Rugby Union: Australia 6 Scotland 9 In a washing machine!

Discuss all types of sports.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Congratulations Scotland on a feisty win in appalling conditions in Newcastle, Australia. Scotland, ranked 12th in the world were level on scores with Australia (ranked 2nd) when the hooter went for full time. There were a couple of minutes added on and Scotland forced their way upfield in the teeth of the gale to the 22 metre line where, after a succession of scrums, they won a penalty which Laidlaw put over the crossbar with the last kick of the game.

Scotland have now won back to back victories over the Aussies, home and away. Few teams ever do that. Neither side was at full strength and Australia had a ridiculously short time to prepare for this game but even so almost everyone, myself included, expected Australia to win, and fairly comfortably, against a Scottish side that has had little success and much frustration in recent years, and is ranked ten places lower.

Last year Australia had a similar start to their season, losing to Samoa, but went on to win the Tri-Nations in great style. They have to do something similar now, because a young, talented and tough Welsh side is looking to make its mark on the World Rugby scene having won the 6 Nations and a bit of Wallaby steak would do them just fine.

1st Test Australia Wales is on Saturday. Can Dingo Deans herd his Wallabies into the right sort of place, or are the Welsh going to Eisteddfodd all over Brisbane? If you're the betting type, I'd say put your money on the Welsh.

(Oh, and yes, Australia - the rest of us are indeed giggling.:))
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Whatever the conditions, it was a great result for the Scots
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Yep. It would just be on a par with Scottish Rugby luck recently that Ansbro has hurt himself badly in the accidental headbutt during the celebrations. We're in fractured eye socket territory.

I didn't see the game myself, sadly, owing to my Murdoch boycott, but I've picked up the key stuff from various reports and clips. I'm beginning to think that any game played when climatic conditions go below a certain low point, they should count as a Scottish Home game. :)

What is becoming clear is that the Aussie scrum is weak. Those brilliant Aussie backs can only make up for so much, and if the conditions are Scottish Home Game, well...

I really do rate the Welsh highly at present. The weakness in previous good Welsh sides in recent years has been a lack of mental toughness. This lot I think have that toughness. And real talent. Aussie nouse should never be underestimated, and my prediction notwithstanding, a wounded sporting Aussie is a very very dangerous beast. But I think this Welsh side really might be better or at least as good across the park. And I'm well aware of the Welsh habit of bigging every Welsh side up this way. chuckle. like the problem with conspiracy theories - the mass of false alarms make it difficult to spot the real threat. In my opinion, these boyos are a real threat.

Scottish Rugby is important to British Rugby. This was an important result for British Rugby.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1395605 wrote: Yep. It would just be on a par with Scottish Rugby luck recently that Ansbro has hurt himself badly in the accidental headbutt during the celebrations. We're in fractured eye socket territory.

I didn't see the game myself, sadly, owing to my Murdoch boycott, but I've picked up the key stuff from various reports and clips. I'm beginning to think that any game played when climatic conditions go below a certain low point, they should count as a Scottish Home game. :)

What is becoming clear is that the Aussie scrum is weak. Those brilliant Aussie backs can only make up for so much, and if the conditions are Scottish Home Game, well...

I really do rate the Welsh highly at present. The weakness in previous good Welsh sides in recent years has been a lack of mental toughness. This lot I think have that toughness. And real talent. Aussie nouse should never be underestimated, and my prediction notwithstanding, a wounded sporting Aussie is a very very dangerous beast. But I think this Welsh side really might be better or at least as good across the park. And I'm well aware of the Welsh habit of bigging every Welsh side up this way. chuckle. like the problem with conspiracy theories - the mass of false alarms make it difficult to spot the real threat. In my opinion, these boyos are a real threat.

Scottish Rugby is important to British Rugby. This was an important result for British Rugby.

Anything that punctures the aura of invincibility is important to British Rugby :-)

Return to “Wide World of Sports”