Very Unhappy Member

A forum for ForumGardeners to post news about themselves.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I returned to the flat tonight after a cold, wet but enjoyable weekend at the Bromyard Folk Festival to find chaos - every drawer turned out, some obvious missing kit, paperwork everywhere ...

An obvious burglary but no obvious forced entry - strangely a police "Victim Care Card" on the kitchen worktop.

A call to the Police to report the event explained the card - the neighbours had reported the front door broken in and the Police had already been, done the forensics and re-secured the property. I'm now going round trying to work out exactly what's been stolen - my bike, three laptops (but not the power supply to one of them or any of the desktops), tools ... the search continues :-(
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I'm so sorry... everyone's nightmare scenario.

At least you are In one piece. I know It's no consolation right now but things can be replaced. Unfortunately the very Idea a stranger has entered your home Is one that stays for a long time. My Mother wanted to move house after being burgled years ago. It's a horrible feeling.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Betty Boop

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Betty Boop »

Oh my word, that's terrible Bryn. Hope you manage to work out exactly what has gone. Can't even begin to imagine how you must feel right now. :-4
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1436148 wrote: I'm so sorry... everyone's nightmare scenario.

At least you are In one piece. I know It's no consolation right now but things can be replaced. Unfortunately the very Idea a stranger has entered your home Is one that stays for a long time. My Mother wanted to move house after being burgled years ago. It's a horrible feeling.

I'll certainly be thinking of additional security over the next few days but there's no real damage done. The only really upsetting thing is that the bastards used the loo and didn't bother to flush it - animals! I bet they didn't even wash their hands afterwards :-(
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1436149 wrote: Oh my word, that's terrible Bryn. Hope you manage to work out exactly what has gone. Can't even begin to imagine how you must feel right now. :-4

I think I have the major items and I know that the contents are insured - next problem is working out who with?
flopstock

Very Unhappy Member

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1436147 wrote: I returned to the flat tonight after a cold, wet but enjoyable weekend at the Bromyard Folk Festival to find chaos - every drawer turned out, some obvious missing kit, paperwork everywhere ...

An obvious burglary but no obvious forced entry - strangely a police "Victim Care Card" on the kitchen worktop.

A call to the Police to report the event explained the card - the neighbours had reported the front door broken in and the Police had already been, done the forensics and re-secured the property. I'm now going round trying to work out exactly what's been stolen - my bike, three laptops (but not the power supply to one of them or any of the desktops), tools ... the search continues :-(

Be glad they didn't come in while you were sleeping and that you have good neighbors. I do hear that you need to be extra careful for a bit, as they make two trips because they know you will be having all new stuff to replace tht old stuff.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

along-for-the-ride

Very Unhappy Member

Post by along-for-the-ride »

So sorry to hear about this intrusion into your domain and the theft of your personal property.

Hubby and I were burglarized while we were at work a few years ago. Shock, helplessness, then anger. We did tighten our security afterwards. We made a police report, but our stolen items were never recovered. Hubby and I visited some pawn shops in the area, but to no avail.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Bryn Mawr;1436150 wrote: I'll certainly be thinking of additional security over the next few days but there's no real damage done. The only really upsetting thing is that the bastards used the loo and didn't bother to flush it - animals! I bet they didn't even wash their hands afterwards :-( Don't wish to alarm you but replace your toothbrushes... It's standard practice with burglers when they pee In your home.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

flopstock;1436152 wrote: Be glad they didn't come in while you were sleeping and that you have good neighbors. I do hear that you need to be extra careful for a bit, as they make two trips because they know you will be having all new stuff to replace tht old stuff.

I honestly don't think the sum total of all they've taken would make it worth their while - a few hundred between the lot of it? At a tenth the value of resale that's not many packs of fags (or whatever there drug of choice may be) once they've passed it on.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1436154 wrote: Don't wish to alarm you but replace your toothbrushes... It's standard practice with burglers when they pee In your home.

Thanks for the warning, consider it done.
flopstock

Very Unhappy Member

Post by flopstock »

Bryn Mawr;1436156 wrote: I honestly don't think the sum total of all they've taken would make it worth their while - a few hundred between the lot of it? At a tenth the value of resale that's not many packs of fags (or whatever there drug of choice may be) once they've passed it on.

That's the point though, waiting a bit for you to replace it with new and improved.
I expressly forbid the use of any of my posts anywhere outside of FG (with the exception of the incredibly witty 'get a room already' )posted recently.

Folks who'd like to copy my intellectual work should expect to pay me for it.:-6

Snooz

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Snooz »

I bet it was kids in your neighborhood that saw you leave for the weekend and knew you'd be gone.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

SnoozeAgain;1436159 wrote: I bet it was kids in your neighborhood that saw you leave for the weekend and knew you'd be gone.

Almost certainly - anyone watching the flat would know I'm away most weekends.

It also looks like they made their getaway on my bike and took what they could carry - they even nicked the carrier bags to take it in :wah:

They'd tried my guitar and then dropped it when they found it was cack-handed.

All of the heavy computer kit was left.

The hi-fi was too bulky to take.

Locks will be changed and I'm seriously considering internal CCTV to record any intrusion.
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Often discussed at our Safer, Stronger meetings with local police and Councillors, the police say the same people get burgled over and over again. The perbs have got away with It once and they know you're away for the weekends with something of value In the home each time.

Is It possible to put a cctv camera on the outside of your front door? Even If they smash It on entry, It will still have recorded their faces up to the point of disabling It.
Betty Boop

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Betty Boop »

I've always had timers for lamps to switch on and off when I've been away. Also have had neighbours who will pull curtains at different times. But then that's been odd weeks at a time not every weekend, even my neighbours would get fed up with every weekend and they're good friends.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1436161 wrote: Often discussed at our Safer, Stronger meetings with local police and Councillors, the police say the same people get burgled over and over again. The perbs have got away with It once and they know you're away for the weekends with something of value In the home each time.

Is It possible to put a cctv camera on the outside of your front door? Even If they smash It on entry, It will still have recorded their faces up to the point of disabling It.

I'd be more tempted to put two cameras inside the flat watching each other and watching both the front door and the patio window with a motion detector to only record at need but with the recording stored remotely.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Betty Boop;1436162 wrote: I've always had timers for lamps to switch on and off when I've been away. Also have had neighbours who will pull curtains at different times. But then that's been odd weeks at a time not every weekend, even my neighbours would get fed up with every weekend and they're good friends.

I generally do that but this was during the afternoon!
Lady J

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Lady J »

So sorry to hear this Bryn. I remember when there used to be a time when you didn't have to bother to lock your doors but those days are long gone.

Be safe!!
Bruv

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1436150 wrote: I'll certainly be thinking of additional security over the next few days but there's no real damage done. The only really upsetting thing is that the bastards used the loo and didn't bother to flush it - animals! I bet they didn't even wash their hands afterwards :-(

It has been known to leave a deposit on the coffee table or carpet...........................just for fun, you had amateurs or considerate professionals
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
AnneBoleyn

Very Unhappy Member

Post by AnneBoleyn »

Bryn, how awful, I'm so sorry. An invasion. I shudder to think of it happening here, now, but it did once happen to me:

In Oxford, I was in London for Xmas. I lived on the ground floor & when I approached, I noticed my curtains flapping IN. Nothing was stolen except my Xmas fruitcake was eaten (I knew it had to be a Brit, I would never eat that awful concoction) & someone had slept in my bed. There were a few bloodstains on the sheet, I guess the bugger injured himself breaking the window.
theia

Very Unhappy Member

Post by theia »

So sorry to hear this, Bryn, how awful for you.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Wandrin

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Wandrin »

I'm sorry hear that you have been a victim. That must be very unsettling.
Týr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Týr »

It was not I, despite my having no alibi yet between 8.30pm and 10pm on Saturday evening.

You've got off light by the sound of it. The new security arrangement might even bag the culprit.

Why have you changed the locks?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
YZGI

Very Unhappy Member

Post by YZGI »

That really sucks, If you would like to form a posse just let me know El Capitan!!
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Lady J;1436167 wrote: So sorry to hear this Bryn. I remember when there used to be a time when you didn't have to bother to lock your doors but those days are long gone.

Be safe!!

I was talking to the next door neighbours this evening to thank them for calling the Police and they said it's the first break-in they've heard of in the eighteen years they've lived here - c'est la vie
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1436175 wrote: It has been known to leave a deposit on the coffee table or carpet...........................just for fun, you had amateurs or considerate professionals

Considerate certainly - when they decided not to pinch my guitar they could just as easily decided to smash it as lay it on the setee.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1436182 wrote: Bryn, how awful, I'm so sorry. An invasion. I shudder to think of it happening here, now, but it did once happen to me:

In Oxford, I was in London for Xmas. I lived on the ground floor & when I approached, I noticed my curtains flapping IN. Nothing was stolen except my Xmas fruitcake was eaten (I knew it had to be a Brit, I would never eat that awful concoction) & someone had slept in my bed. There were a few bloodstains on the sheet, I guess the bugger injured himself breaking the window.

Now that would have upset me - sleeping in my bed is my job
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1436196 wrote: It was not I, despite my having no alibi yet between 8.30pm and 10pm on Saturday evening.

You've got off light by the sound of it. The new security arrangement might even bag the culprit.

Why have you changed the locks?

That was when I thought they'd forced the lock rather than smashed it out of the frame - the Police had made such an excelent job of fixing the frame and re-securing the door I'd not even noticed the damage.
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

It sounds like a quick smash and grab... opportunists. It could have been so much worse, some have their homes vandalised. I know that doesn't help but there Is a positive here.
Kathy Ellen

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I am so sorry to hear this sad news Bryn. I can't even imagine how you felt. I would have been terrified that they'd return.

All of my thoughts are with you to recover your losses and hope the bastards are caught. Cameras are a wonderful idea. Thankfully, you were not home at the time.

Please keep us updated with any news of the burglary xxx
Týr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Týr »

How have matters progressed? Are replacements on the horizon? Are the CCTV cameras installed?
Long Live General Kim Jong-un, the Shining Sun!
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Týr;1436464 wrote: How have matters progressed? Are replacements on the horizon? Are the CCTV cameras installed?

Cameras due to turn up anytimenow. Insurance assessor due to call next Monday.

Remember I said how good the Police were in re-securing the front door? The bill turned up yesterday - £200 to screw the lock back into the frame :-(

Ho hum, at least they closed it after them :-)
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Bryn Mawr;1436483 wrote: Cameras due to turn up anytimenow. Insurance assessor due to call next Monday.

Remember I said how good the Police were in re-securing the front door? The bill turned up yesterday - £200 to screw the lock back into the frame :-(

Ho hum, at least they closed it after them :-)

And how are you coping with the emotional side of things?
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1436485 wrote: And how are you coping with the emotional side of things?

Too busy to get emotional about it
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Bryn Mawr;1436486 wrote: Too busy to get emotional about it

That's good. It can be devastating for some.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1436488 wrote: That's good. It can be devastating for some.

My Gogmother is still suffering from depression caused by a break-in three years ago so I can well appreciate that.
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

Bryn Mawr;1436489 wrote: My Gogmother is still suffering from depression caused by a break-in three years ago so I can well appreciate that. My Mother wanted to move house after they were burgled years ago. I think men tend to be more matter of fact about burglary but women feel It an enormous Invasion of privacy.
AnneBoleyn

Very Unhappy Member

Post by AnneBoleyn »

What's a gogmother?

Some theories:

1. Anikó Góg, Hungarian triathlete

2. Gog or "gogledd", a person from North Wales

3. Biblical: Gog and Magog

4. Gog (Marvel Comics), a Marvel Comics super-villain and monster; and finally:

5. Gog (comics), a DC Comics super-villain (I don't know for sure if the last 2 Gogs are one & the same so I shall treat them as separate)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gog

One more: Gog: Pet name for Bryn
Oscar Namechange

Very Unhappy Member

AnneBoleyn;1436491 wrote: What's a gogmother?

It's the same as a dogfather only shorter.
Bryn Mawr

Very Unhappy Member

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AnneBoleyn;1436491 wrote: What's a gogmother?

Some theories:

1. Anikó Góg, Hungarian triathlete

2. Gog or "gogledd", a person from North Wales

3. Biblical: Gog and Magog

4. Gog (Marvel Comics), a Marvel Comics super-villain and monster; and finally:

5. Gog (comics), a DC Comics super-villain (I don't know for sure if the last 2 Gogs are one & the same so I shall treat them as separate)

Gog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One more: Gog: Pet name for Bryn

I'm no athlete so it could not be (1)

Having been born in South Wales it could not possibly be (2)

Having spent many years living close to the GogMagog Hills it could possibly be (3)

She's a lovely lady so it couldn't be (4) or (5)

So I guess I must be Gog in disguise :-)

Return to “Members' News”