Forum Garden's 'Hot Topics' of the week.

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Since these are the hot topics this week, why do some want them cancelled?

notice the replies?

members constantly posting?

» Hot Topics of the Week

WORD ASSOCIATION - Part III - (16140 replies)

Tlw - (11121 replies)

Odie's room! - (4960 replies)

The NEW Anything Random goes here Thread - (3999 replies)

What are you having or had for dinner? - (3387 replies)

WW3 - New World Order - Pole Shift - Age of Peace (2006-2012) - (2064 replies)

Gill's talk & mutter hut - (1712 replies)

my last letter is your first letter. - (1598 replies)

What pissed you off today........... - (1460 replies)

What's your weather like today? - (1325 replies)

The Jazzy Lounge - (1313 replies)

AFTR's Daily Commute - (889 replies)

icanhascheezburger - (883 replies)

Big Brother - (749 replies)

Words that start with B - (744 replies)

A-Z Words That End In (er) - (623 replies)

FG Trivia - (595 replies)

The Bible shifted some Gears in my mind. - (453 replies)

Occupations A-Z - (452 replies)

What movies have you seen lately? - (367 replies)
Life is just to short for drama.
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

not necessarily I believe the forum wants discussion to be social at times and have a lot of post, but at the same time threads should be civil and have a certain sense of serious too them, some may just be seen as going too off topic from the original theme of the thread , others may not have any real theme going for the thread at all, and of course some are pulled for the controversy caused bye the subject of the thread itself. Oh and their are the ones that have ended because either the subject has become boring or the last post on the thread made was so well thought out that no body replies to it.
Odie

Post by Odie »

littleCJelkton;1316424 wrote: not necessarily I believe the forum wants discussion to be social at times and have a lot of post, but at the same time threads should be civil and have a certain sense of serious too them, some may just be seen as going too off topic from the original theme of the thread , others may not have any real theme going for the thread at all, and of course some are pulled for the controversy caused bye the subject of the thread itself. Oh and their are the ones that have ended because either the subject has become boring or the last post on the thread made was so well thought out that no body replies to it.

of course we want threads that have discussions and we do have those, and most do go off topic and that is just normal.

and I fully agree, members should be civil at all times, there is no excuse not to be civil, we all have different ideas, thoughts, perspectives and those should be considered and we all have feelings.

some do get boring, no thread lasts forever......

what I said, is why do some want those 'hot topics cancelled?
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

Odie;1316426 wrote: of course we want threads that have discussions and we do have those, and most do go off topic and that is just normal.

and I fully agree, members should be civil at all times, there is no excuse not to be civil, we all have different ideas, thoughts, perspectives and those should be considered and we all have feelings.

what I said, is why do some want those 'hot topics cancelled?

As for the the rooms and games I can only deduct get canceled because of redundancy many of the games are the same with the same people moving from one two the next, and the forums of the rooms are another form of the persons own blog, and yes I agree that threads go off topic from time to time but I believe the forum admins don't want the chatroom style randomness. Look at the title of the place "ForumGarden.com Conversations of life" the statement conversations of life to me give a certain sense of seriousness to it that I believe the admins of this site want to maintain. So in the sense of that seriousness some threads that have just become random,and the subject of the thread is ambiguous. The admins probably feel that the thread has does not represent the type's of discussion, and/or the atmosphere wanted on the forum in which "Conversations of Life" is posted next to the name.
Odie

Post by Odie »

littleCJelkton;1316427 wrote: As for the the rooms and games I can only deduct get canceled because of redundancy many of the games are the same with the same people moving from one two the next, and the forums of the rooms are another form of the persons own blog, and yes I agree that threads go off topic from time to time but I believe the forum admins don't want the chatroom style randomness. Look at the title of the place "ForumGarden.com Conversations of life" the statement conversations of life to me give a certain sense of seriousness to it that I believe the admins of this site want to maintain. So in the sense of that seriousness some threads that have just become random,and the subject of the thread is ambiguous. The admins probably feel that the thread has does not represent the type's of discussion, and/or the atmosphere wanted on the forum in which "Conversations of Life" is posted next to the name.

You don't have your own room, so you would have no idea how much it means for us that talk everyday about different things, what comes up each day, happy and sad times, poems, literature, different counties and their different ways of lifestyles and just crazy fun and its our way of communicating with each other.

so what ideas do you have for threads?
littleCJelkton

Post by littleCJelkton »

Odie;1316430 wrote: You don't have your own room, so you would have no idea how much it means for us that talk everyday about different things, what comes up each day, happy and sad times, poems, literature, different counties and their different ways of lifestyles and just crazy fun and its our way of communicating with each other.

so what ideas do you have for threads?

I don't have my own room because I don't see the need for one on this site as I can talk everyday about different things, what comes up each day, happy and sad times, poems literature, different countries and their different ways of lifestyles, my views of things like love religion politics ect.., on any of the threads with out making my own room. I already have my own website, and profiles on different social networking, online gaming accounts of which give me the feelings that are similar tow what a room does. Again I believe this site wants to have a different atmosphere than that of a chat room, facebook, or myspace. Note that most of the threads you have mentioned in the above post are still active just not on the Hot topics of the week.
theia

Post by theia »

Odie, my opinion is just that, my opinion. Nothing makes it more right or more wrong than anyone else's opinion.

That said, my opinion is that seeing FG's main page sometimes half full of "words that end in...words that start in etc" is irritating. Why? Well, for me, I don't find them interesting or in any way challenging and, for me, it makes FG look like a dull, word game forum dominated by just a couple of members.

My opinion on the rooms...I've never thought they were a good idea. I preferred it when members posted their conversations on a variety of threads, it seemed more sociable and inclusive.

However, just because I don't like these particular threads doesnt mean I want to see them removed. I would much prefer that the main page displays all the general threads, and that the rooms, word games are accessed separately.

And, just because a thread may be well subscribed doesn't make it popular if only the few same members constantly post there. It doesn't necessarily reflect an overall popularity.

But, Odie, as I said, that's just one opinion amongst many.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
abbey

Post by abbey »

Odie;1316426 wrote: of course we want threads that have discussions and we do have those, and most do go off topic and that is just normal.

what I said, is why do some want those 'hot topics cancelled?Who wants the threads cancelled?
gmc

Post by gmc »

It looks like that thread it doesn't sparkle here any more has been pulled. Don't know why But it's a pity. What is wrong with people?

If you don't find a subject interesting, don,t look at it if you don't like games don't play them If you don't like someone ignore them. if someone tries to antagonise you don't let them, this is not real life. Anyway, I'm fed up now as well.
theia

Post by theia »

It has been put in the compost, gmc, but spot is tring hard to get it reinstated on the main board, which, in my opinion, is where it should be
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
rachard1583

Post by rachard1583 »

A wonderful effort to connect local organic farmers with local schools, with in the students in the Bolinas-Stinson Union School District will be served fresh food - meats and produce and dairy products - from Weber's fields and from all of Marin's organic farms. Bolinas School and Warren Weber's Star Route Farms are neighbors, sharing the same fence!
[Advertising Link removed]
gmc

Post by gmc »

theia;1316471 wrote: It has been put in the compost, gmc, but spot is tring hard to get it reinstated on the main board, which, in my opinion, is where it should be

To heck with it. I've enjoyed my time here but it seems it has died the death. time for pastures new I think

A wonderful effort to connect local organic farmers with local schools, with in the students in the Bolinas-Stinson Union School District will be served fresh food - meats and produce and dairy products - from Weber's fields and from all of Marin's organic farms. Bolinas School and Warren Weber's Star Route Farms are neighbors, sharing the same fence!

I feel so much better for knowing that.
theia

Post by theia »

gmc;1316478 wrote: To heck with it. I've enjoyed my time here but it seems it has died the death. time for pastures new I think

Hold on, just for a short while, gmc, this could all get sorted once that thread is back
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1316471 wrote: It has been put in the compost, gmc, but spot is tring hard to get it reinstated on the main board, which, in my opinion, is where it should be

Totally agree. Far too heavy handed as usual.

gmc, you aint goin' nowhere !!
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

I do think it can be brought back but there hasn't been a single mod online since I woke up this morning. Give me a while longer and we'll see where we get to.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

abbey;1316440 wrote: Who wants the threads cancelled?

I do. Want is such a soft word. Rather I command it. At once. Chop chop.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Out of curiosity, what is it exactly you are trying to accomplish, Theia, Snowfire, Kaz and Spot?

These same types of complaints about FG has been aired many times that I can recall.

The moderators are doing what they are told to do and the ownership obviously is not going to change his philosophy regarding policy. It is his forum regardless of how much vested interest you believe you have. What can you say? Thats life.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ahso

Attached files
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1316497 wrote: Out of curiosity, what is it exactly you are trying to accomplish, Theia, Snowfire, Kaz and Spot?

These same types of complaints about FG has been aired many times that I can recall.

The moderators are doing what they are told to do and the ownership obviously is not going to change his philosophy regarding policy. It is his forum regardless of how much vested interest you believe you have. What can you say? Thats life.

As you say, the moderators are doing what they are told to do. The objective is a change of moderation policy. I think the owner's more susceptible to reasoned argument than you give him credit for.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Odie

Post by Odie »

theia;1316432 wrote: Odie, my opinion is just that, my opinion. Nothing makes it more right or more wrong than anyone else's opinion.

That said, my opinion is that seeing FG's main page sometimes half full of "words that end in...words that start in etc" is irritating. Why? Well, for me, I don't find them interesting or in any way challenging and, for me, it makes FG look like a dull, word game forum dominated by just a couple of members.

My opinion on the rooms...I've never thought they were a good idea. I preferred it when members posted their conversations on a variety of threads, it seemed more sociable and inclusive.

However, just because I don't like these particular threads doesnt mean I want to see them removed. I would much prefer that the main page displays all the general threads, and that the rooms, word games are accessed separately.

And, just because a thread may be well subscribed doesn't make it popular if only the few same members constantly post there. It doesn't necessarily reflect an overall popularity.

But, Odie, as I said, that's just one opinion amongst many.

There are a variety of threads, what does it matter what is on home page?

everyone can find what they want quite easily.

There have been many times I have had to find what I am looking for and I don't mean word games or rooms, through searches, members who started certain threads and days like yesterday when there was only had a page and a half.

besides, again, what I brought up was 'hot topics' of the week and why some want them cancelled.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Its got nothing to do with reason or credit, its his forum and policy. You yourself have said you've brought this to his attention before and nothing has changed. Thats his choice and right.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1316491 wrote: I do think it can be brought back but there hasn't been a single mod online since I woke up this morning. Give me a while longer and we'll see where we get to.

and again, another thread goes off topic.:rolleyes:
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Ahso!;1316497 wrote: These same types of complaints about FG has been aired many times that I can recall.

Then don't you think that there may be something in them?
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Odie;1316505 wrote: and again, another thread goes off topic.:rolleyes:

"Thread drift". Threads do that.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1316504 wrote: Its got nothing to do with reason or credit, its his forum and policy. You yourself have said you've brought this to his attention before and nothing has changed. Thats his choice and right.

Unfortunately because of composting, you are unable to see Spots post in another thread, that highlights exactly what a lot of us percieve as problems with FG. Statistics show that this place is going downhill faster than a fast thing riding in a fast down hill vehicle, fastly. Memebrs are leaving and not returning. and a general feeling is that moderation should be tempered Its not unreasonable to want to know why this trend is happening and find a way of reversing it

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1316502 wrote: besides, again, what I brought up was 'hot topics' of the week and why some want them cancelled.
Nobody wants them cancelled!! You've got this bee in your bonnet but there's absolutely no posts anywhere that are asking for them to be cancelled, it's all in your head!
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Sikes;1316506 wrote: Then don't you think that there may be something in them?Absolutely, but only in the minds of those making the complaints. Each time this occurs the forum splits up into two sides, eventually settles down, simmers for a while and blows up again.

I don't like the policies either, but I'm not going to beat a dead horse.

Odie: This IS a hot topic so its not OFF topic.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Originally Posted by theia View Post

It has been put in the compost, gmc, but spot is tring hard to get it reinstated on the main board, which, in my opinion, is where it should be

gmc;1316478 wrote: To heck with it. I've enjoyed my time here but it seems it has died the death. time for pastures new I think

I think I agree with you.

Why was the "sparkle" thread composted? I will use any answer to this question - which I expecto to *be* answered - constructively in my decision referred to above.

I too may have to look for any reasonable alternative to this site.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Ahso!;1316514 wrote: Absolutely, but only in the minds of those making the complaints. Each time this occurs the forum splits up into two sides, eventually settles down, simmers for a while and blows up again.

And the forum constantly bleeds more posters. As I said before - "It doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?".
Odie

Post by Odie »

spot;1316510 wrote: Nobody wants them cancelled!! You've got this bee in your bonnet but there's absolutely no posts anywhere that are asking for them to be cancelled, it's all in your head!

I don't wear bonnets!:yh_rotfl

you suggested they be cancelled.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Snowfire;1316509 wrote: Unfortunately because of composting, you are unable to see Spots post in another thread, that highlights exactly what a lot of us percieve as problems with FG. Statistics show that this place is going downhill faster than a fast thing riding in a fast down hill vehicle, fastly. Memebrs are leaving and not returning. and a general feeling is that moderation should be tempered Its not unreasonable to want to know why this trend is happening and find a way of reversing itI had been following the thread. Spot makes good points and is probably more correct than not, but its not his forum.

All forums go downhill eventually. If you think you know how to resurrect this one, make an offer to buy it and implement your policies or start one yourselves, otherwise you're wasting your breath.

I understand many of you have a problem leaving the past behind, but sometimes life demands we do so.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Sikes;1316518 wrote: And the forum constantly bleeds more posters. As I said before - "It doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?".Sparkle fades.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
spot

Post by spot »

Odie;1316521 wrote: I don't wear bonnets!:yh_rotfl

No I didn't. I said the forum area for Word Games and for Hotels should not appear on the front page or Today's Posts. People who use them go into the forum area and bump each in turn, that's the way those areas were designed to be used. I've not suggested that any threads be merged and I've not suggested that any threads be cancelled.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

OK. I have looked up the "deleted" thread.

Doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it? - Page 29 - ForumGarden

There are more cached pages, of course, easily found.

Surely censoring individual posts would be more sensible, or censuring individual posters.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Originally Posted by Bill Sikes View Post

And the forum constantly bleeds more posters. As I said before - "It doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it?".

Ahso!;1316523 wrote: Sparkle fades.

It can also be shaken out. When your Champagne has lost its' sparkle, what you've got left is unappetising, and as dull as ditchwater. It might as well be thrown away.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Sikes;1316528 wrote: OK. I have looked up the "deleted" thread.

Doesn't often sparkle here these days, does it? - Page 29 - ForumGarden

There are more cached pages, of course, easily found.

Surely censoring individual posts would be more sensible, or censuring individual posters.If this LULU person is any indication of what former members think, you're wasting your time. She believes she is justifiably bitter about her FG past experience. Why in the world would you want to invite all that bitterness back - times, what, 50? Seriously!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Sikes;1316530 wrote: Originally Posted by Bill Sikes View Post

It can also be shaken out. When your Champagne has lost its' sparkle, what you've got left is unappetising, and as dull as ditchwater. It might as well be thrown away.But again, its not your decision. Its TS's and he has obviously made his.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Ahso!;1316534 wrote: If this LULU person is any indication of what former members think, you're wasting your time. She believes she is justifiably bitter about her FG past experience. Why in the world would you want to invite all that bitterness back - times, what, 50? Seriously!

I am not wasting my time. I provided that reference for information only. I don't care, except as a concerned fellow human being, what "LULU" thinks. I am not inviting her back.

Get yourself sorted out, and please do not assign to me thoughts or opinions not my own.
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

Originally Posted by Bill Sikes

(nonquote)

It can also be shaken out. When your Champagne has lost its' sparkle, what you've got left is unappetising, and as dull as ditchwater. It might as well be thrown away.

Ahso!;1316535 wrote: But again, its not your decision. Its TS's and he has obviously made his.

Are you a moderator, or TS's confidant? How do you know? There's many a slip between cup and lip - and between the top of the FG chain and the middle, administratively speaking.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Odie;1316521 wrote: I don't wear bonnets!:yh_rotfl

You cannot deny you have some ferocious killer bees buzzing about though. Dont even try.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Ahso!;1316534 wrote: If this LULU person is any indication of what former members think, you're wasting your time. She believes she is justifiably bitter about her FG past experience.

She is justifiably bitter but she's bothered enough to come in and discuss it. You don't remember, but I remember, Once is enough.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bill Sikes;1316543 wrote: Originally Posted by Bill Sikes

(nonquote)

Are you a moderator, or TS's confidant? How do you know? There's many a slip between cup and lip - and between the top of the FG chain and the middle, administratively speaking.Everyone on this board is TS's confidant concerning policy.

I've said my piece.

Good Luck!

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Ahso!;1316534 wrote: If this LULU person is any indication of what former members think, you're wasting your time. She believes she is justifiably bitter about her FG past experience. Why in the world would you want to invite all that bitterness back - times, what, 50? Seriously!

Sorry you are wrong. People like Lulu are precisely why people are bothering. I remember too

Winston Churchill
Odie

Post by Odie »

Nomad;1316544 wrote: You cannot deny you have some ferocious killer bees buzzing about though. Dont even try.

Oh I'm not denying that today!:yh_rotfl

good grief, you try and do a thread and its bombarded.:rolleyes:

never again, good nite!:lips::yh_rotfl
cars

Post by cars »

Bill Sikes;1316515 wrote: Originally Posted by theia View Post

I think I agree with you.

Why was the "sparkle" thread composted? I will use any answer to this question - which I expecto to *be* answered - constructively in my decision referred to above.

I too may have to look for any reasonable alternative to this site.
I have been on this site for many years, & I've seen many leave, & I've seen many return. Some return even under new screen names, but they untimately return. FG does get under your skin, and it is hard to do without, whether you want to admit it or not!!!

FG is one of the best forums around, "warts and all"!!!
Cars :)
theia

Post by theia »

cars;1316558 wrote: I have been on this site for many years, & I've seen many leave, & I've seen many return. Some return even under new screen names, but they untimately return. FG does get under your skin, and it is hard to do without, whether you want to admit it or not!!!

FG is one of the best forums around, "warts and all"!!!

What a heartwarming post, Cars.

You really are lovely :-6
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1316565 wrote: What a heartwarming post, Cars.

You really are lovely :-6

Theia. I think you and Betty should knit the members some pasties :D

Winston Churchill
theia

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1316579 wrote: Theia. I think you and Betty should knit the members some pasties :D

Don't you dare mention knitting to me, Snowfire!! Your betrayal still sticks in my throat, like a dagger in my heart...wounded to my very core...

knitting - huh!

In fact, it's just occurred to me...thats when FG started to go downhill. Members couldn't bear to witness the meaningless promises, the hurt, the tears and pain that you, yes you, Snowfire, caused this harmless, shivering woman. Thats when they started leaving in their droves! Ponder this a while...

:wah: just in case the current climate here makes me sound serious)
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

theia;1316584 wrote: Don't you dare mention knitting to me, Snowfire!! Your betrayal still sticks in my throat, like a dagger in my heart...wounded to my very core...

knitting - huh!

In fact, it's just occurred to me...thats when FG started to go downhill. Members couldn't bear to witness the meaningless promises, the hurt, the tears and pain that you, yes you, Snowfire, caused this harmless, shivering woman. Thats when they started leaving in their droves! Ponder this a while...

:wah: just in case the current climate here makes me sound serious)

I gave it a go, trying to find a size of needle that would suit the 5 thumbs I have on each hand. A pair of baseball bats doth not a sweater make. Not a wearable one anyway

My hands are more suited to large tasty pasty. My mouth is too

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

Snowfire;1316591 wrote: My hands are more suited to large tasty pasty. My mouth is tooYou could be a kissagram in your spare time with talents like that.

Return to “General Chit Chat”