Hazing

Oscar Namechange

Hazing

Post by Oscar Namechange »

StopHazing.org -- "Educating to Eliminate Hazing"

I sat up late last night and watched the most astonishing documentary on Hazing In the USA.

People have actually died due to Hazing practices.

Why does US law allow this ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
gmc

Hazing

Post by gmc »

It' goes on here as well although perhaps to a lesser extent. Haven't you heard people argue that bullying at school is just part of growing up and you need to learn to deal with it? That's true to some extent but hazing is just bullying by another name but habit and custom make it acceptable and traditional. Takes a lot of guts to resist peer pressure.
Clodhopper

Hazing

Post by Clodhopper »

I seem to remember we had some cases a few years back where young recruits in the British Army were bullied to death and the enquiry unearthed a culture of unnecessary nastiness. Can't remember the name - some training camp or other, I think.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Hazing

Clodhopper;1376433 wrote: I seem to remember we had some cases a few years back where young recruits in the British Army were bullied to death and the enquiry unearthed a culture of unnecessary nastiness. Can't remember the name - some training camp or other, I think.

It was Deepcut Barracks
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Hazing

Post by Clodhopper »

That was it.

Funny thing, bullying. To a certain extent and in a very minor way, it is how the social pecking order in a group is established. But it can become a sick sadistic sport at the other extreme. It is quite clear that without GOOD discipline, pretty much any hierarchical organisation can be infected by bullying, which rarely if ever does anything but harm since it is about the power of the individual, not the good of the organisation.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
spot

Hazing

Post by spot »

gmc;1376431 wrote: Haven't you heard people argue that bullying at school is just part of growing up and you need to learn to deal with it?
Not for thirty years. Maybe you live in a strange part of the country that didn't keep up.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Hazing

Post by CARLA »

Hazing, initiation or whatever you want to call it has been going on forever in most high schools, colleges and in the military around the world not just the US. I agree its an awful practice and some die during the process.

I remember it from my college days with a sorority there was always some form of initiation into one. It was much more civil back then now they are just abusive and mean to pledges and cadets and people have died.
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Oscar Namechange

Hazing

CARLA;1376451 wrote: Hazing, initiation or whatever you want to call it has been going on forever in most high schools, colleges and in the military around the world not just the US. I agree its an awful practice and some die during the process.

I remember it from my college days with a sorority there was always some form of initiation into one. It was much more civil back then now they are just abusive and mean to pledges and cadets and people have died.

Carla, I could not believe my eyes. This was assault, battery, sexual violation and sexual abuse. These practices were not a one off Initiation but practised by the seniors every day for anything up to a year. Some Sorority's cut the newbie's off from family and other friends. Some were so brainwashed that they had to bring In an expert to de-programme them. If the victim tried leaving the Sorority then they faced a beating of which some had died.

This was not just In colleges but any training camp. We saw the story of one family who are suing a wrestling coach for allowing senior members to attack their son anytime they liked under the name of Hazing. This 11 year old was so deeply traumatised that he began to hide weapons all around the family home because he feared attack at any time.
CARLA

Hazing

Post by CARLA »

I agree this has gone to far in most cases is a crime and charges should be filed and it stopped now. Visious attacks on anyone for any reason over and over again shouldn't be allowed on any campus. :(
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

tabby

Hazing

Post by tabby »

Longwood fraternity suspended following hazing allegations | Richmond Times-Dispatch

This happened just two weeks ago here at a local university.
gmc

Hazing

Post by gmc »

spot;1376445 wrote: Not for thirty years. Maybe you live in a strange part of the country that didn't keep up.

I would refer you to the daily mail and all the other rags that go on about the namby pamby state interfering in everyday lives. Every time an issue like this comes up there is always someone claiming we all need to learn to cope with it, usually the same lot that want to bring back the birch and spank children.
spot

Hazing

Post by spot »

Life's too short to read a tabloid.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
fuzzywuzzy

Hazing

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Clodhopper;1376433 wrote: I seem to remember we had some cases a few years back where young recruits in the British Army were bullied to death and the enquiry unearthed a culture of unnecessary nastiness. Can't remember the name - some training camp or other, I think.

There is about to be some court martialling here of officers in our navy over something to do with a young seaman (female) being spanked or something. And we've just had incidents where male recruits filmed a liason between two recruits having sex which one decided that his mates needed to see it (through skype) in the next room . I'll try to find both stories.
Blackslax

Hazing

Post by Blackslax »

US law does not allow it.

At one time it was an accepted induction ritual that was thought to be harmless.

Then people got hurt and died.

Then laws were enacted to prevent hazing.

Bullying in schools is following the same path at this time.
fuzzywuzzy

Hazing

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

The World Today - New sex scandal plagues Defence Forces 06/04/2011

Female sailor lived in fear, inquiry hears
Blackslax

Hazing

Post by Blackslax »

In today's news:

Student's Death Turns Spotlight on Hazing The death of a drum major in the Florida A&M marching band has turned a spotlight on a culture of hazing in the band and prompted four investigations into it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/us/fl ... &emc=tha23
Oscar Namechange

Hazing

Blackslax;1377338 wrote: In today's news:

Student's Death Turns Spotlight on Hazing The death of a drum major in the Florida A&M marching band has turned a spotlight on a culture of hazing in the band and prompted four investigations into it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/us/fl ... &emc=tha23 Awful !!

Return to “Current Events”