UK government and alcohol

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
dchistoryman

Post by dchistoryman »

I thought that since we got rid of Brown and Blair and their associated nannies (harman, smithy et al) we would see the last of the nanny state. Oh no here we go, the latest wheeze is to stop us all drinking too much. Their plan .... raise the tax on stronger drinks, that'll work. I heard a spokesman this morning telling me that he did not want to hurt "responsible" drinkers. What business is it of the government? If I want to drink I get to decide how much. It will not stop the problem drinkers, are we really expecting those with a problem to kick the habit because they have put 10 pence on the price of a pint. It's just another way to raise tax. I do drink and at my advanced age I would guess there has been the odd occasion when I have had too many but what has that got to do with anyone but me. I travel a lot in Scandinavia where alcohol costs a fortune but believe me those bloody vikings know how to party and do so at every opportunity so raising the price will not work.
gmc

Post by gmc »

dchistoryman;1345572 wrote: I thought that since we got rid of Brown and Blair and their associated nannies (harman, smithy et al) we would see the last of the nanny state. Oh no here we go, the latest wheeze is to stop us all drinking too much. Their plan .... raise the tax on stronger drinks, that'll work. I heard a spokesman this morning telling me that he did not want to hurt "responsible" drinkers. What business is it of the government? If I want to drink I get to decide how much. It will not stop the problem drinkers, are we really expecting those with a problem to kick the habit because they have put 10 pence on the price of a pint. It's just another way to raise tax. I do drink and at my advanced age I would guess there has been the odd occasion when I have had too many but what has that got to do with anyone but me. I travel a lot in Scandinavia where alcohol costs a fortune but believe me those bloody vikings know how to party and do so at every opportunity so raising the price will not work.

No it won't and if it does they will no doubt start worrying about the number of brewry jobs that are going.
Galbally

Post by Galbally »

The Irish Government have a different approach. They try to protect the population by drinking as much of it themselves as they can, before anyone else gets their hands on it.

I wish this was a joke BTW. :-(
"We are never so happy, never so unhappy, as we imagine"

Le Rochefoucauld.

"A smack in the face settles all arguments, then you can move on kid."

My dad 1986.

Return to “General Chit Chat”