Irresistable Beer at Landfill

Discuss the latest political news.
Peg

Post by Peg »

Two Columbia sanitation workers who apparently couldn't stand by and let beer go down the drain allegedly took dozens of cases of expired brew from the city landfill. Police and city supervisors are trying to determine if the salvage was a crime — theft of city property — or just a policy violation.

Margrace Buckler, the city's human resource director, said two Solid Waste Division workers, who haven't been identified, brought a city pickup truck to the landfill and hauled off about 50 cases of the beer.

FullStory
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

Saw this on the news.

It'll be interesting to find out the outcome of this. I guess one man's garbage isn't another man's treasure, eh?! :wah:
Peg

Post by Peg »

I have no problem with them taking garbage, but I do understand the city's point also.
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I'm surprised that the beer wasn't drained from the bottles/cans and the bottles/cans recycled. Most cities are into recycling. What's with this city not recycling?

The city could also have used a trash compactor when they picked up this beer and crushed it. Then, it wouldn't have been available for anyone to steal.

It's easier for the city to put blame elsewhere when they should be taking ownership in this issue.

Perhaps this issue will be an eye opener for the city and they will come up with a better solution in the future, on how to dispose of out dated beer.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Mustang;1304235 wrote: I'm surprised that the beer wasn't drained from the bottles/cans and the bottles/cans recycled. Most cities are into recycling. What's with this city not recycling?

The city could also have used a trash compactor when they picked up this beer and crushed it. Then, it wouldn't have been available for anyone to steal.

It's easier for the city to put blame elsewhere when they should be taking ownership in this issue.

Perhaps this issue will be an eye opener for the city and they will come up with a better solution in the future, on how to dispose of out dated beer.
The city would have payed workers to do this over anywhere from 2 hours(of roughly 5 workers) to all day(of one worker) all together taking a couple of hundred dollars out of city hands to then need to waste more resources to get that money back causing more environmental waste when all they needed to do was pitch it while all of it is readily available to grasp as box cases furnished with handles? Not a question in mind.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Hard to imagine out-dated beer in a college town.

These kids aren't keeping up.

I love some of the quotable material in this article:

It's not unusual for people to want to take some beer, Priesmeyer said.

Hmm.

City officials say they still don't know what happened to the beer.

I can't imagine, either. :thinking:
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I think that this is funny.....
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I think I've put this here before but when my dad worked for the Board of Works they had to take a load of pipes to the tip......guess who turned up at the same time as they did? Cadburys and Peters' Ice-cream..........We loved daddy that day.:wah::wah::wah:

I have to admit I've been the recipient of corn from a truck roll over, and chickens and beer. all I was told is that they fell off the back of a truck ...sometimes it really is the truth.:wah:
ProjectCarTV

Post by ProjectCarTV »

I cant get over diapers and city dump enough to warrant grabbing used expired Old Milwaukee. Yuck.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

Damn this thread. I haven't had a beer in over a week. Now, I'd kill for even a cheap can of suds.:(

Return to “Current Political Events”