I curse...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

this hill daily, but I'm mighty glad I live at the top of the hill tonight. The village underneath is flooded, as is a lot of Devon and Cornwall.

Feel for the poor souls who are affected by all this, horrible weather and more to come. High tide is at 2 am so more flooding to come yet around these parts. Rain seems to have eased for now but more sweeping in tomorrow morning.

Look out you lot up country, it's headed your way!

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/10 ... E/?ref=rss
chonsigirl

I curse...

Post by chonsigirl »

Stay safe up there Betty!
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I curse...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Every time we move we swear we're not going to live at the top of a hill any longer but we always end up that way - windy but safe :-)

Surely the rain has to stop soon, this year it's been never ending!
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1411277 wrote: Every time we move we swear we're not going to live at the top of a hill any longer but we always end up that way - windy but safe :-)

Surely the rain has to stop soon, this year it's been never ending!

We just nipped out for milk and eggs. The village is clear, guess we are lucky to have a harbour to pump the water into. Cormac are down there sweeping the streets and clearing up. Shop owners are clearing their shops out, the pubs appear to be busy. It could have been worse if the sea was rough too, that would have meant being flooded two ways, yesterday was due to the river breaching its banks. We're more used to being flooded by the sea in rough weather.

More rain just arrived, lets hope it's not going to be as much as yesterday's 15 hour non stop deluge.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I curse...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1411280 wrote: We just nipped out for milk and eggs. The village is clear, guess we are lucky to have a harbour to pump the water into. Cormac are down there sweeping the streets and clearing up. Shop owners are clearing their shops out, the pubs appear to be busy. It could have been worse if the sea was rough too, that would have meant being flooded two ways, yesterday was due to the river breaching its banks. We're more used to being flooded by the sea in rough weather.

More rain just arrived, lets hope it's not going to be as much as yesterday's 15 hour non stop deluge.

We'll be adding our hope to yours :-)
Oscar Namechange

I curse...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I thought I'd been lucky until last night.... I went out to the Foxes last night In torrential rain. I had to laugh as they were no where to be seen and then 4 heads poked out of a hole In my neighbours garage and peered out at me..... My front garden was flooded. My side path to the back patio was under 3 Inches of water and omg... I was alive with frogs.... frogs everywhere.

Glad you are safe on the hill BB...
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

Are you going to start feeding the frogs too? :wah:

Don't think the rain we had late this afternoon did too much damage around here, more on it's way in the early hours and throughout tomorrow apparently.

Have heard rumours that some of my son's school has been flooded although nothing official. I guess if the school is shut tomorrow the radio stations will be announcing it and they'll be sending a text.

Hope you lot up there aren't getting too much rain again tonight, watched a lot of black cloud pass over here all afternoon.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I curse...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1411314 wrote: Are you going to start feeding the frogs too? :wah:

Don't think the rain we had late this afternoon did too much damage around here, more on it's way in the early hours and throughout tomorrow apparently.

Have heard rumours that some of my son's school has been flooded although nothing official. I guess if the school is shut tomorrow the radio stations will be announcing it and they'll be sending a text.

Hope you lot up there aren't getting too much rain again tonight, watched a lot of black cloud pass over here all afternoon.

I've fled south - the black clouds had reached Leicester by the time I left
Oscar Namechange

I curse...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Betty Boop;1411314 wrote: Are you going to start feeding the frogs too? :wah:

I'm not that mad ....

It hasn't stopped raining here all evening and my front garden Is still flooded.... My husband who went to bed early tonight just said to me ' Make sure you don't skid on a frog when you go out'.... now not many wives have had that said to them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

Village is flooded again, lots of heavy rain all day today, the river was looking pretty swollen when I went out at three on the school run. We didn't return until nine tonight at which point my neighbour rang me to warn me I wouldn't make it home the normal route. Drove miles out into the country and then cut across country through a single track lane, along with several others, got a bit dicey in places with people having to reverse to let others by, seems everyone decided to take that route :wah:

Fire brigade is down in the village pumping out, with a high tide due at midnight, hopefully the road will be cleared by tomorrow in time for the rush hour otherwise the school run could be interesting!

Pretty sure there is more rain due overnight now too, just to add to the problem. One poor business down in the village lost everything in the December floods, they are slowly sorting themselves out and were preparing to re open soon, I hope they haven't been badly affected again.
flopstock

I curse...

Post by flopstock »

Betty Boop;1422971 wrote: Village is flooded again, lots of heavy rain all day today, the river was looking pretty swollen when I went out at three on the school run. We didn't return until nine tonight at which point my neighbour rang me to warn me I wouldn't make it home the normal route. Drove miles out into the country and then cut across country through a single track lane, along with several others, got a bit dicey in places with people having to reverse to let others by, seems everyone decided to take that route :wah:

Fire brigade is down in the village pumping out, with a high tide due at midnight, hopefully the road will be cleared by tomorrow in time for the rush hour otherwise the school run could be interesting!

Pretty sure there is more rain due overnight now too, just to add to the problem. One poor business down in the village lost everything in the December floods, they are slowly sorting themselves out and were preparing to re open soon, I hope they haven't been badly affected again.

time to come visit across the pond ms boop!
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

flopstock;1422996 wrote: time to come visit across the pond ms boop!

Well, you never know Flops, passport is on order, should have it soon.

Might take a while to save up though :wah:
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I curse...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1422971 wrote: Village is flooded again, lots of heavy rain all day today, the river was looking pretty swollen when I went out at three on the school run. We didn't return until nine tonight at which point my neighbour rang me to warn me I wouldn't make it home the normal route. Drove miles out into the country and then cut across country through a single track lane, along with several others, got a bit dicey in places with people having to reverse to let others by, seems everyone decided to take that route :wah:

How did this turn out? Did the extra rain cause problems? are you OK?
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

Bryn Mawr;1423143 wrote: How did this turn out? Did the extra rain cause problems? are you OK?

Fire brigade had cleared it by the early hours, luckily the further rain we had was a lot lighter so it all calmed down. The local businesses are still dealing with the second lot of damage but most re-opened the following day.
Bryn Mawr
Site Admin

I curse...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1423147 wrote: Fire brigade had cleared it by the early hours, luckily the further rain we had was a lot lighter so it all calmed down. The local businesses are still dealing with the second lot of damage but most re-opened the following day.

That's a relief! Kernow has suffered enough already - you can do with a break.
Týr

I curse...

Post by Týr »

If Cornwall was stretched by a mere thirty miles it could get the weather currently enjoyed by the Scilly Isles. And people could drive to sunny beaches instead of having to take a boat. All the rain repeatedly flooding the unfortunate Boop would fall on Bodmin where it rightly belongs.

Somewhere around Liskeard, that's where the extra bit needs inserting. And if the new extra insert were 30 miles of built-up conurbation then the Cornish would finally be able to shop properly. Nobody's really using Archway and the Holloway Road, for example, and if that stretch of North London were to Go West and settle alongside Liskeard everyone would benefit.

The Cornish could even take Highgate as well, and register on the social sophistication index for the first time.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Betty Boop

I curse...

Post by Betty Boop »

Týr;1423202 wrote: If Cornwall was stretched by a mere thirty miles it could get the weather currently enjoyed by the Scilly Isles. And people could drive to sunny beaches instead of having to take a boat. All the rain repeatedly flooding the unfortunate Boop would fall on Bodmin where it rightly belongs.

Somewhere around Liskeard, that's where the extra bit needs inserting. And if the new extra insert were 30 miles of built-up conurbation then the Cornish would finally be able to shop properly. Nobody's really using Archway and the Holloway Road, for example, and if that stretch of North London were to Go West and settle alongside Liskeard everyone would benefit.

The Cornish could even take Highgate as well, and register on the social sophistication index for the first time.

Are you looking for a reaction :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
Týr

I curse...

Post by Týr »

Betty Boop;1423206 wrote: Are you looking for a reaction :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

Oh yes, it's no fun without.
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!

Return to “General Chit Chat”