I got 12 out of 15
Lon

US Religious Knowledge Quiz

Post by Lon »

12 of 15 for me
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Uh oh. I got 15 of 15. Should I be worried?
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

13/15 for me. I was guessing with what the Supreme Court allowed and had never even heard of the First Great Awakening. And Jonathan Edwards is a triple jumper.

The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Snooz

Post by Snooz »

I got 13! hahahaha I'm a good guesser, I guess.
spot

Post by spot »

You answered 14 out of 15 questions correctly.

What I find curious is that the one I got wrong was the one 89% of "Overall Population" got right, far and away the question most respondents knew the answer to. It was, as you might imagine, not about religion, it was about a Supreme Court decision.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

14 out of 15. Missed the Pakistani question though I almost chose Muslim.

Really wasn't much of a quiz.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Clodhopper;1396031 wrote: 13/15 for me. I was guessing with what the Supreme Court allowed and had never even heard of the First Great Awakening.
Me neither. I must've slept late that day.
gmc

Post by gmc »

13 out of 15, jewish sabbath begins friday? Bit pedantic but never mind. and who is jonathan edwards when he's at home? Surprisingly i guessed the supreme court question correctly.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1396030 wrote: Uh oh. I got 15 of 15. Should I be worried?

Nope. we're in good company.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I'm disgusted with myself. 15/15 correct. Really, though, the questions were way too easy.
spot

Post by spot »

AnneBoleyn;1396050 wrote: I'm disgusted with myself. 15/15 correct. Really, though, the questions were way too easy.

Did you note that the average phone-sample score was 7 or 8, and that the consistent top scorers self-identified as atheists or agnostics?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

spot;1396052 wrote: Did you note that the average phone-sample score was 7 or 8, and that the consistent top scorers self-identified as atheists or agnostics?
That's always the case. Atheists, etc. seem to know more about god topics than most believers. I suppose many come to disbelieve by objective study, or study to "prove" their points of view.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

AnneBoleyn;1396053 wrote: That's always the case. Atheists, etc. seem to know more about god topics than most believers. I suppose many come to disbelieve by objective study, or study to "prove" their points of view.

I suspect that the majority of the respondents who identify with a particular religion are quite content to know about their specific religion, and have little interest in other religious views. So, when the questions are out of their "area of expertise" they fail, miserably.

And most non Pentecost Christian have no idea who Jonathan Edwards was.

IT was a fairly easy test, though.

Some of religion-oriented FG trivia sessions are much more challenging.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

14 for me - as with others, I know nothing of the First Great Awakening
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1396131 wrote: 14 for me - as with others, I know nothing of the First Great Awakening

The "Great Disappointment" was pretty interesting. It happened at the tail end of the "Second Great Awakening".
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

Wandrin;1396137 wrote: The "Great Disappointment" was pretty interesting. It happened at the tail end of the "Second Great Awakening".
:wah: THIS is why we should have reps.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

Accountable;1396145 wrote: :wah: THIS is why we should have reps.

The "Great Disappointment" is covered by numerous books. It spawned the Seventh Day Adventists, the Christadelphians, and was important to Bahai. The Branch Davidians of David Koresh fame trace their roots back to this event as well. 1844 was a busy year.
YZGI

Post by YZGI »

13 of 15. Guessed a couple. My 95 yr old Methodist minister grandfather would have expected better of me. Though I don't adhere these days.
spot

Post by spot »

Wandrin;1396137 wrote: The "Great Disappointment" was pretty interesting. It happened at the tail end of the "Second Great Awakening".

I've been reading into 19th century Seventh Day Adventism since seeing this, on the grounds that I wanted to know what happened next. The best place to get the flavour, I reckon, is their contemporary journal. I've got to 1880 - skimming, as you do - and found this pearl of preaching. It is exquisite.

Advent Review and Sabbath Herald, Battle Creek, Mich., Tuesday, September 27, 1881 volume 58 number 14 p.211-2

A Scarcity, by Elder Wm. Covert.

WHEN God would warn the Antediluvians of a coming flood, only Noah was found to preach the message. When Israel were to be delivered from Egyptian bondage, Moses alone was ready to carry forward the work. Although seven thousand had refused to worship Baal in the days of Elijah, yet Elijah was the only teacher among them all who stood up publicly for the truth of God, while eight hundred and fifty prophets of Baal and the groves stood up against him. I believe that Satan has usually had about eight hundred and fifty false teachers to array against each one of the Lord's ministers. Even the professed church of Christ has heaps of itching-eared teachers in these last days while the people of God are obliged to exhort one another because of a scarcity of ministers to prepare the church for the last conflict.

Were it not that the prophets have foretold these things, I should be greatly astonished at the lack and the laxity upon this point at the present time. The Lord is soon coming, and the close of probation, before that event, will end all earthly opportunities; and in our ranks there are hundreds of young people who profess to believe these things, who, if they would consecrate themselves to God as they should, could labor acceptably in this cause; yet they choose to follow some other calling. Accordingly, we see them knocking at the doors of the different departments of trade and labor, where there is such a throng of applicants that we may literally call them "legion." The weak are trodden down, and the unfortunate made miserable by their failures, while the successful become proud of their own abilities, and careless of their salvation because of business obligations. So they are led by their occupations and associations away from God and down to ruin.

I know of some who have resisted impressions to teach the truth, and are now on ship, with a through ticket to Tarshish. But the good Spirit of the Lord is still following them, and I hope that they may yet return to duty. Dear friends, remember that although the Lord may not have any whales prepared to swallow you on your voyage, yet there are many sharks infesting the waters over which you will have to paddle your own canoe on your return trip; and should you, through carelessness or want of skill, permit some wave to throw you overboard, you will certainly be devoured by them.

Our schools can find an abundant supply of teachers. The popular pulpit can secure plenty of preachers. Thousands are ready to become farmers and mechanics, merchants and mariners, soldiers and officers. Miners are plenty, and lawyers and drummers in endless variety can be found. Brethren and sisters, why will you who have the ability to help carry forward the last message, and feel that God wants you to work in it, run away from duty when there is such a scarcity of help, and try to crowd in somewhere else where you are not especially needed? If you have not gone to sleep in the side of the ship, as Jonah did, I hope that you will prayerfully consider these things.

http://www.adventistarchives.org/docs/R ... -14__B.pdf

Return to “General Religious Discussions”