A new pond!

A place to discuss all of your outdoor activities. Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, and whatever else you do out in the great wilds.
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

We are having a pond installed in a few weeks, below is a pic of the one I want, but in a smaller scale....

my list is:

-lights at botton

-'smoked' area

-grassed area around the pond

-patio stones for a walkway to there.

-fibre optic solar steaks on the pathway.

If anyone has information on ponds, I really would appreciate it.

maintenance wise also.

please click on twice.

Attached files
Life is just to short for drama.
kazalala

A new pond!

Post by kazalala »

looks lovely Odie,, we just installed our own ,,, its being chnaged at the mo and the garden revamped i will take pics soon:D make sure you have a filter and a uv light:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1173536 wrote: looks lovely Odie,, we just installed our own ,,, its being chnaged at the mo and the garden revamped i will take pics soon:D make sure you have a filter and a uv light:D

ohhhhhhh yes, I want pics!

He will know what we need that way as we are having someone do it professionally..........pending on the estimate.
kazalala

A new pond!

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1173540 wrote: ohhhhhhh yes, I want pics!

He will know what we need that way as we are having someone do it professionally..........pending on the estimate.

it would cost a pretty penny here i can tell ya,,, expensive enough just for all the stuff you need:-3:lips:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

kazalala;1173543 wrote: it would cost a pretty penny here i can tell ya,,, expensive enough just for all the stuff you need:-3:lips:

so how much are we talking here?

everything including the rocks will be on a much smaller scale, plants as well.
kazalala

A new pond!

Post by kazalala »

Odie;1173556 wrote: so how much are we talking here?

everything including the rocks will be on a much smaller scale, plants as well.

oh bloomin ek i cant remember how much everything costs ,,, but it does mount up ,,, and the cost for just installing could be in to the hundreds:-3

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
G-man

A new pond!

Post by G-man »

If you're concerned about cost... do it yourself, Odie. I've created a number of ponds from tiny to rather large... the largest one is about one acre in area and that one was already here, I just had it drained and dug out which cost several thousand dollars. How big do you want this and what is the most that you want to spend? Also, what do you have to contribute that you won't have to purchase... for example rocks to place around it?

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

G-man;1173685 wrote: If you're concerned about cost... do it yourself, Odie. I've created a number of ponds from tiny to rather large... the largest one is about one acre in area and that one was already here, I just had it drained and dug out which cost several thousand dollars. How big do you want this and what is the most that you want to spend? Also, what do you have to contribute that you won't have to purchase... for example rocks to place around it?

I think anyone would be concerned about cost, but I have never had quotes on anything for the house or landscaping done. Mike has always done everything himself, re-doing bathroom, kitchen, etc. etc.

Ours is not anywhere close to yours in size, it's roughly like that pic, just a smaller scale size for a backyard pond......maybe 6 X 6 feet.

We have nothing so far to contribute..no rocks or plants here.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

A new pond!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

kazalala;1173564 wrote: oh bloomin ek i cant remember how much everything costs ,,, but it does mount up ,,, and the cost for just installing could be in to the hundreds:-3
We are having a raised pond and small avairy. We have to have a raised pond as the male our dogs will **** his leg in if it's ground level. The whole area has to be patioed first but then then are doing the pond and avairy. These are one's we've chosen. Pete's having koi carp in the pond and my friend has some baby 'Orange Bishop birds waiting for my avairy.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

A new pond!

Post by chonsigirl »

Oh, koi are so cool to have!
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1173910 wrote: Oh, koi are so cool to have!

I can't wait to pick out ours!:guitarist:guitarist

plus with this company, they take my fish over winter and store them, free of charge.........and bring them back next year....

Some people do overwinter them and they come back fine, but I would rather them have them in a warm winter stored in their own tank that they supply.
chonsigirl

A new pond!

Post by chonsigirl »

Do you take them indoors in the winter?

Little ponds here are covered up, and the fish do all right. But it is not as cold as up there.
Kathy Ellen

A new pond!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Ahhhhh, beautiful Odie. Good luck with the work:-6
G-man

A new pond!

Post by G-man »

Odie;1173775 wrote: I think anyone would be concerned about cost, but I have never had quotes on anything for the house or landscaping done. Mike has always done everything himself, re-doing bathroom, kitchen, etc. etc.

Ours is not anywhere close to yours in size, it's roughly like that pic, just a smaller scale size for a backyard pond......maybe 6 X 6 feet.

We have nothing so far to contribute..no rocks or plants here.:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

That's a nice size... I have one that is about that size. For a garden pond that size you can buy a pre-formed pond liner that just needs a hole to drop it into. I prefer to use PVC vinyl with a liner underneath, as you can make it any shape you wish and it's a bit cheaper, too. You might also wish to consider adding a pump to aerate it and prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in it...

There will be two ledges... the top most ledge for rocks to be stacked up and out of the pond to cover the PVC or pre-formed pond insert's edge and the lower level to set your plant pots on...

chonsigirl;1173910 wrote: Oh, koi are so cool to have!

Koi are wonderful! Koi need some room to move about and grow, though. A koi pond also needs to be fairly deep, depending upon your zone so that your koi won't freeze to death during the winters (at least 3' to 4' deep in one area of the pond)... and so that predators won't easily eat them. Koi are like pets... just like your dog or cat... they love interacting with people and enjoy lots of attention.

Resources:

http://watergarden.com/pages/build_wg.html

Do It 101.com Build Your Own Garden Pond

Landscaping | Preformed Pond Liners | Outdoor Water Fountains

Preformed Ponds versus Pond Liners

Preformed pond liners

ORNAMENTAL PREFORMED POND LINERS

Ornamental Pond Liners Official Website

W. Lim's pre-formed Koi Pond - Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

http://www.practical-water-gardens.com/ ... dponds.htm

Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1173920 wrote: Ahhhhh, beautiful Odie. Good luck with the work:-6

thanks babe.......really looking forward to having this it's always been a life dream for me!
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

G-man;1173928 wrote: That's a nice size... I have one that is about that size. For a garden pond that size you can buy a pre-formed pond liner that just needs a hole to drop it into. I prefer to use PVC vinyl with a liner underneath, as you can make it any shape you wish and it's a bit cheaper, too. You might also wish to consider adding a pump to aerate it and prevent mosquitoes from laying eggs in it...

There will be two ledges... the top most ledge for rocks to be stacked up and out of the pond to cover the PVC or pre-formed pond insert's edge and the lower level to set your plant pots on...

Koi are wonderful! Koi need some room to move about and grow, though. A koi pond also needs to be fairly deep, depending upon your zone so that your koi won't freeze to death during the winters (at least 3' to 4' deep in one area of the pond)... and so that predators won't easily eat them. Koi are like pets... just like your dog or cat... they love interacting with people and enjoy lots of attention.

Resources:

How to Build A Water Garden or Fish Pond

Do It 101.com Build Your Own Garden Pond

Landscaping | Preformed Pond Liners | Outdoor Water Fountains

Preformed Ponds versus Pond Liners

Preformed pond liners

ORNAMENTAL PREFORMED POND LINERS

Ornamental Pond Liners Official Website

W. Lim's pre-formed Koi Pond - Koi Forum - Koi-Bito Magazine straight from Japan

Modern preformed ponds are best and easiest for a small garden

Mike can no longer dig and do this kind of work, that is why we are hiring a professional............

not sure about two levels as we want the pond quiet, when we sit outside at night, its just nice to hear a trickle, so we may have him install just a spout that shoots water out.
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

chonsigirl;1173915 wrote: Do you take them indoors in the winter?

Little ponds here are covered up, and the fish do all right. But it is not as cold as up there.

I can keep them in the pond as he will be digging deep enough to over winter them, but part of their service is that they will come and pick up our fish, then store them in a tank over winter..........I much prefer they keep them warm and safe this way.
G-man

A new pond!

Post by G-man »

Odie;1173949 wrote: Mike can no longer dig and do this kind of work, that is why we are hiring a professional............

not sure about two levels as we want the pond quiet, when we sit outside at night, its just nice to hear a trickle, so we may have him install just a spout that shoots water out.

The professionals will give you precisely what you want and walk you through it.

By two levels, I just meant that there are two ledges in the pond design... just helps to make the artificial pond look natural.

Kathy Ellen

A new pond!

Post by Kathy Ellen »

A good idea to hire a professional to do the job Odie and then take care of the fish during the winter. This must be so exciting for you:-6
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

G-man;1173970 wrote: The professionals will give you precisely what you want and walk you through it.

By two levels, I just meant that there are two ledges in the pond design... just helps to make the artificial pond look natural.

but why would it look artificial?:confused:

please click on twice.

Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

Kathy Ellen;1173975 wrote: A good idea to hire a professional to do the job Odie and then take care of the fish during the winter. This must be so exciting for you:-6

It really is so exciting Kathy, I haven't heard of a company with service like that included..........and I will feel much more at ease, especially the first year with the koi being in a warm tank.

just cannot wait as I love watching people build things also, so will have my camera there as well....still trying to find fibre optic solar steaks or solar lights that looks natural, as I have asked him for a natural setting.

been googling all day!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

We do which I forgot have the patio stones which are brand new that a neighbour gave us last year......when he does the rock pathway, he will put the patio stones down at the end of it.

that way when watching it will help me to get more educated on the pump, heater, lights etc.

learn all about the do's and don'ts with the koi and finding just the right ones for me.
G-man

A new pond!

Post by G-man »

Odie;1173978 wrote: but why would it look artificial?:confused:

please click on twice.

The professionals will make sure everything is covered up and looks natural.

Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

G-man;1173981 wrote: The professionals will make sure everything is covered up and looks natural.

-I figured so as they will be real plants and rocks
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

hey Kathy, what do you think of these 3 colours of Koi?

I will be buying them at a very small size, as I enjoy watching them grow.

..............the black one.

..............red

.............yellow
minks

A new pond!

Post by minks »

I bought you an easter present, an addition to your pond

(do you remember this book hehehehe)

Attached files
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

minks;1174254 wrote: I bought you an easter present, an addition to your pond

(do you remember this book hehehehe)

awwwwwwwwwwww how sweet of you, a fish warming gift!:-6

I don't remember that book.:confused:
minks

A new pond!

Post by minks »

Odie;1174256 wrote: awwwwwwwwwwww how sweet of you, a fish warming gift!:-6

I don't remember that book.:confused:

thas ok if you don't remember the book

Yes you can read a feel good fish story to your new fishies hehehehehe:-4
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Oscar Namechange

A new pond!

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie..... A warning...... Do not buy 'Ghost Koi' as they attack all other fish including larger Koi.

Attached files
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
BeesKnees

A new pond!

Post by BeesKnees »

Odie, Wow I'm jealous. I wish I had a little pond. Sooo relaxing...

Ghost Koi? Never heard of it but it's not as pretty as the others.
Odie

A new pond!

Post by Odie »

BeesKnees;1217759 wrote: Odie, Wow I'm jealous. I wish I had a little pond. Sooo relaxing...

Ghost Koi? Never heard of it but it's not as pretty as the others.

I never ended up getting the pond, to many things went wrong in the home life........oh well, maybe one day!:guitarist:guitarist

Return to “The Outdoors”