The 2012 FG Winter Walkabout

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
spot

Post by spot »

JJ's post about past meets reminded me that we've not tried to construct one for a couple of years now. We did London, then Birmingham, then London again when Pinkchick got snowed in at Gatwick trying to go home, but nothing significant since.

Let's take a straw poll.

Dates: Any day or days from Friday night until Tuesday evening, the last week of January. That's six days' notice, the 27th to the 31st.

Location: Walking on Dartmoor, with a map and a compass and backpacks, sleeping at whatever Youth Hostels are open. There's three open, now I look - Exeter, Okehampton and Princetown. I suggest Exeter for the Friday night and then something more exposed. They're each £13.50 a night per person. You'll need at least a sleeping bag and warm waterproof boots.

There should be nobody on the planet who can't book a flight and be there. Who's up for it?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

You are mad, Dartmoor and tents in January :wah:
spot

Post by spot »

We have our first volunteer!

Come on Boopster, every time we've done this in winter in the past the country's ground to a halt as a result. You're meant to be a regular at these things and I bet you've got just the right cardi for it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

spot;1381852 wrote: We have our first volunteer!

Come on Boopster, every time we've done this in winter in the past the country's ground to a halt as a result. You're meant to be a regular at these things and I bet you've got just the right cardi for it.

I have a cardi, I have a tent, I have lots of warm sleeping bags too but sadly the baby has no cardi or sleeping bag or an all terrain buggy!
spot

Post by spot »

Bah. Wimpish child.

Is FG not due another photo of this indoor paragon?
spot

Post by spot »

There's a breathless hush in The Close tonight, I notice. Come out you skulking brutes, I called for volunteers.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

spot;1381965 wrote: There's a breathless hush in The Close tonight, I notice. Come out you skulking brutes, I called for volunteers.

I have a tent and I have a cardi, however,

The thought of being on the Moors with you for company ?????

It has all the attraction of Dysentery.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
spot

Post by spot »

You felt the need to say that in public, did you.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1381968 wrote: You felt the need to say that in public, did you.

Yes.

Come on Spot..... members are not exactly champing at the bit to join you are they? LOL
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

oscar;1381969 wrote: Yes.

Come on Spot..... members are not exactly champing at the bit to join you are they? LOL

That's the point, it's January, we'd freeze, we're not meant to be chomping at the bit :wah:

Spot is anti social it's the ideal outcome for him :wah:
Oscar Namechange

Betty Boop;1381970 wrote: That's the point, it's January, we'd freeze, we're not meant to be chomping at the bit :wah:

Spot is anti social it's the ideal outcome for him :wah: I might be up for It... I have skills that may come In handy... starting fires etc
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

The last time I went camping, I was in the military. it was called a bivouac and we played war games (like gas mask training). Strangely, camping hasn't appealed to me since then.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1381971 wrote: I might be up for It... I have skills that may come In handy... starting fires etc

The sole reason you're in this thread is the usual, your hapless addiction to excitement. You brought it with you, it's not something the site's foisted on you since your arrival. I can't even guess how you acquired it or whether your one-time school associates would recognise your current behaviour as representative of your early talents. Whatever those might have been, the end result is the sort of person who lowers house prices in a neighbourhood just by moving in.

The thread, oscar, is a jape. Nobody but myself and my grown children are going to be strolling the Dartmoor hills next weekend as a result of this, unless someone competent and interesting like Clod decides to get some fresh air. The joke is in the complete unlikelihood of anyone wanting to participate in the cold and the rain of January. It's soured when words like dysentery are flung around for grandstanding look-at-me effect by people who decades back lost the ability to restrain themselves.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1381976 wrote: The sole reason you're in this thread is the usual, your hapless addiction to excitement. You brought it with you, it's not something the site's foisted on you since your arrival. I can't even guess how you acquired it or whether your one-time school associates would recognise your current behaviour as representative of your early talents. Whatever those might have been, the end result is the sort of person who lowers house prices in a neighbourhood just by moving in.

The thread, oscar, is a jape. Nobody but myself and my grown children are going to be strolling the Dartmoor hills next weekend as a result of this, unless someone competent and interesting like Clod decides to get some fresh air. The joke is in the complete unlikelihood of anyone wanting to participate in the cold and the rain of January. It's soured when words like dysentery are flung around for grandstanding look-at-me effect by people who decades back lost the ability to restrain themselves.

And there we have It.... Spot's hapless addiction to assuming he knows all there Is about a member from posting on the Internet. Oh the self Imposed Importance LOL

As It happens Spot, I would venture Dartmoor In winter. Are you not man enough?

Really... If you think this Is excitement, my god.... you need to get out more PMSL

Come on Spot... who are you trying to kid ? This thread wasn't a joke... You were serious. You got no offers and to save face then post It's a joke. You even bumped the thread after It slipped out of page one.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1381850 wrote: JJ's post about past meets reminded me that we've not tried to construct one for a couple of years now. We did London, then Birmingham, then London again when Pinkchick got snowed in at Gatwick trying to go home, but nothing significant since.

Let's take a straw poll.

Dates: Any day or days from Friday night until Tuesday evening, the last week of January. That's six days' notice, the 27th to the 31st.

Location: Walking on Dartmoor, with a map and a compass and backpacks, sleeping at whatever Youth Hostels are open. There's three open, now I look - Exeter, Okehampton and Princetown. I suggest Exeter for the Friday night and then something more exposed. They're each £13.50 a night per person. You'll need at least a sleeping bag and warm waterproof boots.

There should be nobody on the planet who can't book a flight and be there. Who's up for it?

Sorry, spot, I've got a bone in my leg...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

******sigh********
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1381980 wrote: Sorry, spot, I've got a bone in my leg...

I'm sure I heard Mae West say something like that in a film once.

We would, it goes without saying, be pleased to see you.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1381984 wrote: I'm sure I heard Mae West say something like that in a film once.

We would, it goes without saying, be pleased to see you.

It's something my mother used to say to my children when they were little.

I've been saying it to my nearly 2 year old granddaughter each time I've struggled to get to my feet after sitting on the floor with her. Yesterday, she kept clutching her leg and hobbling over to me saying, "Nannie, Nannie, bone" in such a woeful little voice. What have I done!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

Should anyone be mistakenly doubting my bona fides as regards this suggested walking weekend thread, I draw their attention to the date at the bottom right...

Attached files
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

theia;1381992 wrote: It's something my mother used to say to my children when they were little.

I've been saying it to my nearly 2 year old granddaughter each time I've struggled to get to my feet after sitting on the floor with her. Yesterday, she kept clutching her leg and hobbling over to me saying, "Nannie, Nannie, bone" in such a woeful little voice. What have I done!

I'm impressed you can get on the floor, my knees are a wreck and it's nearly impossible to lower myself without ending in a free fall.
Oscar Namechange

SnoozeAgain;1382019 wrote: I'm impressed you can get on the floor, my knees are a wreck and it's nearly impossible to lower myself without ending in a free fall.

I have absolutely no problem getting on the floor.... It's getting up again that Is the problem.
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

We had a 'meeting' that the second level thought would be fun if we all met outside on the lawn... this was late June and it was still a bit chilly and the grass was wet from rain earlier that morning, but he's the boss so we all went. He provided four... FOUR chairs and most of the work force are well over forty years old. I stupidly thought I could sit on the lawn but halfway down my knees gave out and I landed on my hand. Crunch. I sat there cursing under my breath for the hour it took him to tell his stupid stories that he somehow thinks count as a safety briefing. Found out later I had broken the outer metacarpal on my left hand. I blame him for that. Stupid boss.
theia

Post by theia »

SnoozeAgain;1382035 wrote: We had a 'meeting' that the second level thought would be fun if we all met outside on the lawn... this was late June and it was still a bit chilly and the grass was wet from rain earlier that morning, but he's the boss so we all went. He provided four... FOUR chairs and most of the work force are well over forty years old. I stupidly thought I could sit on the lawn but halfway down my knees gave out and I landed on my hand. Crunch. I sat there cursing under my breath for the hour it took him to tell his stupid stories that he somehow thinks count as a safety briefing. Found out later I had broken the outer metacarpal on my left hand. I blame him for that. Stupid boss.

Ouch...that sounds incredibly painful.

I used to feel quite annoyed when my parents would let out a groan every time they got up from a sitting position...now I know why. And I bet it annoys my children too.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1382049 wrote: Ouch...that sounds incredibly painful.

I used to feel quite annoyed when my parents would let out a groan every time they got up from a sitting position...now I know why. And I bet it annoys my children too.

Groan?? you sure that's a groan... :lips::wah:
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1381965 wrote: There's a breathless hush in The Close tonight, I notice. Come out you skulking brutes, I called for volunteers.

As a counter proposal I'd suggest Up Helly Aa on the 31st - the weather should be better than Dartmoor and the spectacle amazing.

Boat over on the 30th, the 1st to recover and boat back on the 2nd - what say thee?
spot

Post by spot »

Have you an estimate of the travel cost? I bet it'd be cheaper to hire a light aircraft then use the train and ferry.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1382057 wrote: Have you an estimate of the travel cost? I bet it'd be cheaper to hire a light aircraft then use the train and ferry.

The flight to Aberdeen and then the light aircraft to Lerwick comes out over £500 but fly to Aberdeen and then take the ferry for about £100.
theia

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1382055 wrote: Groan?? you sure that's a groan... :lips::wah:

Hey, you!!!!

:yh_rotfl
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1382058 wrote: The flight to Aberdeen and then the light aircraft to Lerwick comes out over £500 but fly to Aberdeen and then take the ferry for about £100.

So for ten of us, the plane's the way.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1382060 wrote: So for ten of us, the plane's the way.

No, that's each - it's a scheduled flight.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1382013 wrote: Should anyone be mistakenly doubting my bona fides as regards this suggested walking weekend thread, I draw their attention to the date at the bottom right...

I might disagree with some of your opinions, spot, but I would never doubt your honesty
spot

Post by spot »

theia;1382062 wrote: I might disagree with some of your opinions, spot

You must try harder, theia. I'll find you a handbook on elementary logic if that helps.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1382062 wrote: I might disagree with some of your opinions, spot, but I would never doubt your honesty

I've seen him do it too often to imagine it's not going to happen - I, however, have more sense.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;1382064 wrote: You must try harder, theia. I'll find you a handbook on elementary logic if that helps.

Nah...sod logic
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1382064 wrote: You must try harder, theia. I'll find you a handbook on elementary logic if that helps.

What? You want her to disagree with lots of your opinions?
spot

Post by spot »

One moment, please, while I find my dudgeon...
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

spot;1382074 wrote: One moment, please, while I find my dudgeon...

Look up.
WonderWendy3

Post by WonderWendy3 »

So, when do I need to jump on a plane and to where? I'm ready....camping in January sounds fun!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

WonderWendy3;1382275 wrote: So, when do I need to jump on a plane and to where? I'm ready....camping in January sounds fun!

Start now and you'll just about arrive in time :-)
spot

Post by spot »

We're 20 hours from launch, there's three booked and our thinking is that we foregather in Exeter for Friday night and walk onto the moor to somewhere suitably remote roughly west of Widecombe-in-the-Moor during the daylight hours of Saturday, where we'll pitch camp until Tuesday morning. If I can get a signal thereafter I'll have the map reference posted on Saturday evening but it's not guaranteed. We can sleep and cater for an extra three but please, if you're showing up impromptu, bring at least a sleeping bag and suitable clothing - we do not need casualties.

As with previous FG meets, here's the number of the phone I'll be carrying: 0777 277 2935.
spot

Post by spot »

So, anyway. Three of us arrive in Ivybridge on Saturday morning. North of us is South Dartmoor, followed eventually by North Dartmoor. We decide to ignore the far bit and concentrate on getting to the centre of the first, as far from roads as we can get, to pitch camp. Some hours later, leaving Ugborough Moor and striking out on sheep-paths to the west, we decide on a site a half mile north-east of the Kiss-in-the-Ring stone circle with a view down the Erme valley. There's two stone circles immediately north of us and Hook Lake flowing by just below the tents. We had those up in short order, made coffee and heated the day's main meal.

Between then and about 2am the temperature plummeted though it was never above freezing from when we arrived to when we came down. We started with no cloud cover and immensely bright clear stars until the clouds arrived some time after midnight and took the icy chill off. We were all dry and comfortable over breakfast. We made a widdershins tour to the east edge of the moor, back past the Heap of Sinners and along the Abbot's Way past Stinger's Hill before dropping south alongside the Erme to the campsite, following the impressive stone row for quite some distance.

It had started snowing, flakes around 1pm building to a steady fall by 3pm, and it didn't let up until well gone midnight by which time there was around four inches settled over the campsite. That turned to rain, which continued to fall with perhaps an hour's interruption until we left. It was now Monday and we had a choice, either to stay in camp or to walk a circuit or to pull out. Given that there'd been a weather alert issued for the moor by this point and that it was due to get colder as the week progressed we settled on extracting ourselves.

It took two hours circumnavigating raised flowing surface water before we could get the nominal mile to a useable walking path and even that would have floated a canoe. After a half mile it settled to being no more than a couple of inches of running water and stayed that way until we came down just to the east of The Sportsman's Arms. They had a fire burning over which we dried as the sun went down, they provided us with Guinness and a large cod and chips each, they were just what we needed.

So, not four days out, just the three but well worth the time, I'm pleased we went. No other FG regulars, sadly, but one can't have everything.

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Glad the three of you enjoyed yourselves - Bournemouth and back was quite tiring enough for me, the extra two hundred miles would have spoilt our day.
Oscar Namechange

So... 'The 2012 FG Winter Walkabout' title Is not exactly accurate then ? As no FG members took up the offer...

More, The Spot and two friends winter walkabout.

There were friends I hope Spot. Not just two people waiting at a bus stop.
spot

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1383620 wrote: Glad the three of you enjoyed yourselves - Bournemouth and back was quite tiring enough for me, the extra two hundred miles would have spoilt our day.

The sea froze over just after you left. I take it that's pure coincidence.
spot

Post by spot »

oscar;1383624 wrote: So... 'The 2012 FG Winter Walkabout' title Is not exactly accurate then ? As no FG members took up the offer...

More, The Spot and two friends winter walkabout.

There were friends I hope Spot. Not just two people waiting at a bus stop.Both the others are lurkers. Lurkers have been explicitly invited to all the FG UK meets, just as they were to this one.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1383626 wrote: Both the others are lurkers. Lurkers have been explicitly invited to all the FG UK meets, just as they were to this one.

Well, going by the pics, I must admit I admire your tenacity In such weather.

I have made two trips to Dartmoor In such weather but had the advantage of a lodge at our disposal and that was still freezing.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1383625 wrote: The sea froze over just after you left. I take it that's pure coincidence.

It was hell, pure hell :-)
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1383630 wrote: It was hell, pure hell :-) What ? Bournemouth ?
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1383632 wrote: What ? Bournemouth ?

The sea - why else would it freeze over?
Týr

Post by Týr »

What we think, having thought about it, is Dartmoor's bigger then we can get across in a day once we've pitched the tents, so we can't get all over it.

Except if we take pushbikes.

Mid-February, we thought. It sounds as though we've talked ourselves into a corner we can't back out of, to be honest. The bikes are all we're not convinced of at the moment.

Anyway, my notion is hovering over Bike Shorts.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Return to “General Chit Chat”