Do you keep your computer clean?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I'm having a debate with another group of folks and thought I'd do a little survey here

I'm sure some of you folks go through and clean up the files on your machine, but how many of you do more then just turn the keyboard over to tap out last weeks snacks and ashes?

Do you take it outside,take the back off and attack it with compressed air? Vacuum it?

How about that monitor?

And how often?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1330817 wrote: I'm having a debate with another group of folks and thought I'd do a little survey here

I'm sure some of you folks go through and clean up the files on your machine, but how many of you do more then just turn the keyboard over to tap out last weeks snacks and ashes?

Do you take it outside,take the back off and attack it with compressed air? Vacuum it?

How about that monitor?

And how often?

I'll strip the keyboard down to clean it occasionally but, more importantly, strip the system unit down to clean the dust out of the filters and off of the motherboard / power supply etc.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

I've never stripped down the keyboard. Just a vigorous vacuum. I do hoover the inside of the tower every 2 or 3 months
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
beowulf

Post by beowulf »

keyboard.....every few days

screen...once a week

tower.......blasted with air every 2 weeks thro the vents/opened up and blown every 3 months
The dogs philosophy on life. If you cant eat it, hump it or fight it,........ Pee on it and walk away!!

(/)

(-_-)

(")(")

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

We are thinking of setting up a cleaning calendar and blowing them out and cleaning them up quarterly..

It's not a lot of time, but when you consider there are over 100 in one building that means I'd need to shut one person down each day, haul their machine out, take the back off, blow it out, put it back together and back into position, fire it up and then do a software checkup/cleanup.

I suppose I could do ten a day for ten days in a row... that's only two weeks each quarter..:-2
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

A clean computer is a happy computer.. I take my PC apart every 3 months like clock work. I also do the same for the 75 machines and printers I have at the office they run better when clean and don't heat up as often since the fans is clean. :) Keyboards and mouses just get canned air and blow them out turn the mouse over and clean the bottom if they are acting up I just get new one no sense struggling with a stick keyboard or mouse they are cheap.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1330856 wrote: A clean computer is a happy computer.. I take my PC apart every 3 months like clock work. I also do the same for the 75 machines and printers I have at the office they run better when clean and don't heat up as often since the fans is clean. :) Keyboards and mouses just get canned air and blow them out turn the mouse over and clean the bottom if they are acting up I just get new one no sense struggling with a stick keyboard or mouse they are cheap.

When in the world do you find time to do all that?

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Problem keyboards and mice are just thrown in a box for employees to go through and take home. although they'ved tried it with my wireless guys who only need batteries.. lol nice try folks..

Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

CARLA;1330856 wrote: A clean computer is a happy computer.. I take my PC apart every 3 months like clock work. I also do the same for the 75 machines and printers I have at the office they run better when clean and don't heat up as often since the fans is clean. :) Keyboards and mouses just get canned air and blow them out turn the mouse over and clean the bottom if they are acting up I just get new one no sense struggling with a stick keyboard or mouse they are cheap.

I'm even more obsessive / compulsive about cleanliness than Carla...if that's even possible. :D
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I have 3 helpers that I trust to clean the insides of machines or it would never get done. :)

A clean computer is a happy computer.. I take my PC apart every 3 months like clock work. I also do the same for the 75 machines and printers I have at the office they run better when clean and don't heat up as often since the fans is clean. Keyboards and mouses just get canned air and blow them out turn the mouse over and clean the bottom if they are acting up I just get new one no sense struggling with a stick keyboard or mouse they are cheap.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

carla;1330873 wrote: i have 3 helpers that i trust to clean the insides of machines or it would never get done. :)

you have what?:p

I JUST got 1 part timer this year so that I could have days off without being on call. In addition to the machines in the building I'm in I have 30 at our radio stations and another 30 at the building next to me. That doesn't include printers, servers. phone systems and other whatnot...

I bet your helpers make more than me too.........:yh_rotfl

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

:yh_rotfl Actually they are students that want to learn in the trenches. Well I give them the trenches and they love it, love the hands on. I hear you 75 machines, 6 severs, 1 phone server (VOIP), 30 printers, 2 copiers, 2 fax machines, 9 projectors, 3 dvd players, 10 laptops, 2 sound systems yada yada yada equals non stop work day in and day out. I can't trust them to be on call yet that still on me 24/7 and vacations too. Sometimes I can get our IT consultant to cover for me but he charges $175.00 an hour, boss not happy when that happens. :yh_rotfl I have started my own side business of sorts working on PC's for people word of mouth mostly for $50.00 an hour it is starting to pay off I will continue when retired for extra cash. :-6

you have what?

I JUST got 1 part timer this year so that I could have days off without being on call. In addition to the machines in the building I'm in I have 30 at our radio stations and another 30 at the building next to me. That doesn't include printers, servers. phone systems and other whatnot...

I bet your helpers make more than me too.........
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

flopstock

Post by flopstock »

CARLA;1330879 wrote: :yh_rotfl Actually they are students that want to learn in the trenches. Well I give them the trenches and they love it, love the hands on. I hear you 75 machines, 6 severs, 1 phone server (VOIP), 30 printers, 2 copiers, 2 fax machines, 9 projectors, 3 dvd players, 10 laptops, 2 sound systems yada yada yada equals non stop work day in and day out. I can't trust them to be on call yet that still on me 24/7 and vacations too. Sometimes I can get our IT consultant to cover for me but he charges $175.00 an hour, boss not happy when that happens. :yh_rotfl I have started my own side business of sorts working on PC's for people word of mouth mostly for $50.00 an hour it is starting to pay off I will continue when retired for extra cash. :-6

I am the repair person for everyone who works here. I tell them I'll kill them if I find out they took their stuff in and paid the $50 in the door fee the local guys charge without letting me look at them first. I strip down all our old equipment and have boxes of parts for all sorts of stuff.

But I'll have to look into our local college for some workers..

spot

Post by spot »

I tend to clean my screen and keyboard a few days into a cold, once I finish sneezing. The keys tend to stick to my fingers by that stage, and I find I can't read so easily unless I increase the font size.

As for using a vacuum cleaner, I replaced two keys on this laptop only this morning. Where have those keys gone, I asked. Dysoned, I was told. Winced, I did.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1330990 wrote: I tend to clean my screen and keyboard a few days into a cold, once I finish sneezing. The keys tend to stick to my fingers by that stage, and I find I can't read so easily unless I increase the font size.

As for using a vacuum cleaner, I replaced two keys on this laptop only this morning. Where have those keys gone, I asked. Dysoned, I was told. Winced, I did.

Aw, spot, I was eating a biscuit :-5 Your screen and keyboard sound like the one I and two million other people use at work...ghastly!

Can't believe anyone would dyson their keyboard :guitarist
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I turn my laptop upside down and give it a shake now and again, due to bad experiences with hoovers and keyboards...
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1330999 wrote: I turn my laptop upside down and give it a shake now and again, due to bad experiences with hoovers and keyboards...

back in my smoking days I'd put my keyboard in a garbage bag once a week and gently burp the ashes out...:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1331020 wrote: back in my smoking days I'd put my keyboard in a garbage bag once a week and gently burp the ashes out...:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Now there's an expression you don't see every day :wah:
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Keyboard and screen regularly.

Last week I was having trouble with the CD/DVD drive and opened the casing of the computer and was amazes at the dirt and dust inside. I gave it a good clean.
Aura

Post by Aura »

I clean the keyboard and mouse with Detto wipes. Not too sure about cleaning the inside of the tower through.

Return to “Computers Internet”