What are you reading right now?

Discussion of Books, Literature, Book Reviews, and more!
Tan

Post by Tan »

Any good books we should know about?
Tan
Hamster

Post by Hamster »

Hello :)

I am reading "Money and the law of Attraction-The Teachings of Abraham" by Ester and Jerry Hicks. It is the first book on law of attraction that has actually given me step by step practical advice.

I don't read fiction as a rule. What are you reading?
Challenges are opportunities in work clothes.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn. He's one my many favorites...:-6

They need to start making movies from his books! :D
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Tan;1144587 wrote: Any good books we should know about?

Recently finished Guns, Germs and Steel by Jarid Diamond (as recommended by Accountable) - excellent take on the drivers behind world history on the grand scale.

Too busy being on holiday to have picked another book up yet.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I'm reading a series of books that begins with the Chisellers by Brendan O"carroll. This is a saga a family who lives in Dublin during the 1970' Great books:-4
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

This week I have read selected poetry by Rossetti and Hopkins for one half of my course and Hard Times, Dickens, for the other part........

Next week is the The Tempest, Shakespeare and Dubliners, Joyce.

See you around sometime......... :rolleyes::D
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

Julie Walter's Autobiography..."That's another story" on loan off a friend:-6
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

sun tzu the are of war
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Milly

Post by Milly »

I've just finished reading Nick Hornby "A long way down"

Read some pretty heavy crime books lately, so this one made a refreshing change. A bit of twisted humour made for a good giggle :)
Click here to read FOC thread part 1

sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

sunny104;1144676 wrote: Protect and Defend by Vince Flynn. He's one my many favorites...:-6

They need to start making movies from his books! :D

the finally are! woohoo! I hope they're good, Mitch Rapp is a cool character. :-6

I got Jimmy Buffet's "A Pirate Looks at Fifty" in the mail yesterday. That's my next book. :D
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

I'm currently enjoying "The Gift of Years - Growing Older Gracefully" by Joan Chittister and have begun "The Last Week" by Marcus J. Borg & John Dominic Crossan for my Lenten meditation reading.

I need to begin and read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski and "Dark Lantern" by Gerri Brightwell by March 9th for my book discussion group.

I then will finish "My Lady Judge" (A mystery of medieval Ireland) by Cora Harrison, as everyone in my book group really enjoyed it.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

The Bunker, James P. O'Donnel
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

The Steel Bonnets. Basically, how two bunches of thieving, murdering sociopaths (one Scottish, one English) terrified two kingdoms.

I'm usingSalvation in Death by J D Robb as a little light relief....
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Bede's Ecclesiastical History of the English People

R.V.Jones' Most Secret War
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Spock Speak

Then imitate the action of the tiger. Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favoured rage. Then lend the eye a terrible aspect, let pry through the portage of the head like the brass cannon; let the brow overwhelm it as fearfully as doth a galled rock overhang and jutty his confounded base swilled with the wild and wasteful ocean. Now set the teeth and stretch the nostril wide, hold hard the breath and bend up every spirit to his full height.

That ought to get it over with pretty quickly, you'll feel better after.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Nomad;1150099 wrote: Spock Speak huh????? :-2:-2:-2
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Tan

Post by Tan »

Im almost finished 'Not Without My Sister'....true story..very good, yet disturbing.

Ive completed Wolf at the Table-Augusten Burroughs...
Tan
The Rob

Post by The Rob »

I can recommend Gillian Flynn's Dark Places. As in her first novel Sharp Objects, she creates a heroine quite unique (to say the least!) in thriller fiction. Crackin' good read full of shuddery goodness.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

The History of Rasselas, Prince of Abissinia - Samuel Johnson.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

The latest issue of "Shotgun news".
spot

Post by spot »

A short story by William Tenn, "The Liberation Of Earth". It should be read and discussed at primary schools.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Just concluded the entire Sookie Stackhouse vampire series from which the TV series TrueBlood is taken. Next book in the series is due out October 8th. I shall grab it and read it as soon as it is available.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

spot;1248929 wrote: A short story by William Tenn, "The Liberation Of Earth". It should be read and discussed at primary schools.

What makes you think primary school children of today will be able to read, let alone understand, satire?

A recent spelling test with my class of 8 year olds resulted in:

Spell 'by' - biy

Spell 'when' - wen

Spell 'door' - dore

Spell 'call' - cool / cole

Spell 'called' - cald / cold / calt

Spell 'can't' - c*** :lips:

Spell 'won't' - want

Spell 'first' - fast

Spell 'last' - lust

I don't mispronounce my words. They didn't mis-hear. They cannot write or spell for toffee. Most have parents who can't or won't help with homework. The kids are usually shuffled in front of an XBox or Playstation which destroys their ability to imagine.

They're studying mythology at the mo. They've looked at Jason and the Golden Fleece, now they're looking at Isis and Osiris. So you tell them "Isis left her golden palace, what do you think her beautiful, golden palace looked like? How would you describe it? Who can tell me some great adjectives you might use?"

"Ooh, ooh, me miss, me miss" hands wave wildly in the air . . .

"Yes Angel?"

"It was golden miss"

"Ok, yes Summer?"

"Er . . . I forgot"

"Never mind, keep thinking. Yes, Sebasteen?" (pronounced Sebastian, but his parents can't spell)

"It was a palace miss"

"Good, yes Summer again. Have you remembered?"

Summer giggles, then . . . "Er . . . I forgot"

"Never mind, keep thinking. Yes Bethany?" (1 of 5 Bethany's)

"It was beautiful miss"

"Good, now can anyone think of any other great adjectives to describe Isis' palace?"

"Yes Summer?"

"Er . . . I forgot who Isis was again . . ."

Explanation.

"Yes Jordan?" (1 of 3 Jordans)

"It was golden miss"

:-5 :-5 :-5

Satire? They are more of a study in sad irony. What have we created as the yoof of today?
pinkchick

Post by pinkchick »

The Girls of Riyadh by Rajaa Alsanea.

I just started it this morning. So far so good :)
Very nearly perfect ... :D
Barman

Post by Barman »

Actually have three books on the go. John Daly, autobiography. Bernard Langher, autobiography and Dean Koontz's third Frankenstein novel.:)
minks

Post by minks »

I just finished a 4 book series by Larry McMurtry

The Berrybender Narratives

An excellent account of one British Family's (including servents) trek the early frontier times of America. (yes it's fiction)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/lar ... killer.htm
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Raven

Post by Raven »

Rapunzel;1248973 wrote: What makes you think primary school children of today will be able to read, let alone understand, satire?

A recent spelling test with my class of 8 year olds resulted in:

Spell 'by' - biy

Spell 'when' - wen

Spell 'door' - dore

Spell 'call' - cool / cole

Spell 'called' - cald / cold / calt

Spell 'can't' - c*** :lips:

Spell 'won't' - want

Spell 'first' - fast

Spell 'last' - lust

I don't mispronounce my words. They didn't mis-hear. They cannot write or spell for toffee. Most have parents who can't or won't help with homework. The kids are usually shuffled in front of an XBox or Playstation which destroys their ability to imagine.

They're studying mythology at the mo. They've looked at Jason and the Golden Fleece, now they're looking at Isis and Osiris. So you tell them "Isis left her golden palace, what do you think her beautiful, golden palace looked like? How would you describe it? Who can tell me some great adjectives you might use?"

"Ooh, ooh, me miss, me miss" hands wave wildly in the air . . .

"Yes Angel?"

"It was golden miss"

"Ok, yes Summer?"

"Er . . . I forgot"

"Never mind, keep thinking. Yes, Sebasteen?" (pronounced Sebastian, but his parents can't spell)

"It was a palace miss"

"Good, yes Summer again. Have you remembered?"

Summer giggles, then . . . "Er . . . I forgot"

"Never mind, keep thinking. Yes Bethany?" (1 of 5 Bethany's)

"It was beautiful miss"

"Good, now can anyone think of any other great adjectives to describe Isis' palace?"

"Yes Summer?"

"Er . . . I forgot who Isis was again . . ."

Explanation.

"Yes Jordan?" (1 of 3 Jordans)

"It was golden miss"

:-5 :-5 :-5

Satire? They are more of a study in sad irony. What have we created as the yoof of today?
But you are not asking them something they know about! Like Nintendo Wii or Bebo. It's really sad isnt it, when kids dont get excited by their little seed growing in that cup of dirt anymore.:(
~Quoth the Raven, Nevermore!~
G-man

Post by G-man »

I'm reading a few things now... I got a copy of Stephen King's latest epic novel... in fact, I got ALL of his novels and I'm reading his work and a few other novelest's works for research on a novel that I'm in the process of writing. [ It's a murder/mystery/horror type novel... not sure what label the publisher will slap on it. It chose me not the other way around, btw. I only knew I wanted to write popular fiction, just wasn't sure what I would end up writing, but this I never would have expected! :wah: ]

I'm also reading some literary works (I have an extensive Easton Press collection of books that I began collecting since I was five... yeah, I started really early!), I have Pearl S. Buck on my iPod, I'm reading every book I can get my hands on concerning the topic of writing novels and I'm reading pulitzer-prize winning author/journalist John Sandford's Prey series about serial killers.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I'm actually reading Nomad's dads book "SECRETS" started it today waiting for my sister to come out of surgery. It is really good I didn't want to stop reading it I will finish it this weekend. :-6
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

G-man;1269316 wrote: I'm reading a few things now... I got a copy of Stephen King's latest epic novel... in fact, I got ALL of his novels and I'm reading his work and a few other novelst's works for research on a novel that I'm in the process of writing. [ It's a murder/mystery/horror type novel... not sure what label the publisher will slap on it. It chose me not the other way around, btw. I only knew I wanted to write popular fiction, jst wasn't sure what I would end up writing, but this I never would have expected! :wah: ]

I'm also reading some literary works (I have an extensive Easton Press collection of books that I began collecting since I was five... yeah, I started really early!), I have Pearl S. Buck on my iPod, I'm reading every book I can get my hands on concerning the topic of writing novels and I'm reading pulitzer-prize winning author, John Sandford's Prey series about serial killers.

Impressive!
G-man

Post by G-man »

Zapata;1269319 wrote: Impressive!

Those who really know me would say that compulsive was a more apt description. :wah:

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

The Rob

Post by The Rob »

Just finished Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk. This novel now stands as one of the most twisted stories I've read (although Geek Love by Katherine Dunn, another Northwestern USA writer, may still be reigning champeen of the grotesque, if only by a fraction).
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Dryden, Absalom and Achitophel and selected cavalier poetry,

Mary Wollstonecraft, A Short Residence in Sweden, Norway and Denmark, and William Godwin Memoirs of the Author of the ‘Vindication of the Rights of Woman’

All to be read this week - yikes.
abbey

Post by abbey »

Peter Kay, Saturday night peter..........Crap

Just finished Ozzie Osbourne's I am Ozzie.......Bloody fantastic!
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

abbey;1269929 wrote: Peter Kay, Saturday night peter..........Crap

Just finished Ozzie Osbourne's I am Ozzie.......Bloody fantastic!

Oh im gonna look for that in the sales then! THE Ozzy book:D I love biographies

On and off at the moment im reading Everything you know is wrong, by Russ Kicks:)

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Post by spot »

Bleak House, Charles Dickens.

It's not a book for a single sitting.

Paperback: 1088 pages.

Exciting, though. Packed with social observation.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
hoppy

Post by hoppy »

The Encyclopedia Britannica. I'm up to "P".:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

hoppy;1269950 wrote: The Encyclopedia Britannica. I'm up to "P".:yh_rotfl

Been there, done that. It's why I was no good at sports at school.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1269941 wrote: Bleak House, Charles Dickens.

It's not a book for a single sitting.

Paperback: 1088 pages.

Exciting, though. Packed with social observation.

That's not what this years third year students said, I have to read it next term. It appears Bleak House was their nightmare of the second year :wah:
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

I've got my hands on a very old copy of The Golden Age of Science Fiction Pt. I" edited by Asimov. Boy, I sure do love the old stuff. :D
Ozay

Post by Ozay »

I have just finished reading 'Street boys' a non-fiction book recording gang related events in Angell Town a council estate in Brixton, London. It was very interesting but also very depressing. People who used to make a living dealing and robbing and grew up into adulthood to be constantly in and out of Jail and getting such a bad reputation so that the police were blaming them for crimes that they weren't always involved in. It seems easy to point the finger at people who cause trouble. It seems that the tragedy of being institutionalised made them grow up and stop causing trouble and make something of there life it was good in the last chapter to see that each charachter had finished by leading a normal life with steady jobs rather than the life of a hoodlum!
Lon

Post by Lon »

Just finished David Baldacci's "Divine Justice" A good read.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I just finished that two weeks ago, it is a good book.
tabby

Post by tabby »

I just started "Unconfessed" by Yvette Christianse. I haven't gotten too far into it but so far so good!
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

"The salamander" about an Italian investigator, investigating the death of a general who apparently was supposed to be the next Mousillini.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

ooohhhh another good book if you're living in Britain is "Silvertown" by Melanie McGrath and great historical biography of a normal person. "An east end family memoir." from poverty at he docks and pubs in 1914 as a child, to the council flats of old age . Brilliant book.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Just finished "Destroyer of Worlds" by Larry Niven and Edward Lerner.

Have been a Niven fan for decades.

Also reading "the Eternal Now" by Paul Tillich.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

One I can certainly recommend, "The Time Traveller's Guide to Medieval England".

A history book based, not in terms of names and dates but in terms of the sights and smells you'd experience and the conversations you might have. Using this different perspective gives a lot more immediacy and makes the time come alive far more than a traditional history book would without the doubt you get from reading a work of historical fiction.
Bez

Post by Bez »

Pillars of the Earth
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Bez;1343559 wrote: Pillars of the Earth
You've finished reading the bible?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire