could save a lot more money.
BTS

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by BTS »

Kindle;1136473 wrote: Sean's research on food stamps has resulted in talks with Sam's Club and why they do not accept them. They have just told him that change is in the works.

Sam's Club is going to roll out a nationwide operation by mid-March and will start accepting food stamps.

Their press release states, "As a service to our members during the current economic environment, we have recently started accepting government issued EBT cards for the purchase of products within our clubs in select locations."

It goes on to say it's their intention to accept the EBT cards nationwide very soon.

People still have to cough up $40 for the Sam's Club membership card.

They still have calls into other large discount stores, and are waiting to hear back.

It makes sense to me that stores where you can get more for less should be accepting food stamps

HMMM.........

I shop at Sams and Cosco and for years they have refused food stamps but now that we are in for a BIG change, they will start accepting....:confused:

What does that tell you?:-2

It tells me that the largest retailer in the world sees the change that this country is in for.................SWELL-FARE:-5

Otherwise they would not change their policy.
"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

BTS;1140172 wrote: HMMM.........

I shop at Sams and Cosco and for years they have refused food stamps but now that we are in for a BIG change, they will start accepting....:confused:

What does that tell you?:-2

It tells me that the largest retailer in the world sees the change that this country is in for.................SWELL-FARE:-5

Otherwise they would not change their policy.

watch your prices at these places, alot of times, more is not always cheaper.;)
Life is just to short for drama.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1140483 wrote: watch your prices at these places, alot of times, more is not always cheaper.;)

That's true. Even in regular grocery stores you need to watch quanity/cost on items.

Under the guise of giving us 'helpful information', they now have made it as difficult as they can for the average person to easily identify the best buy. Busy shoppers don't have the time to compare sizes and weights on all the items they need to buy.

Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1140519 wrote: That's true. Even in regular grocery stores you need to watch quanity/cost on items.

Under the guise of giving us 'helpful information', they now have made it as difficult as they can for the average person to easily identify the best buy. Busy shoppers don't have the time to compare sizes and weights on all the items they need to buy.

I have time and always look for the best bargains, now I don't always go to all the stores......pending how I feel, but I have checked out Costco and fine, they sell in huge quantity's.......but there are also very expensive, and folks just don't realize this.

ex: Pantene shampoo was on sale for 2/4.00, I picked up 10.

24 toilet paper rolls, I never pay more than 4.99.

orange juice, each week one is on special.

cat food, normally 70 cents per tin, on sale for 39 cents, bought tons.

so much to offer out there if we just look.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1140527 wrote: I have time and always look for the best bargains, now I don't always go to all the stores......pending how I feel, but I have checked out Costco and fine, they sell in huge quantity's.......but there are also very expensive, and folks just don't realize this.

ex: Pantene shampoo was on sale for 2/4.00, I picked up 10.

24 toilet paper rolls, I never pay more than 4.99.

orange juice, each week one is on special.

cat food, normally 70 cents per tin, on sale for 39 cents, bought tons.

so much to offer out there if we just look.

That's true. However, the young working woman with a home and family to care doesn't have the luxury of shopping for the best bargains, though they need to. They are just running as fast as they can to just keep up. Been there. Done that. Glad I'm not there anymore. :D

Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1140529 wrote: That's true. However, the young working woman with a home and family to care doesn't have the luxury of shopping for the best bargains, though they need to. They are just running as fast as they can to just keep up. Been there. Done that. Glad I'm not there anymore. :D

that is true........glad I am not here either anymore!
Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

all in all, Costco prices even though they carry big quantitys are over-priced big-time.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Sean says he now runs out of steam after running 3 miles, probally because the carbs he's eaten have worn off. Apparently he's not eating enough protein which he chalks up to as learning how to purchase the right foods from the very beginning.

He states he is constantly worried about whether he will have enough food/money to make it through the month and it is an added stress to his day.

Cooking his food can take 45-60 minutes and though he is only one, he wonders how people with families waiting to eat weather this long wait.

People are telling him this experiment should go another month or two to gain the best insight into what life on food stamps really is like. He did not comment on whether this was something he was considering.

The only thing different that Sean is doing (from people really on food stamps) is refusing all food offered to him by others. People living on food stamps would never do this. Free food would stretch what they have and/or offer a special eating treat they might not otherwise have.

Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1145101 wrote: Sean says he now runs out of steam after running 3 miles, probally because the carbs he's eaten have worn off. Apparently he's not eating enough protein which he chalks up to as learning how to purchase the right foods from the very beginning.

He states he is constantly worried about whether he will have enough food/money to make it through the month and it is an added stress to his day.

Cooking his food can take 45-60 minutes and though he is only one, he wonders how people with families waiting to eat weather this long wait.

People are telling him this experiment should go another month or two to gain the best insight into what life on food stamps really is like. He did not comment on whether this was something he was considering.

The only thing different that Sean is doing (from people really on food stamps) is refusing all food offered to him by others. People living on food stamps would never do this. Free food would stretch what they have and/or offer a special eating treat they might not otherwise have.

so what is his reasoning for refusing food?
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1145222 wrote: so what is his reasoning for refusing food?

He wanted to make his experience as most like what the people on food stamps experience during the week/month............

I think in his profession, he might get invited out a lot and family might feed him often. Some people don't get the invites and some don't have family or family that is willing to help. It was just a matter of making hte experience as true to what actually happens in their lives.

Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

Kindle;1145232 wrote: He wanted to make his experience as most like what the people on food stamps experience during the week/month............

I think in his profession, he might get invited out a lot and family might feed him often. Some people don't get the invites and some don't have family or family that is willing to help. It was just a matter of making hte experience as true to what actually happens in their lives.

okay, now I understand, seems like he is doing pretty good.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Odie;1145241 wrote: okay, now I understand, seems like he is doing pretty good.

I think so. I wouldn't want to be him, but perhaps by blogging on it, it might be easier cause you are so publicly commited to the project.

Everything seems easier to talk about than to implement. That's when the flaws show up.

Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

Hi all. I was out with my niece today and we stopped at Wall Mart as we both wanted to make a purchase. We were there on Saturday also and I when I came out of the store I commented on how shocked I was at what they had done with the price of their coffee. When I went for my frozen veggies again today the price was still way up there. Nabob coffee, like most other coffee here sells on sale for $4.99 per tin, regular price 7.00 per large tin. But knowing that old age pension cheques and social assistance cheques were out yesterday and today they lifted the price of a tin of coffee to 11.99 with a sale price of 9.99. I can't get over this. Pharma Save still has it on sale at 4.99 with a regular price of 7.99. I don't have a cat but my niece does and she says that a small tin of cat food has gone up by 29 cents. It's a good thing I don't do much shopping there, I'd be broke in no time at all. they have become one of the most expensive stores in the city.

This kind of pricing before cheques come out hurts a lot of people. Many go to a big store like wall Mart because they can do all there shopping in one place and it carries many things that other stores don't. With a lot of ice still on our streets and the wind chill making it darn cold out there lots of old folks and singles buy all their food and other items then take a taxi home. Prices like that will drain a budget very quickly.
Odie

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Odie »

Amber Sun;1145481 wrote: Hi all. I was out with my niece today and we stopped at Wall Mart as we both wanted to make a purchase. We were there on Saturday also and I when I came out of the store I commented on how shocked I was at what they had done with the price of their coffee. When I went for my frozen veggies again today the price was still way up there. Nabob coffee, like most other coffee here sells on sale for $4.99 per tin, regular price 7.00 per large tin. But knowing that old age pension cheques and social assistance cheques were out yesterday and today they lifted the price of a tin of coffee to 11.99 with a sale price of 9.99. I can't get over this. Pharma Save still has it on sale at 4.99 with a regular price of 7.99. I don't have a cat but my niece does and she says that a small tin of cat food has gone up by 29 cents. It's a good thing I don't do much shopping there, I'd be broke in no time at all. they have become one of the most expensive stores in the city.

This kind of pricing before cheques come out hurts a lot of people. Many go to a big store like wall Mart because they can do all there shopping in one place and it carries many things that other stores don't. With a lot of ice still on our streets and the wind chill making it darn cold out there lots of old folks and singles buy all their food and other items then take a taxi home. Prices like that will drain a budget very quickly.

people assume Wal-mart is the best for pricing......it is not always, you really have to check the prices......for when they lower, they also raise.;)

they're are more stores out there where I can get things cheaper than Wal-Mart....buyers beware.
Amber Sun

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Amber Sun »

Odie;1145525 wrote: people assume Wal-mart is the best for pricing......it is not always, you really have to check the prices......for when they lower, they also raise.;)

they're are more stores out there where I can get things cheaper than Wal-Mart....buyers beware.

I seldom go to wall Mart Odie. I live right down town and have a few stores that I frequent and check for the best prices at all of them. We went to wall mart because that is the only place that I know of where I can get a particular brand of frozen veggies at a low price and it is only a block from the fabric store that I frequent. I got a real good deal on fabrics within the last week though. I get a blouse, matching skirt, another blouse, and 3 dresses all for $28.00. Since I am creating them they are all originals and will be sewn to last instead of falling apart.:-6
Accountable

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Accountable »

Kindle;1140529 wrote: That's true. However, the young working woman with a home and family to care doesn't have the luxury of shopping for the best bargains, though they need to. They are just running as fast as they can to just keep up. Been there. Done that. Glad I'm not there anymore. :D
A tip. I only shop for groceries at 3 places - Walmart, the commissary on the nearby Air Force base, and a local grocer HEB - but I've found this at all 3 so your grocer may have it as well:

Look at the bar code price tag on the shelf - the one that's supposed to have the current price (yeh right :D). Anyway, at the bottom, usually in really small print, it'll have the price per ounce or some other common scale so that you can compare true prices. It's really surprising when shopping for paper goods (toilet paper, facial tissues, paper towels). Those rolls look the same, but some of the specialized ones such as with aloe sell at the same price, but sometimes are significantly shorter or have fewer sheets, which makes them more expensive overall.
Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

31-million Americans need food stamps to eat each month.

This sobering fact makes me want to remember to bring in canned or packaged food to our church to give to our local food bank.

What do you do to help the hungry?

Kindle

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by Kindle »

Sean has ended his month with $3.24 left and he has learned a lot of things.

He says the greatest lessons he is going to take away from this project have very little to do with the actual diet. He was amazed at how the social aspect of his life was turned upside down when you can't eat out. Secondly, he constantly found himself doing math, "how much can I spend at this trip?" and "If I eat this for dinner, what will I have tomorrow night?" He found this draining.

A lot of folks asked him, "what did you miss the most? What are you going to eat first?"

He said he really didn't have a craving for anything. He does feel an obligation to build on what he's learned. So, his eating habits have changed for the foreseeable future.

I was fascinated by this experiment. What I've preceived from reading his blog is that most likely the people who need to obtain food stamps have to learn themselves how best to do it. And, mistakes they make in purchasing poorly are very costly for them cause they don't get another chance to try and do better until the next months food stamps are issued.

We probably should all learn to live smarter...................

AussiePam

Living on FOOD STAMPS

Post by AussiePam »

I know that it takes considerable management skills to feed a family on a really tight budget. I also know that people with considerable management skills are often less likely to end up having to live long term on a very tight budget than those who do not have such skills. The journailist in this experiment had stuff to learn, for sure, but he was a professional person - presumably with extensive problem solving ability and a focussed cheery outlook. He wasn't stuck in a grey tunnel of despair without a visible end to it. Sadly, many people living in poverty don't have his resourcefulness or his hope.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “General Chit Chat”