Read, reed and red

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
spot

Read, reed and red

Post by spot »

I have an announcement to make.

For years I have fumed at my inability to get through a sentence containing the word "read" not knowing, from the context in which I meet it, whether to pronounce it "reed" or "red" since the clue only arrives a few words later on.

I am unilaterally declaring my unwillingness ever again to correctly spell "read". Instead I intend to spell the word as "reed" or as "red" and allow those unaware of my intention merely to assume it's a spelling error. I prefer that to putting people in the ridiculous situation of stumbling over "read" so often.

Thank you for your attentive interest.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Lon

Read, reed and red

Post by Lon »

I red your post with great interest and will reed it to my wife later today. After I have red it to her I will let her reed it to others.
fuzzywuzzy

Read, reed and red

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

What would the english speaking world do without you Spot?
Bruv

Read, reed and red

Post by Bruv »

fuzzywuzzy;1365017 wrote: What would the english speaking world do without you Spot?

They managed before, I blame this instant gratification modern society......what next one wonders.

One*wun ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snooz

Read, reed and red

Post by Snooz »

The latest rage is using an apostrophe when making a word plural, ie "all the dog's in the neighborhood were barking." So we could combine this with your edict to make "she reed's all the time." How's that work for you?
theia

Read, reed and red

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1365022 wrote: The latest rage is using an apostrophe when making a word plural, ie "all the dog's in the neighborhood were barking." So we could combine this with your edict to make "she reed's all the time." How's that work for you?

Snooze, please dont mention the misuse of apostrophe's. Its one of my pet hate's.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Snooz

Read, reed and red

Post by Snooz »

Spots going to be very cros's with you.

Weeeeeeee!
fuzzywuzzy

Read, reed and red

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Snoozy!!!!!!
fuzzywuzzy

Read, reed and red

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

if it's a noun dont you use the apostrophy after the 's'? nad only if it's describing the verb?
gmc

Read, reed and red

Post by gmc »

spot;1365014 wrote: I have an announcement to make.

For years I have fumed at my inability to get through a sentence containing the word "read" not knowing, from the context in which I meet it, whether to pronounce it "reed" or "red" since the clue only arrives a few words later on.

I am unilaterally declaring my unwillingness ever again to correctly spell "read". Instead I intend to spell the word as "reed" or as "red" and allow those unaware of my intention merely to assume it's a spelling error. I prefer that to putting people in the ridiculous situation of stumbling over "read" so often.

Thank you for your attentive interest.

I read your post with a mounting sense of disbelief. Up until now on reading your posts I gleaned the compression you were reasonably well educated if slightly on the red side of the political spectrum they were often an enjoyable read when though sometimes when I read them it was hard to tell if you are serious or just trying to wind people up. You may stumble doesn't mean everybody else does. If you want to communicate it is up to you to make proper use of the language. The only people I have any sympathy when they can't spell in the age of the spell checker is people who are dyslexic or those poor people who were of an age when phonetic spelling was being experimented with. I make allowances for americans who don't seem to understand american English is not proper but an aberration. We all use english to communicate it is up to you to learn how to use it properly and write in a way that can be read so that people can read it and get a proper sense of what you mean. You disappoint me.

I can spell I can type, I just can't do both at the same time.
Snooz

Read, reed and red

Post by Snooz »

I bet you're one of those stuffy Brits that sees red when someone uses the word "gotten".
fuzzywuzzy

Read, reed and red

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

gmc;1365031 wrote:

I can spell I can type, I just can't do both at the same time.

I write in 'long hand, cursive'.....every word and spelling and grammar is inprinted in my mind ...I make no mistakes ....but to type or use the printed version of writing i'm hopeless. i was even told at school.."that's a bit fancy" ..I replied " no it's not ..I"m sorry, do you want me to print and be a dumbarse?" I worry for my children because they have no 'inprint' on their writing skills ....guess I was lucky.
gmc

Read, reed and red

Post by gmc »

SnoozeAgain;1365033 wrote: I bet you're one of those stuffy Brits that sees red when someone uses the word "gotten".

Why would that bother anyone if used correctly, it's the past participle of get. I've even gotten used to the funny spelling you use sometimes. Mind you the strange way you right dates is really confusing.
Snooz

Read, reed and red

Post by Snooz »

gmc;1365050 wrote: Why would that bother anyone if used correctly, it's the past participle of get. I've even gotten used to the funny spelling you use sometimes. Mind you the strange way you right dates is really confusing.

Versus left dates?
theia

Read, reed and red

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1365051 wrote: Versus left dates?

date's!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Ahso!

Read, reed and red

Post by Ahso! »

spot;1365014 wrote: I have an announcement to make.

Thank you for your attentive interest.gutsy!

Hello, Spot ;)
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Oscar Namechange

Read, reed and red

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Could be confusing to some, especially Walter Reed.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Read, reed and red

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1365082 wrote: Could be confusing to some, especially Walter Reed.

Surely that was Walter Reid?
Oscar Namechange

Read, reed and red

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Bryn Mawr;1365399 wrote: Surely that was Walter Reid?
Or Walter Red
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Read, reed and red

Post by chonsigirl »

Or Johnny Walker Red......................:lips:

Return to “Members' News”