Why Not More Participation?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

In the seven years that I have participated in this forum I have seen people come and go and assume that this happens as well in a number of different forums. One of the problems as I see it is the fact that most Americans are not interested in foreign politics or what's happening in your (out of the U.S.) neighborhood. They come on to FG and read from someone a happening in Leeds and say "Oh, looks like all Brits on here" and move on. On the other hand, folks in other countries besides the U.S. take an interest in U.S. politics and even local doings. Sadly, many of my countrymen not only are incapable of thinking outside the box, but outside the country as well. FG has one of the best formats that I have seen compared to most others and I hope that it can reach it's full potential and that's one of the reasons I hang in. Do I have a solution? No.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Very true Lon. We Brits do have an Interest In US politics and currant affairs but It seems not the other way. Perhaps It's because us Brits have a manner of giving the Impression to the US members not to post In our threads because we may ridicule the Input.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I only wish I knew Lon.

Whether it is an insular viewpoint or whether the Americans here feel defensive I cannot tell - I wouldn't blame them for the latter because there is a lot of anger at what is happening in the world and, as the only superpower, the US cops a lot of the blame for it in many people's eyes.

There is little that we can do about the world at large - we can express our opinions and be heard but little more.

We can, however, change the Garden - that is in our remit.

The Garden is many things - it is a place for discussion, a place for relaxation and a place to share experiences. I come here to get away from work and thinking about "the system" and what is wrong with it now! The last thing the I, personally, want is to see my friends sniping at each other - maybe others enjoy that as "the cut and thrust of life"?

I am tired! I'm 76 and I'm tired. Except for a week when I had Chickenpox I've worked hard since I was 17 - so what should I do now? Where should the Garden go?

I believe in the Garden, I have since I came here. It is a place where I can learn about the rest of the world, get new viewpoints on what is happening around me and get the laughs I need to keep me going so how can I make it grow? Posts feed on posts and if we loose critical mass then the Garden will effectively die.

What is turning longstanding members away? What is stopping new members from staying and joining in?

I do know that stirring the pot is not the answer - argument is not discussion, confrontation is not negotiation and we're here for fun, not for agro.

A forum is not face to face and what starts as a flippant remark can be taken as an insult but the opposite is true - I read a post and think whoooa but then re-read it and find the humour.

So how should the Garden progress - where now? You're the members - what would you like to see?
theia

Post by theia »

I really enjoy lively threads...these can be on serious subjects or nonsense topics. These threads seem to invite participation
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Well said Bryn that is how I see the Garden as well I wish I knew the answer. Then again maybe the answer is simple times have changed for everyone all over the world and our interest have changed as well. I know I haven't been around much in the past few months just no time. I work long hours as many of us still in the work force do. We have been asked to wear many hats daily for less money.

When I come here I read mostly and add a few comments. I have no desire to argue about anything political I just don't have the stomach for it right now. Doesn't mean I don't feel passionately about issues, just don't want to argue here about it I would rather sleep... !! :)

As you said stirring the pot isn't the answer and argument is not discussion nor is confrontation. I think this wears on posters as they have limited time to post and just don't want to get into it every darn day. I agree I love to have fun here and really enjoy a good sense of humor. This serious stuff every minute of every day not for me.. :) Where is NOMAD..!! :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Lon

Post by Lon »

Bryn Mawr;1373475 wrote: I only wish I knew Lon.

Whether it is an insular viewpoint or whether the Americans here feel defensive I cannot tell - I wouldn't blame them for the latter because there is a lot of anger at what is happening in the world and, as the only superpower, the US cops a lot of the blame for it in many people's eyes.

There is little that we can do about the world at large - we can express our opinions and be heard but little more.

We can, however, change the Garden - that is in our remit.

The Garden is many things - it is a place for discussion, a place for relaxation and a place to share experiences. I come here to get away from work and thinking about "the system" and what is wrong with it now! The last thing the I, personally, want is to see my friends sniping at each other - maybe others enjoy that as "the cut and thrust of life"?

I am tired! I'm 76 and I'm tired. Except for a week when I had Chickenpox I've worked hard since I was 17 - so what should I do now? Where should the Garden go?

I believe in the Garden, I have since I came here. It is a place where I can learn about the rest of the world, get new viewpoints on what is happening around me and get the laughs I need to keep me going so how can I make it grow? Posts feed on posts and if we loose critical mass then the Garden will effectively die.

What is turning longstanding members away? What is stopping new members from staying and joining in?

I do know that stirring the pot is not the answer - argument is not discussion, confrontation is not negotiation and we're here for fun, not for agro.

A forum is not face to face and what starts as a flippant remark can be taken as an insult but the opposite is true - I read a post and think whoooa but then re-read it and find the humour.

So how should the Garden progress - where now? You're the members - what would you like to see?

76 you are? Some how I thought you were a young squirt, but you are an old fart like me. :wah:

I have had a few barbs tossed my way in the time I have been on FG but don't take it personally. I guess as one gets older the skin gets a bit thicker, and yes, I think most of my countrymen can't stand any critique from abroad and do take it personally.

There is an attitude that what the U.S. does and says affects the rest of the world and not the other way around.

How about if each member would email just two friends that live else where and ask them to take a look at Forum Garden. The FG link should be included in the email.

If the individual joins they should tell who recruited them. I will do this my self right now and here's a copy of what I will say.

Hi Phillip,

I have been participating in a most interesting and thought stimulating on line forum for the past seven years and thought you might like to consider participating as well.

Go http://www.forumgarden.com

Kind regards,

Lon
Oscar Namechange

Carla.... Nomad Is very busy with his new business but I will tell him you asked after him on Facebook.

Maybe If we stopped the practice of second guessing what a members post meant or reading between the lines, there will be less bun fights for the amount of guests who log on just to watch.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Lack of enough time is my excuse. I do browse the front page and occasionally respond. But you can usually find me posting something on my "AFTR's Daily Commute" thread.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Oh thank Oscar I have Facebook now and would love to be his friend if nothing else to see how he is doing I miss him. :)

I like the not second guess what someone post meant we just need to lighten up... :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Bryn......70 bloody 6 ?

So that isn't your picture ?

I feel cheated, and what were you doing from 15 until you began working hard at 17 ?

I don't think it is an FG problem, several forums I belong to are at an all time low, compared to them this is vibrant.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1373496 wrote: Bryn......70 bloody 6 ?

So that isn't your picture ?

I feel cheated, and what were you doing from 15 until you began working hard at 17 ?

I don't think it is an FG problem, several forums I belong to are at an all time low, compared to them this is vibrant.

I paraphrase! :wah:

I worked every holiday from 14 until I started full time employment at 20 and I've worked every week from then except for one week between contracts when I had Chickenpox and they would not let me start the new contract.

No, thinking about it I did have two weeks off with pneumonia in the middle of a contract but they didn't pay me so I don't really count it.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I'm not interested in discussing politics. Is that the criteria for interesting posts now? Most of the heated threads in the past have been about politics or religion and, believe it or not, I don't care to engage in a pissing contest about those subjects. If that makes me incapable of thinking outside the box, then so be it.
Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1373494 wrote: Oh thank Oscar I have Facebook now and would love to be his friend if nothing else to see how he is doing I miss him. :)

I like the not second guess what someone post meant we just need to lighten up... :)
Carla... I will send you Nomad's real name and you can search for him on facebook and send him a friend request. I will ask his permission of course tonight first but I am sure he will be delighted.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1373499 wrote: I'm not interested in discussing politics. Is that the criteria for interesting posts now? Most of the heated threads in the past have been about politics or religion and, believe it or not, I don't care to engage in a pissing contest about those subjects. If that makes me incapable of thinking outside the box, then so be it.

Not in the slightest - if it is a discussion forum then it exists to discuss any subject the members are interested in but that will never preclude threads on any other subject under the sun.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Excellent I know his name and so far haven't found him. Maybe I have it spelled wrong. I would be grateful if you and thank you Oscar. :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

CARLA;1373503 wrote: Excellent I know his name and so far haven't found him. Maybe I have it spelled wrong. I would be grateful if you and thank you Oscar. :)

When you contact him, wish him well from me - please?
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Will do Bryn..!! :)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

Bryn Mawr;1373502 wrote: Not in the slightest - if it is a discussion forum then it exists to discuss any subject the members are interested in but that will never preclude threads on any other subject under the sun.

Maybe I'm just more irritable than usual, but that was how Lon's OP read. He even posted the same thing in Jones Jones' farewell thread, as if the lack of political discussion and particularly American ignorance on foreign policies, is going to be the death of this forum.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1373506 wrote: Maybe I'm just more irritable than usual, but that was how Lon's OP read. He even posted the same thing in Jones Jones' farewell thread, as if the lack of political discussion and particularly American ignorance on foreign policies, is going to be the death of this forum.

One instance rather than be-all-and-end-all.
Oscar Namechange

CARLA;1373503 wrote: Excellent I know his name and so far haven't found him. Maybe I have it spelled wrong. I would be grateful if you and thank you Oscar. :) Right, what I'll do is send you my e mail address so you can find me, then go into my friends list and look for him.
Lon

Post by Lon »

SnoozeAgain;1373506 wrote: Maybe I'm just more irritable than usual, but that was how Lon's OP read. He even posted the same thing in Jones Jones' farewell thread, as if the lack of political discussion and particularly American ignorance on foreign policies, is going to be the death of this forum.

I think that you misunderstand me Snooze-----It's not the lack of participation by existing members, but that there is not any NEW BLOOD coming on board. In addition, I personally am not just interested in politics and religion and if you will go to my list of threads you will see that I have tried to engage on a wide variety of topics. I have gone through your past threads and see that you too have a wide variety of interests, and that's good. Continue to post and read what pleases you.

One thing for sure-----my post got you to participate didn't it?
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

Lon;1373513 wrote: I think that you misunderstand me Snooze-----It's not the lack of participation by existing members, but that there is not any NEW BLOOD coming on board. In addition, I personally am not just interested in politics and religion and if you will go to my list of threads you will see that I have tried to engage on a wide variety of topics. I have gone through your past threads and see that you too have a wide variety of interests, and that's good. Continue to post and read what pleases you.

One thing for sure-----my post got you to participate didn't it?

No... Er I mean I guess so..
ellieR

Post by ellieR »

I recently joined and I am an American but do not understand the government issues in the UK. I do read some of the posts but do not feel qualified to respond.

The forum looked quite lively when I looked at it before joining but now see it isn't that active. I think a lot of forums go quite slow but in winter months pick up somewhat. I hope this forum will continue and get more lively with participation. It seems a lot of visitors do read.
gmc

Post by gmc »

Lon;1373454 wrote: In the seven years that I have participated in this forum I have seen people come and go and assume that this happens as well in a number of different forums. One of the problems as I see it is the fact that most Americans are not interested in foreign politics or what's happening in your (out of the U.S.) neighborhood. They come on to FG and read from someone a happening in Leeds and say "Oh, looks like all Brits on here" and move on. On the other hand, folks in other countries besides the U.S. take an interest in U.S. politics and even local doings. Sadly, many of my countrymen not only are incapable of thinking outside the box, but outside the country as well. FG has one of the best formats that I have seen compared to most others and I hope that it can reach it's full potential and that's one of the reasons I hang in. Do I have a solution? No.

You could lay the same claim at the door at many britishers as well. I find politics interesting but couldn't care two hoots about local issues in the states except there are surprising parallels and the different attitudes and approaches are interesting. I have more in common with someone from france or germany than I do with most americans despite the language problem we have a history in common and a political language with a common root. Left and right wing are terms understood by a spaniard or a german whereas most americans haven't a clue what I mean. We're also a small island nation shaped by our trading links, constant warfare and the free flow of ideas from abroad out of necessity we've acquired the habit of looking outward. If you luive i los angeles or the mid west I can understand why what happens abroad can seem irrelevant. We also travel more, you very seldom meet someone from the UK that has NOT been abroad several times. You can afford to be insular we can't. Unfortunately what america does impacts on us especially when we have political leaders desperate to get as far up the backside of the American president as possible so naturally we are more interested in american politics.

I also have the impression americans are not used to the idea of a **** take - comments meant in fun are taken literally and personally which it's actually a bit of a shock to be accused of being anti-american - you should see what we say about the french and germans but they don't take it personally.

Primarily I think it's because there was also a lot more happening seven years ago and more cause for disagreement and enjoyable debate. Now i think there is a broader consensus that the Iraq war and Afghanistan are stupid wars and less reason to argue. Maybe the occupy movement will get things but that is on a more domestic level so maybe international forums are simply less relevant than they were.

On the other hand social media is having a tremendous impact and twitter and the other one I've forgotten the name of have taken over from this kind of forum. Maybe it's simply this type of forum is becoming redundant.
tabby

Post by tabby »

A discussion on politics or religion can be tricky to navigate in any arena without it becoming overheated and emotional. It's not just online forums. For me, a little goes a long way. I already dread this next year prior to the presidential elections and hearing politics nonstop everywhere I turn ... radio, television, magazines, the grocery store checkout line, Christmas dinner with family, everywhere!

Plus I don't even pretend to know the answers. For example, to be honest, on the thread that was started on Gaddafi's death, all I really felt was sadness at the news even though I can't really say for certain why. I had no particular fondness for the man and although I'm certain his regime was as corrupt as most, it still seemed a terribly ignoble death for any man. Now having said that, I didn't live within the confines of the laws of the land or experience what his fellow countrymen did so what do I know? And all I could think to say on this momentous occasion was "I think I'm gonna miss seeing his flamboyant outfits."

NOW, you know why I won't be commenting much on politics and religion. With comments like that, you will breathe a sigh of relief! :rolleyes:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

On the other hand social media is having a tremendous impact and twitter and the other one I've forgotten the name of have taken over from this kind of forum. Maybe it's simply this type of forum is becoming redundant.

I hope not.

I prefer this type of discussion.

Unfortunately, my job has me pretty busy, and I have little time to be here, other than pop in and read the latest.

I find something on which I would like to comment, but by the time I can come back with time, the discussion has moved on.

I like the somewhat international flavor of this place.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
theia

Post by theia »

tabby;1373559 wrote: A discussion on politics or religion can be tricky to navigate in any arena without it becoming overheated and emotional. It's not just online forums. For me, a little goes a long way. I already dread this next year prior to the presidential elections and hearing politics nonstop everywhere I turn ... radio, television, magazines, the grocery store checkout line, Christmas dinner with family, everywhere!

Plus I don't even pretend to know the answers. For example, to be honest, on the thread that was started on Gaddafi's death, all I really felt was sadness at the news even though I can't really say for certain why. I had no particular fondness for the man and although I'm certain his regime was as corrupt as most, it still seemed a terribly ignoble death for any man. Now having said that, I didn't live within the confines of the laws of the land or experience what his fellow countrymen did so what do I know? And all I could think to say on this momentous occasion was "I think I'm gonna miss seeing his flamboyant outfits."

NOW, you know why I won't be commenting much on politics and religion. With comments like that, you will breathe a sigh of relief! :rolleyes:

Thank you, Tabby, for putting into words exactly what I was feeling but couldn't express
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

Oh, did JJ leave again?
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

Post by Snooz »

flopstock;1373646 wrote: Oh, did JJ leave again?

Yes, and quite dramatically. He went all Shakespearean on our ass.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1373648 wrote: Yes, and quite dramatically. He went all Shakespearean on our ass. Perhaps him and Ahso have been sucked Into the FG warp together.

Return to “General Chit Chat”