The Moody Blues.

jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

Always ahead of their time this group never ever got the recognition they deserved.

These albums in particular are nothing short of brilliantly awesome!

Days of Future Passed (1967)

In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

On the Threshold of a Dream (1969)

To Our Children's Children's Children (1969)

A Question of Balance (1970)

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)

Current members Graeme Edge - drums, percussion, vocals (1964–present)

John Lodge - bass, guitar, vocals (1966–present)

Justin Hayward - guitar, vocals (1966–present)

Former members Ray Thomas - vocals, flute, percussion, harmonica (1964-2002)

Mike Pinder - keyboards, vocals (1964-1978)

Denny Laine - guitar, vocals (1964-1966)

Clint Warwick - bass, vocals (1964-1966; died 2004)

Rodney Clark - bass, vocals (1966)

Patrick Moraz - keyboards (1978-1990)

Anyone else like their music?
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bryn Mawr

The Moody Blues.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

jones jones;1419268 wrote: Always ahead of their time this group never ever got the recognition they deserved.

These albums in particular are nothing short of brilliantly awesome!

Days of Future Passed (1967)

In Search of the Lost Chord (1968)

On the Threshold of a Dream (1969)

To Our Children's Children's Children (1969)

A Question of Balance (1970)

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (1971)

Current members Graeme Edge - drums, percussion, vocals (1964�present)

John Lodge - bass, guitar, vocals (1966�present)

Justin Hayward - guitar, vocals (1966�present)

Former members Ray Thomas - vocals, flute, percussion, harmonica (1964-2002)

Mike Pinder - keyboards, vocals (1964-1978)

Denny Laine - guitar, vocals (1964-1966)

Clint Warwick - bass, vocals (1964-1966; died 2004)

Rodney Clark - bass, vocals (1966)

Patrick Moraz - keyboards (1978-1990)

Anyone else like their music?

Very much so - also the work put out by Justin Haywood and John Lodge under the BlueJays banner.

I must admit that I didn't realise they were still going.

I think, therefore I am, I think

Of course you are my bright little star and now to suit our great computer, you're magnetic ink

I'm more than that, at least, I think I must beGiven that was written in the 70s it has to go down as one of the prophetic statements in modern music

ETA My memory is going. I was sure I'd missed a "bit" but I missed loads - here it is in full :-

First Man:

I think...

I think I am.

Therefore I am!

I think...

Establishment:

Of course you are, my bright little star...

I've miles and miles of files

Pretty files of your forefather's fruit

And now to suit our great computer

You're magnetic ink!

First Man:

I'm more than that

I know I am...

At least, I think I must be

Inner Man:

There you go, man

Keep as cool as you can

Face piles of trials with smiles

It riles them to believe

That you perceive

The web they weave...

And keep on thinking free

jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

You're right Bryn ... totally awesome and there are so many more!!

"In The Beginning"

[First Man:] I think, I think I am, therefore I am, I think.

[Establishment:] Of course you are my bright little star,

I've miles

And miles

Of files

Pretty files of your forefather's fruit

and now to suit our

great computer,

You're magnetic ink.

[First Man:] I'm more than that, I know I am, at least, I think I must be.

[Inner Man:] There you go man, keep as cool as you can.

Face piles

And piles

Of trials

With smiles.

It riles them to believe

that you perceive

the web they weave

And keep on thinking free.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

House of Four Doors.

Mystery spead it's cloak

Across the sky

We'd lost our way

Shadows fell from trees

They knew why

Then thru the leaves a light broke thru

A path lost for years lead us thru

House of four doors

I could live there forever

House of four doors

Would it be there forever?

Lonliness, the face of pilgrims eyes was known

As the door opened wide

Beauty they had found before my eyes to see

To the next door we came

Love of music showed in everything we heard

Thru the third door where are we?

Enter in all ye who seek to find within

As the plaque said on the last door.
Snooz

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snooz »

How much recognition should they have received? I was always under the impression that they were hugely famous in the 60s, 70s and even the 80s.

This was a big hit on MTV back in the days when they actually played music videos.

The Moody Blues - I Know You're Out There Somewhere - YouTube
Betty Boop

The Moody Blues.

Post by Betty Boop »

I always loved Nights in White Satin, didn't take much notice of their other work, mind you, a lot of it was before I was born.
Bryn Mawr

The Moody Blues.

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1419277 wrote: I always loved Nights in White Satin, didn't take much notice of their other work, mind you, a lot of it was before I was born.

I keep forgeting that there are children amongst us.
Mister E

The Moody Blues.

Post by Mister E »

They'd already been around a few years by the time I was born (1969). And I've never really listened to them much, so I'm not all that familiar with most of theirs songs. But I really do like their 80s hit In Your Wildest Dreams.

Edward.
Wandrin

The Moody Blues.

Post by Wandrin »

When they came to town for a concert, a couple of years back, they played to a packed house in a large venue. It was a great concert.
YZGI

The Moody Blues.

Post by YZGI »

Their name matched their music more than any other band I can think of.
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1419276 wrote: How much recognition should they have received? I was always under the impression that they were hugely famous in the 60s, 70s and even the 80s.

This was a big hit on MTV back in the days when they actually played music videos.

The Moody Blues - I Know You're Out There Somewhere - YouTube

Ms Snooze; I was referring more to recognition from their peers and the record industry as a whole. They have a dedicated following and have had so since day one. i am their number one fan!
LarsMac

The Moody Blues.

Post by LarsMac »

Ah, for the days.

Back then, when someone released a new album, one of us would buy it, and we'd all go over to George's house. He had a righteous stereo system.

We would get toked up, and listen to the new album.

Moody Blues were one of the favorites. I still have the original vinyl from "In search of the lost Chord" and "On the Threshold of a Dream"
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
YZGI

The Moody Blues.

Post by YZGI »

LarsMac;1419417 wrote: Ah, for the days.

Back then, when someone released a new album, one of us would buy it, and we'd all go over to George's house. He had a righteous stereo system.

Moody Blues were one of the favorites. I still have the original vinyl from "In search of the lost Chord" and "On the Threshold of a Dream"

Wow. De javu.
Snowfire

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snowfire »

An excellent band, Not sure they were under rated though. I think they got the accolades they deserved
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
AnneBoleyn

The Moody Blues.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

JJ, there is a petition circulating to induct Moody Blues into R&R Hall of Fame, for which they have been overlooked yet again:

"The Moody Blues have been a formidable force in the world of Rock and Roll for 45 years. Their musical accomplishments both as a group and as solo and collaborative artists are numerous and unforgettable. Each member, both past and present, have exhibited enormous talent and professionalism.The Moody Blues have millions of fans throughout the world and the numbers grow as each day passes by. They are more than worthy of an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is long, long overdue! Please sign the petition and spread the word."

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/induct ... l-of-Fame/
gmc

The Moody Blues.

Post by gmc »

Sad git that I am I used to have all their LP's. I say used to as since the demise 0f the last car I had that a cassette player I've been left with a useless collection of tapes. So I have been having fun discovering anew all the bands I used to like moody blues amongst them. At least I can be selective now, not all they did was really good. Bit like Cream most of tgheir stuff i just can't stand.

War of the worlds was another favourite. Depends what mood I am in though.
Wandrin

The Moody Blues.

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1419417 wrote: Ah, for the days.

The aroma outside the auditorium where I heard them a couple of years back was very familiar. I think that you would recognize it imediately. I'm sure that it was all for perfectly legal medicinal use, of course. :-3
LarsMac

The Moody Blues.

Post by LarsMac »

YZGI;1419422 wrote: Wow. De javu.

All over, again.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

AnneBoleyn;1419434 wrote: JJ, there is a petition circulating to induct Moody Blues into R&R Hall of Fame, for which they have been overlooked yet again:

"The Moody Blues have been a formidable force in the world of Rock and Roll for 45 years. Their musical accomplishments both as a group and as solo and collaborative artists are numerous and unforgettable. Each member, both past and present, have exhibited enormous talent and professionalism.The Moody Blues have millions of fans throughout the world and the numbers grow as each day passes by. They are more than worthy of an induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It is long, long overdue! Please sign the petition and spread the word."

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/induct ... l-of-Fame/

Exactly Annie and about time! ... Dunno what they've done to be blacklisted in this way!
Snooz

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snooz »

Oh for god's sake, that doesn't mean they never got recognition and respect from anyone in the music business. It's a meaningless award, like pretty much every other award given out nowadays. Do you really think the winners of the Oscars are the very best actors, directors, etc of that year? Of course not.

Blacklisted, my ass.
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

Well your ass is your opinion lady. Just in case you think you gonna ruin this thread too by looking to pick a fight with someone, think again cos I ain't gonna bite.

You take care now and have an awesome day.
AnneBoleyn

The Moody Blues.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I don't think they were blacklisted JJ. My own beloved Laura Nyro was turned down for years & years. Of course, some did dispute whether she was actual R&R or some other category. There's a lot of R&B & Pop people taking up R&R space. That's Cleveland for you--the Mistake on the Lake!
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

Yeah Annie ... Who among us knows what goes on in other earthling's minds?
AnneBoleyn

The Moody Blues.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

jones jones;1419538 wrote: Yeah Annie ... Who among us knows what goes on in other earthling's minds?

If it's anything like mine, & I bet it's worse, not me!
Snooz

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snooz »

R&R Hall of Fame is meaningless. Madonna's in for one thing which completely destroys their credibility. They'vd inducted rappers.

10 Artists Not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame - Listverse

5 People Cheated Out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame | Cracked.com
Snooz

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snooz »

jones jones;1419531 wrote: Well your ass is your opinion lady. Just in case you think you gonna ruin this thread too by looking to pick a fight with someone, think again cos I ain't gonna bite.

You take care now and have an awesome day.

Right, next you're going to suggest I'm bullying you and you're going to report my post. You said something asinine and I responded.

Seriously. Blacklisted, my ass.
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

SnoozeAgain;1419548 wrote: Right, next you're going to suggest I'm bullying you and you're going to report my post. You said something asinine and I responded.

Seriously. Blacklisted, my ass.

I been here about five years on and off and I do believe that in that time I reported maybe a single post.

Bully moi ... The Chosen One? :yh_rotfl

Sûrement vous plaisantez la dame ? :wah:
Oscar Namechange

The Moody Blues.

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Snooze does make a good point.

The recognition of any band Is solely at the mercy of music journalists who rave about them.

Bands have been made and destroyed at the mercy of music journalists.

As an example... The Stranglers were rated as the most Inovative bands and Instigators of the British Punk scene ( although never being punk ), they were slated by the music press with every single release. They also have a massive hard core following but the UK press were only Interested In slating their antics.

If music journalists happen to be fans of a band they will wax lyrical for decades. Equally, If the music press don't rate a band, they can ruin them.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
jones jones

The Moody Blues.

Post by jones jones »

oscar;1419555 wrote: Snooze does make a good point.

The recognition of any band Is solely at the mercy of music journalists who rave about them.

Bands have been made and destroyed at the mercy of music journalists.

As an example... The Stranglers were rated as the most Inovative bands and Instigators of the British Punk scene ( although never being punk ), they were slated by the music press with every single release. They also have a massive hard core following but the UK press were only Interested In slating their antics.

If music journalists happen to be fans of a band they will wax lyrical for decades. Equally, If the music press don't rate a band, they can ruin them.

The flip side to that of course is that if a record label pays radio DJ's to plug certain songs, even a very mediocre piece can sometimes become a hit.
Oscar Namechange

The Moody Blues.

jones jones;1419562 wrote: The flip side to that of course is that if a record label pays radio DJ's to plug certain songs, even a very mediocre piece can sometimes become a hit.

Absolutely !!!

That was my point... weather a band ends up In the hall of fame Is at the mercy of music journalists and DJ's over the decades.... not always, that they deserve the recognition.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Snooz

The Moody Blues.

Post by Snooz »

oscar;1419568 wrote: Absolutely !!!

That was my point... weather a band ends up In the hall of fame Is at the mercy of music journalists and DJ's over the decades.... not always, that they deserve the recognition.

Which was my point as well, it's a meaningless award.

Here's another example... the Hollywood Walk of Fame is described in wikipedia as "The stars are permanent public monuments to achievement in the entertainment industry, bearing the names of a mix of actors, musicians, directors, producers, musical and theatrical groups, fictional characters, and others."

However much further in the article it says: "A fee ($30,000 as of 2012), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree. The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash." So basically you can buy your own star. Wow, what an honor.
AnneBoleyn

The Moody Blues.

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Right, Snooze. Howard Stern has turned down a Star on the Walk of Fame for the very reasons you stated. Also, the museum is located in Cleveland, home of the DJ Alan Freed who was one of the first to benefit from Payola, where the DJ is paid to play a song over & over, no matter it's musical worth.
Oscar Namechange

The Moody Blues.

SnoozeAgain;1419573 wrote: Which was my point as well, it's a meaningless award.

Here's another example... the Hollywood Walk of Fame is described in wikipedia as "The stars are permanent public monuments to achievement in the entertainment industry, bearing the names of a mix of actors, musicians, directors, producers, musical and theatrical groups, fictional characters, and others."

However much further in the article it says: "A fee ($30,000 as of 2012), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame. The fee is usually paid by the nominating organization, which may be a fan club, or a film studio, record company, broadcaster, or other sponsor involved with the prospective honoree. The Starz cable network, for example, paid for Dennis Hopper's star as part of the promotion for its series Crash." So basically you can buy your own star. Wow, what an honor.

WOW I didn't know that.... If I win the lottery i shall buy Jeane Jacques Burnel.

Return to “General Music”