Refrigerate Butter?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1167862 wrote: ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

gotta have cold milk!

I can still recall my grade school days and they made us drink milk at least once a day and it was always luke warm. I need it ice cold too.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1168146 wrote: Oh yes, I do take fish oil too. I got one kind that I hated account I could taste it all day after. Now I get the kind that has a slow dissolve case. I take the generic of Zocor per doctors orders. I eat oatmeal quite a lot too. I read it is good for that but not the instant kind so I use regular oatmeal and add raisins. Sometimes cinnamon.

oatmeal is wonderful for cholesterol also!

problem is, I have to put brown sugar on it!:lips:
Life is just to short for drama.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1168218 wrote: I can still recall my grade school days and they made us drink milk at least once a day and it was always luke warm. I need it ice cold too.

ewwwwwwww luke warm?

sometimes before a meal, I put a glass in the freezer for 10 minutes.......oh so very cold!:guitarist
Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

sunny104;1167874 wrote: they have healthy versions of spreads now. :-6

or you can use peanut butter! :D
That's the top layer, the peanut butter. ;)
flopstock

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by flopstock »

Accountable;1168329 wrote: That's the top layer, the peanut butter. ;)

Peanut Product Recalls: Salmonella Typhimurium

one way or the other... if you eat, you die.:sneaky:
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

flopstock;1168355 wrote: Peanut Product Recalls: Salmonella Typhimurium

No guts no glory!

Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Accountable;1168356 wrote: No guts no glory!

PB&J.........awesome!:guitarist:guitarist
sunny104

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by sunny104 »

flopstock;1168355 wrote: Peanut Product Recalls: Salmonella Typhimurium

I never stopped eating it...:yh_hypno
Rapunzel

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Rapunzel »

The original butter thread :-4 ..... like Sunny above it's on the road again! :wah::wah::wah:
Bill Sikes

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Bill Sikes »

The pat of butter I'm working slowly through has been in the fridge, and it's gone rancid. It's OK (quite tasty) with Marmite. It's not in the 'fridge now, 'cos I'm using it.
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Bill Sikes;1222207 wrote: The pat of butter I'm working slowly through has been in the fridge, and it's gone rancid. It's OK (quite tasty) with Marmite. It's not in the 'fridge now, 'cos I'm using it.

Thanks for the update.

Hows the milk doing ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1222257 wrote: Thanks for the update.

Hows the milk doing ?

My butter is fine but the milk is gone...kids go through a gallon every 2 days:-5
Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and

only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weenie microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

I AM AWESOME MAN
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Nomad;1301995 wrote: Pass The Butter .. Please.

This is interesting . .. .

Margarine was originally manufactured to fatten turkeys. When it killed the turkeys, the people who had put all the money into the research wanted a payback so they put their heads together to figure out what to do with this product to get their money back.

It was a white substance with no food appeal so they added the yellow coloring and sold it to people to use in place of butter. How do you like it? They have come out with some clever new flavorings..

DO YOU KNOW.. The difference between margarine and butter?

Read on to the end...gets very interesting!

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams; compared to 5 grams for margarine.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter, according to a recent Harvard Medical Study.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients in other foods.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few and

only because they are added!

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years .

And now, for Margarine..

Very High in Trans fatty acids.

Triples risk of coronary heart disease .

Increases total cholesterol and LDL (this is the bad cholesterol) and lowers HDL cholesterol, (the good cholesterol)

Increases the risk of cancers up to five times..

Lowers quality of breast milk.

Decreases immune response.

Decreases insulin response.

And here's the most disturbing fact.... HERE IS THE PART THAT IS VERY INTERESTING!

Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE away from being PLASTIC... and shares 27 ingredients with PAINT

These facts alone were enough to have me avoiding margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated (this means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the substance).

You can try this yourself:

Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it open in your garage or shaded area. Within a couple of days you will notice a couple of things:

* no flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it (that should tell you something)

* it does not rot or smell differently because it has no nutritional value ; nothing will grow on it. Even those teeny weenie microorganisms will not a find a home to grow. Why? Because it is nearly plastic . Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

When margarine first came out butter makers were scared. They got laws passed so that margarine could not be colored yellow like butter, but, margarine makers placed a small packet inside the clear plastic bag the margarine was in and when you pressed on the packet it broke inside the margarine packet and you kneaded it until it was yellow like butter. Somehow that law got deleted I guess.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1301998 wrote: When margarine first came out butter makers were scared. They got laws passed so that margarine could not be colored yellow like butter, but, margarine makers placed a small packet inside the clear plastic bag the margarine was in and when you pressed on the packet it broke inside the margarine packet and you kneaded it until it was yellow like butter. Somehow that law got deleted I guess.

I remember doing that when I was a kid!:

I always made sure mom would let me do it!
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1301999 wrote: I remember doing that when I was a kid!:

I always made sure mom would let me do it!

Thinking back, I am not sure why we bought it. We did have a cow and granny made butter in her little glass jar butter churn. It had a crank and wooden paddles inside. But yes, I did color the margarine on occasion.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1302025 wrote: Thinking back, I am not sure why we bought it. We did have a cow and granny made butter in her little glass jar butter churn. It had a crank and wooden paddles inside. But yes, I did color the margarine on occasion.

I love hearing about how things were done way back when.

Maybe she used margarine over butter for something else.

That would take a long time making it that way.

I remember a horse drawn cart with milk, margarine and butter, each day I just had to run out and pet the horse.:-6
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1302059 wrote: I love hearing about how things were done way back when.

Maybe she used margarine over butter for something else.

That would take a long time making it that way.

I remember a horse drawn cart with milk, margarine and butter, each day I just had to run out and pet the horse.:-6

Oh yes. I remember the ice cream wagon and the ice wagon. The ice man would give us pieces of ice and we had a card to place in the screen door with the size of block of ice we wanted. 25, 50 ,75, or 100. He would read it from the street and carry it in and put it in the box. We had chickens and a garden and a basement full of canned goods from the garden. We did not even have a car for many years so traded gas ration stamps for sugar stamps. Not sure what all you had to have stamps for.

Dad would drive a stake in the ground where lots of grass was and tie the cow to the stake until evening he would go get it. We had a barn and hay manger etc.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1302082 wrote: Oh yes. I remember the ice cream wagon and the ice wagon. The ice man would give us pieces of ice and we had a card to place in the screen door with the size of block of ice we wanted. 25, 50 ,75, or 100. He would read it from the street and carry it in and put it in the box. We had chickens and a garden and a basement full of canned goods from the garden. We did not even have a car for many years so traded gas ration stamps for sugar stamps. Not sure what all you had to have stamps for.

Dad would drive a stake in the ground where lots of grass was and tie the cow to the stake until evening he would go get it. We had a barn and hay manger etc.

I don't think we had an ice wagon, as I cannot remember.

oh that is so nice having your own chickens, a garden and so many home made canned goods.

that's funny about your cow being tied up to eat grass all day.
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1302116 wrote: I don't think we had an ice wagon, as I cannot remember.

oh that is so nice having your own chickens, a garden and so many home made canned goods.

that's funny about your cow being tied up to eat grass all day.

Yes, it was nice to have peaches and pears and cherries and of course lots of beets and tomatoes and so forth. we had a walnut tree but that was no big deal since walnut trees grew all over the place.

We made home made ice cream a lot since we had the milk and eggs. we just had to get extra ice. Dad had eight brothers, all farmers so at times we all met in the country and us kids skinny dipped while the men played horse shoes and the women set a great table with food of all sorts.
AussiePam

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by AussiePam »

Okie;1302130 wrote: Yes, it was nice to have peaches and pears and cherries and of course lots of beets and tomatoes and so forth. we had a walnut tree but that was no big deal since walnut trees grew all over the place.

We made home made ice cream a lot since we had the milk and eggs. we just had to get extra ice. Dad had eight brothers, all farmers so at times we all met in the country and us kids skinny dipped while the men played horse shoes and the women set a great table with food of all sorts.

What a fantastic memory, Okie!!! Happy Easter, retrospectively. Hope a bunny laid you an especially delicious egg :sneaky: . I've got Dieter in tow for the school holidays.. he's so big now. He ate 6 croissants for his brekkie, can you believe that?!!! All made with butter, of possibly the non refrigerated kind.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

AussiePam;1302133 wrote: What a fantastic memory, Okie!!! Happy Easter, retrospectively. Hope a bunny laid you an especially delicious egg :sneaky: . I've got Dieter in tow for the school holidays.. he's so big now. He ate 6 croissants for his brekkie, can you believe that?!!! All made with butter, of possibly the non refrigerated kind.

I did enjoy Easter a lot. We had Easter dinner here and the kids hunted eggs in the lawn then we went over to Dustins house and babysat the kids while Karen and Dustin and Shannon all went out to hunt morels.

That is so great Dieter has a good appetite. Dustins boy does too. I did get some pics but not while hunting, just a group. I will get them online after I get a cd made.

Caleb does have a big appetite too but he is not a real big boy.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Hi Pam!

Did you have a good Easter?

I love talking about the old days!

just seemed simply then.
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1302150 wrote: Hi Pam!

Did you have a good Easter?

I love talking about the old days!

just seemed simply then.

Really life was simple for me at least. People never locked their house or car. When I was about 12 or so I would carry a shotgun or rifle out the front door and down the street to the river. No one seemed to mind. We had no tv then and I did listen to mysteries on the radio but mostly I stayed out until after dark. When I was a boy I would take a note to the neighborhood store and get groceries and they would just write it down in a book. On payday dad took his check to the store and cashed it and paid them for the last two weeks groceries. Stores uptown all closed at 6 pm except Thursday evening they stayed open until 9.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1302156 wrote: Really life was simple for me at least. People never locked their house or car. When I was about 12 or so I would carry a shotgun or rifle out the front door and down the street to the river. No one seemed to mind. We had no tv then and I did listen to mysteries on the radio but mostly I stayed out until after dark. When I was a boy I would take a note to the neighborhood store and get groceries and they would just write it down in a book. On payday dad took his check to the store and cashed it and paid them for the last two weeks groceries. Stores uptown all closed at 6 pm except Thursday evening they stayed open until 9.

My parents never locked our doors either.

In the summer heat, they would sleep outside under our carport on fold a way beds.

Your right, no one seemed to mind much back then and life was much simpler it seemed.

I still remember our black and white t.v, then along came a plastic screen to place over it to make it look like it had colour, wow, we thought that was the best.

You would never allow a child to stay out after dark now a days.

and no stores would take credit for 2 weeks.
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Odie;1302163 wrote: My parents never locked our doors either.

In the summer heat, they would sleep outside under our carport on fold a way beds.

Your right, no one seemed to mind much back then and life was much simpler it seemed.

I still remember our black and white t.v, then along came a plastic screen to place over it to make it look like it had colour, wow, we thought that was the best.

You would never allow a child to stay out after dark now a days.

and no stores would take credit for 2 weeks.

We had a street light on the corner across the street from my house so we played near the streetlight until bedtime. We boxed and wrestled etc but we also liked to pick up rocks and toss into the air towards bats and watch them whirl around and dive after the rock mistaking it for a bug.

We played games after dark like hide and seek and that sort of thing.

I slept on a screenporch that had canvas to roll down if I wanted. Like sleeping outside really.I loved it. No sounds of snoring or clocks ticking, just nature sounds.
Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

Okie;1302201 wrote: We had a street light on the corner across the street from my house so we played near the streetlight until bedtime. We boxed and wrestled etc but we also liked to pick up rocks and toss into the air towards bats and watch them whirl around and dive after the rock mistaking it for a bug.

We played games after dark like hide and seek and that sort of thing.

I slept on a screenporch that had canvas to roll down if I wanted. Like sleeping outside really.I loved it. No sounds of snoring or clocks ticking, just nature sounds.

That does sound fun playing after dark, its just makes it more spooky!:guitarist

If I slept outside now, someone would murder me.:wah:
AussiePam

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by AussiePam »

Are we really that much less secure now, or are people just more afraid?
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Odie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Odie »

AussiePam;1302272 wrote: Are we really that much less secure now, or are people just more afraid?

I know in Canada Pam, we are no longer secured.

There are numerous murders here in Toronto every day.
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

AussiePam;1302272 wrote: Are we really that much less secure now, or are people just more afraid?

You might have a point. Now people hear about every murder and beating etc all over the country or the world really. At one pint in time, we only heard a small amount of news at 6 pm and 10 pm on the radio and some in the local newspapers in the evenings. Now everyone carries a cell phone with a camera in it and you see almost every mugging that goes on. But yes, I would be scared to sleep out in the front lawn for sure.
Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

Halloween is only a week away. Can we resurrect this undead thread?
Okie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Okie »

Accountable;1340573 wrote: Halloween is only a week away. Can we resurrect this undead thread?

I have tried a few times to not refrigerate and it always ended the same. A puddle of butter in the butter dish. Long ago when I worked for a railroad, we had to keep government shipments of butter at -10% but for commercial just under 32% was alright. the difference is that butter never freezes but if it is kept below -10% it will keep a long time without becoming rancid. Of course one stick will not become rancid normally since it is eaten faster than that. I love butter whipped up with molasses. Put it on hot biscuits and its great.
valerie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by valerie »

Accountable;1340573 wrote: Halloween is only a week away. Can we resurrect this undead thread?

Why sure!!

(Along with some undead members...)

:yh_giggle:yh_pumpkn:yh_battin
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

Well, Hey, darlin!!

:yh_hugs :yh_hugs
valerie

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by valerie »

Hey backatcha!

To stay on topic, I should mention I had several pats of

BUTTER on my english muffins

this morning...

:-4
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

I buttered up my boss so I could take the day off. :wah:
YZGI

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by YZGI »

Accountable;1341581 wrote: I buttered up my boss so I could take the day off. :wah:

Um, which part of your boss did you butter?:sneaky::wah:
flopstock

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by flopstock »

I've been using that 'cant believe it's not butter ' lately. It's actually pretty good for a fake food product..
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Nomad

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Nomad »

Oh for Christ's sake....
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Accountable »

Nomad;1341730 wrote: Oh for Christ's sake....
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

I cannot believe its not butter will never be even close to butter.

Bruv what say you now eh eh eh
LarsMac

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by LarsMac »

I dunno. It's right next to the butter at my grocer.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
theia

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by theia »

buttercup;1385836 wrote: I cannot believe its not butter will never be even close to butter.

You did it :-5
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

But its not butter, not even close in taste, don't matter where you put it or what you call it.
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

theia;1385839 wrote: You did it :-5

I did warn you x
theia

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by theia »

buttercup;1385841 wrote: I did warn you x

Okay, okay :yh_sigh...how did the butter know that it was doing well?
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

I don't know, how did the butter know it was doing well?
theia

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by theia »

buttercup;1385848 wrote: I don't know, how did the butter know it was doing well?

Because it was on a roll! Boom Boom!
Bruv

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by Bruv »

buttercup;1385836 wrote: I cannot believe its not butter will never be even close to butter.

..........................someone is obsessed with butter..........................guess who ?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
buttercup

Refrigerate Butter?

Post by buttercup »

theia;1385854 wrote: Because it was on a roll! Boom Boom!

Its the way you tell em x

Return to “General Chit Chat”