Nearly 700 Iraqis Killed By Brethren

Discuss the latest political news.
Clint

Post by Clint »

Nearly 700 Iraqis Killed in Bridge Stampede

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

BAGHDAD, Iraq — Panic engulfed thousands of Shiites (search) marching across a bridge in a religious procession Wednesday after rumors spread that a homicide bomber was about to attack, triggering a stampede that killed at least 695 people.

Scores of pilgrims jumped or were pushed to their deaths into the muddy Tigris River (search) about 30 feet below, but many also were crushed in the crowd, which had jammed up at a security checkpoint on the western side of the Azamiyah bridge. Most of the dead were women and children, Interior Ministry spokesman Lt. Col. Adnan Abdul-Rahman said.

More:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,167906,00.html

The bombers were caught by the Iraqi Military and the U.S. Military took out some attackers. Why would they want to kill thier own people in the middle of a religious activity?
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
pantsonfire321@aol.com

Post by pantsonfire321@aol.com »

because they are animals
Can go from 0 - to bitch in 3.0 seconds .:D

Smile people :yh_bigsmi

yep, this bitch bites back .;)
minks

Post by minks »

pantsonfire321@aol.com wrote: because they are animals

Isn't that a horrific story, seems like a new kind of terrorist tactic, pandamonium. Makes me very sad.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Jives

Post by Jives »

Suicide bombers weren't enough? Now they have stampedes? This just makes me more nervous by the day.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
minks

Post by minks »

Jives wrote: Suicide bombers weren't enough? Now they have stampedes? This just makes me more nervous by the day.
No kidding, they just keep coming up with more tactics. Very frightening.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Clint

Post by Clint »

I think this speaks volumes about how morally empty and desperate they are. They will stop at nothing. I’m even more convinced that we are doing the right thing when it comes to dealing with them. I just think we should be doing more if it is at all possible. If they will do this to their own people what will they do to us when they see fit.

I have to ask myself why they haven’t done more outside Iraq. I think the answer is that they have their hands full where they are thanks to the pressure being put on them by the coalition. And I believe God is protecting us against their unbelievable evil.
Schooling results in matriculation. Education is a process that changes the learner.
ubetta

Post by ubetta »

Clint wrote:

The bombers were caught by the Iraqi Military and the U.S. Military took out some attackers. Why would they want to kill their own people in the middle of a religious activity?

The two incidents are completely separate. There was a bombing and those people were caught. Then there was the thing on the bridge. Part of the deaths there were because of the faulty bridge. No one knows who said what on the bridge.... could have been some smart aleky kid or someone just talking about a 'what if' situation or as pointed out, it may have been planned.

Something to keep in mind when talking about Iraq/Iraqis. They are not all brethren...they see themselves as different groups. Like different tribes. So when something like this happens, the perps don't look at it as if they have killed their own.

Return to “Current Political Events”