See the Queen as you've never seen her before

This is our starting point. Discussions about any or all TV shows. The more popular shows will eventually have their own forum.
koan

Post by koan »

:wah:

CBC is airing a 3D special at 7pm on Monday night. I'm not a big Queenie fan but I can't resist seeing her "as never before". Now I can mock her in 3D. If I put the glasses on backwards I might catch a glimpse of her butt.

Mostly I want to watch it because I imagine she has reacted to the event with "(feign accent) Good heavens. Who chose that slogan? Have them fired immediately." Also, there is a chance that the royal wave will seem like getting bitch slapped by the queen mother.

The old school 3D glasses are available for free from larger Canada Post outlets.
Odie

Post by Odie »

koan;1333640 wrote: :wah:

CBC is airing a 3D special at 7pm on Monday night. I'm not a big Queenie fan but I can't resist seeing her "as never before". Now I can mock her in 3D. If I put the glasses on backwards I might catch a glimpse of her butt.

Mostly I want to watch it because I imagine she has reacted to the event with "(feign accent) Good heavens. Who chose that slogan? Have them fired immediately." Also, there is a chance that the royal wave will seem like getting bitch slapped by the queen mother.

The old school 3D glasses are available for free from larger Canada Post outlets.

I saved my 3D glasses when I saw Avatar, it will be nice to mock the old bat with those.:wah:

My god, when I think what its costed Canada everytime she comes here, and for what?

She's never done anything for Canada, she speaks..we jump.:rolleyes::yh_rotfl
Life is just to short for drama.
koan

Post by koan »

do the theatre ones have the blue/orange thing on different sides? Not sure if they'll work on the tv version. We're talking old school... which is befitting of the queen. :p
Odie

Post by Odie »

koan;1333646 wrote: do the theatre ones have the blue/orange thing on different sides? Not sure if they'll work on the tv version. We're talking old school... which is befitting of the queen. :p

very befitting.:yh_rotfl

These say 'IMAX' on them as it was at an 'IMAX' theatre, don't tell anyone I kept them for a souvenir.:lips:

the sides are green thick plastic, never thought they may not work.:thinking:
koan

Post by koan »

hard to say. looks like there are different systems of doing 3d effects and the colour filter method, which the post office glasses use, is different from the polarized ones at IMAX 3D Glasses - How Do They Work?
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

koan;1333671 wrote: hard to say. looks like there are different systems of doing 3d effects and the colour filter method, which the post office glasses use, is different from the polarized ones at IMAX 3D Glasses - How Do They Work? This has already been shown In England with our free 3D glasses. What made It spectacular was not so much the Queen but the 3D effect on the background and people.

I have actually come very close to the Queen myself. It was when she attended the Gold Cup at Cheltenham races last March with her Grand-daughter Zara Phillips. I was working for my bro that day on the course and as she arrived, we were on a balcony over-looking her. Every-one was so excited about seeing her but for me, I was more excited at the thought of Kauto Star and Denman arriving ready for the Gold Cup. She was dressed all In red from head to foot and bright red lipstick. I took one look and was reminded of a pillar box and that I had some letters to post. Her own horse 'Barbers Shop' was running against Kauto Star and let us say by the look on her face, one was not amused when he only managed 6th place. Zara Phillips looked absolutely stunning In knee high boots.

As she Is my Queen, I am quite old fashioned when It comes to our Royalty. I do prefer her to be refered to as 'her Majesty'. She Is not some Z list celeb, she Is our Monarch and should be respected as such. It Is worth noting that England Is one country where our armed forces pledge to serve 'Queen and country', and not a President.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Post by koan »

oscar;1333674 wrote:

As she Is my Queen, I am quite old fashioned when It comes to our Royalty. I do prefer her to be refered to as 'her Majesty'. She Is not some Z list celeb, she Is our Monarch and should be respected as such. It Is worth noting that England Is one country where our armed forces pledge to serve 'Queen and country', and not a President.

Hope it doesn't offend you if I still like the joke about seeing her butt. :p
Oscar Namechange

koan;1333677 wrote: Hope it doesn't offend you if I still like the joke about seeing her butt. :p Your joke did not offend me In fact It was witty and I enjoyed It.

As I said I am old fashioned when It comes to the Queen. Not so much with Princes and the extending family and I myself have written some derogatory comments about them In the past but The Queen is a Monarch and Top Royalty and people should show respect especiall as she Is Queen also to the Commonwealth Countries. WE do not have to like her and no-one expects any-one to have to like her. I just ask that as she Is my Queen, people respect that.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
koan

Post by koan »

Most of the famous people I've met were improved with a bit of good hearted mocking. If one can't mock oneself... then I'll do it for them :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

It would never occur to an Englishman to acquire 3D glasses if he wanted to see Her Majesty in proper perspective, he'd either go to a garden party or wait for the season and hold a shooting weekend on his estate. Colonials, on reflection, don't enjoy such opportunities, it's the price one pays for travelling.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
koan

Post by koan »

David Icke says she's one of the lizard people.
Odie

Post by Odie »

koan;1333671 wrote: hard to say. looks like there are different systems of doing 3d effects and the colour filter method, which the post office glasses use, is different from the polarized ones at IMAX 3D Glasses - How Do They Work?

I'll check out my post offices for them as mine are totally different.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1333687 wrote: It would never occur to an Englishman to acquire 3D glasses if he wanted to see Her Majesty in proper perspective, he'd either go to a garden party or wait for the season and hold a shooting weekend on his estate. Colonials, on reflection, don't enjoy such opportunities, it's the price one pays for travelling.
The Queen Is certainly far more available to her servants In England as you pointed out at Garden Parties etc.

One can also easily attend Race meetings where the Queen's horses run. She might not be there ever time but as with the Gold Cup last year, she does put In an appearance here and there. Royal Ascot week is a good venue for Queen spotting. The Americans had chance to see her close up when she was a spectator at The Kentucky Derby a few years ago.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1333681 wrote: As I said I am old fashioned when It comes to the Queen. Not so much with Princes and the extending family and I myself have written some derogatory comments about them In the past but The Queen is a Monarch and Top Royalty and people should show respect especiall as she Is Queen also to the Commonwealth Countries. WE do not have to like her and no-one expects any-one to have to like her. I just ask that as she Is my Queen, people respect that.

YouTube - Alf Garnett on the British Empire
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1333692 wrote: YouTube - Alf Garnett on the British Empire

Spot... You are positively naughty for posting that clip. :wah:

This was a tv show that as a child and even teenager, I was banned from watching due to my parents believing he was a bigot.

What some who see that clip may not realise, Is that one of the actors In It, Is actually the Father of our former Prime Minister, Tony Blair's wife Cherie.

Spot... I may ask for respect when refering to our Queen but I have not quite reached the Alf rant stage on the British Empire. :wah:

And....... Can I just say? You are up very early for a Bristolian.
Odie

Post by Odie »

You were right Koan, my glasses didn't work and I never had time to go to the post office, did you get them?
koan

Post by koan »

I actually missed watching it on Monday but it aired again tonight so I can officially say I watched it. Didn't watch all of it though. Had some celebrity gossip that I couldn't wait to follow up on and the queen stuff was only interesting for a bit.

I had the Canada Post glasses and they worked. It's not like the modern 3D at all so it was weird adjusting to what used to look really "cool" and is just kind of lame right now. Only cool from an historical perspective. tbh, I'd rather watch Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3D instead.
Odie

Post by Odie »

koan;1334402 wrote: I actually missed watching it on Monday but it aired again tonight so I can officially say I watched it. Didn't watch all of it though. Had some celebrity gossip that I couldn't wait to follow up on and the queen stuff was only interesting for a bit.

I had the Canada Post glasses and they worked. It's not like the modern 3D at all so it was weird adjusting to what used to look really "cool" and is just kind of lame right now. Only cool from an historical perspective. tbh, I'd rather watch Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3D instead.

-I've never seen the old 3D, my first ever time was Avatar, so I have no idea how it looked. I think it would still be cool to see it the old fashiond way, but not for the queen....she just doesn't rock my boat.:wah:
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

spot;1333687 wrote: It would never occur to an Englishman to acquire 3D glasses if he wanted to see Her Majesty in proper perspective, he'd either go to a garden party or wait for the season and hold a shooting weekend on his estate. Colonials, on reflection, don't enjoy such opportunities, it's the price one pays for travelling.

One finds the British Monarch an anachronistic embarrassment down here in the antipodean former colonies. We weren't settled out of the good of the British heart after all, but because unwanted crims etc could no longer be dumped in America, and of course the uncivilised French were cruising about the South Pacific and merde!- better to give Aussie Abos good English roast beef and yorkshire pudding and cups of tea instead of nasty garlicky croissants and dark aromatic coffee... but one digresses. One has nothing personally against Her Majesty, and wishes her well. One did of course, however, wait for her to come to one, here, in order to do the meet greet thing. I expect yours truly can be seen with Her Maj in an elegantly framed, treasured photo on the mantlepiece in Her parlour. Possibly in 3D.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

spot

Post by spot »

AussiePam;1334491 wrote: One finds the British Monarch an anachronistic embarrassment down here in the antipodean former colonies.I wonder, have you reason to think yourself in the majority across the whole country?
Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1334491 wrote: One finds the British Monarch an anachronistic embarrassment down here in the antipodean former colonies. .

Are the voice of Australia or Indeed the voice of forum members from the Commonwealth? Perhaps you would care to elaborate In which you find our Monarch an embarrassment??
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

Yes, I think my view here would be representative. The push for an Australian Republic with an Australian Head of State was defeated at a referendum, but defeated mainly because the questions were set in a way that deliberately divided the electorate on details. Debate centred on what should replace the British Monarch, and how such a Head of State should be selected. The Prime Minister at the time was pro-Monarchy.

Please, Oscar, don't view this as any kind of disparagement of the Queen. Australia, no matter why we were founded, has a warm relationship with Britain and many Australians regard the Queen herself with affection. (This doesn't necessarily extend however to her heirs). But we're a long way away, and much time has passed. Where once almost all of the non-indigenous population could trace their ancestry to England or Ireland, this is not now so. Our politics, trade etc are with Asia and the US, not Europe, not the EEC. By "embarrassing", I mean that we are a Nation. We have our own distinctive culture, worldview etc etc. The idea that our Head of State, Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces etc is a foreign national is symbolically uncomfortable. Even when it IS merely symbolic.

Referendums are expensive. It's not likely there will be another one on this subject for some time. We have many more pressing issues to deal with, and there has still been no final resolution of the questions about who and what should replace the British Monarch, and how an Australian Head of State should be elected. Probably the passion has gone out of the debate. We go on in our laid back, Aussie way ...

I'm only cruising by today, and noticed this thread. When this forum was my home, I did enter into a debate on this subject and cited stats, sources etc, I think. My views lost me Clodhopper's friendship, and I cared about that.

I am pro-English. Though my roots are French-German, atypically, my husband was born in England. I find the fact that Australia is now a non-English country in many ways liberating. When I was small, I remember an elderly Aunt telling me she was going "home" for a visit. Home! She meant to England, though she'd been born here in Australia. I thought it very odd at the time and it stuck in my mind. I can't imagine anyone saying that now. I'm in the UK often (I'm going to hike the Wye Valley in October). I enjoy viewing the country as foreign. For me it IS foreign, in the same way France is foreign, though I also spend a lot of time there. I can now properly appreciate English food as ethnic, as I appreciate French cuisine etc. Now the cultural cringe element has gone, I even celebrate St George's Day with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

Anyway, my earlier post was flip. This one isn't. All the best!

Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1334514 wrote: Yes, I think my view here would be representative. The push for an Australian Republic with an Australian Head of State was defeated at a referendum, but defeated mainly because the questions were set in a way that deliberately divided the electorate on details. Debate centred on what should replace the British Monarch, and how such a Head of State should be selected. The Prime Minister at the time was pro-Monarchy.

Please, Oscar, don't view this as any kind of disparagement of the Queen. Australia, no matter why we were founded, has a warm relationship with Britain and many Australians regard the Queen herself with affection. (This doesn't necessarily extend however to her heirs). But we're a long way away, and much time has passed. Where once almost all of the non-indigenous population could trace their ancestry to England or Ireland, this is not now so. Our politics, trade etc are with Asia and the US, not Europe, not the EEC. By "embarrassing", I mean that we are a Nation. We have our own distinctive culture, worldview etc etc. The idea that our Head of State, Commander in Chief of our Armed Forces etc is a foreign national is symbolically uncomfortable. Even when it IS merely symbolic.

Referendums are expensive. It's not likely there will be another one on this subject for some time. We have many more pressing issues to deal with, and there has still been no final resolution of the questions about who and what should replace the British Monarch, and how an Australian Head of State should be elected. Probably the passion has gone out of the debate. We go on in our laid back, Aussie way ...

I'm only cruising by today, and noticed this thread. When this forum was my home, I did enter into a debate on this subject and cited stats, sources etc, I think. My views lost me Clodhopper's friendship, and I cared about that.

I am pro-English. Though my roots are French-German, atypically, my husband was born in England. I find the fact that Australia is now a non-English country in many ways liberating. When I was small, I remember an elderly Aunt telling me she was going "home" for a visit. Home! She meant to England, though she'd been born here in Australia. I thought it very odd at the time and it stuck in my mind. I can't imagine anyone saying that now. I'm in the UK often (I'm going to hike the Wye Valley in October). I enjoy viewing the country as foreign. For me it IS foreign, in the same way France is foreign, though I also spend a lot of time there. I can now properly appreciate English food as ethnic, as I appreciate French cuisine etc. Now the cultural cringe element has gone, I even celebrate St George's Day with roast beef and Yorkshire pudding.

Anyway, my earlier post was flip. This one isn't. All the best! I am not Interested In any of the history lesson Pam as believe It or not I did go to school and am able to read.

My question was, why do you view the Queen of England as an embaressment? A woman who has served our country for decades and Is the head of the Church?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I view the Queen of England as an "embarrassment" not in her role as Queen of England nor in her person (she's doubtless a hardworking, fine human being), but in her ROLE as Queen of Australia now in 2010.

She may be the "Head of the Church of England" but even if I were a member of the Australian part of that communion, which I'm not, I don't see what relevance that has to any of the current discussion, which, for me, is now finished.

Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1334522 wrote: I view the Queen of England as an "embarrassment" not in her role as Queen of England nor in her person (she's doubtless a hardworking, fine human being), but in her ROLE as Queen of Australia now in 2010.

She may be the "Head of the Church of England" but even if I were a member of the Australian part of that communion, which I'm not, I don't see what relevance that has to any of the current discussion, which, for me, is now finished.
Then perhaps you should have clarified your Interpretation of 'embarrassment' In your original post Instead of coming across as the patronising voice of Australia.

Thank Goodness you are not speaking for all of Australia with such an attitude. Touch of the green eye perhaps Pam?
koan

Post by koan »

I decided that I don't think she's a lizard person. I looked really closely and didn't see any signs of extra terrestrial origin.
Oscar Namechange

koan;1334528 wrote: I decided that I don't think she's a lizard person. I looked really closely and didn't see any signs of extra terrestrial origin.
:wah::wah::wah:

According to David Ike, the Queen Is also the head of the Illuminati, The New World Order, The Bilderberg Org and Is solely responsible for hanger 51 at Denver Airport.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

oscar;1334523 wrote: Then perhaps you should have clarified your Interpretation of 'embarrassment' In your original post Instead of coming across as the patronising voice of Australia.

Thank Goodness you are not speaking for all of Australia with such an attitude. Touch of the green eye perhaps Pam?

Most of my compatriots, I expect, would dismiss you as a loudmouthed, aggressive, English-yob harpy, Oscar - but not me! I believe you really have a heart of gold, and are incredibly funny. Thank you for brightening my morning. Alas, I really must now head back to the office. Take care!

Oscar Namechange

AussiePam;1334533 wrote: Most of my compatriots, I expect, would dismiss you as a loudmouthed, aggressive, English-yob harpy, Oscar - but not me! I believe you really have a heart of gold, and are incredibly funny. Thank you for brightening my morning. Alas, I really must now head back to the office. Take care!

Thank You for the compliments, I am touched.

Tut Tut Tut Pam... You really do not like your posts critisised do you?

Perhaps you could pen one of your absurd odes?

Ode to the harpy yob maybe? What do you think?... Has a kind of ring to It.
Odie

Post by Odie »

koan;1334528 wrote: I decided that I don't think she's a lizard person. I looked really closely and didn't see any signs of extra terrestrial origin.

perhaps she's from the dinosaur era.:yh_rotfl

Return to “General TV Shows”