New Zealand Aftershocks

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by Lon »

Email messages from some of my relies that have two story homes are saying that all of the family are sleeping on the ground floor due to the nightly 4.5 to 5.5 aftershocks that not only keeps them awake but continues to do some damage. Their homes sustained very minor damage as they are more recently built, but most of the older homes have had their chimneys knocked down as well as structural damage. Christchurch sustained all the damage and the Nelson area (where we now spend time when in NZ) felt nothing.Seems unusual that the after shocks continue for so long after the major quake.
ZAP

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by ZAP »

It's not unusual at all, Lon. We were still getting aftershocks that large a month after the Easter 7.2 quake that hit 50 miles from here. And on multiple faults. It's very scary! You wonder if it's going to be another big one. I thought they would never end, but it's settled down tremendously. I feel for those people.
fuzzywuzzy

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Makes it hard to get over the trauma of the first when it goes on for so long . I hope your reloes will be okay lon,
Rapunzel

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by Rapunzel »

With such large aftershocks I was going to say that the plates must still be moving, but ZAP pretty much answered it by saying there are shocks on multiple faults.

Unfortunately, the place where the quake initially occurred is directly over the subduction zone of the Pacific Plate and the Indo-Australian Plate, so it seems obvious that the area will be liable for quake activity.

It always amazes me when people say they have found new faults in the rock strata where earthquakes can occur.

I always picture the rock strata around the edge of Tectonic Plates to look like crackle glaze, it seems obvious to me that there are many many faults in the strata still waiting to be discovered and which will only be discovered when quake activity occurs along them.
Lon

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by Lon »

Rapunzel;1332171 wrote: With such large aftershocks I was going to say that the plates must still be moving, but ZAP pretty much answered it by saying there are shocks on multiple faults.

Unfortunately, the place where the quake initially occurred is directly over the subduction zone of the Pacific Plate and the Indo-Australian Plate, so it seems obvious that the area will be liable for quake activity.

It always amazes me when people say they have found new faults in the rock strata where earthquakes can occur.

I always picture the rock strata around the edge of Tectonic Plates to look like crackle glaze, it seems obvious to me that there are many many faults in the strata still waiting to be discovered and which will only be discovered when quake activity occurs along them.

This was taken 09/08/2010 ---- Considering after shocks are still occurring and closing previously opened gaps, this guy is nuts.

Attached files
Rapunzel

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by Rapunzel »

Lon;1332183 wrote: This was taken 09/08/2010 ---- Considering after shocks are still occurring and closing previously opened gaps, this guy is nuts.

What a total idiot! :-5

And doubly so for endangering his child's life! :-5
Lon

New Zealand Aftershocks

Post by Lon »

My daughter in NZ emailed these links to me re: the quakes

Christchurch Quake Map

What’s With Those Aftershocks?! | Shaken Not Stirred

Six months of seismic activity in under a minute | seeing data

Return to “General Chit Chat”