Would the world be better off if all of one faith?

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Lon

Post by Lon »

WOULD THE WORLD BE BETTER OFF IF ALL OF ONE FAITH?

What caused me to think about this was having had the "Jehovah Witness" visit my front door last week. I got to thinking about the Spanish Conquistadors and their efforts to convert the heathen, my own "Seventh Day Adventist" missionary grand parents and their efforts in Haiti, and of course the young "Mormon" missionaries with their zeal and fervor seeking converts.

What if one of these faiths had won the conversion battle and we were all of one faith. Despite the fact that Islam in the 9th Century was highly creative and innovative in math, astronomy and medicine,would we all be better off today with Islam, particularly Fundamental Islam? If we were all "Catholic" would that be the end of wars and poverty? I personally think it would be a disaster if the entire world was of one mind set. I suspect that creativity and innovation would go out the window for IMO the differences in our mind set is what has been responsible for the good things that are available to us. Those differences have caused us to "think outside the box".
Accountable

Post by Accountable »

A homogeneous society would certainly be less volatile, but better off? That's too subjective to say. I personally don't think so.
tabby

Post by tabby »

There could never be one worldwide faith. Publicly perhaps but not privately. Human nature being what it is, there will always be religious dissenters.

I don't think the world would be better off with one official religion even if it came to that. Within existing countries where one official religion is mandated or strongly pushed, the people are no better off in any way that I can see.
weelynnie

Post by weelynnie »

I have to agree. We'd have to be in the world of Star Trek, where there appears to be no religion, for this to work. I'm happy with there being multiple religions in this world. I just wish they could all get along.
Wandrin

Post by Wandrin »

One of the things that differentiates a religion from a belief or faith is the hierarchal political structure found in all religions. Without the point of reference of other religions, that political hierarchy assumes unchecked power. As an example of what that looks like, look at the Dark Ages. Science was forbidden, art was suppressed, armies were used to destroy all writings that did not match the dogma espoused by the hierarchy. The standard of justice was that if someone died during the torture, drowning, burning, etc. then they were proved to be innocent. The top tiers of the hierarchy became very wealthy at the expense of everyone else.

Another characteristic of a religion is that the political hierarchy gets to create its own rules, dogma, rituals, and requirements that are to have the same weight as the words of the founder of the belief system on which the religion was formed. During the Dark Ages, the pope declared himself to be infallible, and of course did not have to follow the rules he created (thus sons of popes).

No thank you. I cannot see how such a monopoly would make the world a better place.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Maybe, if one of the principals of the religion was Anarchy.

But, then, probably not.

People by nature tend to cluster into groups. The "we" and the "they"

If you put seven people in an enclosed environment it would not be long before they formed at least two groups, and left one out.

Over time, they would reform groups several times. and even if they came up with one single group, at least one would be 'outcast'
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
gmc

Post by gmc »

The likelihood of the world ever being of one mind set is IMO negligible to non existent. The problem with all monotheist religions is they demand conformity and will use force if they have to. It's kind of been there tried that didn't work after centuries of religious warfare and misery we live in a secular society where all religions are at least nominally equal. Godless but free and happy because of it.

Do Americans learn about the protestant reformation and the age of enlightenment? Arguably the US is one of the biggest beneficiaries of that period in European history and you're welcome. I occasionally watch god tv and often wonder of any of the audience have ever studied history. Mind you we have our religious nutters as well they don't have much influence thankfully.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

gmc;1410350 wrote: The likelihood of the world ever being of one mind set is IMO negligible to non existent. The problem with all monotheist religions is they demand conformity and will use force if they have to. It's kind of been there tried that didn't work after centuries of religious warfare and misery we live in a secular society where all religions are at least nominally equal. Godless but free and happy because of it.

Do Americans learn about the protestant reformation and the age of enlightenment? Arguably the US is one of the biggest beneficiaries of that period in European history and you're welcome. I occasionally watch god tv and often wonder of any of the audience have ever studied history. Mind you we have our religious nutters as well they don't have much influence thankfully.

Simple answer, not really.

I have spoken to many a pastor, holding a DR of Divinity, who never really studied the history of the faith.

And most Americans seem to feel that history is a waste of time.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
AnneBoleyn

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Do Americans learn about the protestant reformation and the age of enlightenment? Arguably the US is one of the biggest beneficiaries of that period in European history and you're welcome
Yes, of course we learn that! European History is generally taught at the high school level.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

While I think no poverty being linked to Christianity is so far out from left field it requires a wholehearted reassessment of the rules that market, I think everyone does operate with the same faith. Adams calls it "realistic humanism". You'll like his book A Society Fit for Human Beings it's a fantastic read.

Walter T Stace as well
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

gmc;1410350 wrote:

Do Americans learn about the protestant reformation and the age of enlightenment? Arguably the US is one of the biggest beneficiaries of that period in European history and you're welcome. I occasionally watch god tv and often wonder of any of the audience have ever studied history. Mind you we have our religious nutters as well they don't have much influence thankfully."beneficiary"? If we're to stay within the context of naturalism we invariably end up at the military industrial complex.

Return to “General Chit Chat”