Can someone help me?

Lon

Can someone help me?

Post by Lon »

xx_Janey_xx;1147373 wrote: I never cared much about religion....i thought it was aload of ....... but now i feel like im missing something and i have no idea where to start becuase there is such so much invloved in religion.... can anyone point me in the direction please?:)

Prepare yourself for the ONSLAUGHT.
Oscar Namechange

Can someone help me?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

xx_Janey_xx;1147373 wrote: I never cared much about religion....i thought it was aload of ....... but now i feel like im missing something and i have no idea where to start becuase there is such so much invloved in religion.... can anyone point me in the direction please?:)

I would very happily educate you into 'The Gospel According to the Meninblack'
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Can someone help me?

Post by koan »

The best way to explore religion is from a point of skeptical curiosity. Any reasonable religion encourages you to ask questions. If you find something that feels like Truth then ponder it. I think every religion has something interesting to offer. I don't know that anyone's got it "right". It's a feeling that can't be explained. Any attempt to do so degrades the experience.

Good luck.
Ted

Can someone help me?

Post by Ted »

I am a member o an ecumenical society. Even as a Christian pluralist I still try to learn as much as I can about other faiths. We had two good speakers last evening dealing with the Baha'i religion. It was most interesting.

So far I think that Koan has given the best advice. It can be an exciting study.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

oscar;1147382 wrote: I would very happily educate you into 'The Gospel According to the Meninblack'

Anesa '' O ''

Get Out Of My Head , I Was Just Sitting Here Thinking About Writeing A Post About The Men In Black .
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

Ask Question And Question The Question .
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Richard Bell

Can someone help me?

Post by Richard Bell »

xx_Janey_xx;1147373 wrote: can anyone point me in the direction please?:)

That's just asking for a whole load of codswallop.

I never cared much about religion....i thought it was aload of .......

I'd say you pretty much nailed it there... (and no, that's not a pun on Christianity :D)
Amber Sun

Can someone help me?

Post by Amber Sun »

I understand your feelings on this Janey. Religion has much to offer that atheism, or even a 'cool' feeling toward it all doesn't.

First there is the point to consider of our own mortality. An adherent within the majority of religions comes to believe in an afterlife, not a 'cessation to consciousness' as an atheist would.

Then there is the accountability of ones actions that come into consideration. A strong believer in the Bible etc, teaches one that good things come from god and bad things from the devil. If an individual does something bad then the devil led him/her astray or made them do it so to speak. If the individual does a good deed then he/she can bask in the knowledge that he/she carries 'gods holy spirit' and it was this spirit that performed the good deed. So you never take the credit or the responsibility for anything.

Then there is the 'socializing' factor that is to be admired. People meet at least once a week in the selected gathering place wearing their nice clothing and all have smiles on their faces as they greet everyone they know. Some will go out of their way to greet new faces also. This is quite unlike a bingo hall or liquor bar/pub.

What must also be taken into consideration are the laws and rules imposed on the adherents of the religious group. To be in good standing one must obey all the commandments in the religious books being used by the congregation, no drinking, smoking, swearing, etc. If it is one of the 'sects' (I will not use names on the thread) then heavier laws and rules are established. In some there are laws guiding dis-fellowship purposes. An example may be that you may not be allowed to celebrate certain traditional holidays with family and friends any longer and may not even be able to associate with them unless it is to attend a funeral etc. This keeps the congregation clean of outside influences. In others wearing any kind of face make-up or doing up of the hair is frowned upon.

When searching for a religion you must also decide whether you want to worship a male or female deity. Do you want a war god demanding retribution and exacting punishment, or do you want an ancient god that you can change to your liking. Some prefer a goddess, but then again you must decide what kind of goddess you want to worship and bow down to. There are many goddesses, some of death, some for birth etc., there is also the Creatrix (the goddess that created all that there is, she goes under a few names.

If you decide that you would rather worship a goddess then I suggest you investigate all the pagan branches of religion. They don't really have any laws/rules that must be followed or you will be thrown out, except that a few believe that you have to be careful what you do because it may come back to you. I think it's called the 'witches rede' or something like that. But there are just as many branches within the pagan communities as there are among the christian ones. They even have 'witch wars' just like every other religion with everyone claiming they are the true ones. However there are a very few 'eclectic' groups that don't involve themselves in that sort of thing.

If it is the symbolism and rituals that you want all of the above groups have this and to a very great extent they are all the same. There is community and socializing among them all, a belief in an after life of some kind, and the duality of good an bad entities exist in the majority. But at the end of it all you have to 'feel good' about the decision you make. What is right for one person does not mean that it is right for the next.

I hope you find something that makes you happy and gives you peace of mind.:-6
Lon

Can someone help me?

Post by Lon »

[QUOTE=Amber Sun;1147494]I understand your feelings on this Janey. Religion has much to offer that atheism, or even a 'cool' feeling toward it all doesn't.

How could you possibly know or even understand what atheism has to offer if you are not an atheist? Cool feeing about religion is another matter.
OpenMind

Can someone help me?

Post by OpenMind »

Welcome to FG Janey.

Why not start here:

religions of the world - Google Search

or here:

religions - Google Search
Chezzie

Can someone help me?

Post by Chezzie »

First step.........Believe in yourself. Once you have that nailed im sure it will become clearer.:-6

Welcome to the forum Janey:-6
spot

Can someone help me?

Post by spot »

Your local library may have a copy of Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion", reading that offers worthwhile insight into the topic. Then, if you want to explore spirituality you'll have better tools to defend yourself from evangelists. A Buddhist center close enough to drop into would probably be a big help too if they have open meetings and courses.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Hamster

Can someone help me?

Post by Hamster »

Welcome to the forum Janey :)

Have you considered a more spiritual path or are you convinced you wish to pursue a religion?
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
Oscar Namechange

Can someone help me?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

There's only one religion in my house....... Oscar's religion :guitarist:guitarist
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
bobbyz

Can someone help me?

Post by bobbyz »

First thing you need to decide, Jane, is whether you seek the truth or merely comfort!

If you are looking for the truth I suggest "The God Delusion" as someone else suggested and have a look at the "the-brights dot net"

However, if you want comfort there are hundreds maybe thousands of different belief systems to choose from. Most, if not all, religions offer comfort and I suppose that is a big reason for their popularity.

I come from a Christian background and live in a Christian society. However, personally I find it to be medieval stupidity to believe in the nonsense, although when you pick and choose, many good moral standards are preached. But that doesn't make it any more true. Being honest to my sense of reason, open-minded and being content in whatever seems most plausible is where I find comfort.
koan

Can someone help me?

Post by koan »

spot;1147530 wrote: Your local library may have a copy of Richard Dawkins "The God Delusion", reading that offers worthwhile insight into the topic. Then, if you want to explore spirituality you'll have better tools to defend yourself from evangelists. A Buddhist center close enough to drop into would probably be a big help too if they have open meetings and courses.

Isn't that the book you loaned me that I couldn't endure reading? :yh_giggle (<-there's a smilie there) I found his assumptions, which he stated as fact, to be entirely misleading.

I'm wondering if I missed something in the OP. I thought she was stating an interest in exploring religion and most of what she's gotten in response are warnings against the endeavour.

I thought about buying ice cream last night and a bunch of people approached me in the supermarket telling me how bloated the dairy will make me feel. I bought it anyway. It was really yummy. If that had really happened, half a dozen people actually approaching me in the market and trying to talk me out of buying some Ben and Jerry's, wouldn't it seem odd? Yet we think nothing of going into a thread expressing curiosity on religion and trying to scare someone off.
Amber Sun

Can someone help me?

Post by Amber Sun »

Lon;1147498 wrote: [QUOTE=Amber Sun;1147494]I understand your feelings on this Janey. Religion has much to offer that atheism, or even a 'cool' feeling toward it all doesn't.

How could you possibly know or even understand what atheism has to offer if you are not an atheist? Cool feeing about religion is another matter.

You are assuming too much ,Lon, if you think you know what I believe and what I don't. For you information, and everyone else that reads this thread;

I do not believe in an entity who is omnipotent and omniscient, call it god or goddess.

I grew up in Christianity believing in the above, along with the belief of an after-life. Knowledge acquired through education in the sciences and religious studies, along with a heavy dose of experience of myself and others, brought enlightenment.

Last of all Lon, I very seldom give any help or advice if I don't know exactly what I am talking about. If I do then my paragraphs will be sprinkled with a lot of "I think" or "perhaps" etc. Please do not presume to 'know' me, what I think or what I feel.

In this thread I know precisely what I am saying.
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

oscar;1147557 wrote: There's only one religion in my house....... Oscar's religion :guitarist:guitarist

You Could Be Right Because According To Mitochondria DNA The Woman Is The True God / Goddess !

Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

Jester;1147745 wrote: Just find a bible and read the book of John, first two chapters several times for a few days, then come back here and start a thread with your questions. I'll try to answer you the best I can.

But be prepared, as many questions as I answer someone will come along and disagree with.

But you'll have to decide yourself.

Ohhhhhhhhhh No The World Don't Need Another One Of You With Your Mind Set :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

The Inevitability of Fact ; Everyone seeks facts , truth , confirmation ; no one can really endure on blind faith or hopes . The stress and cares of life without facts about something , like not knowing the exact phone number of an important call or the address of a place you must be at , at a certain time . To not have facts to feel pain , fear , danger , but not know why or where to go to have it taken care of , that's blind faith , not a life to death that cannot ultimately be proven . Atheists cannot prove there is no God or Gods just as religious people cannot prove that their God or Gods exist by faith and belief only . And so they create other titles such as Pantheist or Pragmatist .

Facts are unavoidables , even if we only choose to have facts in our own existence . What is to be decided is , what evidence do we think is pertinent . How are we going to interpret the evidence and who finds it and will they really accept the facts over their blind faith ? Ask yourself , who is your mother ? She comes to mind because you know who she is . Now who is your creator , God , Lord , Allah , Rabb , JAH , Yahweh ? You don't get an exact . One is Fact and the other is Fiction until confirmed ......

spot

Can someone help me?

Post by spot »

koan;1147690 wrote: Isn't that the book you loaned me that I couldn't endure reading? :yh_giggle (

If you read the thread I think you'll find most of us reacted to "i have no idea where to start because there is such so much involved in religion" by distinguishing religion from spiritual exploration and exercise, warning against the former (religion) while suggesting the latter (spiritual exploration and exercise) is far more rewarding. That, at least, was my intention.

I tend to associate the word "religion" with monotheistic belief in an omnipotent God. I wouldn't want it on my conscience that I hadn't warned an explorer from going near that path.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Can someone help me?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

If you are looking for a Christian based starter course then look up "the Alpha Course".

It certainly runs here in the UK and I believe it also runs in several other countries and provides a grounding in Christian thought.
OpenMind

Can someone help me?

Post by OpenMind »

I have a feeling that this is one of those threads that has been started by one half of a duo. Good luck to them.
spot

Can someone help me?

Post by spot »

Giving the benefit of the doubt is charitable.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Can someone help me?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1148011 wrote: Giving the benefit of the doubt is charitable.

I'll remind you of that one oneday soon :-)
Ted

Can someone help me?

Post by Ted »

Janey:-6

One good place to start would be in borrowing and reading "The Great Transformation" by Karen Armstrong. This would help you understand the bases of all of the world's great faiths.

The problem with reading the Bible literally is that it was never intended to be read that way. The Jews who wrote the Bible understood and understand this as do many modern biblical scholars.

Shalom

Ted:-6
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

With All Do Respect When Researching / Seeking A Religion One Must Know The History / Culture / Dress / Language / Laws / Teaching Etc Of That Religion . Asking For Direction Is Not A Good Thing . Because Your Going Have People Leading You To Their School Of Though . And You Don't Want To Just Put Your Soul Into Just Anyone Hands . Also Whatever Religion You Deside Make Sure Your Able To Ask Question If Not Step Off Because If Your Not Allow To Question That Religion / Person Is Hideing Something ( Just Thought )

Good Luck .

OpenMind

Can someone help me?

Post by OpenMind »

Daniyal;1148043 wrote: With All Do Respect When Researching / Seeking A Religion One Must Know The History / Culture / Dress / Language / Laws / Teaching Etc Of That Religion . Asking For Direction Is Not A Good Thing . Because Your Going Have People Leading You To Their School Of Though . And You Don't Want To Just Put Your Soul Into Just Anyone Hands . Also Whatever Religion You Deside Make Sure Your Able To Ask Question If Not Step Off Because If Your Not Allow To Question That Religion / Person Is Hideing Something ( Just Thought )

Good Luck .

Very dramatic, Daniyal.
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

OpenMind;1148051 wrote: Very dramatic, Daniyal.

Truth is Truth no Matter how You Slice it ....

OpenMind

Can someone help me?

Post by OpenMind »

Daniyal;1148055 wrote: Truth is Truth no Matter how You Slice it ....

I like it whole myself and not sliced at all.
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

OpenMind;1148056 wrote: I like it whole myself and not sliced at all.

Whatever trun you on :)

OpenMind

Can someone help me?

Post by OpenMind »

daniyal;1148059 wrote: whatever trun you on :)

:-6
bobbyz

Can someone help me?

Post by bobbyz »

koan;1147690 wrote:

I'm wondering if I missed something in the OP. I thought she was stating an interest in exploring religion and most of what she's gotten in response are warnings against the endeavour.

As I read it, Jane was wondering about the big questions in life; Why are we here? Why am I here? What should I do? etc. Traditionally we turn to religion because they offer easy answers (at least the ones I know of). My point was to say that we don't have to turn to the supernatural to find contentment. In fact, there is so much more wonder, excitement and awe in the natural answers.
avdpent

Can someone help me?

Post by avdpent »

Once you start searching there is no end to it. Just realize there is nobody who knows. You either believe or you don't believe. The emphasis is on 'believe'. If we are honest we must admit that we are all Agnostics; Christians, Muslims, Hindus ........ as well as Atheists. All are believers. Believe God exists or believe God does not exist. Nobody knows!!!!
Kindle

Can someone help me?

Post by Kindle »

I very much liked what Koan had to say to you, but I have a question for you.

Are you seeking to immerse yourself in a religion, thinking that you will fill the emptiness you've expressed?

Or, are you seeking God and wish to find a path to Him?

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

Belief & Believe" are two of the most deceptive words in religion. Belief is ignorance. Belief is to ignore the facts, intentionally or ignorantly. If one has to believe, it means he or she does not know, and if one does not know, that is ignorance. Anyone can believe anything and this means that a person can believe, and be 100% wrong. But knowledge is knowing and knowledge is correct information. "To know" gives one confidence, but belief infers doubt. To believe is to accept things that you do don't know .Either you know or you don't. Once you know - then you no longer have to believe and belief is the fuel of most religions.

A - Ask ( Psalms 2 ; 8 , Matthew 21 ; 22 , Mark 6 ; 22 , 1John 3 ; 22 , 1 John 5 ; 15 ) .

S - Seek ( Psalms 27 ; 4 , 1Chr 28 ; 9 , 2Chr 34 ; 4 , Romans 3 ; 11 )

K - Knock ( Revelation 3 ; 20 )

Knowledge = correct information which is always logical and reasons out.

:yh_peace

Refer To - Christianity Discuss the Christian Faith. - The Bible as History - Ted --- Post # 4 - 8

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Can someone help me?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

avdpent;1152456 wrote: Once you start searching there is no end to it. Just realize there is nobody who knows. You either believe or you don't believe. The emphasis is on 'believe'. If we are honest we must admit that we are all Agnostics; Christians, Muslims, Hindus ........ as well as Atheists. All are believers. Believe God exists or believe God does not exist. Nobody knows!!!!

You cannot include agnostics in that list - they're the only ones who claim not to know.
spot

Can someone help me?

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1152920 wrote: You cannot include agnostics in that list - they're the only ones who claim not to know.

The other problem is that each group means something different by the word "God". While there may be a common core it's swamped by the unique distinctions. I could use the word God in a sense that's meaningful to me but it would be heretical to others. Just settling the meaning of the vocabulary is a major task rarely even attempted.
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

spot;1152928 wrote: The other problem is that each group means something different by the word "God". While there may be a common core it's swamped by the unique distinctions. I could use the word God in a sense that's meaningful to me but it would be heretical to others. Just settling the meaning of the vocabulary is a major task rarely even attempted.

I Just Love The Way You [ Plagiarized ] Words / Things . :wah:

qsducks

Can someone help me?

Post by qsducks »

I can't help you...I'm too busy with my mind at the moment.
Nomad

Can someone help me?

Post by Nomad »

Church shop. Try on so to speak churches in your area. Join bible study groups, theyre intimate and its a place for you to raise questions and doubts.

Get books on tape of the Bible, Koran, Hinduism, and other Eastern religious matter.

Educate yourself and if something coincides with what already lives in you examine it more closely.

Korn was right I think, be skeptical and avoid being pressured. For me personally I have ideas that might not fit in to a replica of any one religion. Its a personal endeavor and no one can tell you its not right upon choosing a belief system. They will but thats their problem.

People will tell you they know, they believe. None of us know until we know.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Can someone help me?

Post by Nomad »

Daniyal;1152488 wrote: Belief & Believe" are two of the most deceptive words in religion. Belief is ignorance. Belief is to ignore the facts, intentionally or ignorantly.

You suggest faith is foolish. You cant tell people their faith is unworthy. It belongs to them. Its theirs, not yours to degrade you pompous a**hole.

Your ignorance is blinding. I understand you are unable to recognize this but it might be worth exploring.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Daniyal

Can someone help me?

Post by Daniyal »

Nomad;1155332 wrote: You suggest faith is foolish. You cant tell people their faith is unworthy. It belongs to them. Its theirs, not yours to degrade you pompous a**hole.

Your ignorance is blinding. I understand you are unable to recognize this but it might be worth exploring.

By you calling me ( pompous a**hole ) Tell me you're another one who has a free pass to insulting me , But knowing it your Nature to get something started when someone doesn't agree with your silly faith it to be expect . And it that same blinding light that has you thinking faith going to save you . Now thats is the highest forum Ignorance . :wah::wah::wah: Enjoy having Faith in your [ Plagiarized ] By -Bill

Nomad

Can someone help me?

Post by Nomad »

Daniyal;1155354 wrote: By you calling me ( pompous a**hole ) Tell me you're another one who has a free pass to insulting me , But knowing it your Nature to get something started when someone doesn't agree with your silly faith it to be expect . And it that same blinding light that has you thinking faith going to save you . Now thats is the highest forum Ignorance . :wah::wah::wah: Enjoy having Faith in your [ Plagiarized ] By -Bill

You invite insult. You beg for it because of your ignorance.

My faith ? What could you possibly know about my faith. Assumption is a guess when you dont have a foundation to draw from.

I addressed your condescending darts not your faith.

Seriously dude you need to pause occasionally and consider that you cant believe everything you think.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “General Religious Discussions”