Dead horses show signs of being killed for meat

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Caretakers found the brown American Quarter Horse Bonita lying dead and bloodied on the stable floor early Sunday morning.

Her front legs had been hacked, as had portions of her rump.

Not far from the carcass lay her months-old foal.

read more:

Dead horses show signs of being killed for meat - Breaking News - MiamiHerald.com

Stealing horses for the meat? What's this world coming to?
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

It is against the law, they used to kill wild mustangs for dog food.
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

the french still eat horse meat

if ya been to france and had a steak it was prob a horse
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Oops

Post by Oops »

This was someone's pet though was it not? and with her foal beside her too, it just doesnt bear thinking about :-1
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

el guapo;1227791 wrote: the french still eat horse meat

if ya been to france and had a steak it was prob a horse

I'm sure the French don't steal someone's pet horse to eat it.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Oops;1227793 wrote: This was someone's pet though was it not? and with her foal beside her too, it just doesnt bear thinking about :-1

they said everyone now has to watch out for their horses as they are hacking them up and selling the meat on the black market in Florida.:-5:-5
Life is just to short for drama.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Pintoburgers, oh yummy.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Good God. Who could be so sick? I'm surprised they left the foal, after all isn't that like "horse veal?"

I hope whoever did this killed the horse first before they did their despicable deed. Smells like insurance fraud. I hope they pay dearly.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

RedGlitter;1227828 wrote: Good God. Who could be so sick? I'm surprised they left the foal, after all isn't that like "horse veal?"

I hope whoever did this killed the horse first before they did their despicable deed. Smells like insurance fraud. I hope they pay dearly.

No Redglitter, the woman they interviewed this morning showed the reporter where her horse was tied to a tree and butchered alive. Sick SOB's.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:-1 Oh, what a hideous thought Mustang.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

RedGlitter;1227828 wrote: Good God. Who could be so sick? I'm surprised they left the foal, after all isn't that like "horse veal?"

Me too preferably at the end of a rope.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

:-1 So thats why they cut off her legs?

:mad: Who ARE these "people?!"
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Mustang;1227833 wrote: the woman they interviewed this morning showed the reporter where her horse was tied to a tree and butchered alive.

I'm not sure I believe all this - butchering a live horse would be difficult and noisy. There would be a good probability of caught in the act, or very shortly afterwards. It's far more likely that the animal was stunned and/or bled beforehand, should what is alleged (slaughter for the value of the meat) be true.

If Richard Couto, an SPCA investigator, is correct, and "The meat is definitely being sold on the black market," and "There are volunteers working on the weekend who live in rural areas who have had horse meat offered to them in their homes, people driving in trucks with coolers offering to sell it for $7 a pound, $20 a pound." then it's unlikely that it's from the same source - why hasn't anybody bought the stuff, as an aid to detection of the culprits? How is it known that what was offered was really horse?

Were I to be of a nature to conduct such an enterprise, I'd buy any cheap horse, possibly fatten it, and slaughter it in the privacy of my own premises. Why take huge risk, for less material?

So, this isn't for profit, what is it for? Personal consumption by someone without the wherewithal to use an alternative method? No-one's going to go to those lengths. Is an animal doing it? No, 'cos it's not setting fire to the remains afterwards! Not all of these horses were tied up or burned - could it be a)animal and b) more than one person (or groups) in a "copy-cat" action? Nut-cases? Penniless "Foreigners"?

Hopefully whoever is doing this will be apprehended before another case.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

You think you've heard it all......you think theres nothing worse that can be done to animals than you have just read about and then something like this comes to light and once again you realise theres some sick bastards out there that call themselves humans.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Well, what do you expect? People are unemployed, more every week. They are getting desperate, even hungry as they wait for one of the millions of new jobs Obama has created. Expect a lot more illegal activities like that and livestock rustling.
Oops

Post by Oops »

hoppy;1227888 wrote: Well, what do you expect? People are unemployed, more every week. They are getting desperate, even hungry as they wait for one of the millions of new jobs Obama has created. Expect a lot more illegal activities like that and livestock rustling.

I dont know how desperate for money i'd need to be to hurt an animal (or a human being for that matter)

I'd rather starve to death, or chop bits off myself (ok maybe not the last part)

Seriously though nothing could induce me to do something like that, i just dont have it in me.
If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear ~Winnie the Pooh~
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Well, I've been hungry enough to bend the law to feed my family and myself. For a bit, I wasn't earning much, jobs were scarce, so after work in the evenings I rid the cemetaries of rabbits and squirrels. I used a air gun or a .22 with CB cartridges. Very quiet but powerful enough. We grew enough veggies, just couldn't afford much meat. Any day off was spent fishing.

Yeah, it sounds noble to swear you'd never hurt an animal but I will not see my family hungry.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

hoppy;1227902 wrote: Well, I've been hungry enough to bend the law to feed my family and myself.

Is it really true to say that in the 'States, if a family has no money, then they sill starve to death?

hoppy;1227902 wrote: For a bit, I wasn't earning much, jobs were scarce, so after work in the evenings I rid the cemetaries of rabbits and squirrels. I used a air gun or a .22 with CB cartridges. Very quiet but powerful enough. We grew enough veggies, just couldn't afford much meat. Any day off was spent fishing

Potting rabbits or squirrels or pigeons or whatnot is hardly in the same league as doing in and cutting bits off horses, though, is it!
Oops

Post by Oops »

hoppy;1227902 wrote: Well, I've been hungry enough to bend the law to feed my family and myself. For a bit, I wasn't earning much, jobs were scarce, so after work in the evenings I rid the cemetaries of rabbits and squirrels. I used a air gun or a .22 with CB cartridges. Very quiet but powerful enough. We grew enough veggies, just couldn't afford much meat. Any day off was spent fishing.

Yeah, it sounds noble to swear you'd never hurt an animal but I will not see my family hungry.

and i admire you for that, i do :)

i was a vegetarian for about 10 years, so if the only way for me to eat meat was if i kiilled it with my own bare hands then i'd go back to it again. If im perfectly honest i dont really each much meat anyway. There's such a wide variety of different foods avaliable these days and meat free version of things that are actually really healthy and tasty. Obviously if meat was the only thing avaliable to eat then i'd have to eat my words :wah:
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Bill Sikes;1227908 wrote: Is it really true to say that in the 'States, if a family has no money, then they sill starve to death?

I went to the welfare office. A black lesbian woman (yes, really) gave me a slip good for $3 at a certain store. She said to come back in a few days if I needed more. Later I dealt with another welfare person and got more food stamps. That was after I became unemployed.

Bill Sikes;1227908 wrote: Potting rabbits or squirrels or pigeons or whatnot is hardly in the same league as doing in and cutting bits off horses, though, is it!

Later, when I got a better gun I potted plenty of deer too. Had there been no deer, a steer or horse would have sufficed.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Hoppy posted:

Is it really true to say that in the 'States, if a family has no money, then they

sill starve to death?

I went to the welfare office. A black lesbian woman (yes, really) gave me a slip good

for $3 at a certain store. She said to come back in a few days if I needed more. Later

I dealt with another welfare person and got more food stamps. That was after I became

unemployed.

hoppy;1227913 wrote: Later, when I got a better gun I potted plenty of deer too. Had there been no deer, a steer or horse would have sufficed.

What's going on? Where did that black lesbian bit come from?
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Bill Sikes;1227914 wrote:

Originally Posted by Bill Sikes

Is it really true to say that in the 'States, if a family has no money, then they

still starve to death?

I went to the welfare office. A black lesbian woman (yes, really) gave me a slip good

for $3 at a certain store. She said to come back in a few days if I needed more. Later

I dealt with another welfare person and got more food stamps. That was after I became

unemployed.

Bill Sikes;1227914 wrote: What's going on? Where did that black lesbian bit come from?

I don't know where the hell she come from Bill. But, she got her a$$ fired after DHS got enough complaints about her. Last I knew, she was night clerk at a stop-an-rob in a nearby town.
Oops

Post by Oops »

still starve to death?

unemployed.

What's going on? Where did that black lesbian bit come from?

im glad its not just me :-3
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

hoppy;1227915 wrote: I don't know where the hell she come from Bill.

I think you are distorting the truth, so I'll let you go now.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hoppy my dad is very much like yourself.

this horse thing though . either people are very desperate or there is a vendetta going on. If you were going to steal because you are starving you'd be taking a little more than what has been mentioned here.

I think insurance fraud is probably on the money here . In this economical climate horses can't be sold . If you have a good horse that you can't feed then what do you do? No one is buying.

From the comments I read after the article it doesn't sound like a very nice place to live.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Bill Sikes;1227918 wrote: I think you are distorting the truth, so I'll let you go now.

Unless you lived where I did in the '70's, don't you dare call me a liar.:mad:
cars

Post by cars »

These individuals sound more like "monsters", rather then hungary poeple! To chop off the horse's legs while it was still alive is barbaric to say the least!!! :-5

(PS: "Red" it's great to see you in here again!!:))
Cars :)
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you, Cars.:-6

Oops and Bill Sikes- nope, it's not just you. I'm shaking my head too.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

cars;1227941 wrote: These individuals sound more like "monsters", rather then hungary poeple! To chop off the horse's legs while it was still alive is barbaric to say the least!!! :-5

(PS: "Red" it's great to see you in here again!!:))

Where did it say the horses were alive when butchered?
cars

Post by cars »

hoppy;1227948 wrote: Where did it say the horses were alive when butchered?
See post #9
Cars :)
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

"South Florida news media were quick to pick up on the story of Geronimo, a quarter horse stolen from its pasture and later found tied to a palm tree and slaughtered in March.

Then the two Miramar horses were found slaughtered at their ranch in May. Then, on June 19, another in Miami-Dade was found tied to a tree and dismembered."

Some Speculate That Killed Horses Are Being Used for Their Meat | theledger.com | The Ledger | Lakeland, FL
Odie

Post by Odie »

Rodriguez printed up fliers.

"I gave one to a gentleman who said they found his horse in a ditch," butchered. ‘‘This guy actually had pictures of [killings] throughout the Redland."

Rodriguez stayed hopeful until March 5, when her father found Geronimo's remains in a nearby pasture. He recognized the horse's distinctive head marking.

Someone had tied Geronimo to a palm tree and dismembered him. Rodriguez said that blood still stains the tree.

if the horse was dead, he wouldn't have tied it to a tree.

****ing bastards!:-5:-5
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Odie;1227965 wrote: Rodriguez printed up fliers.

"I gave one to a gentleman who said they found his horse in a ditch," butchered. ‘‘This guy actually had pictures of [killings] throughout the Redland."

Rodriguez stayed hopeful until March 5, when her father found Geronimo's remains in a nearby pasture. He recognized the horse's distinctive head marking.

Someone had tied Geronimo to a palm tree and dismembered him. Rodriguez said that blood still stains the tree.

****ing bastards!:-5:-5

Exactly!
Odie

Post by Odie »

Mustang;1227967 wrote: Exactly!

I cannot understand how men can do this?:lips:
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

hoppy;1227940 wrote: Unless you lived where I did in the '70's, don't you dare call me a liar.:mad:

Hoppy dear, I don't think YOU lived where you think you did in the 70's. Are you actually trying to say that you walked into a welfare office and had to acknowedge that the lady was lesbian before she'd give you a $3 coupon?:rolleyes:

Or did she have on one of those black lesbian power tshirts?:-2
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1227965 wrote:

I do not condone the actions of who/whatever is doing this in the least - *but* it is likely that the horse was tied to a tree so that it could be stunned/bled easily. Any animal that is fatally struck, but not immediately killed (e.g. by a knife through a major vessel) will go like anything in the last seconds available. I would far prefer this as an explanation for the tying-up, for at least two reasons.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Bill Sikes;1228001 wrote: I do not condone the actions of who/whatever is doing this in the least - *but* it is likely that the horse was tied to a tree so that it could be stunned/bled easily. Any animal that is fatally struck, but not immediately killed (e.g. by a knife through a major vessel) will go like anything in the last seconds available. I would far prefer this as an explanation for the tying-up, for at least two reasons.

-however it was done, its animal cruelty.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Money is the root of all EVIL..!! some will do anything for it. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Mustang

Post by Mustang »

hoppy;1227913 wrote: Well, I've been hungry enough to bend the law to feed my family and myself. For a bit, I wasn't earning much, jobs were scarce, so after work in the evenings I rid the cemetaries of rabbits and squirrels. I used a air gun or a .22 with CB cartridges. Very quiet but powerful enough. We grew enough veggies, just couldn't afford much meat. Any day off was spent fishing.

Later, when I got a better gun I potted plenty of deer too. Had there been no deer, a steer or horse would have sufficed.

What you described is poaching. Goes on all the time even in this day and age. But I've never heard of anybody that would shoot someone's horse to consume it. I've known of cases where horses get shot in their pasture just for spite.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

flopstock;1227997 wrote: Hoppy dear, I don't think YOU lived where you think you did in the 70's. Are you actually trying to say that you walked into a welfare office and had to acknowedge that the lady was lesbian before she'd give you a $3 coupon?:rolleyes:

Or did she have on one of those black lesbian power tshirts?:-2

Do you have a reading comprehension disability? I went to get a bit of help with groceries. The woman handling that just happened to be a black woman. It was a well known fact around town that she was a lesbian. She gave large handouts to minorities and gays. If you were a white, straight male, you got a minimum. And I was not the only straight white male to note this. This took place from mid '60's to mid 70's in small town USA where everybody knows everybody.

I don't give a rat's a$$ who believes what. I know where I was and what I did.
Patsy Warnick

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hoppy

so true - I so relate to your story... I know your not lying.

what I don't understand from this horse nightmare is

WHY DIDN'T "THEY" JUST TAKE THE HORSE..?

Patsy
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

hoppy;1227888 wrote: Well, what do you expect? People are unemployed, more every week. They are getting desperate, even hungry as they wait for one of the millions of new jobs Obama has created. Expect a lot more illegal activities like that and livestock rustling.

Above was my original post, a response to all the boo hooing over a dead horse. Personally, I would never kill a horse for food when there are so many more suitable critters about. People killing horses for meat are too lazy to hunt. I would shoot them on sight.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

My mistake was, I stupidly related some of my own experiences and was called a liar. Most likely by people who never had to live by their wits and skills when the chips were down.

But, we all come from different backgrounds, times and places. I've lived in places where the streets were dirt or graveled. Where the only bar in town was surrounded by tractors and trucks on Saturday afternoons. Where, as a child, it was not a rare sight to see a horse drawn wagon rumble down the street, or a horse and rider. One guy, a friend of my gramps, saw me watching wide eyed as he drove by. I was 5 I think. He stopped and asked if I thought I could handle a team. Could I. He let me drive for a couple blocks. I thought I died and went to heaven.

Because your life was different than mine, don't call me a liar. If you did that to my face, we'd have to fight.
Odie

Post by Odie »

hoppy;1228155 wrote: My mistake was, I stupidly related some of my own experiences and was called a liar. Most likely by people who never had to live by their wits and skills when the chips were down.

But, we all come from different backgrounds, times and places. I've lived in places where the streets were dirt or graveled. Where the only bar in town was surrounded by tractors and trucks on Saturday afternoons. Where, as a child, it was not a rare sight to see a horse drawn wagon rumble down the street, or a horse and rider. One guy, a friend of my gramps, saw me watching wide eyed as he drove by. I was 5 I think. He stopped and asked if I thought I could handle a team. Could I. He let me drive for a couple blocks. I thought I died and went to heaven.

Because your life was different than mine, don't call me a liar. If you did that to my face, we'd have to fight.

I believe you hoppy!

We used to have our milk delivered by horse and wagon, I used to run out to pat the horse everyday. They sold milk, 1 quart in glass bottles, with the cream on top, and we took that off.

......and we lived on a dirt road.

our town had a grocery store, gas station and a tiny restaurant with just stools, and the best home-made shakes.

we all come from different backgrounds.;)
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

[quote=Oops;1227894]

I'd rather starve to death, or chop bits off myself (ok maybe not the last part)

Acclimate yourself by nibbling the flesh from around your fingernails then work your way up to limbs and other edibles.
I AM AWESOME MAN
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

What a character. :thinking:
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

hoppy;1228155 wrote: My mistake was, I stupidly related some of my own experiences and was called a liar. Most likely by people who never had to live by their wits and skills when the chips were down.

No way are you a Liar. It's no different to the famine in Ireland my ancesters faced when they would have to kill what-ever to feed their families.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oops

Post by Oops »

I dont think anybody thought you were a liar. If you look right back to the start of the thread something strange happened to some of the quotes and it made it look like Bill had written something that wasnt there before. Thats why he asked where had it come from. I think thats where the confusion came from :)
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Oops;1228278 wrote: I dont think anybody thought you were a liar. If you look right back to the start of the thread something strange happened to some of the quotes and it made it look like Bill had written something that wasnt there before. Thats why he asked where had it come from. I think thats where the confusion came from : )

Thank you. I also notice that an earlier post of mine has been Moderator-edited "to remove the mess of qotes", which were not a mess, but constructed precisely, to maintain accuracy. My post now in no way conveys the original intention. It's been mucked up.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

RedGlitter;1228235 wrote: What a character. :thinking:

I'm a character? Reread some of your own babblings.

Return to “General Chit Chat”