Gary Johnson for President?

Discuss Presidential or Prime Minister elections for all countries here.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I haven't really heard of this guy, which has earned me scorn in libertarian circles. I plan to vet him, though. (I'd initially written that I'd check him out, but that just sounds ... wrong)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOVERNOR GARY JOHNSON ANNOUNCES HE WILL SEEK LIBERTARIAN NOMINATION

“Today I am announcing that I will seek the Libertarian nomination for President of the United States. The Libertarian Party nominee will be on the ballot in all 50 states – as they were in 2008, and will offer a principled alternative to the Republican and the Democrat.

“This was both a difficult decision – and an easy one. It was difficult because I have a lot of Republican history, and a lot of Republican supporters. But in the final analysis, as many, many commentators have said after examining how I governed in New Mexico, I am a Libertarian — that is, someone who is fiscally very conservative but holds freedom-based positions on the issues that govern our personal behavior.

“Frankly, I have been deeply disappointed by the treatment I received in the Republican nomination process. I had hoped to lay out a real libertarian message on all the issues in the Republican contest. The process was not fair and open.

“This election is about issues larger than party or personal ambition.The future of our country is at stake. “

I believe this election needs a true libertarian voice. While Ron Paul is a good man and a libertarian who I proudly endorsed for president in 2008, there is no guarantee that he will be the Republican nominee.

“My Agenda for America, a libertarian agenda, is clear. It is not at an agenda you will hear from any other candidate or party.

I want to end deficit spending and cut federal spending by 43%.

I want to enact the Fair Tax to stimulate real economic growth and job creation.

I want to end the manipulation of our money by the Federal Reserve.

I support the Second Amendment and oppose gun control.

I oppose expensive foreign wars in places like Libya and Afghanistan where our national interest is not clear.

I want to cut the over-regulation of our families, our businesses and our lives.

I support a woman’s right to choose.

I support marriage equality for gay Americans, as required by the Constitution.

I support the legalization of marijuana, which will save us billions and do no harm.

I demand a government free of special interest influence, crony capitalism and corruption.

I support returning strict adherence to Constitutional principles to our government.

​“I am confident this agenda will resonate with the American people because it actually reflects the true beliefs of a clear majority of Americans. Sadly, neither the Republicans nor Democrats will offer this agenda to the American people. The Republicans talk about cutting spending and taxes but insist on government regulating our personal lives. The Democrats support more liberal social policies but they will tax and spend and borrow us into bankruptcy. America needs a third way.

“I know first-hand that my governing philosophy works because of my experience as a successful two-term governor, elected and reelected as a Republican in a Democrat state. I know how to create jobs because I have created jobs. My record on job creation is superior to Barack Obama, Mitt Romney or any other candidate. I successfully governed as a Libertarian in everything but the name, and I am running for president as a Libertarian.

Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

I could vote for Johnson.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

I'd love to know where the Constitution requires marriage equality for gay Americans. I'd love to know where the Constitution mentions marriage at all.
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

I'm resurrecting this four-year-old thread because Johnson will definitely be running on the Libertarian ticket in 2016 and he may NOT ONLY have a chance of becoming the next POTUS but also establishing his party as a major political entity if Donald Trump manages to destroy the Republican party as he seems to be doing.

To quote the late George Harrison, "I'm a dark horse, and I'm running on a dark race course"
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

My favorite governor, and a home-state hero of mine personally. He advocated for the legalization of marijuana long before it became reality. He used to bike, climb mountains, and generally be a great leader for everyone in our state. I'd love to vote for him, and I may even do so, if for no other reason than to give the bird to Trump. But I'll most likely vote for Hillary.

I am a dyed-in-the-wool liberal after all...

Oh hey, on a side note. Lately I've taken to putting my "Obama 2012" car magnet on and driving around town just to piss off the rednecks. Great fun! I just hope none of them shoot me.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I could consider voting for the guy. I was impressed with him during the 2012 primary, but he fell out pretty early. The GOP was already starting to unravel back then.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

I would like to vote for somebody but this Gary Johnson guy I just can't stomach that.

I like a lot of what Libertarians stand for, but just too unrealistic.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1496512 wrote: I would like to vote for somebody but this Gary Johnson guy I just can't stomach that.

I like a lot of what Libertarians stand for, but just too unrealistic.

What is it about him that you feel is unrealistic?

I always wonder when they bring up "Fair Tax" and wonder how such a thing will "stimulate economic growth"

Wonderful words, really, but words are cheap.
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

LarsMac;1496513 wrote: What is it about him that you feel is unrealistic?

Isolationism didn't work so well in the '30s and is super stupid today. Our current President is doing a lot of that and I am not impressed with the results.

I am constantly amazed at the hatred of the Federal Reserve.

Not going to say if this is good or bad, but the Internal Revenue Service is here to stay. Best to do a Reagan on the tax code, again. I know like budging the huge boulder up the hill only to have it roll back down.

I hate the concept of a "Fair Tax" /Consumption Tax. Better to see my tax up front, a place where I can direct my annoyance.

LarsMac;1496513 wrote: I always wonder when they bring up "Fair Tax" and wonder how such a thing will "stimulate economic growth"

Wonderful words, really, but words are cheap.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

tude dog;1496515 wrote: Isolationism didn't work so well in the '30s and is super stupid today. Our current President is doing a lot of that and I am not impressed with the results.

I am constantly amazed at the hatred of the Federal Reserve.

Not going to say if this is good or bad, but the Internal Revenue Service is here to stay. Best to do a Reagan on the tax code, again. I know like budging the huge boulder up the hill only to have it roll back down.

I hate the concept of a "Fair Tax" /Consumption Tax. Better to see my tax up front, a place where I can direct my annoyance.

We are somewhat in agreement.

I tend towards the idea of raising the tax a bit on higher incomes, since I think we have some pretty good evidence that the Trickle Down thing does NOT work. (At least not in the way the Reaganites led folks to believe.)
- DH Lawrence
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Accountable;1380057 wrote: I'd love to know where the Constitution requires marriage equality for gay Americans. I'd love to know where the Constitution mentions marriage at all.

I don't believe the Constitution has to. Seems to me when the state enforces any laws they must be equally applied.

In the Oaklahoma And Marriage, thread on post #24, I wrote Ever since this nonsense of "homosexual marriage" became and issue it was apparent to me is the best resolution is for the state to get out of the marriage business.
flopstock

Post by flopstock »

I"m liking this guy

Gary Johnson: I stopped using marijuana to be "knife sharp" - CBS News
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

El Veto-Voter

Post by El Veto-Voter »

If the election was a popularity contest to choose who would be the better friend or neighbor, then the choice would be easy. Gary Johnson is the only nice person running for President this election.

All the other candidates have one thing in common. They want to tell us all how to live our lives. They are busy-body power-mongers who want to rule. They may mean to rule well, but they do mean to rule.

The two big-party candidates are both proven liars, over and over again. Neither can be trusted. Neither can be believed. It is downright dangerous to give any power to pathological liars.

Unfortunately most politicians are pathological liars. Some are just more difficult to catch than others.

And elections aren't about who would make a good neighbor. Elections are about who is fit to rule over others.

It is my opinion that there isn't anybody on this planet fit to rule over others.

If, as the slogan says, "Your Vote Is Your Power!" then I refuse to give my power to any politician.

Voting makes the voter an accomplice to the winning politicians' political crimes.

I can't accept those terms, so my conscience won't let me vote. Not even for a nice guy like Gary.

El Veto-Voter

HaltVote.org
No one in power represents me. I do not give my consent. HaltVote.com

Mark Aspam

Post by Mark Aspam »

El Veto-Voter;1500290 wrote: All the other candidates have one thing in common. They want to tell us all how to live our lives. They are busy-body power-mongers who want to rule. They may mean to rule well, but they do mean to rule.

The two big-party candidates are both proven liars, over and over again. Neither can be trusted. Neither can be believed. It is downright dangerous to give any power to pathological liars.

Unfortunately most politicians are pathological liars. Some are just more difficult to catch than others.

And elections aren't about who would make a good neighbor. Elections are about who is fit to rule over others.

It is my opinion that there isn't anybody on this planet fit to rule over others.

If, as the slogan says, "Your Vote Is Your Power!" then I refuse to give my power to any politician.

Voting makes the voter an accomplice to the winning politicians' political crimes.What a pile of crap! I'm a 75-year-old American and I have no idea where the Sonoran desert is, do they even teach civics and government in the school(s) there?

Your political representatives are in office because you or your neighbors selected them at the voting booth. If you don't like the way they are performing you can vote against them in the next election.

I am a lifelong Democrat, I live in a part of the state of Illinois that is mostly Republican. As might be expected, I don't like much of the agendae of the GOP office holders, but I would not describe a single one of them as you have done to politicians in general.

Our city recently elected a new mayor, a Republican. I voted for her because I was unhappy with the former mayor, a Democrat, and I'm glad that he was voted out, but I wouldn't describe him by ANY of the terms you used.

I expect to vote for the current mayor if she runs again. If she somehow loses her way she will no doubt be voted out. That's called politics.

If you don't like the political climate in your desert hideaway, don't call them names, just vote them out. Or run for office yourself.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

El Veto-Voter;1500290 wrote: If the election was a popularity contest to choose who would be the better friend or neighbor, then the choice would be easy. Gary Johnson is the only nice person running for President this election.

All the other candidates have one thing in common. They want to tell us all how to live our lives. They are busy-body power-mongers who want to rule. They may mean to rule well, but they do mean to rule.

Voting makes the voter an accomplice to the winning politicians' political crimes.

I can't accept those terms, so my conscience won't let me vote. Not even for a nice guy like Gary.

El Veto-Voter

HaltVote.org

Well, there is your biggest problem. You expect to be "ruled over" by some knucklehead for whom you have no respect.

These people are not rulers. Not even leaders. They are being hired to be administrators of the government organizations.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1500310 wrote: Well, there is your biggest problem. You expect to be "ruled over" by some knucklehead for whom you have no respect.

These people are not rulers. Not even leaders. They are being hired to be administrators of the government organizations.

And maybe one day they will behave that way
El Veto-Voter

Post by El Veto-Voter »

Mark Aspam;1500301 wrote: What a pile of crap! I'm a 75-year-old American and I have no idea where the Sonoran desert is, do they even teach civics and government in the school(s) there?

Your political representatives are in office because you or your neighbors selected them at the voting booth. If you don't like the way they are performing you can vote against them in the next election.

I am a lifelong Democrat, I live in a part of the state of Illinois that is mostly Republican. As might be expected, I don't like much of the agendae of the GOP office holders, but I would not describe a single one of them as you have done to politicians in general.

Our city recently elected a new mayor, a Republican. I voted for her because I was unhappy with the former mayor, a Democrat, and I'm glad that he was voted out, but I wouldn't describe him by ANY of the terms you used.

I expect to vote for the current mayor if she runs again. If she somehow loses her way she will no doubt be voted out. That's called politics.

If you don't like the political climate in your desert hideaway, don't call them names, just vote them out. Or run for office yourself.

I think I understand where you are coming from. I grew up in southern Illinois, along the Mississippi River. When I was in college I spent a quarter in Springfield, where I used my lunch hours to listen to the Illinois legislature debates. It always struck me as unfair that the best arguments were by the downstate (R) legislators, but that the Chicago Political Machine (D) rode roughshod over everybody anyway. It was a real good lesson in the "fairness" of electoral politics.

I have since studied and rejected the so-called philosophies of each branch of the political spectrum, though libertarianism (if it could be implemented) would come closer to my beliefs than most others.

What is taught in the government schools around me has no bearing on my education. Neither does the subject matter I learned in college or any other institution. Leaving one's education up to schooling is a sure recipe for ignorance.

I would not describe any single one of our local officials in the terms that they deserve when lumped together. Because they do not act in their own names, in their own capacities, but rather they subjugate us in unison. It is not any individual politician that is the problem, it is the entire system.

And, if we choose to enable them, we are also the problem. It isn't how we vote -- it is "if" we vote that matters to their power structure.

Thank you for giving some real food for thought.

By the way, I have run for office and received more than 70,000 votes. But that doesn't make me qualified to rule over you, does it?

Likewise with all of them. If it isn't right for me to do to you, it isn't right for "us" to do to "them" and it isn't right for "government" to do to everybody.

Right is right; wrong is wrong; majority approval doesn't change it.
No one in power represents me. I do not give my consent. HaltVote.com

Return to “Presidential Elections Campaigns”