Question...

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Question...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

here's one for you....

We have had two new arrivals In the past few weeks.

First, my great great nephew born to my 17 year old great niece. Having sent me pics via e mail she stressed ' Please don't post on Facebook as I don't want people and strangers gawping at him yet'...

The other Is my 40 something sister who was present yesterday at the birth of her grand-daughter and within 3 seconds of the baby drawing breath, she was on Facebook.

Myself... I applaud one decision and condemn the other.

What do you think ? Feel free to be honest.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

Question...

Post by Snooz »

I don't see anything wrong with posting baby photos on FB.
Mustang

Question...

Post by Mustang »

You respected your niece's wishes and it just sounds like your sister is an excited new grandmother. Nothing wrong with that.
theia

Question...

Post by theia »

I'd go with the first choice. Though that could be a generational thing.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Question...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

With babies I don't see the problem - for anyone older, what Facebook are doing is totally wrong (IMHO).
Oscar Namechange

Question...

Bryn Mawr;1419028 wrote: With babies I don't see the problem - for anyone older, what Facebook are doing is totally wrong (IMHO).

I am really confused about my feelings on this.

I applaud my young great niece for being so grown up and responsible and I have to admit I was a tad perturbed at the other baby being posted within seconds.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Question...

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't get the point of living your every moment through FB. I cringe at others temper tantrums, their darkest moments, I don't mind the happier moments and feel happiness for them too but please do we have to know every sodding minute detail of their days :wah:

My kids are disgusted with me that at the moment I won't let them post photo's of themselves, they are also disgusted that both the accounts are attached to my email addresses so I can keep an eye on what is going on. Too many parents have no idea at all what goes on on FB and elsewhere of course, and they really should be making the effort to learn how to check up on their kids.
Bryn Mawr

Question...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1419029 wrote: I am really confused about my feelings on this.

I applaud my young great niece for being so grown up and responsible and I have to admit I was a tad perturbed at the other baby being posted within seconds.

Babies features change so rapidly that their imaging software does not stand a chance. Once they're older the links they can make scare me sh1tless
weeder

Question...

Post by weeder »

My grandchildren's photos have been splashed on FB from the moment they were born, and then every day after that for the past year. I feel this is very wrong, and potentially dangerous. Since the children do not have a choice, to me its exploitation, and you never know who is hunting out there. I also do not understand the need for people to document every crevice of their lives on FB, but they do.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
Oscar Namechange

Question...

weeder;1419045 wrote: My grandchildren's photos have been splashed on FB from the moment they were born, and then every day after that for the past year. I feel this is very wrong, and potentially dangerous. Since the children do not have a choice, to me its exploitation, and you never know who is hunting out there. I also do not understand the need for people to document every crevice of their lives on FB, but they do.

See, there you've hit on what I felt.... the baby had no choice. Now pics can be uploaded onto Facebook from phones Immediately, I wondered If the baby's mother even had a choice. Within seconds of the baby drawing breath, I would Imagine her Mother would still be thinking ' Blimey, that hurt !!! seeing as she had a 9.8 lb whopper...

I can understand my Sister being the proud Grandmother but I just don't believe enough thought went Into It....
weeder

Question...

Post by weeder »

I have a daughter in law who puts things up on FB that make me cringe. I always wonder if she thinks what would my children think of this.......... Sadly, that seems to be the problem nowadays........ no thinking. Instant gratification seems to be the accepted thread that runs through many thoughtless actions. Glad its not my world.
Oscar Namechange

Question...

weeder;1419054 wrote: I have a daughter in law who puts things up on FB that make me cringe. I always wonder if she thinks what would my children think of this.......... Sadly, that seems to be the problem nowadays........ no thinking. Instant gratification seems to be the accepted thread that runs through many thoughtless actions. Glad its not my world. My Sister posts pics of her nails the moment she's had them done at the nail salon.

With the baby pic, came all the congratulations from her friends but I was actually the only one to ask how the baby's Mother was doing.

I do like Facebook In that having a large family I can see pics of the family from all over the country but It seems lately that It's become a popularity contest...and to see how many ' like's ' they can get.
weeder

Question...

Post by weeder »

Nails???? Your lucky.. my daughter in law puts her naked breasts up. Breastfeeding. And she challenges anyone who is appalled.

This is a well educated, almost 40 year old. Doesn't bother my son.......... so .. thats that.
Oscar Namechange

Question...

weeder;1419069 wrote: Nails???? Your lucky.. my daughter in law puts her naked breasts up. Breastfeeding. And she challenges anyone who is appalled.

This is a well educated, almost 40 year old. Doesn't bother my son.......... so .. thats that. OMG even my Sister wouldn't do that LOL
weeder

Question...

Post by weeder »

hahahahaha But True!!
Mister E

Question...

Post by Mister E »

I probably wouldn't post baby pictures on my Facebook page immediately either. But I believe what other people post on their Facebook pages is their business. I really don't have a problem with either choice. I think it's great you respected your niece's wishes. But if your sister wants to post her granddaughter's picture on her Facebook page then so what?

Ed. ETA: Oops, I think I misunderstood the OP's original post. I thought she was objecting to her sister putting the baby's picture on Facebook immediately. But now I understand she's objecting to the baby's picture being posted on Facebook at all. Having said that, I still stand by my own reply. It may not be what everyone else would do, but if the proud grandmother wants to post her granddaughter's picture on her own Facebook page then that's her business.
fuzzywuzzy

Question...

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

Hmmm tiggly one for me ...what grandparents and parents do with pics of their kids is their business. Not for me to say . I only started putting pics up of my boys when I saw that they were doing hte same ...so permission without consent.

But on the other hand. We had, in our family a delemma and subsequent disownership of a certain member of the family .... My dad was dead against being depicted on facebook by any member of the family...he didn't mind if he was one of a group of family members...but not on his own. specifically about him .... when he got sick a certain family member put a pic of him on FB with the info "he's dying".... OMG!!!! Did he ever go nuts!!! he wanted nothing to do with it and asked for it to be taken down . Get this ...In responce, this family member said they owned the pic and will do as they like . Because my father didn't have an account he couldn't complain to FB..........When he died my mum asked to uphold his wishes ....nope didn't happen . I asked permission for him to be included in my family past album and got it. But the way this person went about it ....it was really horrifying. Especially to my dad. That member of hte family even put a pic of his coffin up ...sick sick sick and my mum had to see that .
Bryn Mawr

Question...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

fuzzywuzzy;1419363 wrote: Hmmm tiggly one for me ...what grandparents and parents do with pics of their kids is their business. Not for me to say . I only started putting pics up of my boys when I saw that they were doing hte same ...so permission without consent.

But on the other hand. We had, in our family a delemma and subsequent disownership of a certain member of the family .... My dad was dead against being depicted on facebook by any member of the family...he didn't mind if he was one of a group of family members...but not on his own. specifically about him .... when he got sick a certain family member put a pic of him on FB with the info "he's dying".... OMG!!!! Did he ever go nuts!!! he wanted nothing to do with it and asked for it to be taken down . Get this ...In responce, this family member said they owned the pic and will do as they like . Because my father didn't have an account he couldn't complain to FB..........When he died my mum asked to uphold his wishes ....nope didn't happen . I asked permission for him to be included in my family past album and got it. But the way this person went about it ....it was really horrifying. Especially to my dad. That member of hte family even put a pic of his coffin up ...sick sick sick and my mum had to see that .

Sick indeed and at least borderline illegal I'd have thought.

Could no one else have complained to FB on his behalf?
Oscar Namechange

Question...

Bryn Mawr;1419409 wrote: Sick indeed and at least borderline illegal I'd have thought.

Could no one else have complained to FB on his behalf?

By co-incidence....

Facebook can be a dark place...

My teenage great niece Is being bullied by a man In his 40's... It started with him messaging her with ' Hi Sexy'... now he's turned nasty on her...

I put a status on her profile last night telling him It would take me 10 seconds to write his name there...... he's been very quiet since...
theia

Question...

Post by theia »

I wonder where all this unpleasantness was hiding prior to the internet...it had to be there for social networks to bring it out.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Question...

theia;1419452 wrote: I wonder where all this unpleasantness was hiding prior to the internet...it had to be there for social networks to bring it out. Have to agree.

In the case of my great niece, he wouldn't dare say the things to her that he does to her face, just hides behind his screen. It's the Anonymity that gives many the opportunity to bully when they don't have the balls to do It In person.

Return to “General Chit Chat”