Did they really say this?!

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Quotes from Some Famous People regarding a whole lot of religion.....

Blabbermouths and Fatheads
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, I suppose that's what I understand by the phrase "religious right". Scary people.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

As a foreigner I don't trust myself to comment. It would be instructive to see how your fellow American FGers react to your post, Red Glitter.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Ah yes. It's the old "what's right is now evil and what's evil is now right" switcheroo.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I don't understand that, Hoppy. But hey, it's late here... and in the shower I was thinking..

Every country has its lunatic fringe, and I guess if someon with an agenda selects from what they say, a list like this might happen... And lunatic fringes are not representative of a whole big country, where most of the population is reasonably rational, informed and well meaning at least most of the time.. Even ordinary good people have bad moments, too, and if you select their utterances just during these bad moments, you can convey a skewed picture.

Can you imagine trawling through all the posts ever made in FG, isolating them on nationality, then cutting and pasting the dirtiest linen from the worst hair days we've all had???? Non FGers (with no other reference points) might get a slightly warped view of Wales, or Scotland or Australia etc...

G'night!!!

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I'd like to research some of this to see if their comments were accurately quoted and in what context. Then I'd like to slap Rush Limbaugh up the side of his stupid head! :mad:
Victoria

Post by Victoria »

Lunatics taking over the asylum... its scary

Britain banned Gert Wilders but welcomed President Bush!

I bet Gert and GW would get on just fine give them a padded cell together it would solve a lot of problems and rid the world of two loonies in one go.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Zapata;1234769 wrote: I'd like to research some of this to see if their comments were accurately quoted and in what context. Then I'd like to slap Rush Limbaugh up the side of his stupid head! :mad:

Right on, about the accuracy and context.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

hoppy;1234746 wrote: Ah yes. It's the old "what's right is now evil and what's evil is now right" switcheroo.

After reading those statements this is what you say?

Is that who you are? Really?

Wow.

Its always a little shocking to me when I actually meet someone that subscribes to bigotry and racism and just proudly blurts it right out.

Ive met these people before and my reaction is always the same, just wow.
I AM AWESOME MAN
gmc

Post by gmc »

How widespread and influential are these kinds of opinions in the United states?
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

gmc;1234792 wrote: How widespread and influential are these kinds of opinions in the United states?

Who knows?

Its a degrading representation no matter how many.
I AM AWESOME MAN
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Nomad;1234783 wrote: After reading those statements this is what you say?

Is that who you are? Really?

Wow.

Its always a little shocking to me when I actually meet someone that subscribes to bigotry and racism and just proudly blurts it right out.

Ive met these people before and my reaction is always the same, just wow.

And you believe those statements without checking the accuracy or context? WOW. You blindly believe everything the 'crats put in front of you.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Kay O'Connor (Kansas Senate Republican)

"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women today, we wouldn't have to vote."

:rolleyes:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

along-for-the-ride;1234868 wrote: Kay O'Connor (Kansas Senate Republican)

"I'm an old-fashioned woman. Men should take care of women, and if men were taking care of women today, we wouldn't have to vote."

What does that mean? If her husband (I don't know if she's got one or not) was taking care of her she wouldn't be a senator? Or if given the choice, she would deny women the right to vote and hope that their husbands wised up?
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

along-for-the-ride;1234868 wrote: Kay O'Connor (Kansas Senate Republican)

Zapata;1234874 wrote: What does that mean? If her husband (I don't know if she's got one or not) was taking care of her she wouldn't be a senator? Or if given the choice, she would deny women the right to vote and hope that their husbands wised up?

I can't believe she actually said that! What a hyprocite! It really galls me when prominent women make these asinine statements.:-5:-5
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Strange the ones ya'll dredge up to examine out of that pile of crap you had to choose from. That's what says so much.

Clearly (to me) she's saying that men screwed up in what they were supposed to do, so the women have to come in and put it to right. If men hadn't screwed up in the first place, there wouldn't be anything for them to fix.

She's saying a positive about women, for chrissakes.

But ... the site had the effect the author was likely looking for.

Red and asked the right question. Without that answer, all this rage is stupid.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Accountable;1234920 wrote: Strange the ones ya'll dredge up

That was my thought too. I hardly noticed that amongst the other things allegedly said. It was sort of the least worry.

But why promulgate such apparently shameful statements by your own people??? Especially in a forum where there are already tensions based on national divisions???? Outsiders usually see Americans as Americans first, undefined by their current political allegiances. So this is somehow an indictment of all Americans.

We foreigners need to keep telling ourselves that we all probably know a lot of Americans personally, and none (or very few) of them, very thankfully, are at all like this.

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

AussiePam;1234937 wrote: That was my thought too. I hardly noticed that amongst the other things allegedly said. It was sort of the least worry.

But why promulgate such apparently shameful statements by your own people??? Especially in a forum where there are already tensions based on national divisions???? Outsiders usually see Americans as Americans first, undefined by their current political allegiances. So this is somehow an indictment of all Americans.

We foreigners need to keep telling ourselves that we all probably know a lot of Americans personally, and none (or very few) of them, very thankfully, are at all like this.

I posted it because I found it interesting. And FG can use some interesting material.

I don't see it as divisive or an "indictment of all Americans" by any means. I see it as ignorance perpetuated and that is not peculiar to Americans.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

RedGlitter;1234938 wrote: I posted it because I found it interesting. And FG can use some interesting material.

I don't see it as divisive or an "indictment of all Americans" by any means. I see it as ignorance perpetuated and that is not peculiar to Americans.

Yes, to the first!!

I'm not sure about the second though. I think most of the views expressed are very much peculiar to Americans. (Though ignorance, is of course, international). And it's hearing that kind of talk that makes foreigners recoil. BUT what I was trying to say, was that the views expressed by those people quoted, if they are true at all, may well not be representative of views of the people quoted - but may come from one bad hair day... And that, even more, if this is how those 30 or so individual people do think, they are not, I hope, a representative sample of how all 300 million or so Americans view life, the universe, everything.

:-6

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Well that's why the piece should be taken with a grain of salt although I remember hearing a few of those quotes, especially the one from Laura Schlessenger ("Dr. Laura")

I think you know Pam, that I haven't traveled much, but it surprises me that other people would attribute this stuff to all Americans. Surely there exists racism and homophobia and religious zealotry in other countries? Maybe not so much, I don't know.

I'm sure there are statistics somewhere regarding how many Americans think these types of things but I don't know how they could be counted as accurate. I don't *think* most of us feel like some of those quoted but frighteningly, enough do. You know, those people quoted have loads of followers, and that's scary.

I just came across it this morning and maybe it was all that negativity and ignorance on one page that made the impression on me. If you alter the URL it takes you to the main site which appears to be more or less about what religion can do to people. No, that's wrong. I don't mean religion as a whole, I mean to say religion that's been tainted and twisted and verges on hatred. But if nothing else it's amusing in a sad way.

:)
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

RedGlitter;1234949 wrote: Well that's why the piece should be taken with a grain of salt although I remember hearing a few of those quotes, especially the one from Laura Schlessenger ("Dr. Laura")

I think you know Pam, that I haven't traveled much, but it surprises me that other people would attribute this stuff to all Americans. Surely there exists racism and homophobia and religious zealotry in other countries? Maybe not so much, I don't know.

I don't recognise many of the people quoted, Red.. but you know what they say. The empty vessels make the most noise, and these kind of strident, hopefully minority views get wide overseas coverage. Put in the pot right now along with some of the more paranoid components of current debates on health etc and you've got enough to make most foreigners just scratch their heads. (Of course nobody cares what anyone outside the country thinks and foreigners should all be nuked anyway ... etc)

I'm sure there are statistics somewhere regarding how many Americans think these types of things but I don't know how they could be counted as accurate. I don't *think* most of us feel like some of those quoted but frighteningly, enough do. You know, those people quoted have loads of followers, and that's scary.

Very frightening if that is the case. I can't believe it is though.

I just came across it this morning and maybe it was all that negativity and ignorance on one page that made the impression on me. If you alter the URL it takes you to the main site which appears to be more or less about what religion can do to people. No, that's wrong. I don't mean religion as a whole, I mean to say religion that's been tainted and twisted and verges on hatred. But if nothing else it's amusing in a sad way.

:)

On the last part, I absolutely agree. In fact, the extreme religious fundamentalist lunatic fringe, to me at least, all seem equally abhorrent - Jew, Muslim or Christian. They alone fully know the mind of God who they seem to have recreated in their own small, hate-filled image. They will not tolerate any view other than their own and salivate with unholy joy at the thought of everyone else burning in everlasting hell fire... Hubris was the sin in the ancient myth which got the Evil Angel kicked out of heaven in the first place.

May we all learn to walk in the light !!

:-6

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1234752 wrote: I don't understand that, Hoppy. But hey, it's late here... and in the shower I was thinking..

Every country has its lunatic fringe, and I guess if someon with an agenda selects from what they say, a list like this might happen... And lunatic fringes are not representative of a whole big country, where most of the population is reasonably rational, informed and well meaning at least most of the time.. Even ordinary good people have bad moments, too, and if you select their utterances just during these bad moments, you can convey a skewed picture.

Can you imagine trawling through all the posts ever made in FG, isolating them on nationality, then cutting and pasting the dirtiest linen from the worst hair days we've all had???? Non FGers (with no other reference points) might get a slightly warped view of Wales, or Scotland or Australia etc...

G'night!!!

Well said Pam. I agree with you 100%.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Hi Kathy !!! And thanks, Honey! You are a shining example of a fine American woman.

I'm glad people feel free to speak their minds, but it's usually the small unpleasant minorities who shout most shrilly, and are therefore most heard. Freedom of speech somehow gives undue emphasis to fringe views.

Wanna go to Klees. I'm buying?

:sneaky:

You come too, Red Glitter - we'll see who can dance the best jig. After say, four cosmos!!!

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1234999 wrote: Hi Kathy !!! And thanks, Honey! You are a shining example of a fine American woman.

I'm glad people feel free to speak their minds, but it's usually the small unpleasant minorities who shout most shrilly, and are therefore most heard. Freedom of speech somehow gives undue emphasis to fringe views.

Wanna go to Klees. I'm buying?

:sneaky:

You come too, Red Glitter - we'll see who can dance the best jig. After say, four cosmos!!!

Yes, let's all go to Klees with the bees. In fact, I was supposed to go yesterday, but I was too busy. So, I am going today for a late lunch. If you're buying, I'm there:wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Count me in. I've got some house moving stuff first.. grin... maybe you'd like to come with us to Ikea and Target and help with the nesting. Then it's a swim, followed by pizza and cosmos and other merriment!! :sneaky:

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1235038 wrote: Count me in. I've got some house moving stuff first.. grin... maybe you'd like to come with us to Ikea and Target and help with the nesting. Then it's a swim, followed by pizza and cosmos and other merriment!! :sneaky:

I'm in...that sounds perfect. I love Targets~pizza~cosmos~ocean~merriment:yh_rotfl
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Accountable;1234920 wrote: Strange the ones ya'll dredge up to examine out of that pile of crap you had to choose from. That's what says so much.

Clearly (to me) she's saying that men screwed up in what they were supposed to do, so the women have to come in and put it to right. If men hadn't screwed up in the first place, there wouldn't be anything for them to fix.

She's saying a positive about women, for chrissakes.

But ... the site had the effect the author was likely looking for.

Red and asked the right question. Without that answer, all this rage is stupid.

I thought about this a great deal, after I got over the 'fight or flight' reaction. I thought that perhaps she did mean this in a different way than I had interpreted it so I decided to check its accuracy (as I meant to do on most of the statements. Some are so abhorrent I don't think I'll botherwith them) so I googled it and came up with this:

http://christianparty.net/kayoconnor.htm

I stand by my original thoughts. She would take the vote away from women if given the chance to do so!
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Zapata;1235073 wrote: I thought about this a great deal, after I got over the 'fight or flight' reaction. I thought that perhaps she did mean this in a different way than I had interpreted it so I decided to check its accuracy (as I meant to do on most of the statements. Some are so abhorrent I don't think I'll botherwith them) so I googled it and came up with this:

Senator Kay O'Connor opposes the 19th Amendment

I stand by my original thoughts. She would take the vote away from women if given the chance to do so!

I just read the article...scary indeed. It does send the wrong message to women...don't use your mind indeed...be an appendage to your husband. This isn't the stepford wives club is it?:thinking:
gmc

Post by gmc »

RedGlitter;1234938 wrote: I posted it because I found it interesting. And FG can use some interesting material.

It is interesting-your christian right is something we don't really have here-well we do but they are on the fringe. It's interesting as to how influential they really are. outside of the presidents the only one I had heard of is pat robertson who is well known for trying to ban the teletubbies because he thought the purple one was gay which caused much hilarity if I remember correctly.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

gmc;1235124 wrote: It is interesting-your christian right is something we don't really have here-well we do but they are on the fringe. It's interesting as to how influential they really are. outside of the presidents the only one I had heard of is pat robertson who is well known for trying to ban the teletubbies because he thought the purple one was gay which caused much hilarity if I remember correctly.

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl Yes, he said purple was the "gay" color & he carried a pink purse...it was just as funny here also. I'm surprised he didn't go after Barney:wah:
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Oddly enough, a lot of us consider Robertson and his ilk to be fringe dwellers too. The Teletubbies thing was ridiculous and sort of amusing I thought. All these people push my buttons. I don't like other people's pseudo-morality dumped all over me. Remember Jerry Falwell and the hooker? Yeah there's a guy I'm gonna listen to. But a lot of people did. Whenever I hear someone go on about how America is a God-fearing country and was founded on christian principles I get itchy. And this collection of examples is one reason why.
gmc

Post by gmc »

The other funny one was those who wanted to ban Harry Potter in case it attracted people to witchcraft. They don't seem to have objected to films like Twilight which glamorises an very unwholesome lifestyle. We do have our own share of religious nutters you know it's just america seems to take theirs seriously.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

gmc;1235157 wrote: The other funny one was those who wanted to ban Harry Potter in case it attracted people to witchcraft. They don't seem to have objected to films like Twilight which glamorises an very unwholesome lifestyle. We do have our own share of religious nutters you know it's just america seems to take theirs seriously.

This country just goes overboard...the religious nuts also won't go to Disney world because they give benefits to same sex couples. Horrors:wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

[QUOTE=Accountable;1234920]Strange the ones ya'll dredge up to examine out of that pile of crap you had to choose from. That's what says so much. QUOTE]

Oh, you are so right!! I had a chance to read over ALL the quotes listed and I can't believe all the garbage filled thoughts and hate-motivated words spewing out of some of those narrow minded idiots who are viewing life and its issues with bigoted tunnel vision!

I made a list and marked each one with my initial thoughts. I starred some of them to check out further. I didn't recognize all the names on the list. I didn't understand some of them. Most of them I've never bothered to listen to what they were saying. I can't believe that people actually LISTEN to some of them and believe what they're hearing. My comments include: Opinion, confused, uninformed, idiot, insane, narrow-minded zealot, etc..
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Zapata;1235172 wrote: [quote=Accountable;1234920]Strange the ones ya'll dredge up to examine out of that pile of crap you had to choose from. That's what says so much. QUOTE]

Oh, you are so right!! I had a chance to read over ALL the quotes listed and I can't believe all the garbage filled thoughts and hate-motivated words spewing out of some of those narrow minded idiots who are viewing life and its issues with bigoted tunnel vision!

I made a list and marked each one with my initial thoughts. I starred some of them to check out further. I didn't recognize all the names on the list. I didn't understand some of them. Most of them I've never bothered to listen to what they were saying. I can't believe that people actually LISTEN to some of them and believe what they're hearing. My comments include: Opinion, confused, uninformed, idiot, insane, narrow-minded zealot, etc..

:wah: Not sure why but that tickled me. I like the things you post, Zapata. You're refreshing. :)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Zapata;1235172 wrote: [QUOTE=Accountable;1234920]Strange the ones ya'll dredge up to examine out of that pile of crap you had to choose from. That's what says so much. QUOTE]

Uneducated is mine:wah:
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Taking time out from my rampage to say, Aw shucks! . ..Thanks. Funny, I was going to thank you for an eye-opening, thought-provoking post this morning that's kept me occupied all day. So, thanks.:)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Zapata;1235176 wrote: Taking time out from my rampage to say, Aw shucks! . ..Thanks. Funny, I was going to thank you for an eye-opening, thought-provoking post this morning that's kept me occupied all day. So, thanks.:)

Yes, it was a very thought provoking post...I looked at a few of the websites these peeps represent. Very nutty websites.
RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Zapata;1235176 wrote: Taking time out from my rampage to say, Aw shucks! . ..Thanks. Funny, I was going to thank you for an eye-opening, thought-provoking post this morning that's kept me occupied all day. So, thanks.:)

Aw! Thank you Zapata and Ducks. I appreciate that. :-6
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

RedGlitter;1235181 wrote: Aw! Thank you Zapata and Ducks. I appreciate that. :-6

I think the dems should post these wacky things on their websites so peeps can really see what the other side's true agenda is.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

qsducks;1235175 wrote: [QUOTE=Zapata;1235172]

Uneducated is mine:wah:
And uninformed & misinformed
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Zapata;1235191 wrote: [QUOTE=qsducks;1235175]

And uninformed & misinformed

but uneducated the most...these peeps do not go for higher education...like engaging their brains into more thoughtful topics...
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

RedGlitter;1235181 wrote: Aw! Thank you Zapata and Ducks. I appreciate that. :-6

Me too, Red!! Made me think. I liked your dog appreciation thread too. I swear I smiled at every canine friend I encountered!! And some of them smiled back.

Have a good weekend. I'm helping daughter move to a new flat... just in between loads now.

qsducks

Post by qsducks »

AussiePam;1235214 wrote: Me too, Red!! Made me think. I liked your dog appreciation thread too. I swear I smiled at every canine friend I encountered!! And some of them smiled back.

Have a good weekend. I'm helping daughter move to a new flat... just in between loads now.

You too Pam & daughter...will your daughter be living near you?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Ten hours later, I'm dead.... but she's moved in and will have tomorrow to sort her stuff there. We set up the fridge and TV, constructed the table and chairs, bought a bed, and plants for the balcony, then went to Target to get sheets, towels, china, cutlery etc. Finishing up at the grocery store.. forgot, we found a sofa too. Enough already. She's only a couple of miles away. We'll all meet again in an hour, walk to the pub, have a glass of beer (wine for me) and an early pizza, then crash big time.

RedGlitter

Post by RedGlitter »

Thank you Pam, I'm very glad you liked it. :) You have a cool weekend too!
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1235307 wrote: Ten hours later, I'm dead.... but she's moved in and will have tomorrow to sort her stuff there. We set up the fridge and TV, constructed the table and chairs, bought a bed, and plants for the balcony, then went to Target to get sheets, towels, china, cutlery etc. Finishing up at the grocery store.. forgot, we found a sofa too. Enough already. She's only a couple of miles away. We'll all meet again in an hour, walk to the pub, have a glass of beer (wine for me) and an early pizza, then crash big time.

Oh Pam,

You poor dear....I remember those days of moving, shelping, hauling...yada...yada.....It's tough on the body and soul for sure.

I'm so happy for R and that she's so close to you. Crash time must sound good to you. Have a good sleep. You deserve it.:-4

I'm cybering over to join you for the pizza and beer....Please order a frothy Smithwicks for me:D
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Just woke up...rain again.:-5 Seems like every flippin weeend it rains.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Hi Ducky, Red, Kathy - I slept for 9 hours!!!! Bit stiff this morning after all the "schlepping" but smiling. It's sunny but quite windy. Gonna chill a bit I think. Will probably get the ferry to the beach as usual for a Sunday and sit on the sand.

Then I have a weird chore - I got asked to translate two knitting patterns into English. A girlfriend told me she only ever buys the Marie Claire magazine in French (why, when she doesn't speak the language and it's available here in English too???) and so .... It's pages and pages... the French isn't a problem, the knitting jargon is. I don't knit, not nohow... Priez pour moi! :sneaky:

ekotter

Post by ekotter »

If I had time I would like to research some of these quotes and see how accurate they are. I'm willing to bet a lot of them are not accurate, taken out of context, or just completely false.

Return to “General Chit Chat”