Face Book Addicts

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Face Book Addicts

Post by Lon »

Holy Hannah------Some of my kin are never off Facebook---they tell when they go to bed----get up-----what they ate---when they go to toilet---when they pray---what they pray for-----if the prayer was answered---every detail of their hour by hour life.

They run around with ear plugs via I Phone so as not to miss a beat. Yes I am on Facebook, but only to find out what is going on with family as they no longer phone or email, just communicate via Facebook. But ya know, there are things about their day that I just don't want to hear about. At least FORUM GARDEN is not that bad, so far. :wah:
Snowfire

Face Book Addicts

Post by Snowfire »

I've so far resisted all pressure to get a Facebook account. I'm lucky enough to live close enough to all my family that I can get to see and talk to them all the time.

Truth is, I cant be arsed with all that hassle
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
chonsigirl

Face Book Addicts

Post by chonsigirl »

It seems such a boring thing to have, I would rather have a real visit or a phone call. If I am reduced to looking at their web page, then the

relationship is really not there.
along-for-the-ride

Face Book Addicts

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I know what you mean, Lon. Atleast, I do get a glimpse of my family on FB as well. If I want to visit them, it seems that FB is the place to go. (They all live a good distance from me) This is the primary reason I signed up.

I do hope my FG friends who are on FB understand that I don't always have time to respond to them there.

Today, a young in-law tagged me in an unflattering candid photo, which I promptly untagged. Geesh!
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
G#Gill

Face Book Addicts

Post by G#Gill »

I refuse to use Facebook. There are so many hassles, unsavoury types, and total strangers that say they are your friend ffs! I used to have an account on there till about 2 years ago, but deleted my account, simply because I thought it was so boring, and the continuing thing with strangers wanting you for a friend. If some odd-looking person approached you in the middle of the street and asked if they could be your friend, would you say 'yes of course'. I really don't think so. You've no idea who the heck they are, or what their intention or agenda is ! It is all too iffy for me.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1332556 wrote: I refuse to use Facebook. There are so many hassles, unsavoury types, and total strangers that say they are your friend ffs! I used to have an account on there till about 2 years ago, but deleted my account, simply because I thought it was so boring, and the continuing thing with strangers wanting you for a friend. If some odd-looking person approached you in the middle of the street and asked if they could be your friend, would you say 'yes of course'. I really don't think so. You've no idea who the heck they are, or what their intention or agenda is ! It is all too iffy for me.

Your in charge of who you accept as a friend, same as here.
Life is just to short for drama.
G#Gill

Face Book Addicts

Post by G#Gill »

Odie;1332559 wrote: Your in charge of who you accept as a friend, same as here.

I know that, strangely enough. It is the irritating frequency of strangers keep asking to be your friend. Oh, and another thing, Facebook is rather vulnerable to hackers so I'm led to believe by various newspaper and TV reports. Can't be doing with it.
Betty Boop

Face Book Addicts

Post by Betty Boop »

There are a lot of myths out there about facebook. Lock your profile down and no one can keep popping up asking to be friends, you are in control of your account, if you do get friend requests from people you don't know then don't accept them - simple. Not had a problem at all in the two or so years I've been there, in fact just the other day an old school friend last seen over 20 years ago made contact with me through other friends, I'm meeting her for coffee next Friday afternoon when she's back in town for a visit :guitarist It's been handy for keeping in contact with all my mates at uni too, they all disappear off around the country for the summer and I can't afford to keep texting them to catch up. Facebook is ideal, one of us can send a message to all the uni lot to inform them of updates of reading lists or timetables being released, exam results being out etc and everyone is kept in the loop. :)

However, I did come across a friend's sister's account the other day and took a peek, all she talked about was food. What she'd had for breakfast, that she was going to subway for lunch and then what she was cooking for tea, not a lot else, just all about food. Not surprising she's rather overweight then I guess!! :wah:
flopstock

Face Book Addicts

Post by flopstock »

chonsigirl;1332545 wrote: It seems such a boring thing to have, I would rather have a real visit or a phone call. If I am reduced to looking at their web page, then the

relationship is really not there.

I agree. I go on to see new pictures of the babies, but I'm only friends with the kids and my ex(who are all out of state) and a couple of real life friends who travel and share their photos up there.

I do have to say that it was a great way to stay in touch with my son when he was in Afghanistan last year.

:thinking:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

Post by Oscar Namechange »

First of all... I have never had a problem with Facebook other than making the mistake of accepting a friendship request that I should not have.

Since the new security settings, this Is no longer a problem.

My big problem Is those games that you have to feed a pet or It dies. :yh_rotfl I started them because when we have the young children up for visits, they love these games. However, because they are too young to have their own facebook accounts, It means Auntie must keep feeding virtual pets In a virtual house because they would be heart-broken to visit and find their pet 'Brian- Nomad' has died because Auntil Julie did not feed him. :yh_rotfl
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

G#Gill;1332560 wrote: I know that, strangely enough. It is the irritating frequency of strangers keep asking to be your friend. Oh, and another thing, Facebook is rather vulnerable to hackers so I'm led to believe by various newspaper and TV reports. Can't be doing with it.

- you can change your settings to say, not accepting friendships.

I rarely get ones I don't know.

people can message you and let you know who they are first.

there are tons of settings you can use.

Your in charge of your own account.

I've only ever heard of a couple who have hacked accounts, and they knew that person.
Tightwad

Face Book Addicts

Post by Tightwad »

I guess I'm either to old or to anti-social 'cause I just don't "get" Facebook.
flopstock

Face Book Addicts

Post by flopstock »

Tightwad;1332574 wrote: I guess I'm either to old or to anti-social 'cause I just don't "get" Facebook.

My hero!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Face Book Addicts

Post by CARLA »

No interest at all in FACEBOOK find the whole thing boring and way to time consuming. For others it is a way to stay connected to family that might be a good thing. No one in my family uses it never will ... !! :)

Nah..!! I'm right there with you .. :wah:

I guess I'm either to old or to anti-social 'cause I just don't "get" Facebook.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

theia

Face Book Addicts

Post by theia »

I couldn't see the point of FB...until I joined up...and found the farms :eek::o
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bez

Face Book Addicts

Post by Bez »

:yh_flower Each to their own I guess !

I have neices and nephews around the world and my own family scattered around the UK. I also have links to Buddhist sites etc. I don't really use it to communicate as I use e-mail for that but it just keeps me in touch with everyone, what they're doing and how their families are progressing via their photos. I don't have many contacts outside the family just a couple of old freinds.
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Peg

Face Book Addicts

Post by Peg »

Just because I come here and look for the "like" button, does not mean I'm addicted to FB. :yh_rotfl
Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

Peg;1332632 wrote: Just because I come here and look for the "like" button, does not mean I'm addicted to FB. :yh_rotfl

Like :wah::wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
CARLA

Face Book Addicts

Post by CARLA »

:wah: Yes I know people totally addicted to the the FARM spend money on it and are so into it you would think it is real. :-2

As Bez said "to each his own". ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

theia

Face Book Addicts

Post by theia »

CARLA;1332644 wrote: :wah: Yes I know people totally addicted to the the FARM spend money on it and are so into it you would think it is real. :-2

As Bez said "to each his own". ;)

I'm addicted, Carla, but no "real" money will leave my person...

hopefully
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

Peg;1332632 wrote: Just because I come here and look for the "like" button, does not mean I'm addicted to FB. :yh_rotfl
:wah:
Peg

Face Book Addicts

Post by Peg »

When I work, I plan my crop planting around my work schedule. Does that make me an addict? LOL These last 10 weeks of not working, and having a limited ability to walk, FB has been my best friend.
theia

Face Book Addicts

Post by theia »

Peg;1332698 wrote: When I work, I plan my crop planting around my work schedule. Does that make me an addict? LOL These last 10 weeks of not working, and having a limited ability to walk, FB has been my best friend.

Addict? No!! You're a true farmer, Peg, like me :D
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

Peg;1332698 wrote: When I work, I plan my crop planting around my work schedule. Does that make me an addict? LOL These last 10 weeks of not working, and having a limited ability to walk, FB has been my best friend.

is there a status shuffle for that one?:yh_rotfl
Rapunzel

Face Book Addicts

Post by Rapunzel »

Odie;1332712 wrote: is there a status shuffle for that one?:yh_rotfl

I like status shuffle. Beowulf always has really good ones. :wah:
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

Rapunzel;1332714 wrote: I like status shuffle. Beowulf always has really good ones. :wah:

oh gosh does he ever!:yh_rotfl

It's nice to be able to choose the subjects you want.:guitarist
ModernKing

Face Book Addicts

Post by ModernKing »

I'm a facebook addict and proud of it :)

I always seem to have a tab open in my window browser just for facebook lol its great for keeping in touch and chatting with people i havent talked to in forever.
Lon

Face Book Addicts

Post by Lon »

ModernKing;1333299 wrote: I'm a facebook addict and proud of it :)

I always seem to have a tab open in my window browser just for facebook lol its great for keeping in touch and chatting with people i havent talked to in forever.

Take two aspirin and don't call me in the morning. I'm glad you are happy with your addiction. :-3
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

ModernKing;1333299 wrote: I'm a facebook addict and proud of it :)

I've met a couple of people on facebook whom I hadn't seen in years also, and I love status shuffle.
CinnamonBear

Face Book Addicts

Post by CinnamonBear »

Lon;1332541 wrote: Holy Hannah------Some of my kin are never off Facebook---they tell when they go to bed----get up-----what they ate---when they go to toilet---when they pray---what they pray for-----if the prayer was answered---every detail of their hour by hour life.

They run around with ear plugs via I Phone so as not to miss a beat. Yes I am on Facebook, but only to find out what is going on with family as they no longer phone or email, just communicate via Facebook. But ya know, there are things about their day that I just don't want to hear about. At least FORUM GARDEN is not that bad, so far. :wah:

Hello Lon. I'm "on assignment" from spot. This is the first of five threads I've read that I find interesting. (Actually, there are alot more than five, but that's my assignment.)

I think FB is mostly for people who don't have enough real life activities or real life friends. I haven't subscribed to it but know enough about it to make me feel sorry for them, the extremely active ones you described. However, I think FB would be ideal for those who are shut-ins or otherwise disabled and not able to mingle in the real world.

Good subject. Different strokes and all. ;)
Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

CinnamonBear;1333435 wrote: I think FB is mostly for people who don't have enough real life activities or real life friends.

;)

I feel I must expose my umbrage at such a statement..

Many people like myself have a large family scattered all over the country. It is far simpler to be able to see new pics of your loved one's on FB.

I have Muslim friends and their family are my friends. They come here on a visiting visa and then have to return to the Middle East. FB Is a way of keeping In touch with them all the time and not just one brief visit a year. I love seeing the pics they post of the Middle Eastern Countries that I probably will never get to visit such as Iran and Iraq.

There Is also the live chat function which means If we are all on line, we can talk to each other In private and that goes for family also.
farmer giles

Face Book Addicts

Post by farmer giles »

facebook is great for keeping in touch with family and even friends that live near you :)

and with the chat thingy on there you can annoy i mean speak to lots of people and get an instant reaction ..great

if any one wants to add my i'm jimmybowers1

i usually go on it in the evenings

i have to vet the chat things into who i can talk to and who i cant just fit in :sneaky:

i mean funny people first then it goes into looks ,bra size ,who would sleep with me (without chloraform and without money changing hands ) then its who owes me a beer and so on :wah::wah::wah:
Lon

Face Book Addicts

Post by Lon »

CinnamonBear;1333435 wrote: Hello Lon. I'm "on assignment" from spot. This is the first of five threads I've read that I find interesting. (Actually, there are alot more than five, but that's my assignment.)

I think FB is mostly for people who don't have enough real life activities or real life friends. I haven't subscribed to it but know enough about it to make me feel sorry for them, the extremely active ones you described. However, I think FB would be ideal for those who are shut-ins or otherwise disabled and not able to mingle in the real world.

In the case of my kin folk that I mentioned in my initial post they are pretty well educated, socially active, productively employed professionals and don't really fit your "not enough real life activities" They do have the capability of being able to post to Facebook from anywhere they might be (and do so) via phone, I Pad, PC, laptop etc. Same for cell and textting. They are continually hooked up and wired to something.
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

farmer giles;1333446 wrote: facebook is great for keeping in touch with family and even friends that live near you :)

and with the chat thingy on there you can annoy i mean speak to lots of people and get an instant reaction ..great

if any one wants to add my i'm jimmybowers1

i usually go on it in the evenings

i have to vet the chat things into who i can talk to and who i cant just fit in :sneaky:

i mean funny people first then it goes into looks ,bra size ,who would sleep with me (without chloraform and without money changing hands ) then its who owes me a beer and so on :wah::wah::wah:

now you want my bra size?:yh_rotfl

Great to see you here again Jim!:guitarist
Peg

Face Book Addicts

Post by Peg »

CinnamonBear;1333435 wrote: Hello Lon. I'm "on assignment" from spot. This is the first of five threads I've read that I find interesting. (Actually, there are alot more than five, but that's my assignment.)

What is the difference between having time for FB or having time for forums? I like fb for keeping in touch with family and real life friends, and I like the garden for learning about other cultures and other points of view. I still have plenty of time to "mingle with the real world" even when I am working on top of it all.
CinnamonBear

Face Book Addicts

Post by CinnamonBear »

Hello again, thanks for your comments and inquiries. Lots of good thoughts here which generate more questions for me. The difference between private emails and public FB is something I don't get. oh well

My opinion of FB addicts is simply my perception and opinion of it, yours may differ. For me, there's a certain sadness I have for people who live their lives around FB (and the internet) instead of real life interaction. I'm not sure I can explain it any better. Perhaps a healthy balance of both is the best I can say.

I enjoy the internet...but it's not my validation, my be all, do all, is all.

ha, I'm one who still sends Hallmark cards for no reason at all. A dying breed. Keeping the Post Office in business. :)
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

CinnamonBear;1333517 wrote: Hello again, thanks for your comments and inquiries. Lots of good thoughts here which generate more questions for me. The difference between private emails and public FB is something I don't get. oh well

My opinion of FB addicts is simply my perception and opinion of it, yours may differ. For me, there's a certain sadness I have for people who live their lives around FB (and the internet) instead of real life interaction. I'm not sure I can explain it any better. Perhaps a healthy balance of both is the best I can say.

ha, I'm one who still sends Hallmark cards for no reason at all. A dying breed. Keeping the Post Office in business. :)

The internet is far from my validation as well, my family and friends phone me, I phone them, we spend time with each other, that's what real life is all about.

Matter of fact, I just bought some Halloween cards today for them.:-4
CinnamonBear

Face Book Addicts

Post by CinnamonBear »

Odie;1333520 wrote: The internet is far from my validation as well, my family and friends phone me, I phone them, we spend time with each other, that's what real life is all about.

Matter of fact, I just bought some Halloween cards today for them.:-4

There you go! That's what I'm talking about! :)
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

CinnamonBear;1333526 wrote: There you go! That's what I'm talking about! :)

- I had to choose Charlie Brown Halloween cards, who could not love Snoopy and the red baron and the pumpkin patch.:wah:

Attached files
Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

CinnamonBear;1333517 wrote: Hello again, thanks for your comments and inquiries. Lots of good thoughts here which generate more questions for me. The difference between private emails and public FB is something I don't get. oh well

ha, I'm one who still sends Hallmark cards for no reason at all. A dying breed. Keeping the Post Office in business. :) I actually agree with Peg...

Just a general observation as I meander through the night. You have been posting here and on line for at least 2 hours tonight.

What is the difference between you on a forum on the Internet for 2 hours and another person being on Facebook for one hour to catch up with friends and family?

Could you define the difference? After all... this forum and Facebook are both Internet sites. Also, I have been on FB tonight talking to people I am related to and know In real life and you are here talking to people you have never seen In your life before.

Just asking :D
hoppy

Face Book Addicts

Post by hoppy »

My daughter told me if I want to know what my family is up to, join facebook, so I did. She is right. I learned more about some of my kin than I really wanted to know.
CinnamonBear

Face Book Addicts

Post by CinnamonBear »

oscar;1333536 wrote: I actually agree with Peg...

Just a general observation as I meander through the night. You have been posting here and on line for at least 2 hours tonight.

What is the difference between you on a forum on the Internet for 2 hours and another person being on Facebook for one hour to catch up with friends and family?

Could you define the difference? After all... this forum and Facebook are both Internet sites. Also, I have been on FB tonight talking to people I am related to and know In real life and you are here talking to people you have never seen In your life before.

Just asking :D

Good Sunday morning, Oscar. Your question is a fair one. I view message boards as an all together different type of communication. I'm a fan of it or I wouldn't be posting. The hour I spent here on Friday was interrupted by a phone call from a friend who needed my ear. The long pause between posts was that time spent with her; I didn't think to log out and log back on. I hope that's not a rule here. (kidding)

There's no way the conversation we had could have taken place on FB or any other internet site. Her crying at the beginning of the call was replaced with laughter before we hung up and planning the time we got together yesterday. I'm sure you can imagine that call would have lost something in the translation were it to be typed out. Frankly, the nature of the call wouldn't have happened on FB or anywhere publicly.

As I mentioned earlier, I feel a sort of sadness for FB addicts who communicate with friends and family via high tech, without the benefit of a smile, laugh, voice, hug, etc. (Hopefully, that's not their only source of interaction.) Regarding friends and family, I guess I go more for the personal touch, phone calls, lunch, visits, happy hours, snail mail, cards, etc. I trust you get my drift. If not, I'll try to explain further. :)
Peg

Face Book Addicts

Post by Peg »

CinnamonBear;1333749 wrote: Good Sunday morning, Oscar. Your question is a fair one. I view message boards as an all together different type of communication. I'm a fan of it or I wouldn't be posting. The hour I spent here on Friday was interrupted by a phone call from a friend who needed my ear. The long pause between posts was that time spent with her; I didn't think to log out and log back on. I hope that's not a rule here. (kidding)

There's no way the conversation we had could have taken place on FB or any other internet site. Her crying at the beginning of the call was replaced with laughter before we hung up and planning the time we got together yesterday. I'm sure you can imagine that call would have lost something in the translation were it to be typed out. Frankly, the nature of the call wouldn't have happened on FB or anywhere publicly.

As I mentioned earlier, I feel a sort of sadness for FB addicts who communicate with friends and family via high tech, without the benefit of a smile, laugh, voice, hug, etc. (Hopefully, that's not their only source of interaction.) Regarding friends and family, I guess I go more for the personal touch, phone calls, lunch, visits, happy hours, snail mail, cards, etc. I trust you get my drift. If not, I'll try to explain further. :)
Of course some converstions should not take place on facebook or forums either. I talk to my nieces and sisters every day on facebook. That does not mean I don't talk to them on the phone or ever get together with them. My family is very close to each other. Facebook is another means for us to stay close. We'll all be getting together at least 3 more times before the end of the year.
G#Gill

Face Book Addicts

Post by G#Gill »

CinnamonBear;1333749 wrote: Good Sunday morning, Oscar. Your question is a fair one. I view message boards as an all together different type of communication. I'm a fan of it or I wouldn't be posting. The hour I spent here on Friday was interrupted by a phone call from a friend who needed my ear. The long pause between posts was that time spent with her; I didn't think to log out and log back on. I hope that's not a rule here. (kidding)

CB, I think you are discounting the many people who have a mobile phone but not a landline. Mobile phones are expensive to keep using, so contact (free) via the internet is, to them, a wonderful thing. Also the disabled people who are unable to get out and about like the able-bodied, the internet is a great comfort to them and can bring newly made friends into their homes (without the expense and hassle of providing hospitality !). Perhaps you are fortunate enough to be able-bodied, and not dependent on third parties to take you out ? Perhaps you can afford to ring people on the land-line and have long chats, and arrange to meet up and have a cup of coffee somewhere nice, and to have a one-to-one long chat.

Don't feel sad towards people who always seem to be on the internet, because it is probably the only way they can find friends or talk to their family, who may live far away. To some, it may be a life-line to them, and the internet gives them comfort and interest.

I do not think it is necessary to judge people who use the internet for contact, each person that uses forums and surfs the net generally, has their own reason for doing so and it is nobody's business but theirs !
CinnamonBear

Face Book Addicts

Post by CinnamonBear »

Hi Gill. We are on the same wavelength in a way. In my first post on this thread I said the following:

"However, I think FB would be ideal for those who are shut-ins or otherwise disabled and not able to mingle in the real world."

My opinion about FB is just that, my opinion. :) Yours may differ and that's fine too. It's what makes the world go 'round. And now I've gotten myself caught up in the chat and haven't chopped the onions for the cookout. Catch you all later and have a peaceful and relaxing Sunday.
fuzzywuzzy

Face Book Addicts

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

oscar;1332569 wrote: First of all... I have never had a problem with Facebook other than making the mistake of accepting a friendship request that I should not have.

Since the new security settings, this Is no longer a problem.

My big problem Is those games that you have to feed a pet or It dies. :yh_rotfl I started them because when we have the young children up for visits, they love these games. However, because they are too young to have their own facebook accounts, It means Auntie must keep feeding virtual pets In a virtual house because they would be heart-broken to visit and find their pet 'Brian- Nomad' has died because Auntil Julie did not feed him. :yh_rotfl

Is Nomad making you feed his pets AGAIN?....................sorry you mentioned small children :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Don't feel sad towards people who always seem to be on the internet, because it is probably the only way they can find friends or talk to their family, who may live far away. To some, it may be a life-line to them, and the internet gives them comfort and interest.

That's exactly right . I live a great distance from family. And the property I live on is out of the way and isolated. So just to be able to know on the actual day a baby has been born in the family is a really cool thing. I get the news and the pics of the siad little bundle of joy . Plus there are people in my family who have suffered cancer or been in hospital for long periods and I can talk to them and cheer them up.

But in saying that FB has come back to bite me recently, because I was hacked ....but all's good now.
Odie

Face Book Addicts

Post by Odie »

CinnamonBear;1333761 wrote:

"However, I think FB would be ideal for those who are shut-ins or otherwise disabled and not able to mingle in the real world."

My opinion about FB is just that, my opinion. :) Yours may differ and that's fine too. It's what makes the world go 'round. And now I've gotten myself caught up in the chat and haven't chopped the onions for the cookout. Catch you all later and have a peaceful and relaxing Sunday.

I find some seem to be on there all day, I guess they don't really have close friends nor family to phone or see.

The real world is the real thing.:-6

Doesn't matter as you said, everyone has their own opinions.
Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

To be frank, I do not care for your attitude. So you say you feel sadness for FG addicts who communicate with friends and family via high tech?

Let us look at my situation here as I am sure many other FB users find them-selves In the same position.

I have a very large extended family. Not one of these lives any-where near me. The nearest Is an hours drive, the others In Sussex Involves a 6 hour round trip to visit them.

With the exception of my younger sister, my family are either business-men or work extremely long hours. One of my brothers has to go as far as employing a nanny because of his and his wife's work-load as they are both proffessional people. My brother leaves the house at approx 7 am to travel to a race meeting and gets home around 10 pm at night. What very little time he has spare, he dedicates to his young child. The same with his wife. I do not phone him at 10 pm at night because It would wake his child and I appreciate that he Is knackered from his day's work. I actually work with him some-times so we catch up then but the times I do not, what exactly do you suggest we do? Take a 6 hour round car trip every sunday on his one day off to see each other? Phone each other late at night while his child Is sleeping? This same problem occurs with many of my family who live hundreds of miles from me.

I do not like you Inference that any-one who uses FB is an addict.

I go on FB late at night and once I am logged In , I actually run several other programmes over FB. I scan the newspapers for news before I go to bed, reply to E Mails, check the horse-racing website, check my online banking, check the weather.... all manner. Any of my friends on FB looking at who Is on-line can see me on-line but I may just have the page running under other things I am doing. I could be logged on to FB for 2 hours when the reality Is I may have only spent an actual 10 minutes on It.

Then, as Is often the case... I may even put my laptop down still running and go off and do other things.

Now take my average day.... Today as an example... I left my house this morning at 9 am. I came home from doing the business I had to do at 4 pm for a very quick cup of coffee. I then went out again and now at 11.16 pm, I have only just got home from a very long tiring day In the real world. When I have finished writing my E Mails etc etc, I may go to FB for an hour. That Is a normal day and not the Impression you give that any-one who actually uses FB Is some disabled saddo without a life.
G#Gill

Face Book Addicts

Post by G#Gill »

Oscar, you spoilt that post with your last line ! Disabled people do not merit the derogatory term 'saddo', and I expect most of them do 'have a life' in their own way, as best they can! But I'm sure you had not intended your words to sound like they actually did !
Oscar Namechange

Face Book Addicts

G#Gill;1333809 wrote: Oscar, you spoilt that post with your last line ! Disabled people do not merit the derogatory term 'saddo', and I expect most of them do 'have a life' in their own way, as best they can! But I'm sure you had not intended your words to sound like they actually did !
Unfortunately that was not written as the meaning I Intended, so apologies to any-one I may have offended.

My sentence was In direct response to this line written by CB:

""However, I think FB would be ideal for those who are shut-ins or otherwise disabled and not able to mingle in the real world."

I find It obnoxious, pompous and Insulting.

Return to “General Chit Chat”