Help for London

General discussion area for all topics not covered in the other forums.
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Due to Ill health, my Chauffeur and Secretary ie Peter Lake Is unable to drive me to London and I won't have the car.

This means public transport.

Anyone know the best way to get from Victoria coach station In one piece to Borough High Street SE1 ? London.

Is It far for a taxi or Is Tube the better option... It's been years since I have taken public transport In London.

Thanks In advance.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Help for London

Post by Bruv »

If you are not familiar with the underground, jump in a taxi, it may cost a tidy bit more but you will get door to door with no hassle.

Borough High st is basically London Bridge Station or there abouts and to get from Victoria to London Bridge I think you need at least one change on the tube, and for a poor country girl like you it maybe too much.

Map of the Route
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Bruv;1472025 wrote: If you are not familiar with the underground, jump in a taxi, it may cost a tidy bit more but you will get door to door with no hassle.

Borough High st is basically London Bridge Station or there abouts and to get from Victoria to London Bridge I think you need at least one change on the tube, and for a poor country girl like you it maybe too much.

Map of the Route

Thank you

I have to admit that the underground confuses me. My husband doesn't know It either despite being born and raised and working In London simply because he drives everywhere. I suppose weighing up the Congestion charges, It's better I jump In a Taxi.

Another Question.... My Coach stops at Harods In Knightsbridge.... would I be better getting off there rather than go to Victoria ?

eta... Have I got that right by your link.... 3.2 miles from Victoria ?
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bruv

Help for London

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1472028 wrote: Thank you

I have to admit that the underground confuses me. My husband doesn't know It either despite being born and raised and working In London simply because he drives everywhere. I suppose weighing up the Congestion charges, It's better I jump In a Taxi.

Another Question.... My Coach stops at Harods In Knightsbridge.... would I be better getting off there rather than go to Victoria ?

eta... Have I got that right by your link.... 3.2 miles from Victoria ?

No Harrods is further out........unless you want some plovers eggs......or something........remember Google is your friend........

Harrods
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Bruv;1472030 wrote: No Harrods is further out........unless you want some plovers eggs......or something........remember Google is your friend........

Harrods

Thanks... that's a great help.

So have I got this right... Victoria Is 3,2 miles from my destination ?
Bruv

Help for London

Post by Bruv »

Oscar Namechange;1472037 wrote: Thanks... that's a great help.

So have I got this right... Victoria Is 3,2 miles from my destination ?

3 point 2 miles to your destination ? You don't want much do you ?

I don't know your destination, but within a half a mile either way I would guess that is about right.
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Bruv;1472043 wrote: 3 point 2 miles to your destination ? You don't want much do you ?

I don't know your destination, but within a half a mile either way I would guess that is about right.

Thank you... You've been a huge help.....

That distance, I'll grab a black cab.... just booked my coach ticket on line at £22 Including return. A fraction of what fuel would cost me and Congestion and Parking charges.

Thanks for your help.
FourPart

Help for London

Post by FourPart »

Boris Bikes.
Bryn Mawr

Help for London

Post by Bryn Mawr »

FourPart;1472147 wrote: Boris Bikes.

Are you trying to kill the poor girl? Those roads on a Boris Bike would be a nightmare - they'd probably take you up the Embankment and across London Bridge :wah:

On the other hand, it would be a pleasant walk - up to Buckingham Palace, round Birdcage Walk, across Westminster Bridge would just about drop you at the top of Borough Road which drops you straight down onto Borough High Street. Just the thing to clear your head from the motorway journey before getting stick into a meeting.
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Bryn Mawr;1472151 wrote: Are you trying to kill the poor girl? Those roads on a Boris Bike would be a nightmare - they'd probably take you up the Embankment and across London Bridge :wah:

On the other hand, it would be a pleasant walk - up to Buckingham Palace, round Birdcage Walk, across Westminster Bridge would just about drop you at the top of Borough Road which drops you straight down onto Borough High Street. Just the thing to clear your head from the motorway journey before getting stick into a meeting.

Is It that close that walking could be an option ? I have booked my coach to arrive 2 hours early but that was to take advantage of the shops. I'd love to walk It as It appears, takes In landmarks.
Bryn Mawr

Help for London

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Oscar Namechange;1472153 wrote: Is It that close that walking could be an option ? I have booked my coach to arrive 2 hours early but that was to take advantage of the shops. I'd love to walk It as It appears, takes In landmarks.

Depends where on Borough High Street, it's quite long :-)

Two to three miles - you should have plenty of time as long as you don't get lost.
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Bryn Mawr;1472154 wrote: Depends where on Borough High Street, it's quite long :-)

Two to three miles - you should have plenty of time as long as you don't get lost. That;s the worry.
Snowfire

Help for London

Post by Snowfire »

Its a good hours walk but a good one. Lunch and a drink in Borough Market. Great food to be had there but not cheap (it is London)Or a drink in the George Inn, one of the oldest pubs around
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Help for London

Post by Snowfire »

Do you have a smart phone ? It'll help you navigate.

Winston Churchill
Snowfire

Help for London

Post by Snowfire »

A couple of minutes away is the Shard - you cant miss it. There's a viewing platform on one of the higher floors but I'm told its very expensive.

Oh and mind the roads at both Victoria and London Bridge, there is a lot of construction work going on

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Snowfire;1472161 wrote: Do you have a smart phone ? It'll help you navigate. Yes I do but can you show me how to work It first ?

Oh I know where the Shatd Is..

Borough Market ? I just googled It...... Oh my oh my... that's my spare two hours there then... can't wait.

Borough Market | Borough Market
Snowfire

Help for London

Post by Snowfire »

Re: The Shard viewing platform.

£30.00 Mmmm !!

Winston Churchill
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

Snowfire;1472177 wrote: Re: The Shard viewing platform.

£30.00 Mmmm !!

Bloody hell. I wouldn't pay that.
FourPart

Help for London

Post by FourPart »

Oscar Namechange;1472166 wrote: Yes I do but can you show me how to work It first ?

Oh I know where the Shatd Is..

Borough Market ? I just googled It...... Oh my oh my... that's my spare two hours there then... can't wait.

Borough Market | Borough Market

Download the app from somewhere like this, or the like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... L&hl=en_GB
Oscar Namechange

Help for London

FourPart;1472604 wrote: Download the app from somewhere like this, or the like.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... L&hl=en_GB

Thanks for taking the trouble to post that. It could help me In the near future. I have a new smart phone and I'm serious, I haven't worked It out yet. Yesterday, my husband bought me a brand new Notebook Windows 8... No doubt that will be months before I get around It.

Well everything went very well today. I am flat to the boards. Just 3 hours sleep last night and had to get up at dawn this morning and not been home long.

Getting to Victoria coach station, I was parched so decided to have a cuppa before finding a cab. I went In one of those trendy continental cafe's. In there, I had one of the most bizzarre, strange experiences I have ever had In my life. I'm no shrinking violet but It could have been quite disturbing to some. If anyone cares enough, I'll write a brief version.

Got a cab straight after that and It wasn't that far. Took about 20 minutes I'd say In heavy traffic. Great venue, great hospitality, lunch and drinks provided.

Hailed a Hackney In the street right outside the venue, had a right crack with a lovely cheeky cockney. Coach trip home was a dream. But sooo tired now,... Back to East London tomorrow.

Return to “General Chit Chat”